Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16928683 times)

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #126750 on: July 18, 2022, 04:57:02 pm »
A quick heads-up for the North Americans in the thread, a couple of nice free + shipping instruments in the BSW sub-forum:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/free-leeds-northrup-k-3-universal-potentiometer/

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/free-wayne-kerr-b601-rf-bridge/
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #126751 on: July 18, 2022, 04:58:14 pm »
Definitely agree with this. Observations from experimentation with remaining hydrated and pissed at the same time:

Bottle of wine -> banging headache.

Several beers -> banging headache.

Bottle of port -> worst headache I have ever had.

Litre of Pepsi Max -> banging headache.

Couple of glasses of absinthe -> banging headache.

Way too much vodka -> no headache.

So the answer is to drink vodka and remain hydrated. To celebrate that discovery I'm going to ignore the findings and crack open another Punk IPA :)

In the name of science, I have found that possibly due to a quirk of my personal physiology, a couple shots of tequila makes for less of a headache in the morning.

Unfortunately, I'm a deranged sicko who likes tequila so I often overdo it. More testing is required.......

I also agree on the vodka. I have a soft spot for Żubrówka, and Smirnoff premix is my guilty pleasure.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126752 on: July 18, 2022, 05:12:53 pm »
COMPONENT SORTING

ANother DIP8 to pick your brain, if you know what it is / datasheet :

It's marked " C81DC ".

Again somehow Aliexpress has one for sale :

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005001738808933.html

But the ad doesn't say what it is, so not much help.

All Goolge can tell me is that most likely, this chip is made by Toshiba, and maybe it's an analog / Linear IC, and maybe just maybe, it could have something to do with fast signals like video signals, most likely in consumer gear I imagine...
Also possible, not sure, that this C81DC a code and not the actual part number, which does not help.

The winner gets a bucket load of ice cubes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262980831072
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #126753 on: July 18, 2022, 05:16:13 pm »
For the record, the temp here in Chelmsford, UK is 37C in the shade.
Edit:
Just picked SWMBO up from work and its now 39C  :phew: And its currently 32C in my lab with all the windows and curtains closed.

37.1 in Brizzle. My temp is 37.

Just about to walk to the local shop to get some sparkling water. I expect the tarmac is ~55C. I may be some time[1]

[1] after Warren Oates, who followed that idiot Scott to his death.
But Scott was well-bred, so he was a better example[2] of a hero than Shackleton - who stunningly managed to lead his men to safety.

[2] Bloody "Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori" attitude.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 05:26:24 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #126754 on: July 18, 2022, 05:25:22 pm »
Just so.

I suspect the concept of dehydration stems from conflating a headache when you've drunk too much or are dehydrated. The Delicious impurities in the dilute alcohol are more likely culprits than the alcohol itself.

Definitely agree with this. Observations from experimentation with remaining hydrated and pissed at the same time:

Bottle of wine -> banging headache.

Several beers -> banging headache.

Bottle of port -> worst headache I have ever had.

Litre of Pepsi Max -> banging headache.

Couple of glasses of absinthe -> banging headache.

Way too much vodka -> no headache.

So the answer is to drink vodka and remain hydrated. To celebrate that discovery I'm going to ignore the findings and crack open another Punk IPA :)

Vodka yes, provided it has been fully distilled. If not there can be a tendency to wake up into twilight or darkness. Never seen the point of paying more than the absolute minimum for (pure) vodka; the whole point is it has no distinguishing taste!

Rum is supposed to be particularly bad, but I wouldn't know. Would "white rum" be an attempt to avoid the issue.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126755 on: July 18, 2022, 05:27:55 pm »

Main tools used were a microfibre cloth and some kitchen spray  :-DD

Change your avatar to Mr Sheen.

Izzat the "across the pond" equivalent of dis guy...? Not sure bd would be willin' ta shave 'is head like I do...  :o

mnem
 ???
He's known under a slightly different name in germany  ;D

I'm quite sure our Mr. Muscle was bald and showing one bicep, maybe from back.
Google is not a friend.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #126756 on: July 18, 2022, 05:37:12 pm »
The Summer's first genuine heat wave this week.

Presently, in the Sunshine State of Florida it is 91 F, 32.8 C with a heat index of 107 F, 41.7.  RH is liquid air.  And we are not yet in the hottest months.  Those numbers will increase from 5-9 degrees F.  Thank GOD I don't live in south Florida any more.  They break 100 F multiple times during summer, we rarely do.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #126757 on: July 18, 2022, 05:45:37 pm »
28C now and they are issuing heat warnings.
D'oh.
anyway. apologized to my bossboss for being sick. was told to take it easy and recover and get an overview on open topics before reporting on the project.
Old friend of mine (since high school) is taking care of his mother who is suffering from dementia (has been for the last 15 years and lost everything while doing so). His notebook went *boom*. I'll be donating him a computer to give him something to do and stay online.
Not looking forward to meet him though, he is struggling and needs to talk, but I got too much stuff on my plate too and do not feel fit enough to do psychotherapy (not intending to be nasty, but trying therapy on friends and family usually does not work ...)

Anyway. Prepared the computer yesterday. Nothing fancy, an old z87M-plus with an i5-4570, 16GB mem, 240GB SSD and a GTX 960. Should provide him with connectivity and a little bit of gaming options.

Anyway. I don't envy his situation. Will drop off the computer within the next 2 weeks ...

btw if any of you needs a bloody 'puter, I got plenty of those. Up to 64GB w/ RTX 3090. just drop me a note. Need to clean out some surplus stuff ...

Will try to get my act together and continue with that Dracula Pinball.
Here, have a look.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Zoli, Atomillo

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126758 on: July 18, 2022, 05:48:08 pm »
The Summer's first genuine heat wave this week.

Presently, in the Sunshine State of Florida it is 91 F, 32.8 C with a heat index of 107 F, 41.7.  RH is liquid air.  And we are not yet in the hottest months.  Those numbers will increase from 5-9 degrees F.  Thank GOD I don't live in south Florida any more.  They break 100 F multiple times during summer, we rarely do.
When we were in the greater Houston area in October 2016 we usually had > 100F plus thrudaroof humidity. I have no idea how hot it usually is during summer, but I also won't find out.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126759 on: July 18, 2022, 05:54:58 pm »
COMPONENT SORTING

It's marked " C81DC ".

All Goolge can tell me is that most likely, this chip is made by Toshiba, and maybe it's an analog / Linear IC, and maybe just maybe, it could have something to do with fast signals like video signals, most likely in consumer gear I imagine...
Also possible, not sure, that this C81DC a code and not the actual part number, which does not help.

Thanks. So if... if this ebay ad is not full of shite, then it's a little serial EEPROM.... now need the datasheet for it so I can use it.

What ? You still have not found it ? I am waiting...  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126760 on: July 18, 2022, 06:00:15 pm »
Not looking forward to meet him though, he is struggling and needs to talk, but I got too much stuff on my plate too and do not feel fit enough to do psychotherapy (not intending to be nasty, but trying therapy on friends and family usually does not work ...)

It's probably enough to just listen and let him talk.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126761 on: July 18, 2022, 06:19:23 pm »
fully aware of it, however I do not have the strength to listen to him for hours. Unfortunately.
He needs *help* and to provide this is beyond my current capabilities.
Unfortunately.
He is 350 km away. he is suffering from burn out, depression, huge stress due to his mother slowly fading away. It is beyond my capabilities to do more for him than listen to him for 3 - 5 hours/week and try to help him out. He would need someone there full time to take the load of home care off his shoulders, someone out there looking after his mental and physical health, someone to take care of his family house which started to rot away. If I had been a millionaire I would have tried to help with the daycare stuff and the house. But I am not, and we have more than enough on our plate already. I am sorry, but there is only so much I can do.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 06:44:19 pm by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, Atomillo

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126762 on: July 18, 2022, 06:57:31 pm »
Now where did I see it ...?  Something about a bodily function and a rope... ... ...
You can forgive the Poms as they've yet not learnt how to properly chill beer !

Oh, we've tried. We found that it is impossible to do.

Chilling gnat's piss is easy, however.

Gnat's piss examples include Coors and anything that needs to be advertised by a "muscle man" (Which may or may not also be Coors; nobody cares)
Maybe its due to the higher alcohol content of our beers, gnats piss is by default, largely just coloured water  :P :-DD

I don't think so. Some gnat's piss has standard alcohol content, and some beer has a low alcoholic content - and is quite pleasant in summer :)

What ever, consuming quantities of said amber nectar over here in the UK is not to be advised during this heat as the alcohol actually dehydrates you so the experts warn...hang on, isn't that confirming the sentence above has some truth to it  :-// :-DD

Beer will dehydrate you less than, say, a G&T. If 10mg of alcohol "dehydrates" you by encouraging urination, then with a beer you will get more water with that 10mg to "rehydrate" you.

The whole thing about beer dehydrating you is an old wives' tale. Each gram of alcohol consumed causes a net loss of around 10 ml of water (generally accepted and easy to remember figure). So a pint (568 ml) of 4% abv beer contains 22.7 ml of alcohol, giving 17.9 g of alcohol. This will cause the loss of 180ml of water, but the pint of beer will have supplied about 540 ml of water (with perhaps a small fudge factor for dissolved solids), leaving a net result of at 360 ml of additional hydration.

The G&T case is actually marginal as well: 25 ml shot of 40% gin - ~8gm alcohol - net fluid loss (80 - 15) = 65 ml to be made up with tonic water and ice. So as long as your G&T is 1:2.6 gin and tonic respectively you're not going to suffer dehydration, with any excess tonic over the 2.6 contributing to hydration, but by the time you get any significant hydration from drinking it you're going to be pissed as an admiral.

I don't think this is how it works. AFAIK the water passes through your system quite quickly, while the alcohol takes time to break down. Also I believe the headache associated with hangovers is caused by the buildup of acetaldehyde, which needs more water to help flush it from the system? After a quick read of this I'm not really much the wiser; looks like the answer is "it's complicated".

The fact remains however, that if I had enough to drink that I got wobbly the night before, the morning after I'll have a mouth drier than a sachet of desiccant beads in the Atacama desert.

That is how it works. Alcohol is a diuretic, but a mild one (e.g. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10204649/). What rate you balance water at (homeostasis) is totally devolved from alcohol metabolism.

Ethyl alcohol is quickly metabolised in the liver to acetaldehyde via Alcohol Dehydrogenase (ADH). Acetaldehyde doesn't give you a hangover, it's quickly metabolised to acetate (in the form of AcetylCoA), by Aldehyde Dehydrogenase (unless you're deficient in aldehyde dehydrogenase like some asian populations are). Acetaldehyde is responsible for the increased superficial blood flow that makes you feel warm and your face redden when you've been drinking. If you're not 'glowing' then the acetaldehyde has fallen below physiologically significant levels. Acetate enters normal metabolic pathways as fuel (oxidative phosphorylation, Kreb's cycle) bound to Coenzyme A, so that too gets used up quickly. A typical ethanol metabolism rate for a healthy 70kg male is about 10g/hr, the availability of ADH and ALDH being the limiting factor and both can be induced via the classic operon route, which is why regular drinkers get drunk less easily.

Urination (and thus the use of water for urination) takes no significant part of ridding the body of either ethanol or acetaldehyde, any excretion via that route is purely incidental (0.7 - 1.5% of alcohol consumed is excreted unchanged in the urine). The kidneys concentrate the things excreted via that route, thus if they were involved in getting rid of alcohol you'd drink beer and piss whiskey. We know you don't, not from any great scientific investigation, but simply because if you did it would have been discovered *ahem* naturally a very, very long time ago. Thus there is no use of water to 'flush out' alcohol or its metabolites.

Most of the hangover symptoms are caused by other alcohols that don't neatly pass down the well evolved EtOH->MeCHO->Acetate pathway. Those alcohols produce intermediate products that don't happily trip through the pathway - the classic being Methyl Alcohol, which is initially processed by Alcohol Dehydrogenase but instead of acetaldehyde produces formaldehyde which does direct damage by binding to everything in sight before Aldehyde Dehydrogenase can get anywhere near it.

Just because you wake up with a hangover and a dry mouth doesn't mean that you're dehydrated. There are plenty of things that can leave you with a dry mouth other than dehydration, snoring like a bull elephant for instance. In fact it's quite dangerous to assume that someone who can produce enough saliva to comfortably wet their mouth is adequately hydrated. Next time you have a hangover pinch the skin on the back of your hand. If it snaps back (speed depending on skin elasticity and hence age) you're not dehydrated. If it 'tents' and stays in the pinched shape, or takes significantly longer to snap back compared to what's normal for you, then you are dehydrated.

In the interests of science you should now go and get absolutely plastered, test your hydration and report back.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126763 on: July 18, 2022, 07:01:35 pm »
COMPONENT SORTING

It's marked " C81DC ".

Thanks. So if... if this ebay ad is not full of shite, then it's a little serial EEPROM.... now need the datasheet for it so I can use it.

What ? You still have not found it ? I am waiting...  >:D

Sorry the delay, had to visit a food store, and collect a parcel.
(old days were not better, post was already closed a moment after lunch)

Google "i2c c81dc" and there it is.
Samsung TV and C81DC, 1028x8Bit, 8P, 100mS, 5V, PLASTIC, 10uA, CMOS IC-EEPROM.

Seems to be regular 24C something memory bnut numbering is a bit odd.

E,
I already corrected that nut.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 07:05:53 pm by m k »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126764 on: July 18, 2022, 07:02:43 pm »
I fucking hate Microsoft.
Nuke them from orbit.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, scl, wolfy007, bd139, grizewald

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126765 on: July 18, 2022, 07:08:23 pm »
bloody cunts. force an update and prohibit driver installation. Deinstall the old graphics driver while doing the update. Does anybody have an asteroid that I could direct appropriately to the greater Redmond area ?
Or  like, 10 cubic meters of neutroneum ?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126766 on: July 18, 2022, 07:11:19 pm »
I don’t have one but I’ll chip in with a group buy of stealth covered asteroids to point at them:

The following users thanked this post: Atomillo

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126767 on: July 18, 2022, 07:16:21 pm »
Nuke them from orbit.

Can't we find some way slower and more painful?

I couldn't believe it when I read this article recently by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, who I hardly remember as being a M$ fanboy: https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/13/microsoft_linux_company/

They were always evil and are still the embodiment of evil and always will be. M$'s only interest in open source is as part of their unchanged embrace, extend, extinguish strategy. Employing Poettering is the clearest evidence yet of their long term plan to assimilate Linux.
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #126768 on: July 18, 2022, 07:22:46 pm »
bloody cunts. force an update and prohibit driver installation. Deinstall the old graphics driver while doing the update. Does anybody have an asteroid that I could direct appropriately to the greater Redmond area ?   Or  like, 10 cubic meters of neutroneum ?   

What, you lose the remote to my Suborbital Crowbar Launcher?

Or are you past due for a reload...?  :-DD

mnem
If faxing my ass to Redmond... twice... didn't make the place implode, I'm not too sanguine about your chances... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126769 on: July 18, 2022, 07:22:52 pm »
In the interests of science you should now go and get absolutely plastered, test your hydration and report back.

Not when I've got work tomorrow, on what may well be the hottest day on UK records. The "welfare" cabin was bad enough today, damn near couldn't breathe in the shitbox, and purely because of the heat, not the smell.

I opened my car windows in good time before setting off home, and the air inside had reduced from blast furnace to merely unpleasantly warm, but the seat back was so hot it felt like I was sitting in a sandwich press.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126770 on: July 18, 2022, 07:27:15 pm »
Nuke them from orbit.

I couldn't believe it when I read this article recently by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, who I hardly remember as being a M$ fanboy: https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/13/microsoft_linux_company/

They were always evil and are still the embodiment of evil and always will be. M$'s only interest in open source is as part of their unchanged embrace, extend, extinguish strategy. Employing Poettering is the clearest evidence yet of their long term plan to assimilate Linux.

ok, feed them to a singularity, harness the energy and use it to get out of the current crisis ...

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126771 on: July 18, 2022, 07:28:40 pm »

I opened my car windows in good time before setting off home, and the air inside had reduced from blast furnace to merely unpleasantly warm, but the seat back was so hot it felt like I was sitting in a sandwich press.

If it does become necessary to go out in this heat, 25 minutes beforehand I shall press the button that turns my car's air conditioning on remotely. [Fx: adopts particularly smug look]
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126772 on: July 18, 2022, 07:30:00 pm »
For the record, the temp here in Chelmsford, UK is 37C in the shade.
Edit:
Just picked SWMBO up from work and its now 39C  :phew: And its currently 32C in my lab with all the windows and curtains closed.

37.1 in Brizzle. My temp is 37.

Just about to walk to the local shop to get some sparkling water. I expect the tarmac is ~55C. I may be some time[1]

[1] after Warren Oates, who followed that idiot Scott to his death.
But Scott was well-bred, so he was a better example[2] of a hero than Shackleton - who stunningly managed to lead his men to safety.

[2] Bloody "Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori" attitude.

i really hate to be that guy.  but was just watching an episode of "gunsmoke" and saw warren oates.

you probably meant lawrence oates?
free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #126773 on: July 18, 2022, 07:34:25 pm »
Nuke them from orbit.

If they do assimilate LINUX, the rest of the world might get a memory architecture that actually works... :o

Of course, they could've done that with OS/2 decades ago, so I'm not holding my breath.  ::)

mnem
A programmer friend once described Windows' Memory structure as something like the Baba Yaga's Hut: A huge house full of evil code to create a rootkit against the computer's owner, standing on spindly chicken legs that takes nothing more than a sneeze to make it all come tumbling down...  :-\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126774 on: July 18, 2022, 07:35:51 pm »
Not while it’s on intel aka Z80 version 29.

Anyway I said I wouldn’t comment further on computer matters.  :palm: :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf