Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18116589 times)

MVSantos, onsokumaru and 63 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #127550 on: July 26, 2022, 11:13:51 am »

Where I grew up on the south coast almost all the older houses had basements (say pre-WWII), often with a street level hatch to deliver coal through. None of the houses I've lived in in London have had basements. Never really thought about the discrepancy until now and I can't offhand see geography being the motivating factor - Brighton is on, very wet, chalk and London is on a similarly wet [clay] river basin so they are both rather damp places for basements.

Pre-WW2 residences here also had a coal chute to the storage in basement for the furnace. After WW2 most converted to gas (no storage) or to fuel oil which usually was a 275 gallon storage tank in the basement. That continues to today.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127551 on: July 26, 2022, 11:32:09 am »
I doubt there is any personal lab which beats Shahriar's. At a conservative guess, I'd say there's several million dollars worth of test equipment in there!

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 11:34:53 am by grizewald »
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127552 on: July 26, 2022, 12:08:44 pm »
Ooh 5 years for me on EEVblog today  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Vince, Zucca, Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, grizewald, cyclin_al, Zoli, duckduck

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #127553 on: July 26, 2022, 12:17:41 pm »
Ooh 5 years for me on EEVblog today  :scared:

Five years of sheer torture enjoyment.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #127554 on: July 26, 2022, 12:20:36 pm »
He's out in Lincolnshire.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/FvDQykChz0ahbK_Gy8_3dO-oR98/appointments

Makes a fair bit of cash. Check his company accounts filings  :-DD

That's a fair bit out in the countryside, indeed! Thanks.

Also not as reachable ATM:

"Damage to the overhead electric wires between Peterborough / Cambridge and London means all lines are currently blocked."

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127555 on: July 26, 2022, 12:22:01 pm »
Sounds like Sweden!

:-DD
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #127556 on: July 26, 2022, 12:33:12 pm »
He's out in Lincolnshire.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/FvDQykChz0ahbK_Gy8_3dO-oR98/appointments

Makes a fair bit of cash. Check his company accounts filings  :-DD

Stamford isn't really Lincolnshire; it is nice.

Geologically, culturally, and by appearance it is the other end of theCotswolds;  think Bath writ small.

Plus it has a well-known auction house outbuilding  nearby.

Contrast that with another auction shed on the Lincolnshire coast.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127557 on: July 26, 2022, 12:51:01 pm »

Where I grew up on the south coast almost all the older houses had basements (say pre-WWII), often with a street level hatch to deliver coal through. None of the houses I've lived in in London have had basements. Never really thought about the discrepancy until now and I can't offhand see geography being the motivating factor - Brighton is on, very wet, chalk and London is on a similarly wet [clay] river basin so they are both rather damp places for basements.

Colin Furze does offer some insights in building things underground in what I naîvely assume is somewhere in greater London area. His house didn't have a basement either..

https://youtu.be/A_ESR5zoGYQ
Nope, going by what he says in his video, he lives somewhere around the Stamford region as he mentions Rutland water is around 12 miles from his house.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127558 on: July 26, 2022, 01:52:06 pm »
Even within Canada, I suspect that 25_CPS pays double for electricity what Kosmic and I pay ...
I went through 325 kWh in the last billing period which worked out to $31.85.  Add $35.50 for delivery.  Add $1.56 regulatory.  Subtotal of $68.91.  Add $8.96 sales tax which brings it to $77.87.  Subtract $11.71 "Ontario Electricity Rebate" and that works out to $66.16.  Multiply by 100 to convert to cents, then divide by that 325 kWh and I get an all in price of 20.36 cents per kWh in the most recent billing period.  That's pretty consistent with what I've gotten the last few times I've sat down and worked through the numbers.

Just for sake of interest, I worked through the math on the latest utility bill and got a figure of 16.55 cents per kWh.  It's kind of interesting because it shows the effect of more or less fixed costs built in the regulatory and delivery items which cause them not to move around as much when there are large changes in total kWh consumption.  The total consumption is up quite a bit on air conditioning use which caused the average price per kWh to drop by spreading it out over more kilowatt hours used in the most recent billing cycle compared to the previous one.

Luckily, "What does it cost to run the equipment in the workshop?" doesn't sway bills all that much.  Usually it's scopes and meters that get used and they don't consume much power.  The giant energy consuming machines like the dynamic signal analyzer and spectrum analyzer that are both in the 350-400W neighbourhood don't see nearly as much use so they don't spike it too badly.  I see bigger fluctuations due to whether I do more or less cooking inside which changes how much time the electric stove spends switched on and anything that causes the laundry to be done more frequently than usual show up twice as electricity and water/sewage.

At least enjoying some quality time, if I can get the time which is a whole other story, in the workshop and using the lab equipment doesn't cost a fortune, one of the rare things that doesn't these days.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127559 on: July 26, 2022, 02:15:10 pm »

This house was built in the 1850's and has a basement, with a dirt floor. There's even a small spring in one corner that comes to the surface and drains out through the foundation. But it does not smell musty or mildewed because there is good airflow.   
I suspect that's some critters living below trying 'to piss up a rope'!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #127560 on: July 26, 2022, 02:23:53 pm »

This house was built in the 1850's and has a basement, with a dirt floor. There's even a small spring in one corner that comes to the surface and drains out through the foundation. But it does not smell musty or mildewed because there is good airflow.   

Perhaps med could provide us a picture from this small spring? I'm finding this interesting.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127561 on: July 26, 2022, 02:25:17 pm »
Pre-WW2 residences here also had a coal chute to the storage in basement for the furnace. After WW2 most converted to gas (no storage) or to fuel oil which usually was a 275 gallon storage tank in the basement. That continues to today.

Domestic fuel oil heating is also a thing of the past here now, although I daresay there are a few working installations left. In my youth it wasn't too unusual to see a fuel oil tank down the side of someone's house. They rather stood out as local regulations required them to be both outside the house, a minimum distance from any dwelling, and surrounded by a brick or concrete berm with a sealed concrete foundation to keep the oil contained in the event of a tank rupture or fire. Made for quite a bulky, obvious installation.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127562 on: July 26, 2022, 02:33:44 pm »

Luckily, "What does it cost to run the equipment in the workshop?" doesn't sway bills all that much.  Usually it's scopes and meters that get used and they don't consume much power.  The giant energy consuming machines like the dynamic signal analyzer and spectrum analyzer that are both in the 350-400W neighbourhood don't see nearly as much use so they don't spike it too badly.  I see bigger fluctuations due to whether I do more or less cooking inside which changes how much time the electric stove spends switched on and anything that causes the laundry to be done more frequently than usual show up twice as electricity and water/sewage.

Yes yes, that is all fine, but what about the MW levitating frog display in the foyer? It helps immensely with the 'mad scientist' image!

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127563 on: July 26, 2022, 02:41:23 pm »
Nope, going by what he says in his video, he lives somewhere around the Stamford region
No secret as to the address,its all over the companys house link above.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127564 on: July 26, 2022, 02:53:43 pm »
Speaking of coding and programming...

Anyone in need of a handful of NOS Motorola MC68705? Just found ten of them while I was looking for something else. Still no trace of something else, though.

So, been a few days, did anyone manifest interest beside me ?!  >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #127565 on: July 26, 2022, 03:08:21 pm »

Perhaps med could provide us a picture from this small spring? I'm finding this interesting.

I'll see if I can get into the basement and take a picture of it. It's not the first time I've seen a house built directly over a spring.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127566 on: July 26, 2022, 03:08:35 pm »
Nope, going by what he says in his video, he lives somewhere around the Stamford region
No secret as to the address,its all over the companys house link above.
Yes, I saw those posts after I posted mine  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127567 on: July 26, 2022, 03:12:41 pm »

I'll see if I can get into the basement and take a picture of it. It's not the first time I've seen a house built directly over a spring.
I'd have thought that it would contravene building regs as running water has the potential to flood the building or erode its footings and or make the fabric of the building damp making the ideal breeding ground for fungus etc and help cause breathing difficulties for the occupants.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #127568 on: July 26, 2022, 03:12:43 pm »

Domestic fuel oil heating is also a thing of the past here now, although I daresay there are a few working installations left. In my youth it wasn't too unusual to see a fuel oil tank down the side of someone's house. They rather stood out as local regulations required them to be both outside the house, a minimum distance from any dwelling, and surrounded by a brick or concrete berm with a sealed concrete foundation to keep the oil contained in the event of a tank rupture or fire. Made for quite a bulky, obvious installation.

In the northern climes that oil tank is inside the structure. For good reason. In the Winter fuel oil jells in the cold and won't flow. The alternative, and is used in mobile homes with no basements, is to use more expensive kerosene which is not affected by the cold. 

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #127570 on: July 26, 2022, 03:15:49 pm »

I'd have thought that it would contravene building regs as running water has the potential to flood the building or erode its footings and or make the fabric of the building damp making the ideal breeding ground for fungus etc and help cause breathing difficulties for the occupants.

Nope. In both cases there are no ill effects. I suppose the key is good airflow and venting.

Edit.....in both cases the houses were old and pre-dated modern building regulations. Wouldn't surprise me if modern regs prohibit it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 03:19:25 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127571 on: July 26, 2022, 03:26:53 pm »

Anyone in need of a handful of NOS Motorola MC68705? Just found ten of them while I was looking for something else. Still no trace of something else, though.

I've not seen this post! I would be interested too..

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #127572 on: July 26, 2022, 03:29:40 pm »
A quick glance into Shahriar's lab:

https://youtu.be/s2KkgI-kyK0?t=308

:o :o :o :o :o

Dave: " If I had infinite money, and I could build anything I want... I'd have tunnels, and fireman's poles, and moats. I'd have like turret towers and moats... and a dungeon in the basement."    :-DD

Yeah, every guy's man-cave fantasy... a tunnel from the bedroom to the man-kitchen, another to the man-cave, and another to the eevil scientist lair... and a moat around all of it. Filled with piranhas and lawyers. Nasty little bitey ones.  >:D

mnem
"Yes, you may touch it."
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 03:33:22 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #127573 on: July 26, 2022, 03:38:58 pm »
A quick glance into Shahriar's lab:

https://youtu.be/s2KkgI-kyK0?t=308

:o :o :o :o :o

Dave: " If I had infinite money, and I could build anything I want... I'd have tunnels, and fireman's poles, and moats. I'd have like turret towers and moats... and a dungeon in the basement."    :-DD

Yeah, every guy's man-cave fantasy... a tunnel from the bedroom to the man-kitchen, another to the man-cave, and another to the eevil scientist lair... and a moat around all of it. Filled with piranhas and lawyers. Nasty little bitey ones.  >:D

mnem
"Yes, you may touch it."
You mean similar to this?

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127574 on: July 26, 2022, 03:42:46 pm »

I've not seen this post! I would be interested too..

I knew I should have PM'ed him rather posting here publicly, stupid me, now I will get only half of them !  :-DD

Lesson learnt !   >:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf