Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18116023 times)

onsokumaru and 61 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #127675 on: July 27, 2022, 03:21:11 pm »
Oooh I so want one of those testers after Curious Marc showed it  :-DD

Any chance to build one on your own?

It's a kit although you have to ask for it on a mail form which I can't be bothered with. Also the firmware is entirely closed source and it may have issues with some device types.

I was slightly tempted to do an open source version of it if I'm honest but it'd be ripped off by China in 30 seconds and I can't be arsed anyway. Would rather be playing with analogue things :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #127676 on: July 27, 2022, 03:21:43 pm »
Parting with north of £20 for a jigsaw puzzle is not something that would occur to me.

But we do; that's a characteristic of delving into old equipment. OK, some of the empuzzlement is conceptual, but a lot is physical. If you doubt the latter, try and get to the fan in a Tek492 SA.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 03:25:17 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127677 on: July 27, 2022, 03:25:07 pm »
I will save my recycled curry from last night when it emerges and send it to him receiver pays  :-DD

I hate curry and can't stand the smell of it. Is there any difference between when it goes in vs when it comes out?  :o

You're thinking Koftas there  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #127678 on: July 27, 2022, 03:47:11 pm »
Finally got some time today to visit my local home center to buy the lumber required to construct the additional shelf for the TE equipment rack. One low quality #2 pine 1 inch X 10 inch X 8 foot was $23 USD. Geez....I only wanted one board, not buy the entire tree.  :o At least the selection was decent and I was able to pick out one that wasn't cupped, warped, or has excessive knots. The last time I picked out lumber was during the pandemic and selection was pathetic. 

First cuts made and glue currently drying on some joinery. Set overnight and continue tomorrow.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #127679 on: July 27, 2022, 03:49:58 pm »
I will save my recycled curry from last night when it emerges and send it to him receiver pays  :-DD

I hate curry and can't stand the smell of it. Is there any difference between when it goes in vs when it comes out?  :o

You're thinking Koftas there  :-DD

Yea, I had koftas once and they fucking suck.  :--

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #127680 on: July 27, 2022, 03:55:54 pm »

If that's the one I'm thinking of, I sent the guy an e-mail a month or two ago after seeing it, and never get any reply.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127681 on: July 27, 2022, 04:10:46 pm »
Maybe we should just get rid of the fucking bean-counters; a Win-Win scenario for Karma and Mother Earth.

See my paper "Shark pools. An eco-friendly aid to effective management and a low cost carbon-capture system rolled into one." in Evil Genius Monthly.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127682 on: July 27, 2022, 04:11:14 pm »
Some quick lunchtime fun:

I didn't have a specific need for a Fluke 8060A but it was available for reasonable money so I got it to complement the IBM branded version of the 8060A I've had for a few years.  I did a couple of quick tests on it and so far it loooks good
<SNIP>

Here are the two takes of the same meter side by side.  I'm not sure why the contrast on the two displays is so different; both meters are original and have not been recapped so I don't know if it's attributable to that, the zebra stripes, different specs from IBM, different ageing or luck of the draw.

There were at least two standards of LCD on the Fluke badged 8060A. The earlier one had a separate front polariser, the later had it stuck to the glass.  The interconnects were different too but they don't normally affect the overall contrast.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 04:13:38 pm by Robert763 »

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127683 on: July 27, 2022, 04:11:36 pm »
One thing I forgot to mention about the Fluke branded 8060A, I did pick up a Fluke i1010 clamp at a pawn shop last night on the way to football practice and used that meter to test the clamp out before buying it.

My portable test kit's out of the truck right now for that battery and inventory project so I used the Fluke since I had it on hand.  Whether or not Fluke equipment appears in more of my field use as time goes on depends on how Keysight decides to deal with individual and small business customers.  Right now, I'm seriously invested in Agilent/Keysight handheld equipment because of the connectivity and remote capability.  I haven't had a bad Keysight experience yet but I'm starting to get concerned that it might be coming based on what I've read here, and if that day does come, I'll be strongly researching alternates for new purchases where possible.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127684 on: July 27, 2022, 04:31:48 pm »
Blooming surplustest on ebay uk

Solartron 7150 plus with pre-blown RIFA (discharge visible aroud mains inlet)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403800084939?

NOT a spectrum analyser that apparently didn't sell at a rally for £10, now £50  :palm:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403800169971?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #127685 on: July 27, 2022, 04:55:16 pm »
Well here is what seems to be a useful gadget, perhaps there might be a solution appearing soon to help convert / recycle some greenhouses gasses into something else that we could use in other ways?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62265992

Proof, if it was needed, that most journalists can be hoodwinked with a completely bogus 'green' science story. It's embarrassing that the BBC published this. A machine representing 100s of megajoules, probably gigajoules of embodied energy, using 100s of joules to 'recycle' a piece of paper representing single figure joules of embodied energy. I wouldn't be surprised if the specially prepared paper didn't itself represent several times the embodied energy of a piece of ordinary printer paper.

Shelve any BBC articles. The shit to hit ratio is terrible these days. I wonder more and more every day if it was ever any good...

I haven't read it but it's probably another investment backed pseudo-science bullshit.

Having not watched TV for a number of years, I can't really pass judgment on modern BBC TV content, but it is a far cry from the standards of old, I am led to believe.

BBC Radio 4 still has a few worthwhile programs, More Or Less and Inside Science are pretty good, probably because they are researched and presented by actual scientists with actual PhD's in actual science and mathematics subjects.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127686 on: July 27, 2022, 05:13:16 pm »
If I did that Jim Williams one before bed I would just wake up at 5AM with jigsaw pieces stuck up my arse  :-DD
Novel  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127687 on: July 27, 2022, 05:21:42 pm »

NOT a spectrum analyser that apparently didn't sell at a rally for £10, now £50  :palm:

That Solartron 7150 is actually 2 meters, seller lists both serial numbers.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127688 on: July 27, 2022, 05:28:25 pm »
Tonight's project is testing all the RAM chips I just salvaged from a damaged Tek TDS784D scope acquisition board.
I got the SOJ-32 adapter yesterday, so now I sits and tests all the chips...

They are a known failure point. I recently fixed a 2GHz TDS794D that I got cheap as it had RAM issues, so I'll test all these chips and keep the good ones for future fun and entertainment.

I may be able to be convinced to relinquish a few if anyone here ends up needing some to fix their TDS scope and keep it running.  :-/O
There used to be a few of those testers on eBay a few years ago and a few variants as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127689 on: July 27, 2022, 05:34:48 pm »

Curry is lovely, it really is.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127690 on: July 27, 2022, 05:38:52 pm »

There suddenly seem to be lots of HP435 power meters about. Maybe they've always been there and I haven't noticed them.

Aren't they useless without the sensors? They never mention them so I assume they aren't there. I believe you can still get them but they are pricey and they are also easily damaged. I've got a 432A which I bought a few years back for a tenner, and I'm sure that was the story with that.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #127691 on: July 27, 2022, 05:52:46 pm »

Any chance to build one on your own?

It's a kit although you have to ask for it on a mail form which I can't be bothered with. Also the firmware is entirely closed source and it may have issues with some device types.

I was slightly tempted to do an open source version of it if I'm honest but it'd be ripped off by China in 30 seconds and I can't be arsed anyway. Would rather be playing with analogue things :-DD

Yeeah... I linked to it in here a few years back. Was promptly dogpiled and shitstormed as the kit was supposedly too fucking expensive, even though there literally isn't anything you can buy nowadays that actually is intended for these old families of chips. Anything that "used to be" is prehistoric enterprise-class shit, which will be full of Murphy's Footsoldiers and questionable old chips in its own right, if not just full of angry pixies and fire pissing all over the place.

:-//

mnem
no mas.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127692 on: July 27, 2022, 05:56:24 pm »
Maybe we should just get rid of the fucking bean-counters; a Win-Win scenario for Karma and Mother Earth.

See my paper "Shark pools. An eco-friendly aid to effective management and a low cost carbon-capture system rolled into one." in Evil Genius Monthly.

I'm sorry... I just can't make myself do that to perfectly innocent sharks.  :o

mnem
The toxic backlash... akkk. :P
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #127693 on: July 27, 2022, 05:57:59 pm »

There suddenly seem to be lots of HP435 power meters about. Maybe they've always been there and I haven't noticed them.

Aren't they useless without the sensors? They never mention them so I assume they aren't there. I believe you can still get them but they are pricey and they are also easily damaged. I've got a 432A which I bought a few years back for a tenner, and I'm sure that was the story with that.

Yup.  The meter is useless without the sensor, and ham handed techs frequently fry the sensors, which are pretty much unrepairable when they get smoked.  The sensors often go for at least 2-3x the price that people offer the meters for, though once in a great while a bargain comes along.

-Pat

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127694 on: July 27, 2022, 06:02:21 pm »

Urrrk. When we were in Toronto, we passed on a gorgeous apartment with great location because it reeked of curry from one end to the other. The carpets were even tainted/stained with the stuff.

I'll have a little tandoori chicken and samosas with cucumber sauce; but I'll go out to get it, not gonna have that in my home.

mnem
Like lawyers. >:D

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127695 on: July 27, 2022, 06:02:41 pm »

They aren't completely useless, I've bought a couple over the years to provide the HP logo, feet and the plastic meter case parts for repairing other HP TE, eg 3400A. I'm sure I've used other bits but can't remember.

The sensors are usually missing because the last user fooked them, they are very easy to ruin.

Trouble is most of the the 435A/Bs listed at the moment, are too expensive to consider as part donors.

David

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #127696 on: July 27, 2022, 06:03:43 pm »

Fine, then you eat it.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127697 on: July 27, 2022, 06:08:17 pm »

435A uses same cable/sensor as 436A, 437B and 438A. Even those are cheap anymore... Last 3 times I shopped them I was able to find one of the 3 models listed as tested using known good sensor guaranteed working for $30-50, sans cable & sensor of course.

mnem
 :-/O

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #127698 on: July 27, 2022, 06:09:32 pm »
If I did that Jim Williams one before bed I would just wake up at 5AM with jigsaw pieces stuck up my arse  :-DD

It's been years since I've done a jigsaw puzzle, but I kept all the pieces on the table and they were nowhere near my arse.  I'm not sure I want to know how you put together puzzles, bd...   :-//

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127699 on: July 27, 2022, 06:12:46 pm »
It's simple: bd knows that if he wasted money on such a damned fool thing, Jim Williams' ghost would come back just to shove it up his arse...  :-DD

mnem
And don't let him get hold of your Metcal... :scared:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf