Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18105293 times)

theHWcave and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #128600 on: August 04, 2022, 11:27:23 am »
I'd follow a pinball thread. For nostalaga if nothing else. It was part of my first full time job and kept me afloat when I whent back to college later.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #128601 on: August 04, 2022, 11:32:51 am »
question: would it be interesting to see a pinball repair thread ?

It's not really applied electronics but combines a multitude of tasks and I have not really a clue if it would be of any interest to anyone outside of our little community ?

Go for it. This is the right section: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/

First pinned thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/vintageclassic-renovation-techniques/

:)

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: tautech, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #128602 on: August 04, 2022, 11:34:29 am »
I actually advertise and link to this thread in videos as a place where the test equipment obsessed. I don't want people to come here expecting test equipment talk and get guns, videos, and other random chat.
This thread isn't something I'd actively recommend to someone untll I knew they had the right personality/weltanschauung.
I had no idea you mentioned it outside these hallowed walls.

At 5000 something pages, it's a phenomenally impressive thread!
I basically use it as a boast about how the EEVBlog forum is THE place to be if you are into test equipment.

I think, this thread has transformed in something more than just the biggest thread in the EEVBlog forum. It is a kind of community with inhabitants from all over the world. They meet here regularly, discussing mostly TE stuff and sometimes other topics but from my point of view they are always coming back to TE. Another reason for why I'm looking at this thread as a community is, that the TEA members are helping each other if they can, e.g. sending spare parts, helping organizing things in other countries as locals etc.

Yes, there are differences and yes, I totally agree to exclude certain topics such as guns, religion, politics, health things (Covid for example). They have clearly the potential to damage this community and I'd really prefer to see this not going to happen. There are enough dysfunctional things going on all around the world and this place is something like a comfort zone, showing me, that there are other people outside which are sharing similar interests of mine.

Occasionly OT stuff such as weird videos, little personal stories etc. which aren't directly TE related are for me something like colour dots and sometimes a source of inspiration. But they should not take too long or drift too far way.

TL;DR
Thank you for being such tolerant mods and also thank you for being tough when it's necessary.
I for myself do really appreciate the balance you and your co-moderators have found.
My (our) part is to endure the things that run counter to my (our) views and to ask now and then to stay on topic.

This is the nutshell. When I first came to eevBlog, I was just forum-diving looking for some advice on selecting a new scope, and looking for a good home for some of my unused TE. Then I found the TEA thread, and spent some time reading and lurking... I really wasn't looking for a new timesink at the time; I'd just pulled the plug on /. and Furkbook and had absolutely zero interest in (anti)social media at all.

But after a while this space grew on me, and I eventually stop resisting the urge to participate; the freeform "nerds at play" nature of the thread at that time was fun, and there was very little ego in the space at all. Pretty much anything was welcome, and as long as it related even tangentially to collecting equipment we didn't even really care that it was specifically TEST equipment, either; it was the addiction that was the common bond.

Oh, and cats. Then the dog counterinsurgence... For some reason we spent an inordinate amount of time discussing furry family of all kin. ???

We were a weird bunch, and while I did occasionally look around at the other content on the forum, it was pretty obvious that those spaces were very technically oriented, and tended to be very narrow in focus, and not at all tolerant of even moderate attempts at humor. Usually a joke would be dissected for technical accuracy rather than laughed at...  :o

So I started staying mostly in here... this was the addiction thread, and it was tolerant of the humor, and sharing of other interests, and in general, anything that involved any form of tools or engineering was welcome; as was the occasional role-playing play, and we even had some poor attempts at song-writing. And Vogon Poetry.  :wtf:

So yeah... I guess the fact we were still a small proportion of the server resources let us fly under the RADAR for a long time... but eventually the popularity of the thread made it impossible to ignore. And now here we are.

mnem
*mostly harmless*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #128603 on: August 04, 2022, 11:38:57 am »

It's not really applied electronics but combines a multitude of tasks and I have not really a clue if it would be of any interest to anyone outside of our little community ?

I think those interested in pinball machines would find it invaluable. With the emphasis on "find" :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #128604 on: August 04, 2022, 12:08:45 pm »
I would be interested.

It's not really applied electronics
Now there I would have to disagree.  It IS applied electronics ... applied to a recreational activity I'm sure most, if not all, of us here have had some experience.

but combines a multitude of tasks and I have not really a clue if it would be of any interest to anyone outside of our little community ?
Maybe, maybe not - but, IMO, what matters is that WE will have an interest.  If the rest of the internet wants to dive in, they are free to do so.  We will appreciate your efforts ... and most certainly will learn of some repair techniques that may prove useful.

I say, go for it!

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #128605 on: August 04, 2022, 12:10:47 pm »
In the mean time my Nakamichi OMS 7 Mk 2 is back among the living. I am glad that I have this back, this is one of my fav CD players.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128606 on: August 04, 2022, 12:11:31 pm »
Pin spare parts ordered. Eff. Repair of that ST TNG will easily cost 1k.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #128607 on: August 04, 2022, 12:21:59 pm »
Pin spare parts ordered. Eff. Repair of that ST TNG will easily cost 1k.

Some time ago I've written a repair report about a Braun 8mm projector:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/repair-of-a-braun-visacustic-2000-digital-8mm-projector/

This is a rare machine but interestingly, I got questions and enquiries from whole Europe.
Schematics are hard to find and when they appear, they got deleted a few days later.
So I decided to put this schematic permanently online and as you can see, it got downloaded over 200 times.

When you're going to share your knowledge and sources, be prepared for all sorts of questions and comments.  :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, duckduck

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128608 on: August 04, 2022, 01:00:12 pm »
My eldest Son is a huge fan of Monster cables, having worked in Currys, which for those that don't know, is a huge chain of stores in the UK selling anything electrical from washing machines through to mobile phones and audio gear. He was sent to a training course run by Monster Cables, and they do a brilliant job of brainwashing people IMO.

He swears that he can hear the differences in sound quality and also see the differences in video quality, even though I recall reading an in depth review of such cables over normal standard ones using test equipment and the results showed no advantage was apparent.  :popcorn:

The idea of audible differences is of course plain and utter nonsense.

But there is indeed a problem with cheap ready-made audio cables. The amount of copper, especially for the screening, has been reduced drastically over the last years. Three strands of copper aren't a proper screen!

The problem is made worse by the fact that our local energy supplier uses 1350 Hz tones transmitted via the mains to control street lighting, switching counters from day to night rates etc. Other cities do this at frequencies between 200 und 400 Hz. 1350 Hz is the point where our ear is most sensitive. I've had to throw away a number of cables bought lately and I'm now making my own with high-grade microphone cable stock.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128609 on: August 04, 2022, 01:05:35 pm »
Very boring repair. I'm disappointed  :-DD
[...]
Total time elapsed was about 15 minutes. I expect more trouble for my money!!!!!!  |O

You have to pay more to get more trouble!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128610 on: August 04, 2022, 01:06:23 pm »
My eldest Son is a huge fan of Monster cables, having worked in Currys, which for those that don't know, is a huge chain of stores in the UK selling anything electrical from washing machines through to mobile phones and audio gear. He was sent to a training course run by Monster Cables, and they do a brilliant job of brainwashing people IMO.

He swears that he can hear the differences in sound quality and also see the differences in video quality, even though I recall reading an in depth review of such cables over normal standard ones using test equipment and the results showed no advantage was apparent.  :popcorn:

But there is indeed a problem with cheap ready-made audio cables. The amount of copper, especially for the screening, has been reduced drastically over the last years. Three strands of copper aren't a proper screen!

The problem is made worse by the fact that our local energy supplier uses 1350 Hz tones transmitted via the mains to control street lighting, switching counters from day to night rates etc. Other cities do this at frequencies between 200 und 400 Hz. 1350 Hz is the point where our ear is most sensitive. I've had to throw away a number of cables bought lately and I'm now making my own with high-grade microphone cable stock.

That's why you use balanced audio. It's common mode noise then and thus rejected :-//

A shitty balanced XLR cable is better than a good 1/4" patch...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, duckduck, Neper

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128611 on: August 04, 2022, 01:09:39 pm »
Very boring repair. I'm disappointed  :-DD
[...]
Total time elapsed was about 15 minutes. I expect more trouble for my money!!!!!!  |O

You have to pay more to get more trouble!

I don't know about that. My hamfest purchases have recently been a good balance of cost and trouble so far. Not too expensive. Not impossible to fix. Not too easy to fix. Very satisfied overall.

On that subject, next hamfest for me is the FRARS one on 14th August. Decided yes I can be arsed to drive down there and yes I can be arsed to move house with whatever I am buying  :-DD

Anyway back to today's job: cloud cost management. Yawn

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #128612 on: August 04, 2022, 01:10:52 pm »
Does anyone buy useless (to them) low-price test equipment to just scavenge for parts?

For example here's a Sonet test set -

HP 37704A Sonet Test Set  $56

eBay auction: #295120014901

The thing is of no use to me, but it might have $56 worth of parts inside, I don't really know. What do you guys think, have you ever done this?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128613 on: August 04, 2022, 01:15:38 pm »
Does anyone buy useless (to them) low-price test equipment to just scavenge for parts?

The thing is of no use to me, but it might have $56 worth of parts inside, I don't really know. What do you guys think, have you ever done this?

I wouldn't bother. It's SMD era kit and mostly digital.

The 3776A I bought was about peak reuse. Was £17.49 shipped  :-DD

I already made £50 on ebay off two of the LED displays. Have reused a bunch of parts for the Marconi 2022E repair and the HP 427A refurb.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128614 on: August 04, 2022, 01:20:39 pm »
That's why you use balanced audio. It's common mode noise then and thus rejected :-//

I've got rid of most of the trouble by using TOSlink, especially for the long cable runs between the office and the living room.

Still, converting a rather elaborate hifi system to all symmetrical isn't the easiest thing to do. This darned interference shouldn't be there in the first place. Only three towns in Germany use this antiquated system with such a high frequency. I'm still hoping the IoT will kill it sooner or later.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128615 on: August 04, 2022, 01:25:22 pm »

might be worth buying.  just for bragging rights when the thread hits page 37704.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, factory, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, Zoli

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #128616 on: August 04, 2022, 01:27:24 pm »

If you are using test gear at least a little bit to fix the pinball machines, I don't mind seeing a bit here and there.

Or at least link us to it when you have new news so we can see the latest updates. :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 01:39:25 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #128617 on: August 04, 2022, 01:31:24 pm »
Just in a case you don't know about them:
https://www.iconoclastcable.com/
Actually engineered cables for quality; beside they're open and detailed about the designs - totally opposite to the audiophoolery.
As bonus, look up Blue Jeans Cable(one of the partners; the other is Belden) vs. Monster cables; fun read.

It says they use silver solder on their RCA cables, but I wonder why bother soldering a high end cable when you can use Canare RCA connectors that are crimped to the cable in the same way a BNC is crimped to avoid the heat affecting the cable, and the extra dissimilar metals.

https://www.canare.co.jp/en/products/connectors/index.php?tid=2_015

Now, if only they would make a crimp type 1/4" mono plug...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 01:33:55 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128618 on: August 04, 2022, 01:56:33 pm »
Problem with the OMS 7 was a bent switch holder and the switch not staying closed. May have to swap it out at some time, should have a spare out of 2 parts units.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128619 on: August 04, 2022, 01:58:33 pm »
Now on the table: Nakamichi RE 3 receiver (test unit) plus 2 Yamaha monitor speakers (one with broken woofer). Once the RE is tested: rebuild the Quadral Montan. Once that is done: rebuild the 2nd stereo set.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128620 on: August 04, 2022, 02:02:25 pm »

A shitty balanced XLR cable is better than a good 1/4" patch...

you are certainly right about that, but I cannot refrickle my stuff to balanced audio. It would involve f*ckering up the cases which I am not inclined to do. I will however use decent shielded cable. And decent connectors. Such as https://www.amazon.de/Oehlbach-High-End-Cinch-Stecker-Kabelquerschnitt-Vollmetallstecker-Gold/dp/B000FS9AJE/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=WBT&qid=1659621689&s=home-theater&sr=1-7
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 02:14:02 pm by Saskia »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128621 on: August 04, 2022, 02:03:55 pm »
[..}
These will go splendidly with a Nakamichi SR3 or SR4 receiver. [...] Unless Vince makes a fuss about it it will go to the game/arcade room.

No fuss Saskia, just do whatever pleases you, it's your gear and money not mine ! ;D
As long as it manages to play music, it's good enough... told you, no fuss here ! >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128622 on: August 04, 2022, 02:13:11 pm »
oh, that was meant as "it's inexpensive, I want it ...)

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128623 on: August 04, 2022, 02:15:24 pm »

Yeah, for parts or just to take to bits, if it's cheap enough. One of them was an ex-army telephone line test unit bought for a fiver. It came in its steel transit case which was worth that much, as a toolbox or just for general storage.

With a something like the HP 37704A for $56 I'd have to know it well enough to be sure there was something in there worth having. I'd sport $5 without hesitation.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128624 on: August 04, 2022, 02:47:07 pm »
And decent connectors. Such as https://www.amazon.de/Oehlbach-High-End-Cinch-Stecker-Kabelquerschnitt-Vollmetallstecker-Gold/dp/B000FS9AJE/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=WBT&qid=1659621689&s=home-theater&sr=1-7

Oehlbach is for posers. The products I've seen from them were nothing to write home about.

If you want decent RCA plugs, the ACPR series from Amphenol is fine. They may not have the same poser appeal but mechanically and electrically they're more than good enough. If you really want to go over the top, use Neutrik. No improvement over Amphenol but more prestigious if that means anything to you.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 02:49:12 pm by Neper »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf