Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17742007 times)

Eric-H, onsokumaru and 86 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #127900 on: July 29, 2022, 11:21:11 am »
Email just received from my neighbor across the street -

Without going too much trouble, can you create a 1.6 Megahertz sound that can listen to and see on some kind of scope?

I've been watching a series on History Channel about Skinwalker ranch in Northern Utah where weird things have been happening for decades.  When weird things happen, a 1.6 megahertz sound is audible and it shows up on a scope.  The ranch is isolated and the sound could not be coming from a radio signal, satellite, or any known source.

I'll be calling him tomorrow ...  :popcorn:
Might that be 1.6mHz? There are some observations from the Eifel area of similar phenomena. When heterodyned up into the audible range, it sounds like 'Mooo', but it is of geophysical origin. I think Wolfgang Friese wrote about that too.

Possibly. I am not going to get into it via an email response - way too hard. Gotta be a phone call or visit. Clearly he can't mean a sound emission @ 1.6 MHz, who knows? I'll let you know what he was thinking.

mnem
"Today's mission is to go to the Brain slug Planet... all you have to do is walk around, not wearing a helmet..."    :o
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 03:38:14 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127901 on: July 29, 2022, 11:25:26 am »
An approx 2 foot cube wooden crate just arrived. Addressed to SWMBO but it's from ARC eurotrade  :-//

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/default.aspx

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127902 on: July 29, 2022, 11:54:37 am »
Blooming surplustest on ebay uk

Solartron 7150 plus with pre-blown RIFA (discharge visible aroud mains inlet)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403800084939?

NOT a spectrum analyser that apparently didn't sell at a rally for £10, now £50  :palm:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403800169971?

There suddenly seem to be lots of HP435 power meters about. Maybe they've always been there and I haven't noticed them.

Aren't they useless without the sensors? They never mention them so I assume they aren't there. I believe you can still get them but they are pricey and they are also easily damaged. I've got a 432A which I bought a few years back for a tenner, and I'm sure that was the story with that.
435A uses same cable/sensor as 436A, 437B and 438A. Even those are cheap anymore... Last 3 times I shopped them I was able to find one of the 3 models listed as tested using known good sensor guaranteed working for $30-50, sans cable & sensor of course.

mnem
 :-/O

When I bought my HP nixie counter, the seller also had some power meters.  My priority was the nixie counter!
He was offering a HP 436A with cable & sensor for $350.  HP 436A on its own was $35 CDN.
After the counter, I barely had cash left for the 436A.  I figured I could call him back later when I found some money, or that patience and ongoing searching would turn up a cable & sensor.  Been searching almost 2 years... but the only cables & sensors found have been over $1k CDN  :o
Yup... similar experience here. When I first looked into them for my RC FPV hobby, I found a 437B and matched 8481 sensor complete with fitted box for $250 shipped/Continental US. Not knowing any better I balked, since the ImmersionRC RF Meter most FPV hobbyists relied on at the time was only $150. Once I'd done a few hours research I realized what an amazing deal that 437B was and went back for it, but of course it was gone. Been searching for a "reasonable" deal ever since.   :P

If you're seriously looking, TE Depot has the 8481H sensor as a refurb for $295:

https://www.testequipmentdepot.com/usedequipment/hewlettpackard/powersensors/8481H.htm

It hurtz, but really not likely gonna find that sensor anywhere else any more reasonable with any kind of warranty, or even a good chance of getting one that isn't just charcoal inside. :-//

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 11:59:43 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127903 on: July 29, 2022, 11:58:39 am »
An approx 2 foot cube wooden crate just arrived. Addressed to SWMBO but it's from ARC eurotrade  :-//

https://xkcd.com/325/

mnem

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127904 on: July 29, 2022, 12:05:36 pm »

Heavy-duty industrial sewing machine?  >:D

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #127905 on: July 29, 2022, 01:02:54 pm »
Thanks med!
The plugin is whole again with the replacement of the broken knobs. ;D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127906 on: July 29, 2022, 01:03:31 pm »
I recall throwing out a whole drawer full of 3.5 floppies. But I still have CD's dating back to OS/2 Warp.  :-DD

OS/2 Warp is this newish thing. PC-DOS 2.1 floppies (5,25") and lots of CP/M stuff still around here. Anyone here still remember DOS 1.x with no subfolders?

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #127907 on: July 29, 2022, 01:24:43 pm »
While we are on the subject of Operating Systems... Anyone know how to make a DOSFS partition for VXWorks?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 01:26:34 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127908 on: July 29, 2022, 01:26:01 pm »
Speaking of coding and programming...

Anyone in need of a handful of NOS Motorola MC68705? Just found ten of them while I was looking for something else. Still no trace of something else, though.

Interestingly yesterday I got a programmer for those. But cannot test the programmer... It is socket adapter SA41 for my Kontron EPP-80 with MDM module.

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!

So some evidence of the programmer adapters. Got only bare boards, so I printed some cradles that resemble those made by Kontron. Installed and labeled them.
Here is the one programmer in test action after repair:

The following users thanked this post: Vince, exor, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127909 on: July 29, 2022, 01:44:02 pm »
Some more pictures of the third new adapter, I was seeking for years. It is for i874x devices, used for keyboard and I/O controllers in PCs and Tek units.
More informations on both programmers on my web site: http://radiobastler.de/Kontron/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127910 on: July 29, 2022, 01:45:40 pm »

Well she failed at keeping your TE addiction under control, seeing as you keep buying stuff in her back, using a separate bank account.
So I guess she is thinking, since I can't make it stop, I might as well join him in his delirium to level things out.

So now she won't complain about you buying stuff anymore, but now you have yourself another even worse problem I am sure you never anticipated : you now have COMPETITION, you will have to SHARE the garage space with her, it's not all yours anymore. SHE will start amassing stuff as well now !!!

You are doomed, sorry.

I think what's in the box are a few power tools and accessories. I think for starters she bought a power drill and some hole saws. She will make a hole in the garage wall so she can spy on you, see what you are doing in the garage when she is busy cooking dinner.

I think you eventually traded one problem for another, that you this time may not have a solution for.... basically you're screwed....sorry....

« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 01:49:12 pm by Vince »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127911 on: July 29, 2022, 02:15:23 pm »

Oh no, mansaxel said Win95 has everything that's needed out of the box... how do I do then ?

As I wrote earlier, yes, that is true. But you have to put on your 90s head to do it.

On the Linux box, install or enable a FTP server. (google "enable ftp server ubuntu" or whatever distribution you have) Make a note ("ifconfig") about the IP address of that box.

On the windows box, open a DOS prompt, and start going back in time:

c:\> cd c:/vince/gpib/dumps/ <- where you put the file
c:\> ftp 192.0.2.44 <- swap in IP address of your Linux box (that address is a RFC 5737 example address)
Login with your user and password of the Linux machine. 

This will go in CLEAR TEXT over the LAN. That's why I was adamant on it being almost OK on only that LAN and nowhere else.

For classic ftp daemons, as long as you're approved.  you'll now be in your home directory on the target machine. Check with "ls":

ftp> ls
229 Extended Passive Mode OK (|||45379|)
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.

You should see the same as "ls" on your linux box shows, in that folder.

On the target, you might want to do a new folder:

ftp> mkdir gpib
257 "gpib" directory created.
ftp> cd gpib
250 CWD command successful.

Now you're in that new folder.  Time for file transfer.
The memory dump is binary, right? Not a text file?
Then, put the file transfer in binary mode.

ftp> bin
200 Type set to I.

Transfer the file (I'm assuming it's called vincescp.dmp):

ftp> put vincescp.dmp
local: vincescp.dmp remote: vincescp.dmp
229 Extended Passive Mode OK (|||38311|)
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'vincescp.dmp'.
100% |********************************************************************************************************************************************|  1172 KiB   40.36 MiB/s    00:00 ETA
226 Transfer complete.
1200989 bytes sent in 00:00 (11.53 MiB/s)
ftp>

Done! Don't forget to be polite:

ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.

And you have the file on the usable computer.  Easy as Tarte Tatin!

Thanks Mansaxel, will print it out for reference and give it a try when I am motivated  >:D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127912 on: July 29, 2022, 02:20:08 pm »
Update time on the accidental calculator eBay purchase, its arrived and wouldn't you know it, it also needs the same 12 digit LED bubble type display as the last one  :palm: So now I'm looking for 2 display modules or 2 similar calculators that may have other issues, but could be possible donors for the displays.

The calculators are made by Commodore and the displays I need are the ones as used on their LED display special function type, i.e, scientific, financial, statistician or navigator type of offerings.   

Just in case I attach the pictures again of the display type I need, you never know, someone might have some or know where I could try to find them?

Like this one?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/ottawa/vintage-commodore-us1-desktop-calculator/1614231598
Nope, that is only 8 digits. Both the patients have 8 digits plus a further 2 for the mantissa, another for the negative sign and another as the spacer between the mantissa and the rest of the displayed digits.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127913 on: July 29, 2022, 02:22:02 pm »
OK tried it..... but the computer says NO : Tektool doesn't work, see error below.
Windows complains about something, Tektool can't execute...
Something to do with a timer related function inside of a "Kernel32"  DLL / library.
Maybe I need a more recent version of that DLL  :-//
See ? Nothing comes easy... I am cursed.

For the Field Adjustment Software, check the Tekwiki for your scope model number, I've been uploading everything I find there.
You'll need to install the software on your PC, and run it natively in DOS (Not a DOS window in Windows) but the readme with the Field Adjustment Software will tell you what to do.
Also, install this USB driver attached below, I've had good success in getting USB sticks to work on old Win98 machines using it. :)

2. To make the USB work on your computer, TERRA Operative linked file is the last you've need to install; until then, you have to do cleanup in BIOS, cleanup in device manager, install the proper drivers, then install the mass storage driver(linked by TERRA Operative).
3. And yes, I have 2(two) win95 OEM(OSR1&2) disks, with the proper S/N's; but that will come later to the discussion.

OK, so no need to wipe Windows and reinstall then, from you write here ? Good  8)
Well unless "Cleanup device manager" is your way of saying "wipe windows to make sure we start from a clean sheet ! "  :-DD

IIRC it was a pain to get the IRQ stuff to work for the ISA and sound cards, I am not particularly looking forward to spending hours again  doing it all over again. Well I guess I could now just write down the current settings, that would save me lots of time upon reinstalling everything, I guess...

I guess that now I have the USB stick share on the Network hence out of trouble, it's best not to mess with the computer until I have managed to extrzact the F/W from the scopes. Once that's done then I won't need the computer anymore so I can afford to do all kinds of nasty things to it, no problem  >:D

Online Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #127914 on: July 29, 2022, 02:29:17 pm »
The Tektool works in a DOS window, even in Windows 10 (how I use it), the TDS Scope Field Adjustment Software is the one that needs the native DOS environment.
That's raises the question: Is Tektool a DOS program, or just a win32 console one. I've tried to run a 16bit DOS under win10, see the result:

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127915 on: July 29, 2022, 02:47:46 pm »
I recall throwing out a whole drawer full of 3.5 floppies. But I still have CD's dating back to OS/2 Warp.  :-DD

OS/2 Warp is this newish thing. PC-DOS 2.1 floppies (5,25") and lots of CP/M stuff still around here. Anyone here still remember DOS 1.x with no subfolders?

I remember hitting a 256 file limit on an Apricot XI 10 (non IBM MS-DOS compact desktop with 10MB HDD)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127916 on: July 29, 2022, 02:48:53 pm »
That's raises the question: Is Tektool a DOS program, or just a win32 console one. I've tried to run a 16bit DOS under win10, see the result:

It is not a DOS program, it is a 32bit console application. I think Matt never released the sources as he claims, he is "not a programmer and the code is ugly".

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Zoli

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127917 on: July 29, 2022, 02:50:51 pm »

Well she failed at keeping your TE addiction under control, seeing as you keep buying stuff in her back, using a separate bank account.
So I guess she is thinking, since I can't make it stop, I might as well join him in his delirium to level things out.

So now she won't complain about you buying stuff anymore, but now you have yourself another even worse problem I am sure you never anticipated : you now have COMPETITION, you will have to SHARE the garage space with her, it's not all yours anymore. SHE will start amassing stuff as well now !!!

You are doomed, sorry.

I think what's in the box are a few power tools and accessories. I think for starters she bought a power drill and some hole saws. She will make a hole in the garage wall so she can spy on you, see what you are doing in the garage when she is busy cooking dinner.

I think you eventually traded one problem for another, that you this time may not have a solution for.... basically you're screwed....sorry....

She already has 5 bins of west african wax-print fabric in the garae, just working on shifting that out.....

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Online Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #127918 on: July 29, 2022, 02:55:56 pm »
OK, so no need to wipe Windows and reinstall then, from you write here ? Good  8)
Well unless "Cleanup device manager" is your way of saying "wipe windows to make sure we start from a clean sheet ! "  :-DD

IIRC it was a pain to get the IRQ stuff to work for the ISA and sound cards, I am not particularly looking forward to spending hours again  doing it all over again. Well I guess I could now just write down the current settings, that would save me lots of time upon reinstalling everything, I guess...

I guess that now I have the USB stick share on the Network hence out of trouble, it's best not to mess with the computer until I have managed to extrzact the F/W from the scopes. Once that's done then I won't need the computer anymore so I can afford to do all kinds of nasty things to it, no problem  >:D
Agree: don't mess with the system until you've finished the the current work, then you can proceed with tinkering/reinstall.
To reinstall the system, you will need the original CD(s). As it stands, I don't recommend to reinstall anything on the current HDD - keep it as backup. Get an Compact Flash - IDE adapter(look for the MB plugin type), a CF card, and you can start experimenting when you have the time. As operating systems, this computer can run up to Windows 2000; I would recommend win98SE.

It is not a DOS program, it is a 32bit console application. I think Matt never released the sources as he claims, he is "not a programmer and the code is ugly".
That's explains the behaviour; looks like it uses the newer/complete win32 API.
Vince, put the computer aside until we figure out something.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127919 on: July 29, 2022, 03:01:38 pm »
GPIB FUN

OK tried it..... but the computer says NO : Tektool doesn't work, see error below.
Windows complains about something, Tektool can't execute...
Something to do with a timer related function inside of a "Kernel32"  DLL / library.

Maybe I need a more recent version of that DLL  :-//

Terra is killing me with this GPIB stuff. Went to bed at 5H30 last night, fell asleep at 7H30 and woke up at 14H30.
It's 16H45 now and I just finished my chocolate milk breakfast bowl only 5 minutes ago.
And I am supposed to start on my new job in 10 days. No, it's not looking good.... :palm:

Anyway.
The error I get when starting Tektool :

" Le fichier TEKTOOL.EXE est lié à une exportation manquante KERNEL32.DLL : CreateWaitableTimerA ".

Now it's in French but it's still jargon I am not familiar with, so still not "French" to me.

But as I understand it, TEKTOOL is trying to call/make use of a function named "CreateWaitableTimerA" that's stuffed in that KERNELL32.DLL file, and it can't find it.

I Googled a bit and found a website that lists all the functions present in KERNAL32.DLL, and there is one called  CreateWaitableTimer but that's it. There is NO CreateWaitableTimerA

Typo from the programmer ? Doubt it...

So I Googled for CreateWaitableTimerA specifically and found not much, but did find one site that clearly documents it :

https://www.gladir.com/CODER/CWINDOWS/createwaitabletimera.htm

So it DOES exist....

So it looks like, I think, this 'A' version of the function, was not available on the KERNELL32 as shipped with my old Win95. It probably was added / introduced in later versions of Windows.
Since TEKTOOL is a very modern tool, designed recently by a chap in Germany on this forum... it's likely he programmed TEKTOOL on a more modern Windows version / platform, hence he assumed that the 'A' version of the function is available, he took it for granted.... But he shouldn't have.

So I guess an easy test for me to do is simply replace the KERNEL32.DLL file in my computer with one from a more modern Windows. Some Win98 or later OS... and see what that does !

Anyone can pass me one, please ?....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 03:09:27 pm by Vince »

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127920 on: July 29, 2022, 03:03:07 pm »
Some more pictures of the third new adapter, I was seeking for years. It is for i874x devices, used for keyboard and I/O controllers in PCs and Tek units.

Can I make you happy with a few of those? I think I have a lifetime supply considering that I don't even have a programmer for it (I think...) I suspect they are compatible with the Intel version?

Warning: Large Picture!

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127921 on: July 29, 2022, 03:21:28 pm »
Can I make you happy with a few of those? I think I have a lifetime supply considering that I don't even have a programmer for it (I think...) I suspect they are compatible with the Intel version?

Well, they are quite compatible. I once had a problem programming a D8748 with the old Willem programmer. It failed, where an intel worked. But that old programmer does not conform to defined levels and waveforms per datasheet, mostly you have luck and it works.
So if you want to get rid of some of those, you can put them in my bin :D

If one needs such an oldie programmed, drop me a note.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127922 on: July 29, 2022, 03:24:28 pm »
Agree: don't mess with the system until you've finished the the current work, then you can proceed with tinkering/reinstall.
To reinstall the system, you will need the original CD(s). As it stands, I don't recommend to reinstall anything on the current HDD - keep it as backup. Get an Compact Flash - IDE adapter(look for the MB plugin type), a CF card, and you can start experimenting when you have the time. As operating systems, this computer can run up to Windows 2000; I would recommend win98SE.

Oh, you want me to throw money at this thing !  :scared:
Well I guess it all depends on how much this will cost... not going to throw 100 Euros at it, but if it's cheap enough why not.

One problem though, is that I think I don't have a Windows CD. IIRC the machine came with its own install CD that copied a complete "image" of the installed system. It makes 2 partitions and I bet if would crash / not work if it does not see the same hard drive that the machine was designed with.

Now I guess I could try to install a generic copy of Windows 98SE as you suggest, but I don't have one. The only Windows install CD I have is for WinXP SP1 or SP2 IIRC. Got it in early 2002 I think.

OK so looks like I was on the right track then.
I guess before we give up completely, we could try to figure out what version of Windows did supply a KERNELL32.DLL file with that comes with the function " TimerA " that's missing from mine. Then install that one my machine.

Well, stupid me. The website I linked above tells you just that !

Here again :

Says it does indeed come in KERNEL32.DLL, but only in NT4+, 2000, 2003, and XP.

So I will look in my copy of WinXP and get that file...

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127923 on: July 29, 2022, 03:25:22 pm »

So if you want to get rid of some of those, you can put them in my bin :D

If you PM me with the location of your bin I'll send you a few. Might be after the weekend though, but I guess you're not in a hurry ;)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #127924 on: July 29, 2022, 03:40:27 pm »

Oh, you want me to throw money at this thing !  :scared:
Well I guess it all depends on how much this will cost... not going to throw 100 Euros at it, but if it's cheap enough why not.

One problem though, is that I think I don't have a Windows CD. IIRC the machine came with its own install CD that copied a complete "image" of the installed system. It makes 2 partitions and I bet if would crash / not work if it does not see the same hard drive that the machine was designed with.

Now I guess I could try to install a generic copy of Windows 98SE as you suggest, but I don't have one. The only Windows install CD I have is for WinXP SP1 or SP2 IIRC. Got it in early 2002 I think.

OK so looks like I was on the right track then.
I guess before we give up completely, we could try to figure out what version of Windows did supply a KERNELL32.DLL file with that comes with the function " TimerA " that's missing from mine. Then install that one my machine.

Well, stupid me. The website I linked above tells you just that !

Here again :

Says it does indeed come in KERNEL32.DLL, but only in NT4+, 2000, 2003, and XP.

So I will look in my copy of WinXP and get that file...
Replacing the kernel32.dll with the XP one will render your system inoperable, since the new kernel don't have the support files needed to function.
Looks like the only option to get wintektool running on your computer is windows NT4.0 or 2000; now this will raise a problem with the pure DOS programs=Dual Boot.
Adapters and pricing: look for CF2IDE and SD2IDE, specifically the 40(NOT the 44) pin version.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf