Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17734985 times)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #128225 on: August 01, 2022, 06:55:03 pm »
That quality of print would be perfect for printing very genuine broken HP feet  :-DD

In defense of broken HP feet, in my experience their demise is typically the result of the wonderful 'packing' job that many sellers do.  Truth be told, I'm surprised that more of them don't break!

I'll never understand the thinking process behind "Oh, a layer or two of corrugated cardboard and no other cushioning is adequate to ship a heavy instrument!"   :wtf: :palm:

There are far too many idiots in the world - we need to remove most warning labels and let Darwin resume his noble work.

-Pat

I know someone who makes a large part of his income selling antiques, and particularly model trains, on ebay. He said that when he first started, he didn't realise how well packed things had to be. He soon found out.

Someone comes by a piece of test equipment like that. They picked it up at an auction or it came from a deceased family member. They sell it on ebay. They are struggling to find a box to put it in. They have to go out and buy plastic chips and bubble pack, so they are tempted not to.

I've heard stories of bakelite radios turning up in pieces, packed in a couple of plastic carrier bags. That is plain stupid.

Then there's the treatment these things receive at the hands of the courier. That can be anything from normal rough treatment, chucked in the back of vans, to thrown 5 ft onto concrete.

This clown literally built the box around the instrument - it was custom fitted and glued up, apparently with spray adhesive.  Zero clearance, and zero cushioning.  And I've heard horror stories of old tube radios, too - unless you put something inside the cabinet to brace the chassis, a solid hit in the wrong direction will easily tear it free of its mountings and trash everything.  People need a fundamental grasp of physics, but that seems to be something that's sorely lacking these days.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #128226 on: August 01, 2022, 07:01:11 pm »
Either too many dropped on their heads as a infant, or not enough as a adult to learn the lesson.  :-DD

mnem
*back at the Dr's office*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128227 on: August 01, 2022, 07:12:01 pm »
I need to get it in property again ASAP but can’t until this deal is 100% closed and I’m out.

The problem is that the property prices have been rising (ridiculously) over the past couple of decades due to the low bank loan rates.

The estate agent mantra is "don't worry about the multiple you are borrowing, only the affordability matters". Until, that is, rates rise, people lose jobs, can't afford repayments and negative equity looms. The last time that happened "Bradley Stoke" was renamed "Sadly Broke". I remember the earlier version where interest rates went from 9% to 15%. That hurt, and I avoided the issue in '89.

Now, if "cash is king" isn't true anymore and property isn't liquid (or edible!), where should money be stashed? Answers in a PhD thesis, please.

Security against other peoples stupidity is what your investment should be in. That means:

1. A property that you own outright with no mortgage ties or leases to look after.
2. Enough cash to survive an intermediate crash of society.
3. Energy independence.
4. Transport independence.
5. Not requiring employment.
6. A house full of stuff to piss around with.

I’ve nearly ticked all the boxes now  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, grizewald, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128228 on: August 01, 2022, 07:13:49 pm »
Yeah saw that one and considered it. Have too many meters already  :-DD
I did consider it myself for a while there, but decided against it after discovering that my occupational pension pot has had almost 30% of its value wiped out since Dec 2021 thanks to this bloody cost of living crisis. So I'll have to keep on with my state pension and topping that up monthly from my inheritance that Mum left me, while hoping that the economy turns around and starts to inflate the pension pot again, fingers crossed  :'(

Mind you, it would keep my other 1906 company, trouble is that it has no bleeding diode mode  :wtf:

Meant to add regarding pensions. Having similar problems in that department. I was going a ridiculous matched contributions deal where I put 22% of my salary into pension and company contributes a matching 22%. But at the end of the day it’s not worth it because the 22% contribution won’t break even when I cash it in.  So I’ve shit canned my whole contribution now.

I’m not even going to start on the whole cash situation. I need to get it in property again ASAP but can’t until this deal is 100% closed and I’m out.

With the rate the inflation is shooting up here in the UK, now might be a good time to start buying up all the wheelbarrows possible because people are going to need them to carry all their money in when they go shopping, and then use them again when they wheel home the loaf of bread they managed to grab for a barrow load of cash  |O |O |O

They’ll still take Apple Pay. I don’t think I use cash for anything now apart from hamfests.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128229 on: August 01, 2022, 07:15:25 pm »
Went to the Chippenham hamfest. Put some treasures in the car, but couldn't be bothered to try to sell anything in a field in the drizzle.

One bloke had a three Tek2712 and two Tek492 21GHz spectrum analysers. One of the former was shown working on a pure sine wave inverter; the display was just about visible. One 492 had a broken blue screen shield and was missing a handle, which is essential for that lump of metal. Said he would sell them for £300, but hadn't when I left.

Didn't get much. A couple of metal enclosures for £1 each, yet another Cropico resistance box (cal ran out in 2014) all resistors measure OK, and some banana plugs.

I don't think much is sold at rallies for over £250 a pop.

What with one thing and another I missed it. It's small but it's been OK and worth the trip when I've been there in the past.

FRARS and Rugby are next for me. Rugby has been pretty good. I used to go up the A429 (Fosse Way) which was a nice drive, but they've turned it into one big speed trap.

I’m considering FRARS. Can make a day out of it and go and play on the coast for a bit.

Main concern is that it’s close to my moving date and I’ve got enough shit already to move  :-DD

Wimborne, right? Bit of a slog from this side of London for a 10am start. That's the problem with hamfests, earlyish start combined with being somewhere that's not worth an overnight stay beforehand.

I’m probably going to wild camp somewhere around Swanage the night before if I can be arsed and it’s not pissing it down by then. That’s worth a go.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128230 on: August 01, 2022, 07:17:46 pm »
Security against other peoples stupidity is what your investment should be in. That means:

1. A property that you own outright with no mortgage ties or leases to look after.
3. Energy independence.

Depends on what number you put on number 2, but I guess four out of six is ticked here.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128231 on: August 01, 2022, 07:22:35 pm »

3. Energy independence.

Depends on what number you put on number 2, but I guess four out of six is ticked here.

You only need 18 months cash in the bank that isn’t shrinking if you are employed. If you’re not you need enough for a zero intercept about ten years after your life expectancy. Anything past that, cash isn’t going to be the constraining factor.

Offline Squarewave

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128232 on: August 01, 2022, 07:24:19 pm »
Went to the Chippenham hamfest Radio Rally. Put some treasures in the car, but couldn't be bothered to try to sell anything in a field in the drizzle.

One bloke had a three Tek2712 and two Tek492 21GHz spectrum analysers. One of the former was shown working on a pure sine wave inverter; the display was just about visible. One 492 had a broken blue screen shield and was missing a handle, which is essential for that lump of metal. Said he would sell them for £300, but hadn't when I left.

Didn't get much. A couple of metal enclosures for £1 each, yet another Cropico resistance box (cal ran out in 2014) all resistors measure OK, and some banana plugs.

£300? Some people are dreamers! Wanted to go to this Rally hamfest Radio Rally, but didn't manage to get down there today.

The 492 is a reasonable SA, and a good one is probably worth £300. I have no opinion about the 2712. I doubt many 40yo things sell for £300 at a hamfest Radio Rally.

(See, I too can change your statement without explicitly noting it)

There's better to be had for less or even similar money though.

Any examples? (My experience is with a 492AP)

I don't know of any 21 GHz or even 18GHz SA that can be reguarly had for less than £300 never mind are better than a 49x. Well, the ancient Polrad things turn up sometimes but they are generally only good for parts. Even a working HP 141T + 8555A is likely to fetch £300 and no way is it better in any respect than a 492.
I paid £600 for a 492BP which I thought was a good price. Mind you it is in perfect condition and came with cover, diplexer and 28.5 GHz mixer. The 492BP is a bit rare and hits a sweetspot in perfomance / features / reliabilty as long as you don't need 10 Hz RBW.

That's a good point, I missed the frequency at first, but I never need to go that high, so for the frequency range, certainly. I just love the Marconi lay out and the way it works, for the cycles I work with. I've kind of lost my love of Tektronix lately where as I used to love them.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #128233 on: August 01, 2022, 09:20:16 pm »
ok, did just 30 minutes of overtime today, then decided to do a bit of leisure stuff, went to bed and took a nap.
Woke up to write this post ...

Spacedock ...

1555246-0

Fuck those gorillas. For those of you who are unfamiliar: dual layer electrical insulation tape instead of the 4" pinball rubber. Fucktards.

left cannon not working correctly.
Let's take it apart ...

Take a look at the bushing ...

I guess the ultrasonic will do overtime ...

Will most likely grab me some Flunatec https://www.flunatec.com/produkt/fluna-gun-coating-fluessig/ to lubricate this properly.

Looking at the gunk that has collected on the playfield it appears I have to actually tear down the playfield and give those various parts a thorough cleaning.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128234 on: August 01, 2022, 09:28:40 pm »
more other news. Located a preamplifier today that I have been lusting to get for the past 5 years.
mah wallet hurtz ...

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-E88B.html

Vince would get a heart attack.

Ah yes, the only Sony that is rated "better preamp" is the Sony TA-ER 1. Was listed in 2017 for 8000 USD and apparantly sold.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 09:49:09 pm by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128235 on: August 01, 2022, 09:41:32 pm »

3. Energy independence.

You only need 18 months cash in the bank that isn’t shrinking if you are employed. If you’re not you need enough for a zero intercept about ten years after your life expectancy. Anything past that, cash isn’t going to be the constraining factor.

Assuming you would be able to access your money in your bank account. I was actually shopping for a safe recently to keep money (or other valuables) at home. After watching couple of youtube videos you realize that finding a good safe is not easy nor cheap.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 09:51:42 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128236 on: August 01, 2022, 09:45:35 pm »
Yeah saw that one and considered it. Have too many meters already  :-DD
I did consider it myself for a while there, but decided against it after discovering that my occupational pension pot has had almost 30% of its value wiped out since Dec 2021 thanks to this bloody cost of living crisis. So I'll have to keep on with my state pension and topping that up monthly from my inheritance that Mum left me, while hoping that the economy turns around and starts to inflate the pension pot again, fingers crossed  :'(

Mind you, it would keep my other 1906 company, trouble is that it has no bleeding diode mode  :wtf:

Meant to add regarding pensions. Having similar problems in that department. I was going a ridiculous matched contributions deal where I put 22% of my salary into pension and company contributes a matching 22%. But at the end of the day it’s not worth it because the 22% contribution won’t break even when I cash it in.  So I’ve shit canned my whole contribution now.

I’m not even going to start on the whole cash situation. I need to get it in property again ASAP but can’t until this deal is 100% closed and I’m out.

With the rate the inflation is shooting up here in the UK, now might be a good time to start buying up all the wheelbarrows possible because people are going to need them to carry all their money in when they go shopping, and then use them again when they wheel home the loaf of bread they managed to grab for a barrow load of cash  |O |O |O

They’ll still take Apple Pay. I don’t think I use cash for anything now apart from hamfests.

Also my case. I never carry money anymore. Just came back from a little trip in the United States and a lot of their toll roads only take cash. I had a little problem at the first one I encountered  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128237 on: August 01, 2022, 09:51:31 pm »
They do have EZ pass ..

In the excrement hits the encabulator case you should also have some non standard things to trade for bread, food, water, ...
Like a flock of Kangaroos, or a forest of Maple trees ...
I am sure you get the gist ...

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128238 on: August 01, 2022, 09:52:40 pm »
They do have EZ pass ..

In the excrement hits the encabulator case you should also have some non standard things to trade for bread, food, water, ...
Like a flock of Kangaroos, or a forest of Maple trees ...
I am sure you get the gist ...

EZpass is for locals, I just have mastercard. Would be so easy just to tap your card to pay for the toll.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128239 on: August 01, 2022, 09:53:44 pm »
you can rent cars that have EZ pass ...

but I digress ...

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128240 on: August 01, 2022, 09:54:24 pm »
you can rent cars that have EZ pass ...

but I digress ...

It's easier to find cash  ;D

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128241 on: August 01, 2022, 10:00:39 pm »
might part with http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-E86B.html when the 88 arrives.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128242 on: August 01, 2022, 10:04:16 pm »
or will look for this http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-N86B.html which is also truly excellent.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128243 on: August 01, 2022, 10:11:12 pm »
Then there's the treatment these things receive at the hands of the courier. That can be anything from normal rough treatment, chucked in the back of vans, to thrown 5 ft onto concrete.

Although they don't say this specifically in their terms and conditions, my local post organisation has been seen telling customers who have had their goods destroyed during transport that any package has to be able to withstand having 35kg dropped on it from a height of two metres. About the only thing which would survive that is a sheet steel box!

I know why they say it as well. Packages get sorted on an automatic parcel sorter which images all sides of a box to find the address as it is carried on a conveyor. A computer reads the postcode and when the box passes an exit on the conveyor for the correct area, the box is simply shunted off the conveyor into a cage. If your parcel happens to be the first in the cage, anything up to the maximum allowed weight can subsequently be dropped on top of it. The cages that the parcels are sorted into are nearly two metres tall and the height of the conveyor needs to enable the cages to be placed at the exit belt.

This also means that adding "Fragile" or other such tapes to your package is totally irrelevant. Everything gets loaded into the same sorting machine and all packages are handled the same way.
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, dl6lr

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128244 on: August 01, 2022, 10:12:53 pm »
more other news. Located a preamplifier today that I have been lusting to get for the past 5 years.
mah wallet hurtz ...

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-E88B.html

Vince would get a heart attack.

Ah yes, the only Sony that is rated "better preamp" is the Sony TA-ER 1. Was listed in 2017 for 8000 USD and apparantly sold.

Sounds fine to me. 8000 would pay for most of the construction materials I need to build my garage  8)

The plat du jour is the concrete slab. Need about 1500 Euros to pour the concrete. Selling a couple knobs of this amp should do it.
If you sell the power cord and a transistor or two, should pay for the concrete blocks and steel reinforcements I will then need to erect the walls.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128245 on: August 01, 2022, 10:16:07 pm »
you need to either install TomTom maps on your phone and pay the subscription or grab one of their stand alone sat navs with lifetime free updates to maps and camera database, that way you get a gentle reminder if you're speeding on most roads and also get advance warning of any speed cameras and red light cameras as you approach them. I have never received a speeding ticket in 56 years of driving.

Can you please explain to me what legitimate use a red light camera warning system is. The only use case I can see is for scofflaws who want to deliberately run most red lights (endangering everybody in the process) and not get caught by the few traffic lights with enforcement cameras. There is no plausible explanation of how technology designed to subvert red light enforcement is going to contribute to road safety.

We've had the conversation about speed cameras before and I'll just reiterate my argument that if you're going to exceed the speed limit than you should be exercising enough attention and observation that spotting a speed camera well in advance is child's play by comparison. If you don't have the skill to do that then you shouldn't buy a chunk of electronics to allow you to speed with impunity. Better still, just don't speed.

I'm not going to utterly condemn something that reminds you what the speed limit is the way I do devices designed to subvert speed and red light enforcement cameras, but again, if your observation is so poor that you can't figure out the speed limit of the road you're on, then it's so poor that you'd fail a driving test, and thus really shouldn't be driving unsupervised until you've improved it.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Robert763, AVGresponding

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128246 on: August 01, 2022, 10:18:11 pm »
I need to get it in property again ASAP but can’t until this deal is 100% closed and I’m out.

The problem is that the property prices have been rising (ridiculously) over the past couple of decades due to the low bank loan rates.

The estate agent mantra is "don't worry about the multiple you are borrowing, only the affordability matters". Until, that is, rates rise, people lose jobs, can't afford repayments and negative equity looms. The last time that happened "Bradley Stoke" was renamed "Sadly Broke". I remember the earlier version where interest rates went from 9% to 15%. That hurt, and I avoided the issue in '89.

Now, if "cash is king" isn't true anymore and property isn't liquid (or edible!), where should money be stashed? Answers in a PhD thesis, please.

3. Energy independence.

You missed out the moat, drawbridge and machine gun emplacements.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128247 on: August 01, 2022, 10:19:31 pm »

There are far too many idiots in the world - we need to remove most warning labels and let Darwin resume his noble work.

-Pat

The problem with idiots is that they also are allowed to drive cars if they can manage to pass a driving test. Sure, Darwinian law manages to sort them out in the end, but they often take others along with them. My experience driving home to Stockholm this Sunday was a prime example. I was only an hour late home as there was still one exit on the motorway between me and the accident so that I could eventually navigate around the pile up that I could see was probably going to happen and eventually did.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128248 on: August 01, 2022, 10:21:16 pm »
@Vince I do not have the TA-ER. So I cannot sell it. and I would not, if I had it.

@Cerebus I would go for simpler installations. Charlie has shown us how, so I would try to locate some bamboo sticks, a shovel, some stuff to conceal the sticks with, ...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128249 on: August 01, 2022, 10:25:09 pm »
you need to either install TomTom maps on your phone and pay the subscription or grab one of their stand alone sat navs with lifetime free updates to maps and camera database, that way you get a gentle reminder if you're speeding on most roads and also get advance warning of any speed cameras and red light cameras as you approach them. I have never received a speeding ticket in 56 years of driving.

Can you please explain to me what legitimate use a red light camera warning system is. The only use case I can see is for scofflaws who want to deliberately run most red lights (endangering everybody in the process) and not get caught by the few traffic lights with enforcement cameras. There is no plausible explanation of how technology designed to subvert red light enforcement is going to contribute to road safety.

We've had the conversation about speed cameras before and I'll just reiterate my argument that if you're going to exceed the speed limit than you should be exercising enough attention and observation that spotting a speed camera well in advance is child's play by comparison. If you don't have the skill to do that then you shouldn't buy a chunk of electronics to allow you to speed with impunity. Better still, just don't speed.

I'm not going to utterly condemn something that reminds you what the speed limit is the way I do devices designed to subvert speed and red light enforcement cameras, but again, if your observation is so poor that you can't figure out the speed limit of the road you're on, then it's so poor that you'd fail a driving test, and thus really shouldn't be driving unsupervised until you've improved it.

I only apply my absolutism to software engineering  :-DD

And with that can the regular fistycuffs folk please refrain from fucking up this thread thanks. I'm going to bed. Hopefully there is no ruin in the morning.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf