Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16919743 times)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #126925 on: July 19, 2022, 05:12:20 pm »
Oh look some TE content  :-DD

Ok Tek 465B update. Couldn't resist it and have some dead time to burn. Literally burn today. Eish.

So stripped down the 465B and decided to test the pin that was controlling the faulty address line to make sure that it wasn't being shorted to something other than the 5V rail before stuffing a new chip in it. Tested fine. Looks like the chip was a random failure of some sort. I will see if I can crack open the cerdip and have a look at some point at what happened but I lack a suitable vice and microscope (at the moment  :-DD).

To do this, I slipped the leg off something else into the hole and clipped it with the Keysight micrograbbers. They are quite good. Fluke 75 because, well it was already on the desk.

After I was happy I probably wasn't going to blow the investment up immediately, in it went:

The entire unit channel switching was retested and all is good  :-+

Showcase shot of course of both working 465's connected to the DG811.  They have been put away as they suck up 90W and it's too fucking hot to run them for more than that.

Not visible too well from the picture is the 465B is super crisp compared to the 465. Once I get my probe situation sorted I will check the power supply out on the 465. It may need some filter caps. I have a plan for a new way to solve the capacitor problems in these scopes which I will detail shortly. It involves a simple "module" on one PCB. No individual adapter boards!

Remaining issues are the CH1 attenuator knob on the 465B is on the wrong location clearly because I was drunk when I cleaned it. The slope switch on the 465 delay timebase is broken and they both need new feet. I will sort those issues out when I've moved.

Now I'm going to sit in front of the fan with a pot noodle and beer like a chav  :-DD

Payment has been sent to the seller as discussed with them on iMessage. Always good to foster good business relations because I'm probably going to need them in the future and I'm sure they need reliable customers too.

Power lamp is out on the 465 too  ;D
Do you want a lead pouch for the 465? I received a random one in a package. You are welcome to up for poatage of pick-up meet.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126926 on: July 19, 2022, 05:13:02 pm »
Finally got all the new caps installed on the 465B. I shot myself in the foot on this project. I got too over zealous in pulling the old cans and I damaged several pads on the circuit board. The result was several open circuits which I had to carefully trace and ohm out and repair. I believe I fixed them all. But before I install the trigger board I'm going to apply power and make sure all voltages are present.

I like Chris' idea of an auxiliary board to mount the new caps rather than the individual adapters. But you still have to unsolder and remove the old cans and that's where I did the damage. Oh well. This is the last of my 400 series scopes that needed a re-cap anyway.

Baby it's hot out there. Nice and cool in here. That 77 F is not accurate. That unit is by an outside wall and the radiant heat is affecting it's reading. Bench area and living room is 75 F. Bedroom is 72 F. Can't wait to see my electric bill.  :scared:

Those Lacrosse thermometers are great.  Canadian Tire sells them here.  I bought a second one and realized that the specs on the transmitter were the same from the details on the regulatory label and sure enough, both thermometers received data from the transmitter that came with the first one which I mounted on a fence under a tall shrub in the back yard so it'd be in the shade.  I've got several in different rooms now all being fed from the same transmitter.

I don't have any pictures of this but I went hunting with a spectrum analyzer and found the transmitter sent data only very intermittently.  What I thought was the weather station transmitter at first turned out to be the TPMS sensors on the truck in the driveway.

I'm not looking forward to the hydro bill either.  It's going to come down to a question of a day or two where the billing period ends if I go past the 600 kWh Tier 1 limit from all the air conditioning due to having to sleep during the day.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126927 on: July 19, 2022, 05:18:33 pm »
Do you want a lead pouch for the 465? I received a random one in a package. You are welcome to up for poatage of pick-up meet.

Doesn’t have a power light. Has a low line light only. 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126928 on: July 19, 2022, 05:24:38 pm »

You learn something everyday  :) I only ever used the B model

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126929 on: July 19, 2022, 05:26:00 pm »

If it’s any consolation I find it terribly disconcerting because you don’t know if the power supply is about to explode or not the moment you turn it on like the 465B which will not light if there’s a short.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #126930 on: July 19, 2022, 05:27:41 pm »
...The way C was talking, anything less than "just shy of so cold it turns to treacle" would just evaporate on his tongue.

I'll take my chances... worst case, the conversational cutlery gets a good polishing on some dragon-hide. ;)

mnem
the much greater sin I've committed: I can't stand any beer that isn't similarly cold... and I've even done it to Guinness. Well, what they'll let us yanks have and call it Guinness, anyways.
Joking aside, the apricot brandy tastes differently on different temperatures; you can get the most flavor around 16-17°C (and considering the heatwave, it intended to be  a poke).

Joke: Still making love in a canoe?  :-DD :-DD :-DD
I never really liked beer; and as I got older, the value of doing so to make my friends feel at ease became less & less important. If forced to drink something bubbly & alcoholic, it would probably be a Smirnoff Ice or something equally despised.

Monty Python aside, I've read that a true Canadian is in fact one who knows how to make love in a canoe. One of many skills I hoped to learn up there, but alas... the dwagon family did not make it past the bureaucracy.  :-DD

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126931 on: July 19, 2022, 05:31:05 pm »
And of course we tidy up afterwards.  :P :P :-DD

How boring. This looks like something straight out of House & Garden.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 05:34:00 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #126932 on: July 19, 2022, 05:34:25 pm »
I never really liked beer; and as I got older, the value of doing so to make my friends feel at ease became less & less important. If forced to drink something bubbly & alcoholic, it would probably be a Smirnoff Ice or something equally despised.

Beer is not widely available in the USA, so it is unsurprising you never developed a taste for it.  You can get beer in San Francisco and surrounds, and I imagine in Boston.

Caveats: my personal experience is 25 years old, and even in SF beer is a relatively new addition to the food scene.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #126933 on: July 19, 2022, 05:35:52 pm »
When I turn around, this is what I see....

I am ashamed.  ;D

But I'm working through it, if only people would stop listing tasty gear on Yahoo Auctions....

[EDIT] Oooh, I just noticed an empty spot at the top of the cupboard.... I'll have to deal with that...  :-DD

In Japan space is always at a premium, right?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126934 on: July 19, 2022, 05:40:50 pm »

Just noticed I didn’t paste the second half of my reply on that.

Actually have a lead pouch for the 465 as well. I took it off so they would stack nicely  :-DD

Was trying to reproduce the last time I had two 4xx’s stacked and working

The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126935 on: July 19, 2022, 05:47:47 pm »
In case anyone is unaware, this is what is happening in London at the minute. I feel for those poor people affected and hope that everyone is safe and sound. If only the blonde buffoon hadn't reduced the fire cover when he should have been increasing it eh :palm:

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neper

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #126936 on: July 19, 2022, 05:50:59 pm »

You should use only your Z Nikon on TEA.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126937 on: July 19, 2022, 05:52:40 pm »

You should use only your Z Nikon on TEA.

I would but its packed in the flight case at the moment. When I move …

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126938 on: July 19, 2022, 06:14:37 pm »
In case anyone is unaware, this is what is happening in London at the minute. I feel for those poor people affected and hope that everyone is safe and sound. If only the blonde buffoon hadn't reduced the fire cover when he should have been increasing it eh :palm:

This has been reported all over Europe today.

We had something similar near Cologne, 4 years ago, when after weeks of draught sparks from a passing train supposedly ignited bushes along a high-speed railway line and  within a matter of minutes eight houses were ablaze. The owners could only run.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #126939 on: July 19, 2022, 06:31:47 pm »

Just noticed I didn’t paste the second half of my reply on that.

Actually have a lead pouch for the 465 as well. I took it off so they would stack nicely  :-DD

The probe pouch is the first thing to be removed when a new scope arrives. I don't use them. Most are in a bin in the garage and some have been tossed in the trash.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126940 on: July 19, 2022, 06:36:51 pm »

We had something similar near Cologne, 4 years ago, when after weeks of draught sparks from a passing train supposedly ignited bushes along a high-speed railway line and  within a matter of minutes eight houses were ablaze. The owners could only run.

Draught
Drought
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, grizewald, TERRA Operative, Neper

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126941 on: July 19, 2022, 07:16:32 pm »
Ooh just found a good auction. Got 947 mixed NP0 and X7R ceramic capacitors, mostly Kemet for £15  :-+

Lurking on component lots now.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126942 on: July 19, 2022, 07:25:22 pm »

Draught
Drought

Oops, thanks.

So, it was after weeks of drought that the bushes were ignited and they said the flames were fanned by the draught of the passing high-speed train.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126943 on: July 19, 2022, 08:02:50 pm »
For everyone working on 465B scopes, GC Surplus has half a dozen up for auction with a bit over 15 hours to go:

https://gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=422225&lcn=571280&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&lotnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

It might be local pickup only in Dartmouth, NS, so if they won't ship, that could be geographically inconvenient for just about everyone.

Edit:  Browsing through the listings, it looks like there's six lots of five Tektronix 465B scopes for 30 in total plus a lot of five of the military version of the 2235:

https://gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=422200&lcn=571255&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=526&lotnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

If they're lucky, a government lab received new equipment and they're blowing out the old stuff.  If they're not lucky, a government lab got closed down and they're fire sale-ing the equipment after laying everyone off.  Either way, if they won't pack up and ship scopes, I'm not sure the local market within an easy drive of the Halifax/Dartmouth area can absorb 30 vintage Tek scopes like that all at once.  Even if they are willing to pack up and ship them out, I'm not sure there'd be much market for them given what the packing and transportation costs would be like even if each lot sells for very little money.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 08:26:25 pm by 25 CPS »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126944 on: July 19, 2022, 08:25:15 pm »
Regarding Tektronix probe/accessory pouches, I can only say that I would like very much to get one for the TDS5104!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #126945 on: July 19, 2022, 08:30:49 pm »
For everyone working on 465B scopes, GC Surplus has half a dozen up for auction with a bit over 15 hours to go:

https://gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=422225&lcn=571280&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&lotnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

It might be local pickup only in Dartmouth, NS, so if they won't ship, that could be geographically inconvenient for just about everyone.

Edit:  Browsing through the listings, it looks like there's six lots of five Tektronix 465B scopes for 30 in total plus a lot of five of the military version of the 2235:

https://gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=422200&lcn=571255&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=526&lotnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

If they're lucky, a government lab received new equipment and they're blowing out the old stuff.  If they're not lucky, a government lab got closed down and they're fire sale-ing the equipment after laying everyone off.  Either way, if they won't pack up and ship scopes, I'm not sure the local market within an easy drive of the Halifax/Dartmouth area can absorb 30 vintage Tek scopes like that all at once.  Even if they are willing to pack up and ship them out, I'm not sure there'd be much market for them given what the packing and transportation costs would be like even if each lot sells for very little money.

There is no mention of shipping and but even if there was shipping a lot of 5 across the border will not be cheap. I have a strong suspicion that if they don't get sold they will most likely be crushed.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neper

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #126947 on: July 19, 2022, 08:55:33 pm »
The trick is to make things super easy to get out, and super easy to put away. I can't believe how much better my life has got since I stuck a proper many drawered tool-chest in the box room.

I have a plan to make a few work surfaces that are a bit like giant draws that I can fold a lid over and put work-in-progress away quickly and tidily and also get it out again with minimal fuss. Of course first I have to find a way to clear enough free shelf space in the box room of doom so that I can have perhaps three of them stored on one shelf.

In the garage, I have a 63" tool box and a military 4 drawer legal sized filing cabinet painted to match that holds corded power tools.  On top of that, I built cordless drill/driver storage that also holds my drill and bit cases.  In the office, I have a 26" tool chest for the precision hand tools, company stuff, hand held TE and probes.

All the kill/maim tools( drill press, table saw, band saw, jointer/planer) have casters on them, either when I got them or I added them.  I built 2, 2' by 4' rolling workbenches that have both miter saws, belt sander, bench grinder and mini black and decker work mate.  Mrs GreyWoolfe helped purge all the stuff there for ever that never got used and reorganized placement of the tool box and storage shelves that the cleanup went so well, I was able to eliminate 1 shelving unit that is now being used elsewhere.  My work table breaks down for easy storage, again a 2' by 4' piece of 3/4" plywood with 2X2 runners that fit into my saw horses.  All the rolling stock is lined up against 1 wall with various things hanging above them and gets returned after being used.  The most important thing she did was help provide much better placement and workflow.  I actually want to go out there and do things instead of being forced to go.

Next is going to Harbor Freight tonight to get a floor standing parts bin organizer for all the nuts, bolts, washers, screws, nails and similar that will get all of that in one place.  After all, need room for the thickness planer I just ordered.  When that gets delivered to Home Depot, I will be buying some 2X4s and casters to build a stand as I refuse to pay $170 for the associated stand.

"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126948 on: July 19, 2022, 08:56:36 pm »

There is no mention of shipping and but even if there was shipping a lot of 5 across the border will not be cheap. I have a strong suspicion that if they don't get sold they will most likely be crushed.

Don't worry they will get sold. Even for big lots that need to be collected in person. A lot of reseller are scanning those auctions. Not sure how profitable it is, but I saw a lot of items from Dartmouth (east coast) popping up on the ebay store of a seller located British Colombia (west coast).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 09:00:44 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf