Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18116610 times)

MVSantos, onsokumaru and 68 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #127600 on: July 26, 2022, 08:22:56 pm »
The heathkit HT supply is a notable bit of kit too. Good second hand market value  :-DD

Yeah, HT supplies are hard to come by. For some reason. I'm looking for a 6209, of course.

The 6209 is all well and good, and I'm happy to have one, but the voltage adjust control is frighteningly close to the output terminals!

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127601 on: July 26, 2022, 08:24:21 pm »
Celebrated my EEVblog 5 year anniversary with a curry, beer and some single ladies tonight at Namaste in Holborn  :-+.

One of them has an electrical engineering degree. But she’s 15 years older than me  :scared:

Anyway enough slacking off. Getting home soon and will do a Vince and sort out my capacitors  :-DD
Sorting out your capacitors is a hell of a lot safer and cheaper long term, but not quite as much as fun as the ladies  ;)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127602 on: July 26, 2022, 08:26:12 pm »
Yeah, HT supplies are hard to come by. For some reason. I'm looking for a 6209, of course.

I've seen very few.

Something I never understood is why audio distortion meters are quite common, but low distortion oscillators of a standard to use with them, are quite rare.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127603 on: July 26, 2022, 08:28:09 pm »
[...]
Getting home soon and will do a Vince and sort out my capacitors  :-DD

Sorting components, I found out, is a surpringly relaxing and therapeutic activity, I am sure you will enjoy it.
It's the kind of thing that could be beneficial to you, given how stressed you must be all day long trying to fix huge hopeless piles of junk software combining all together to produce the most hellish of results.

You could do some boxing after work as well, but sorting components is cheaper, can be done at home, and does not make you sweat, so no need to then spend even more money, on electricity and washing powder that is, to then wash those sweaty clothes.

No, go sort your capacitors, you will feel better once your are done.  8)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127604 on: July 26, 2022, 08:30:29 pm »
The heathkit HT supply is a notable bit of kit too. Good second hand market value  :-DD

The 6209B is all well and good, and I'm happy to have one, but the voltage adjust control is frighteningly close to the output terminals!

Yes that is correct for the 6209B, it's the current control that is next to the output terminal on the 6209A, but in that case the manual is unobtainium.

David

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #127605 on: July 26, 2022, 08:31:57 pm »

Mine gets a good bit of use testing/reforming higher voltage electrolytic caps.  Set the voltage limit for the cap's rated voltage, the current limit for 5-10 mA, then connect it to the cap in question with bench volt and ammeters in the circuit to monitor the voltage across and current through the cap and let it rip, with only an occasional glance to ensure things are on the right track.

And it seems with the steady decrease in operating voltages for microprocessors that a lot of people will soon be thinking anything over fifteen volts is high voltage!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127606 on: July 26, 2022, 08:34:19 pm »
All of this here talk about heating oil reminded me of one of my first weekend jobs I had while I was at senior school. I used to go around on an old Bedford "O" type fuel tanker like the one in the photo, but it was branded "Pink Paraffin" and had a manual delivery pump at the rear. I used to go round towns on the housing estates dispensing fuel in gallons into peoples own jerry cans. I remember knocking one persons door and a young lady in the nude answered it and gave me her can to fill up. I told the driver of the tanker about her state of undress and he said "I'll take the can back and collect the money" "Bastard" I said under my breath, and laughed when he returned moments later, fuming because while filling her 5 gallon can, she had put some clothes on.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #127607 on: July 26, 2022, 08:36:20 pm »

One of them has an electrical engineering degree. But she’s 15 years older than me  :scared:

What's wrong with an older woman? She can teach you a thing or two.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127608 on: July 26, 2022, 08:37:54 pm »
[...]
Getting home soon and will do a Vince and sort out my capacitors  :-DD

Sorting components, I found out, is a surpringly relaxing and therapeutic activity, I am sure you will enjoy it.
It's the kind of thing that could be beneficial to you, given how stressed you must be all day long trying to fix huge hopeless piles of junk software combining all together to produce the most hellish of results.

You could do some boxing after work as well, but sorting components is cheaper, can be done at home, and does not make you sweat, so no need to then spend even more money, on electricity and washing powder that is, to then wash those sweaty clothes.

No, go sort your capacitors, you will feel better once your are done.  8)

Very good advice :)

Boxing definitely not my thing. Have taken up running again after work however. Trying to get alternate 5k walk and run days. And yes. Sweat. Ugh.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127609 on: July 26, 2022, 08:39:32 pm »

Once she’s put her teeth back in  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127610 on: July 26, 2022, 08:40:41 pm »

And it seems with the steady decrease in operating voltages for microprocessors that a lot of people will soon be thinking anything over fifteen volts is high voltage!

-Pat

ISTR an old video where Dave said he is scared with anything above 12Volts... since the day as a kid he got zapped while fiddling inside his parents television...

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #127611 on: July 26, 2022, 08:43:21 pm »

I've seen very few.

Something I never understood is why audio distortion meters are quite common, but low distortion oscillators of a standard to use with them, are quite rare.

I actually have two low-distortion oscillators; a hp 200CDR and Tektronix SG505, with accompanying AA501 Distortion analyser, of course.  But no HT supply  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #127612 on: July 26, 2022, 08:44:26 pm »

Once she’s put her teeth back in  :-DD

But prior to that you have a big arse smile on your face.   :-DD :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127613 on: July 26, 2022, 08:44:38 pm »
So, last August, I had the house repainted, which involved taking down the outside air temperature sensor. The plastic 'screen' thingy promptly fell apart  :(

Time for a new one. I found a thingy on eBay, 3D-printed an adapter bracket to fit it in place of the old one, and swapped out the old sensor for a new PRT probe. The junk box provided me with a 4-20mA loop current transmitter, and I finagled the resistors to give me a sensing range that covered the extremes of the temperature range experienced in England.

What with one thing and another, I didn't get round to fitting it until just recently - when the national high temperature record was smashed by, I think 1.6˚C. So I just spent a slack day recalculating the resistors again, this time covering about -20˚C to 43.6˚C, which should be OK (I sincerely hope).

Incidentally, since I'm using micropower parts instead of the originals in the transmitter, the loop current works linearly down to about 0.75mA, which helps extend the range. Though the PRT linearisation is only good to about 0.1˚C.

The last step: calibrating it all against my Isotech reference thermometer. I used an ice point and a Grant water bath at 35˚C (as low as it will stabilise at - the lab is currently around 26˚C) to get two fixed points. Checks with the resistance box shows that is plenty good enough. I anticipate an overall error of around 0.2 or 0.3˚C, taking everything into consideration, and assuming the Isotech is as good as it was when it was made (in 2004). Given Isotech's reputation, I don't think that is much of a risk. It reads 0.00˚C in an icepoint made with deionised water, and around -0.01˚C if using tap water.

And I will fit it tomorrow evening! Promise!

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Robert763, bd139, ch_scr, grizewald, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #127614 on: July 26, 2022, 08:47:33 pm »
Celebrated my EEVblog 5 year anniversary with a curry, beer and some single ladies tonight at Namaste in Holborn  :-+.

Anyway enough slacking off. Getting home soon and will do a Vince and sort out my capacitors  :-DD

*sifts through the archives*

Looks like I celebrated mine by building a new gaming rig for my son. Then when the conversation turned to keyboards, I posted this:

I am shocked, I say...  shocked... that it took me 5 years to post that WANTED reference in here... >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #127615 on: July 26, 2022, 08:47:38 pm »

I actually have two low-distortion oscillators

Make that three -- I just remembered my hp telco test set, that while not very low indeed has bearable distortion.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127616 on: July 26, 2022, 08:49:14 pm »
All of this here talk about heating oil reminded me of one of my first weekend jobs I had while I was at senior school. I used to go around on an old Bedford "O" type fuel tanker like the one in the photo, but it was branded "Pink Paraffin" and had a manual delivery pump at the rear. I used to go round towns on the housing estates dispensing fuel in gallons into peoples own jerry cans. I remember knocking one persons door and a young lady in the nude answered it and gave me her can to fill up. I told the driver of the tanker about her state of undress and he said "I'll take the can back and collect the money" "Bastard" I said under my breath, and laughed when he returned moments later, fuming because while filling her 5 gallon can, she had put some clothes on.  :-DD

Was it early? If it was, she probably thought you were the milkman!  ;)

Did you and the Esso Blue boys have gang wars over territory? Roman candles at 50 paces, see who could blow up whom's tanker?  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 08:51:51 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #127617 on: July 26, 2022, 08:56:17 pm »

Somehow, it's fitting that should be your eleventy-leventy-leventh post, ya dirty-minded ol' reprobate...  :-DD

mnem
*dirty-minded ol' reptile*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, grizewald, Zoli

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #127618 on: July 26, 2022, 09:00:36 pm »
About that 5 years, aren't you forgetting about your 6mth disappearing act yet you sorta let us know you were still sucking air via Discord.

So does Mr Bean.

Good result from Telonic here. They shipped a duff PP215 probe with my SDS1202X-E. tggzzz will no doubt identify which bit went wrong instantly. New probe in the post to me today free of charge.
Just died recently or like that from the start ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127619 on: July 26, 2022, 09:05:18 pm »

I actually have two low-distortion oscillators

Make that three -- I just remembered my hp telco test set, that while not very low indeed has bearable distortion.
Yeah. I have an AWA G232, which really is low distortion and a Philips PM5110 which is tolerably low distortion.

But that's not the point, you see a lot more distortion analysers/meters than oscillators fit to use with them, and it seems odd.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127620 on: July 26, 2022, 09:15:08 pm »

The model numbering is a bit confusing, the 5326A/B/C are 50MHz only, 5327A/B/C have the 550MHz prescaler added, B models have the DVM added, C models have time interval mode removed.
The early ones predate the 10544A oven, hence why the later ones, with exactly the same model number & letter have the redesigned motherboard.

There are three custom ICs for adding the 8th digit option, these are difficult to obtain NOS, they can be found from sellers that only flog the readout boards, but I don't like buying from these sellers knowing they probably destroyed working machines.

These are the two I own, the early 5326B below, crystal board is on the right, next to the side frame..

David

This is mine.

I think there's provision for an OCXO. There look to be solder points, but I imagine there should be a socket.

I had vague thoughts that the extra N***e would just be a matter of finding the right N***e and a 74141. No, three custom chips. I can't really see that happening without coming across a total wreck with the right parts. I wonder if it would be possible to make up a daughter board that would do it.

The fan looks a more approachable problem than I'd thought at first glance. There must be a modern fan that fits, or can be adapted, and has the right airflow and pressure. I'd be more tempted to use it if it didn't kick up that din.

According to the manual, the OXCO option uses the same socket as the regular oscillator & TXCO option, all the extra PSU parts are already fitted right next to the socket, just need two #6x32 3/8 inch screws & fiber washers, might be a link that needs removing too (shown on the diagram).

The counter, buffer/storage & display decoder ICs use negative logic, this is opposite to more common 7490, 7475 & 74141 parts, also pinouts are different, the HP custom ICs can also blank unused readout choobs and the custom buffer/storage IC has extra outputs for the recorder/printer output, this probably won't matter if you haven't got a recorder (I have a 5055A in the repair queue).

All the information is in the free pdf 5326B manual (254MB) that is on the web somewhere, it might be possible to use regular ICs to achieve the same function, but more ICs would be needed, surface mount parts would help fit it in the available space.
Alternately keep an eye out for sellers flogging HP N***e choobs & ask if they will sell the board that they stole them from and hope they still work, parts are 1820-0092, 1820-0116 & 1820-0119.

Have you tried repairing the fan? It could have worn spacers and/or need oiling.

David

The following users thanked this post: Zenith

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127621 on: July 26, 2022, 09:16:48 pm »
About that 5 years, aren't you forgetting about your 6mth disappearing act yet you sorta let us know you were still sucking air via Discord.

So does Mr Bean.

Good result from Telonic here. They shipped a duff PP215 probe with my SDS1202X-E. tggzzz will no doubt identify which bit went wrong instantly. New probe in the post to me today free of charge.
Just died recently or like that from the start ?

Hey I’ve earned tenure now  :-DD

As for the duff probe, dodgy from the start. The guy at Telonic said they’d had quite a few duff ones recently. Worth keeping an eye out. Issue is with the 1X/10X switch.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127622 on: July 26, 2022, 09:17:44 pm »

The 6209 is all well and good, and I'm happy to have one, but the voltage adjust control is frighteningly close to the output terminals!

You just have to get into the habit of always adjusting the voltage with your left hand.

Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127623 on: July 26, 2022, 09:32:20 pm »

-Pat

ISTR an old video where Dave said he is scared with anything above 12Volts... since the day as a kid he got zapped while fiddling inside his parents television...

Getting a mains voltage shock off an old electric bar fire was what got me interested in electronics! I was about seven at the time...
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: Vince, tautech, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #127624 on: July 26, 2022, 09:39:49 pm »
As for the duff probe, dodgy from the start. The guy at Telonic said they’d had quite a few duff ones recently. Worth keeping an eye out. Issue is with the 1X/10X switch.
Very few here in recent times.
They had issues a while back then changed to 00 marked ones then we had more issues for a while but lately problems are now rare.
We got into the routine of checking and compensating every probe when we do our PD checks so caught every dud before it went out the door.  :phew:
I cycle the attenuation switch ~5 times and if it's dodgy out it goes ! Warranty claim here we come !  :P
This is where Siglent are excellent, never in nearly 10 yrs have we argued about a claim, they always front up !  :clap:

Anyways, doing a PD check allows us to pop on some company badging, check FW is the latest, check probes and leave the instrument in the best settings for best first impressions.......something Siglent haven't yet listened to us about !  :horse:

rant
WhyTF would you want a scope to factory boot or Default to 1us/div is beyond me....the first thing with a new instrument you always wanna do is compensate probes so a default s/div setting nearer 1ms/div should make more sense, right ? Seems not.  :-// What TF would we know ?  :horse:
Another far more annoying is having menus set to 3s autohide as default.  :wtf: So you pull this new to you instrument outta the box, plug the sucker in and boot it then admire the new and strange to you GUI only to have the menu squirt off to places unknown while you're trying to get to grips with your new possession !
They make some wonderful instruments yet some shit they do is as dumb as fuck !

tautech default setting = menu autohide = OFF !
/rant

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, duckduck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf