Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16916537 times)

Carl_Smith and 80 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #126975 on: July 20, 2022, 06:06:35 am »
Just for shiggles and gits, I plugged it into ...

Imagine a traditional shop in Victorian style, perhaps in a side street in Spitalfields, London. Over the front is a classic hand painted sign, painted with gold leaf on the reverse of glass:

Shiggles & Gits Limited
Purveyors of Scientific and Electrikal Instruments and Machines
Suppliers to Learned Institutions, Universities, and Private Enquirers into the Nature of the World

That jogged my memory for this company registration.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/01485968

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #126976 on: July 20, 2022, 06:15:41 am »
Just for shiggles and gits, I plugged it into ...

Imagine a traditional shop in Victorian style, perhaps in a side street in Spitalfields, London. Over the front is a classic hand painted sign, painted with gold leaf on the reverse of glass:

Shiggles & Gits Limited
Purveyors of Scientific and Electrikal Instruments and Machines
Suppliers to Learned Institutions, Universities, and Private Enquirers into the Nature of the World

That jogged my memory for this company registration.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/01485968

There's an adult store in our area called "Giggles".  ;D

Website....NSFW

https://giggles.com/
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126977 on: July 20, 2022, 07:22:56 am »
When I turn around, this is what I see....

I am ashamed.  ;D

But I'm working through it, if only people would stop listing tasty gear on Yahoo Auctions....

[EDIT] Oooh, I just noticed an empty spot at the top of the cupboard.... I'll have to deal with that...  :-DD

If you move that, looks like a steering wheel (?) there at top left over a bit and stacked the helmet on top of it, you'd have more space there, too...  Just sayin'...

>:D >:D >:D

-Pat

Edit to add - I like that spray can storage thing - is that what it's meant to be, or was it intended as a wine rack?  Regardless, I need to rig something like this up for my garage - standing upright they always get knocked over when trying to grab one, and it's a pain to find the one you want when you can't see the markings.

I assume this is WIP and once the props are installed, he can fly the spray can to the DUT and spray it via remote control  >:D Like a crop duster.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #126978 on: July 20, 2022, 07:57:37 am »
Predicted high temp today for here is 36 C. What about UK? Gonna hit 40 C again? I can only think of perhaps 3 times that it got to that temp here.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126979 on: July 20, 2022, 08:23:40 am »
Predicted high temp today for here is 36 C. What about UK? Gonna hit 40 C again? I can only think of perhaps 3 times that it got to that temp here.

Back to normal now. 27oC peak  :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #126980 on: July 20, 2022, 08:57:02 am »

"Lovey... maybe it's time to buy a farm in upstate New York." ~grand-dad

you are aware of the meaning of "buy a farm" ?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #126981 on: July 20, 2022, 08:59:18 am »
WRT my recent question regarding very specific pinball transformers it seems that I was able to dig one up, I have the Hermes shipping number.
I had to cough up 300 Brussels sprouts Pesos for it though.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #126982 on: July 20, 2022, 09:06:11 am »

That's good. Going to be brutal here right up to Sunday.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #126983 on: July 20, 2022, 09:14:33 am »
A distant memory.  :o ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126984 on: July 20, 2022, 09:53:28 am »
On-topic content:

Today I picked up a hp 5372A in running condition for work, from forum member bsdphk. Buying TE for ${EMPLOYER}'s money. There are few things more satisfying. Especially since the traditional service department is downsizing aggressively and reducing the use of TE and servicing skills in favour of tossing broken things and buying new.

In all fairness, BD was spot on when he described modern electronics as essentially unrepairable. There is not much a normal service department can do beyond swapping PCB's. And to do that, you seldom require TE; it is mostly enough to have a paint-by-numbers fault-finding guide.

Anyway, I need the 5372A to properly diagnose my network. We've come full circle, and need the precision it offers to get things verified. I also hope that I can get some text and pictures out to dispel the voodoo that is "timing transmission over stochastic networks". I feel there are some presentations waiting to be written and held.

The enheavyment-enabling rear suspension enhancement on the car is worth its investment, so very much.
Totally agree, TH FTW.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126985 on: July 20, 2022, 10:15:50 am »
got a Husqvarna 130 tree moped today.
Well just what ever you do, don't fecking sit on it  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126986 on: July 20, 2022, 10:28:03 am »
I used to take the train, but I don't fancy marinating in coronavirus... :-DD

Plus, I get to and from work on my schedule, it takes the same amount of time anyway, works out cheaper (I drive a hybrid) and I don't have to be near other people.

Also, did I mention that I don't have to be near other people? :-DD
Given the current situation, that is a very wise thing to do, covid can go f**k itself  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126987 on: July 20, 2022, 10:31:21 am »

What, its 33C here.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126988 on: July 20, 2022, 10:49:57 am »

What, its 33C here.

Says 28 peak around you on met office.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126989 on: July 20, 2022, 11:01:44 am »
And Now For Something Completely... ON TOPIC!

Hi-def HP 54621D pr0n: ARCHIVE: HP 54621D Mainboard Pics

I took oodles of pics of the 54621D mainboard while I was trying to reverse-engineer the video.  Instead of shrinking them all to fit in here nice & friendly, I made an archive of the pics one post at a time so I could keep the res as high as possible.

mnem
 :-/O

I did few logic analyzer pictures with Paint and thought JPG will be packed heavily.
Unfortunately I forgot that copy/paste with Paint will drop the resolution.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126990 on: July 20, 2022, 11:04:26 am »
Me too.
(COMPONENT SORTING)

I was pretty sure I have a NOS 8080 somewhere, I was right, found 2.
Something else came up also, ER1400 x2, not bad.
All being in the same mylar bag for around 30 years, go figure.
Some discretes and DC305 was also there, and that ratted it all out, the bag was for VAX 11/750 console, silky LA120.

Elsewhere was also partially less new.
For example few SIMM modules with through hole memory chips.

Few were unknown even after some poking around.
(can be a repost and totally obsolete stuff)
UC80068N UC80243N UC80343N
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #126991 on: July 20, 2022, 11:08:02 am »

"Lovey... maybe it's time to buy a farm in upstate New York." ~grand-dad

you are aware of the meaning of "buy a farm" ?

Ehhh... I always heard that said "bought the farm", as in past tense, already dead. Though there is some irony in there; like the song goes: "There ain't nothin' but the dead and dyin' back in my little town..."  :o

mnem
Actually, they bought two farms and merged them. Joy.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #126992 on: July 20, 2022, 11:15:47 am »

That's good. Going to be brutal here right up to Sunday.

...Temps will climb starting tomorrow with a high of 96/70%RH Wed & Thurs. Which is exactly when they're supposed to be coming to work on the AC. In the attic.  :o   Who wants to start a pool on how long it takes them to piss off somewhere else and what the excuses will be...?  :-DD

mnem
I'm expecting a call tomorrow night rescheduling til some time next week "due to overruns at a current job". :P

Well, I lost that bet big-time; they're aspoda be here in a hour to start. I still haven't got the kids up yet...  :o

mnem
Never happier to be wrong... ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #126993 on: July 20, 2022, 11:39:39 am »
Something else came up also, ER1400 x2, not bad.

As used in Tek 2445/2465 (not A/B), maybe others.

If I had those, I'd keep hold of them in case one of my 2465s cal "ram" failed. I haven't heard of that happening, unlike the A and B variants.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126994 on: July 20, 2022, 12:05:25 pm »
COMPONENT SORTING
- 6N136 : super fast optocoupler, given for 1Mbps

IIRC used in Datron 10x1 meters, and probably elsewhere.

Not sure if failure mode is aging while energised, or simply aging.

Yes indeed. My 1071 uses four 6N136 and no fewer than 8 MCT6 dual opto isolators.

Not that you'd know it by looking at the BOM in the service manual. Datron gave HP4351 as the part number of the 6N136 and FCD880 for the MCT6.

Neither HP4351 or FCD880 give any hits on the usual data sheet sites. I have no idea why they used part numbers in the BOM which bear no relation to the actual parts used. The other fun bit is that some of the opto couplers used have either (red) or (white) written after them in the BOM, but there is no documentation about the selection criteria which resulted in a white, orange or green dot being placed on the packages. I assume that the red dots turned orange with time and that the green dot implies "not white or red". Although, just to muddy the waters further, there are also chips with no coloured dot on them!
I just compared my 1071 with my 1061A parts mule and the colour or lack of a dot seems to be the same for both, with one exception which has no dot on the 1061A but has a green dot on the 1071.

Confused? Very.
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126995 on: July 20, 2022, 12:14:16 pm »
Oh now for some real test gear marketing magic. One original Linear Tech Jim Williams workbench jigsaw puzzle:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125424439942

!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126996 on: July 20, 2022, 12:22:00 pm »
Oh now for some real test gear marketing magic. One original Linear Tech Jim Williams workbench jigsaw puzzle:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125424439942

!
Must be a fake, that bench is way too tidy  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126997 on: July 20, 2022, 12:23:07 pm »

What, its 33C here.

Says 28 peak around you on met office.
Not in my lab its not.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #126998 on: July 20, 2022, 12:38:40 pm »
Check of 465B PSU before installing the Trigger Board. No popping noises and no magic smoke. +55V reference requires no adjustment. All PSU voltages present and in spec. Success.

Will now install the Trigger Board and give the scope a good checkout.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, grizewald, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Zoli, dl6lr

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #126999 on: July 20, 2022, 12:39:27 pm »
I used to take the train, but I don't fancy marinating in coronavirus... :-DD

Plus, I get to and from work on my schedule, it takes the same amount of time anyway, works out cheaper (I drive a hybrid) and I don't have to be near other people.

Also, did I mention that I don't have to be near other people? :-DD
Given the current situation, that is a very wise thing to do, covid can go f**k itself  :-DD

So can most people.  After 17 years of marriage and 22 years being together, Mrs GreyWoolfe finally realizes I am anti social.  Even around family members I want to be around, I just don't like crowds.  I can handle 3 in the house.  Any more than that, I take breaks in my office and re-ground myself.  When my son comes and visits, there are 4 but the youngest grandchild is a year and a half, too small yet to cause me stress though it is fun watching him cause son and daughter in law stress :-DD  We are having family stay for a week in August, thankfully, it is that magic number 3 that I can deal with, her natural father and his wife and one of our daughters since she hasn't seen her grandfather in decades.  Even with work, I am a remote field service tech.  If I can't fix over the phone/remote, then I go onsite, fix and leave.  I have been doing field service for almost 23 years, no way I could go back to working in a building with others, I would probably trip offline and fail to reset.  At the end of the day, I love my dogs more than I like most people, Mrs GreyWoolfe being being one of the very few exceptions.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf