Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16851188 times)

djadeski and 103 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Squarewave

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #130400 on: August 21, 2022, 11:05:30 am »
Considering YT didn’t do anything for bullshit pedalling anti 5G wankers I wouldn’t even bother.

Sod 5G, it needs tons of antenna masts to propagate anywhere. It's practically useless.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #130401 on: August 21, 2022, 11:08:29 am »

I could do that. Actually my eldest's boyfriend is a semi-professional guitarist aka unemployed music student,

AKA.....bum.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130402 on: August 21, 2022, 11:10:38 am »
Considering YT didn’t do anything for bullshit pedalling anti 5G wankers I wouldn’t even bother.

Sod 5G, it needs tons of antenna masts to propagate anywhere. It's practically useless.

To mods: this is actually on topic. RF engineering :)

Actually it's fine. It has roughly the same propagation characteristics as 4G did. It sits between existing 4G and 5GHz WiFi. The band 2 range in the 10's of GHz region isn't used in Europe. That has some atmospheric absorption issues associated with it which seem to attract all the comments about propagation. But that isn't intended for outdoor use apparently.

Edit: I get full whack 5G here and the pole is about 1/4 of a mile away  :-+
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 11:12:54 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130403 on: August 21, 2022, 12:03:11 pm »

A bit DAB radio then, that sucks big time in a car
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Squarewave

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130404 on: August 21, 2022, 12:21:09 pm »

A bit DAB radio then, that sucks big time in a car

One of ours has dab in it, signal goes in and out all of the time. Can't beat good old FM.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130405 on: August 21, 2022, 12:26:00 pm »
FM goes out all of the time as well. It just degrades audio rather than the difficult to recover bitstream. Digital isn’t always the answer is it  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #130406 on: August 21, 2022, 12:35:00 pm »
Yuck. The coffee has a HP-ish color.  |O :-DD

Call that a cup of coffee? This is a cup of coffee:

If it's not as black as Louis Armstrong in a light-proof room, it's not black enough.

(I really thought that was a cup of builders tea with way too much milk in it, not coffee.)

bbbut ... This is Keysight black !!!  |O >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130407 on: August 21, 2022, 12:40:05 pm »
FM goes out all of the time as well. It just degrades audio rather than the difficult to recover bitstream. Digital isn’t always the answer is it  :palm:
I always find FM stands up far better than digital, even on local digital stations, sometimes it is almost impossible to get a continuous signal if the car is moving, but the same station on FM is rock solid. My car also has a built-in TV tuner in the boot and that is digital and the signal is so hit-and-miss that just moving the car a few metres can be the difference between being able to watch TV or not. When watching TV, you need to be stationary as the screen automatically blanks when moving at all speed, but leaves the audio on.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130408 on: August 21, 2022, 01:03:19 pm »
BTW insane BC183L pricing comes from 1968 fuzz face pedal hysteria going on at the moment. I just bought 200 crap ones and will put them in the cupboard for 20 years until there’s a supply shortage and hype event.

Also doing a spreadsheet of legendary pedals and transistor complement.

Ferengi mode on  :-DD

Well that explains it then, apparently I have a one of two, but probably not 20. Just didn't know the popular guitar pedal carp was using none Ge trannystors.

The BC183L seemed familiar for ones I've seen in TE at work, but I was wrong it was the BC182L (higher voltage rating), I won't say what it is, in case they start destroying those too, don't want to help them with my posts, same as I avoid mentioning Ni*ie choobs in my posts, as it would help google index information that is used against us.

David
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 01:05:49 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130409 on: August 21, 2022, 01:04:56 pm »
Good idea.  I don’t get it anyway. It’s a very boring transistor with no special characteristics or even any special crapness.

All the TE is now boxed for the move. Nothing to do now this week  >:(

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130410 on: August 21, 2022, 01:08:32 pm »
And for the page:

And this is where a full frame camera shines - when you go wide:

-Pat

Was too tried after yesterdays OT plumbing/drainage work that went a bit wrong, missed both this & that.

Actually have two of each.

David
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 01:12:02 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #130411 on: August 21, 2022, 01:15:44 pm »
   C902 lower right. There's C903 hidden behind that transformer. Must go ASAP.   
That transformer is a common mode choke, part of the mains input filter.  ;)

Yup. You can replace all that mess with a shiny new Schaffner filter.  >:D

mnem
*channeling Pitr today*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #130412 on: August 21, 2022, 01:16:15 pm »
Well I got woken up at 3AM by a system crash alert going off so definitely not hitting Rugby rally today after last night’s second thoughts. I wish everyone going good luck and bad luck. Good luck on finding something and bad luck for finding anything which I will be finding next week at MKARS  :-DD

Going to keep an eye out for OC44 transistors at these things now. I made fortune on the old OC81D’s back in peak pedals so perhaps it’s time for another round. Was getting £10 each and had most of a box of 500 of them. I bought half a car and a lot of curry with those transistors  :-DD
I checked through my transistor stocks.

No OC44s unfortunately but a few OC71s and OC75s. Maybe they will become valuable someday.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130413 on: August 21, 2022, 01:18:51 pm »
Good idea.  I don’t get it anyway. It’s a very boring transistor with no special characteristics or even any special crapness.

I read on another forum, that they used whatever cheap transistors were available at the time, guessing the people making new ones don't know enough to use anything else, or believe it won't sound right.

Now if they could start using that random ZTX type I have 900 of, I would be very happy.  :-DD

David

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #130414 on: August 21, 2022, 01:24:59 pm »

As with the JRC 4558 in say the Boss chorus pedals, most of the component choices were down to economics and other supply chain considerations.  We're talking about commercial products, built by people who had a job to do. For the chorus project I built, I swapped all opamps for TL072, and due to that I had to modify the feedback resistor for the first buffer stage, or levels would be too high.

The real problem in stomp boxes is various IC's like analog delay lines. Those are only made by people like Behringer these days, and at interesting prices, for what used to be a Matsushita jellybean.

I think that the fussing with "exact components" is down to people cloning (i.e Cargo Cult) vs people understanding and building (engineering). I'm the worst kind, I don't understand, yet I modify and build...

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130415 on: August 21, 2022, 01:25:58 pm »
   C902 lower right. There's C903 hidden behind that transformer. Must go ASAP.   
That transformer is a common mode choke, part of the mains input filter.  ;)

Yup. You can replace all that mess with a shiny new Schaffner filter.  >:D

mnem
*channeling Pitr today*

Isn't there one of IEC filters right next to it? the board is extra filtering, the 24** series have similar extra filtering.

David

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130416 on: August 21, 2022, 01:29:32 pm »
BLEEEEARRRRGHHH!!! Black coffee is for bitter people with dried up little souls. Like Sid.  ;)

You rang. Sitting here drinking the stuff  :popcorn:

Engineers and IT folk exist on the stuff mostly.

Edit: med knows how to coffee like an engineer  :-DD
Well, we all know I failed as a professional engineer... so I suppose your record is untarnished.  ;)

But I've done my time in the ivory tower in two different disciplines, and I knew plenty of actual Dilberts and BOFHes, and many of them were of similar mind; the bitter herb is a necessity, that doesn't mean you have to suffer for your addiction and drink it black just because other people say so, like you were a member of *hissss* management or summat.

All y'alls can have my moo sqweezins when you pry them from my cold dead claws. Prolly another 5-10 years at most.  :P

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130417 on: August 21, 2022, 01:31:19 pm »

I read on another forum, that they used whatever cheap transistors were available at the time, guessing the people making new ones don't know enough to use anything else, or believe it won't sound right.

Now if they could start using that random ZTX type I have 900 of, I would be very happy.  :-DD

David

That's exactly it. People have no idea how to substitute components.

Same problem with the hams and the good old MPF102. It's the worst FET ever made. Absolutely unbinned turd. 2N548x is the binned variety and goes for a fraction of the cost. But of course it featured in every ARRL design ever because the Crap Shack sold it. No one in any ARRL publication mentions that you usually have to try 2-3 of them in circuit to get one that works properly i.e has the right Idss for the circuit  |O

Also that reminds me about the Elecraft K2 problem back in the day. They shipped a bunch of marginal J310's from a supplier so the primary VFO synth osc didn't start up. They don't have design parameters on hand or anything so I stuffed a J309 I had lying around in there as it's same series, just binned different and it worked. This caused quite a kerfuffle over whether or not it'd work with their usual fix it guy telling me that it was in no way suitable. I still have the J310 they sent me as a replacement lying around in a box somewhere.

Still easy to make some money out of assembly workers with no brain up top  :-//

The following users thanked this post: Wolfgang, mnementh, factory, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130418 on: August 21, 2022, 01:33:34 pm »
Well I got woken up at 3AM by a system crash alert going off so definitely not hitting Rugby rally today after last night’s second thoughts. I wish everyone going good luck and bad luck. Good luck on finding something and bad luck for finding anything which I will be finding next week at MKARS  :-DD

Going to keep an eye out for OC44 transistors at these things now. I made fortune on the old OC81D’s back in peak pedals so perhaps it’s time for another round. Was getting £10 each and had most of a box of 500 of them. I bought half a car and a lot of curry with those transistors  :-DD

Fortune favors the bold.

mnem
 >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130419 on: August 21, 2022, 01:39:40 pm »
...And this is where a full frame camera shines - when you go wide:

-Pat

"Open the pod bay doors please, Hal..."

mnem
*toddles off to tighten up his rather loose associations*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130420 on: August 21, 2022, 01:44:51 pm »
BTW insane BC183L pricing comes from 1968 fuzz face pedal hysteria going on at the moment. I just bought 200 crap ones and will put them in the cupboard for 20 years until there’s a supply shortage and hype event.

Toldja.

mnem
:-/O

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #130421 on: August 21, 2022, 01:45:35 pm »

David

That's exactly it. People have no idea how to substitute components.

Same problem with the hams and the good old MPF102. It's the worst FET ever made. Absolutely unbinned turd. 2N548x is the binned variety and goes for a fraction of the cost. But of course it featured in every ARRL design ever because the Crap Shack sold it. No one in any ARRL publication mentions that you usually have to try 2-3 of them in circuit to get one that works properly i.e has the right Idss for the circuit  |O

Also that reminds me about the Elecraft K2 problem back in the day. They shipped a bunch of marginal J310's from a supplier so the primary VFO synth osc didn't start up. They don't have design parameters on hand or anything so I stuffed a J309 I had lying around in there as it's same series, just binned different and it worked. This caused quite a kerfuffle over whether or not it'd work with their usual fix it guy telling me that it was in no way suitable. I still have the J310 they sent me as a replacement lying around in a box somewhere.

Still easy to make some money out of assembly workers with no brain up top  :-//

The obvious answer is to bulk buy a jellybean equivalent, and re-mark them as TI brand BC183L...   :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #130422 on: August 21, 2022, 01:47:57 pm »
When watching TV, you need to be stationary as the screen automatically blanks when moving at all speed, but leaves the audio on.

That's easily defeated. ;)

Heck, the Toyota dealership installed the defeat button for us when we bought the car, with a handshake agreement that we won't watch TV while driving.
I only use it to show Google maps from my phone via the HDMI port I optioned in to the car.

At least 1/4 of Japanese drivers like watching the latest crappy variety show on the way home from work though...........
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130423 on: August 21, 2022, 01:49:00 pm »
The obvious answer is to bulk buy a jellybean equivalent, and re-mark them as TI brand BC183L...   :popcorn:

China have that market cornered already :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130424 on: August 21, 2022, 01:49:37 pm »

Why not put out working PCB-designs for those circuits on e.g. Github? People can then order & stuff the boards themself  >:D

I could do that. Actually my eldest's boyfriend is a semi-professional guitarist aka unemployed music student, so I can probably bend him to actually demo something on YT to leverage it  :-DD :-DD :-DD

No, no, no... you cannot do it on a PCB; they're too organized. The electrons won't get confused in the right way unless you built it deadbug/point-to-point... :P

mnem
...and charge $1000/hr labor. >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf