Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17744089 times)

Vince, wkb and 124 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #127100 on: July 21, 2022, 04:09:11 pm »
   Next TE project. Take advantage of that "dead space" and add another shelf.

Will be perfect for 2400 and 400 series scopes. BOM already written up and will get started on it next week. Stay tuned.
Oh good lord, Papa Smurf is reaching for his power tools... somebody get him a  :-BROKE  stat!!!

mnem
or a glowy counter... or pulse generator... somethin'...

Huh? What incident in the past has made others fear for their safety and run for the hills?  :-//

I still have 4 fingers/hand and 8 toes.  :P :-DD

[Fx: Leans back in rocking chair on porch. Pushes straw to the corner of his mouth] "Yup, but that's no great shakes if'n ya used to have the normal six on each ap-pen-dage!"
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #127101 on: July 21, 2022, 04:16:08 pm »
Anyone know how to see what file system is formatted on a floppy disk in MS DOS?

I may have a bad/marginal disk, or it may be formatted in something other than a standard 1.44Mb FAT file system..
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127102 on: July 21, 2022, 04:24:54 pm »
I'm hearing reports of yet another devastating fire in the Dagenham area of East London, where a field fire has spread and caused the evacuation of 5 streets and some houses have been lost in this fire as well, Cerebus might well know more, its his neck of the woods is that.

Dagenham my neck of the woods? Nope, that's in a sketchy blank on the other side of line on the map that says "Beware. Here be strange and frightful things."

I'm half expecting Wanstead Flats to catch fire again, as it did in 2018. Since then the local council have put two cycle lanes on the road that runs through the middle of the flats, the sort that has posts every few metres that leave you with nowhere to pull over to let emergency vehicles past. That may prove to have been a very poor decision.

Wanstead Flats in 2018:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127103 on: July 21, 2022, 04:31:21 pm »
Oh those bloody posts do my head in. They installed them on the road with the local hospital which means ambulances take 10x as long to traverse it. On top of that it’s so narrow you can’t get two busses past each other now. Total fail.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127104 on: July 21, 2022, 05:27:22 pm »
I'm hearing reports of yet another devastating fire in the Dagenham area of East London, where a field fire has spread and caused the evacuation of 5 streets and some houses have been lost in this fire as well, Cerebus might well know more, its his neck of the woods is that.

Dagenham my neck of the woods? Nope, that's in a sketchy blank on the other side of line on the map that says "Beware. Here be strange and frightful things."

I'm half expecting Wanstead Flats to catch fire again, as it did in 2018. Since then the local council have put two cycle lanes on the road that runs through the middle of the flats, the sort that has posts every few metres that leave you with nowhere to pull over to let emergency vehicles past. That may prove to have been a very poor decision.

Wanstead Flats in 2018:

Oh good grief, I forgot you London boys think 8 miles away is on the other side of the globe  :-DD Its more your neck of the woods than it is mine, I'm about 25 miles away  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127105 on: July 21, 2022, 05:29:22 pm »
Oh those bloody posts do my head in. They installed them on the road with the local hospital which means ambulances take 10x as long to traverse it. On top of that it’s so narrow you can’t get two busses past each other now. Total fail.
What posts are these then, would they be posts to mark out the bleeding cyclists lane from vehicles?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127106 on: July 21, 2022, 05:32:34 pm »
What posts are these then, would they be posts to mark out the bleeding cyclists lane from vehicles?

Yep: https://goo.gl/maps/cg187YUyaSTvgEnc6

Online Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #127107 on: July 21, 2022, 05:39:26 pm »
Anyone know how to see what file system is formatted on a floppy disk in MS DOS?

I may have a bad/marginal disk, or it may be formatted in something other than a standard 1.44Mb FAT file system..
FAT-12; but better check the the (TE)manufacturer forum/(news)group/discussions.
BTW, did you get your FD-505?  :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #127108 on: July 21, 2022, 05:45:19 pm »

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.99i4negtasz-DSR1-0yf0AHaGQ%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Oh good grief, I forgot you London boys think 8 miles away is on the other side of the globe  :-DD Its more your neck of the woods than it is mine, I'm about 25 miles away  :popcorn:

You don't seem to understand how folks who live in any city center think about travel... they think in terms of "What are my chances of traversing point a to point b to point Э and home again without having to kill or be killed."

In some areas, that distance may be as small as "100 meters? may as well be 100 kliks."

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 05:49:14 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #127109 on: July 21, 2022, 05:48:14 pm »
some final fotos of my keysight scopes ...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 05:49:45 pm by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, bd139, grizewald, cyclin_al, m k

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127110 on: July 21, 2022, 05:50:05 pm »

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.99i4negtasz-DSR1-0yf0AHaGQ%26pid%3DApi&f=1

You don't seem to understand how folks who live in any city center think... they think in terms of "What are my chances of traversing point a to point b to point Э and home again without having to kill or be killed." In some areas, that distance may be as small as "100 meters? may as well be 100 kliks."

mnem

I think it's more "how buggered is the public transport going to be?"

I actually looked at the entrance of Bond Street tube station the other week and said fuck it and walked all the way home  :-DD (9.8 miles  :-// )

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #127111 on: July 21, 2022, 05:50:56 pm »

You don't seem to understand how folks who live in any city center think... they think in terms of "What are my chances of traversing point a to point b to point Э and home again without having to kill or be killed." In some areas, that distance may be as small as "100 meters? may as well be 100 kliks."

mnem
Expect to be there when War reference censored.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #127112 on: July 21, 2022, 05:54:48 pm »

I'd try the command 'file' from linux (as in file /dev/whatever_the_floppy), or just try to mount it with linux, it recognizes a lot of file systems automatically.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #127113 on: July 21, 2022, 05:56:53 pm »
The keysight purge continues.

Throwing Keysight N6700 Mainframe w/ 100V, 35V and 8V modules (plus new rackmount kit) into the ring.

Blind filler panel installed for the non populated slot, spare filler panel available.

Asking 2.5k Brussels Pesos (€) for mainframe and modules. Will accept Rolex Oyster Perpetual or potentially WPC pinball for trade.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #127114 on: July 21, 2022, 06:43:41 pm »
Cheap (65$) Tek p6046 differential probe on ebay. Working order and with all accessories. I would go for it, but already have one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185500027746

Dammit!  I bid on a whim, and apparently no one else did.  LOL

Thanks for the tip, Kosmic.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127115 on: July 21, 2022, 06:47:23 pm »

We have the same bleeding shit here, and like you the Hospital with the A&E dept is on the same road FFS. Ambulances struggle to get through the traffic and to add insult to injury, there are bus stops along the route  and most of those were in layby's, now they are in the road and block the road completely.

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Neper

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127116 on: July 21, 2022, 06:51:33 pm »

We have the same bleeding shit here, and like you the Hospital with the A&E dept is on the same road FFS. Ambulances struggle to get through the traffic and to add insult to injury, there are bus stops along the route  and most of those were in layby's, now they are in the road and block the road completely.

I'm surprised they did it on Broomfield Road. That was a complete shit show 25 years ago - probably even worse now  :palm: :palm:.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #127117 on: July 21, 2022, 06:52:43 pm »

It's nice to know that those who design these things carefully think them through and consider the possible worst-case scenarios, isn't it?

::) ::) ::) ::)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #127118 on: July 21, 2022, 07:01:05 pm »

It's nice to know that those who design these things carefully think them through and consider the possible worst-case scenarios, isn't it?

-Pat

Those stupid barriers wouldn't last 1 day in NYC, especially if they are plastic. The bike lanes there are still "open" to traffic and bus stops will block a bike lane. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127119 on: July 21, 2022, 07:09:05 pm »

-Pat

Those stupid barriers wouldn't last 1 day in NYC, especially if they are plastic. The bike lanes there are still "open" to traffic and bus stops will block a bike lane. 
Thats exactly as it used to be here as well, the stated aim is to reduce the CO2 and encourage walking or public transport. So you can be CO2 free in an EV and still have the same issues. To rub it in even more, cyclists use the lanes the wrong way, i.e., they will ride against the traffic as seen in my video, also ride on the footpath.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #127120 on: July 21, 2022, 07:13:05 pm »

Thats exactly as it used to be here as well, the stated aim is to reduce the CO2 and encourage walking or public transport. So you can be CO2 free in an EV and still have the same issues. To rub it in even more, cyclists use the lanes the wrong way, i.e., they will ride against the traffic as seen in my video, also ride on the footpath.

Well in thinking further about it you couldn't install them in NYC anyway. How would you adequately plow the streets after a snowstorm? Those barriers would be a sitting duck and wind up in a snow pile.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127121 on: July 21, 2022, 07:16:53 pm »

It's not distance, it's just the fine diving line between civilisation and, well, Essex.  >:D

For the Norteamericanos, Essex == Jersey.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127122 on: July 21, 2022, 07:27:54 pm »

It's not distance, it's just the fine diving line between civilisation and, well, Essex.  >:D

For the Norteamericanos, Essex == Jersey.  :-DD
Nope, wrong on that one, Dagenham, used to be Essex but under the reclassification, it is now part of London, so is just as civilised as it is at yours, but I'm reliably informed by family members in the area that they don't have the ceremonial cutlery that you are renowned for getting out and polishing up from time to time  :-DD   
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 07:35:12 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127123 on: July 21, 2022, 07:32:08 pm »
The other thing that pisses me off is in the space of just a third of a mile, I have to go through no less than 7 sets of traffic lights to get home after dropping SWMBO off at work.  :rant: Just 4 on the way to work.  :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127124 on: July 21, 2022, 07:33:20 pm »

Yup. It was fine when it was just a painted cycle lane, there was masses of room for everybody, and you could get out of people's way in an emergency. Now it feels claustrophobic, there's nowhere to go in an emergency and ironically the cyclists are possibly at greater risk as the posts encourage drivers to think they have "done their bit" to keep away from cyclists and the effective narrowing of the road makes it impossible to pull out to give the cyclists a bit more room as you pass them. Oh, and there isn't room for faster cyclists to overtake slower cyclists now, I watched just that holding up a cyclist the other week. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there isn't a rise in the number of cyclists injured since the posts versus before.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf