Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18116038 times)

onsokumaru and 61 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #127650 on: July 27, 2022, 10:15:06 am »
At six I disassembled the family TV beyond repair.

...thereby demonstrating your impeccable good taste  ;)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127651 on: July 27, 2022, 10:29:53 am »
Well here is what seems to be a useful gadget, perhaps there might be a solution appearing soon to help convert / recycle some greenhouses gasses into something else that we could use in other ways?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62265992
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127652 on: July 27, 2022, 10:34:58 am »
What, where are all of these Tek fan boys then, still only a single bid as yet on this very unusual jigsaw of Jim Williams untidy bench, it ends in just under 30 minutes on eBay..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125424439942?.

I was watching it but decided that it might not work as tasteful decor in my new living room  :-DD

Edit: new probe arrived APC next day delivery. This one works fine:

Tested on the wrong scope because the right one is boxed up at the moment ready to move...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 10:50:48 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127653 on: July 27, 2022, 10:50:34 am »
What, where are all of these Tek fan boys then, still only a single bid as yet on this very unusual jigsaw of Jim Williams untidy bench, it ends in just under 30 minutes on eBay..

I was watching it but decided that it might not work as tasteful decor in my new living room  :-DD

It went in the end for just £20.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #127654 on: July 27, 2022, 10:53:34 am »

Somehow, it's fitting that should be your eleventy-leventy-leventh post, ya dirty-minded ol' reprobate...  :-DD

mnem
*dirty-minded ol' reptile*
    :-DD :-DD :-DD
I tried that once; not nearly as uhhhh... memorable... as pissing up a electric fence.    :-DD

mnem
*licks lips and shudders a little sigh*   >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127655 on: July 27, 2022, 10:55:31 am »

An item of Jim Williams' test gear would be interesting and worth slightly more than a similar thing which hadn't belonged to Jim Williams, but not a lot.

Parting with north of £20 for a jigsaw puzzle is not something that would occur to me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #127656 on: July 27, 2022, 11:01:51 am »

I would forever be trying to arrange the pieces to clean up the bench and then out of frustration take it outside and burn it.  :o ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, grizewald, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127657 on: July 27, 2022, 11:17:25 am »

mnem
Electrons make me all tingly... >:D
The Dwagon was cute as a little boy... his parents couldn't resist taking a picture of him discovering the world...
Yeah, most parents would be rushing to snatch the knife away from him at this point, so it begs the question, just what was their motive for not doing the same...... >:D

They were watching to see if I tried the other slot...  :-DD

mnem
"Don't touch the pan baby, it's hot..."
*reaches for pan on the stove anyways*
"Don't touch the pan sweetie, it'll burn you..."
"Don't touch the pan son, it's hot and it will burn you...!"
"Don't... No wait...
Honey, you go right ahead and grab that hot pan; it's full of Reese's and Snickers bars... and your daddy doesn't want you to have them!"
  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127658 on: July 27, 2022, 11:18:40 am »

I would forever be trying to arrange the pieces to clean up the bench and then out of frustration take it outside and burn it.  :o ;D

We haven't yet ruled out the posibility that that the higher bidder knows you, and will shortly have a little present to post to you.  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127659 on: July 27, 2022, 11:29:09 am »
Well here is what seems to be a useful gadget, perhaps there might be a solution appearing soon to help convert / recycle some greenhouses gasses into something else that we could use in other ways?

Proof, if it was needed, that most journalists can be hoodwinked with a completely bogus 'green' science story. It's embarrassing that the BBC published this. A machine representing 100s of megajoules, probably gigajoules of embodied energy, using 100s of joules to 'recycle' a piece of paper representing single figure joules of embodied energy. I wouldn't be surprised if the specially prepared paper didn't itself represent several times the embodied energy of a piece of ordinary printer paper.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127660 on: July 27, 2022, 11:32:43 am »

Hmmm... let's see... simple, low-energy process turns recycled paper and cardboard products into new paper... vs carbon footprint of complex, special chemically-treated paper and a LASER thing to strip the ink off the paper, and then whatever else has to be done to press that paper perfectly flat again and stack it into reams for printer/copier usage.

Oh, and the primary intended market for this entire product cycle is bean-counters who still insist on print on paper for it's relative permanence as an archive of first-hand documents to provide a literal paper trail.   :o

Somehow, I can't help but think this whole thing was not very well thought out...

mnem
Maybe we should just get rid of the fucking bean-counters; a Win-Win scenario for Karma and Mother Earth.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, Zoli

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127661 on: July 27, 2022, 11:38:56 am »
Going to make the trip across the pond today. TEK 8085 Interface and TEK P6460 Acquisition Probe. Purchaser confidential unless they chose to reveal themselves. Hopefully no hassles with customs.

Well, who could that be  :-// Probably not one who just repaired a Tek 1240 LA.

Thanks med!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #127662 on: July 27, 2022, 11:42:53 am »

Well, who could that be  :-// Probably not one who just repaired a Tek 1240 LA.

Thanks med!

You're welcome.  :-+ As soon as I have the tracking number I'll PM you.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127663 on: July 27, 2022, 11:47:20 am »

Proof, if it was needed, that most journalists can be hoodwinked with a completely bogus 'green' science story. It's embarrassing that the BBC published this. A machine representing 100s of megajoules, probably gigajoules of embodied energy, using 100s of joules to 'recycle' a piece of paper representing single figure joules of embodied energy. I wouldn't be surprised if the specially prepared paper didn't itself represent several times the embodied energy of a piece of ordinary printer paper.

Shelve any BBC articles. The shit to hit ratio is terrible these days. I wonder more and more every day if it was ever any good...

I haven't read it but it's probably another investment backed pseudo-science bullshit.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #127664 on: July 27, 2022, 12:17:08 pm »
Package from BD139 in the mailbox today. Just as expected. Thanks!

*adds SEK76 to the invoice A Certain Twit Named Rees-Mogg shall be sent*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127665 on: July 27, 2022, 12:40:26 pm »
I will save my recycled curry from last night when it emerges and send it to him receiver pays  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127666 on: July 27, 2022, 01:58:54 pm »

No no, a jigsaw is just the thing to calm you down, relaxing, soothing away the frustrations, far, far more enjoyable than pissing up a rope. I do a couple of smaller jigsaws online just before going to bed, I find it much easier going to sleep after doing that, much better than my head buzzing with the issues of the latest item on the bench. In the morning feeling refreshed and can look issues in a different light and see solutions easier, you should try it sometime.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127667 on: July 27, 2022, 02:03:58 pm »
If I did that Jim Williams one before bed I would just wake up at 5AM with jigsaw pieces stuck up my arse  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #127668 on: July 27, 2022, 02:07:34 pm »
TERRA Operative.....your package for some reason seems to be stuck in Osaka Customs.  :-//

It should make it here eventually. The main cause of delays I've experienced is due to a lack of phone number on the shipping label, besides that Japan Post is pretty good.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #127669 on: July 27, 2022, 02:22:09 pm »
Tonight's project is testing all the RAM chips I just salvaged from a damaged Tek TDS784D scope acquisition board.
I got the SOJ-32 adapter yesterday, so now I sits and tests all the chips...

They are a known failure point. I recently fixed a 2GHz TDS794D that I got cheap as it had RAM issues, so I'll test all these chips and keep the good ones for future fun and entertainment.

I may be able to be convinced to relinquish a few if anyone here ends up needing some to fix their TDS scope and keep it running.  :-/O

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, dl6lr

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127670 on: July 27, 2022, 02:28:59 pm »
Oooh I so want one of those testers after Curious Marc showed it  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #127671 on: July 27, 2022, 02:32:55 pm »

Any chance to build one on your own?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #127672 on: July 27, 2022, 02:46:57 pm »
I will save my recycled curry from last night when it emerges and send it to him receiver pays  :-DD

I hate curry and can't stand the smell of it. Is there any difference between when it goes in vs when it comes out?  :o

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #127673 on: July 27, 2022, 03:03:56 pm »

Any chance to build one on your own?

They are bought as a PCB with a couple bits included, then you go hit Mouser/Digikey/etc to buy the bulk of the parts and solder it all together.
https://8bit-museum.de/sonstiges/hardware-projekte/hardware-projekte-chip-tester-english/

I love it, I have found it fantastic for testing TTL chips.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, factory

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127674 on: July 27, 2022, 03:15:48 pm »
Some quick lunchtime fun:

I didn't have a specific need for a Fluke 8060A but it was available for reasonable money so I got it to complement the IBM branded version of the 8060A I've had for a few years.  I did a couple of quick tests on it and so far it looks good:

AC and DC volts looks reasonable so far.  I haven't had a chance to test the other functions yet and that's probably going to have to wait until the weekend.

Here are the two takes of the same meter side by side.  I'm not sure why the contrast on the two displays is so different; both meters are original and have not been recapped so I don't know if it's attributable to that, the zebra stripes, different specs from IBM, different ageing or luck of the draw.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 03:21:00 pm by 25 CPS »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, med6753, Specmaster, bd139, mansaxel, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, Zoli, duckduck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf