Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16926214 times)

Vince and 167 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #126700 on: July 18, 2022, 10:55:21 am »
Now where did I see it ...?  Something about a bodily function and a rope... ... ...

Piss
Up
A
Rope.

:-DD

Gonna be hot today here too. But not me. Can do TE with the A/C keeping it a cool 23 C.   :-+
Just wait till you have a power cut, then you'll understand just how flipping Jelly some of us are right now  :-DD

If my power goes out I will hunt you down.  :P :-DD
There's just one answer to that.................

Piss
Up
A
Rope.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #126701 on: July 18, 2022, 10:59:14 am »
While doing a quick Google on weather topics, I had this ad presented...

Seriously..   :wtf:  :scared:   :palm:

"Carefully measuring the distance to the cliff
took her most of the mor-or-or-ning...
What followed was merely in poor taste."

~a ditty mum would sometimes sing when she saw I was about to do something particularly stupid.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #126702 on: July 18, 2022, 11:00:00 am »
Now where did I see it ...?  Something about a bodily function and a rope... ... ...
You can forgive the Poms as they've yet not learnt how to properly chill beer !

Oh, we've tried. We found that it is impossible to do.

Chilling gnat's piss is easy, however.

Gnat's piss examples include Coors and anything that needs to be advertised by a "muscle man" (Which may or may not also be Coors; nobody cares)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126703 on: July 18, 2022, 11:07:45 am »
I'd like to hear your opinion on buying 2nd hand isolation transformers.
What about security risks due to e.g. overcurrent use by the 1st owner?
Say, an idling transformer might measure fine but then fail when running with in spec high current, because of some inside isolation fault.

Just your opinion, no liable advice. I'll decide on my own, when and how to die.   :-DD
I have a second-hand one, and I'm still around some 5 years after the purchase, go for it, you can always test the isolation for yourself.

mnem
Can I watch and post video to antisocial media...? >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126704 on: July 18, 2022, 11:08:52 am »

Well I suppose if you stick a compass in the sockets then you’re not going to have to pay the bill again  :-DD

Oh, it would cut both the power and the bill: things wouldn't be switched on.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126705 on: July 18, 2022, 11:10:43 am »
I try and break the law at least once a day.

it's your patriotic duty as an Englishman to resist all that Norman and Roman rubbish!  :)

Can a damned yankee dwagon from New England join this resistance...? I know y'all have bad history with the last Connecticut Yankee what meddled on your side of the pond...  :o

mnem

Yes of course you can, just as long as you don't go round belching out fire and burning everything  :-DD :-DD

Belching, no problem. But I can't help my allergies...  :o

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126706 on: July 18, 2022, 11:12:48 am »
Ah summer is needed to identify the mental people so you can distrust them  >:D

“I really love this weather” … add them to the list.

“Want to go for a run today?” … add them to the list.

“Oh I prefer Morocco heat” … add them to the list.

“G’day” … add them to the list.

And now you know why I always greet you with "Fuck off & die!" in the Discord.  :-DD

mnem
Well that... and the fact it's still funny as hell... ;)

I appreciate it  >:D :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126707 on: July 18, 2022, 11:15:01 am »

Well I suppose if you stick a compass in the sockets then you’re not going to have to pay the bill again  :-DD

Oh, it would cut both the power and the bill: things wouldn't be switched on.

The carbon on the pencil end of the compass may limit the current and just make it a long and painful experience.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126708 on: July 18, 2022, 11:17:01 am »
One can only hope.  >:D

mnem
Darwin was an optimist.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126709 on: July 18, 2022, 11:17:42 am »

Gnat's piss examples include Coors and anything that needs to be advertised by a "muscle man" (Which may or may not also be Coors; nobody cares)
Maybe its due to the higher alcohol content of our beers, gnats piss is by default, largely just coloured water  :P :-DD

What ever, consuming quantities of said amber nectar over here in the UK is not to be advised during this heat as the alcohol actually dehydrates you so the experts warn...hang on, isn't that confirming the sentence above has some truth to it  :-// :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126710 on: July 18, 2022, 11:21:59 am »

Piss
Up
A
Rope.

Gonna be hot today here too. But not me. Can do TE with the A/C keeping it a cool 23 C.   :-+
Just wait till you have a power cut, then you'll understand just how flipping Jelly some of us are right now  :-DD

If my power goes out I will hunt you down.  :P :-DD

Yeeeaahhh...

We've been cooling the upstairs with fans pulling air from the downstairs for over a month. This lovely old house is 10 degrees warmer than outside half the time.

We have contractors coming to replace the upstairs AC unit this week; I don't dare speak any further lest I jinx it.

mnem
You want real horror? Look at our electric bill for June-July.   

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #126711 on: July 18, 2022, 11:22:49 am »

Piss
Up
A
Rope.

There we go.....   ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126712 on: July 18, 2022, 11:26:30 am »

Maybe its due to the higher alcohol content of our beers, gnats piss is by default, largely just coloured water  :P :-DD

What ever, consuming quantities of said amber nectar over here in the UK is not to be advised during this heat as the alcohol actually dehydrates you so the experts warn...hang on, isn't that confirming the sentence above has some truth to it  :-// :-DD

And here I am snarfing a COLD Brewdog with my microwave lunch  :-DD

Onto TE. Spending some of today’s dead time migrating some hand drawn schematics into Kicad. I found a 6502 design I did about 30 years ago and it turns out WDC still sell new CPU and VIA parts! I got as far as hand writing a serial monitor/loader for it on paper which I must have done when I was bored at school looking at the awful hand writing  :scared:. Will type it in see if it assembles  :-DD.

Edit oh the TE point here is becoming an excuse to buy a logic analyser
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 11:28:06 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #126713 on: July 18, 2022, 11:28:20 am »

Piss
Up
A
Rope.

There we go.....   ;D

I suggest the acronym  "PUAR". Sounds like someone pissing up a rope with a catheter insertet in.

;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126714 on: July 18, 2022, 11:29:42 am »

Darwinism in action.

Years ago I saw an article by a journalist who'd been told he didn't need an electrician to disconnect an old electric cooker, as it was easy. So he cut through the cable with a bread knife and was surprised that there was a flash and a bang and the blade of the knife had piece burned out. It could have cost him his life. He wrote an article about how this electrical stuff was all more difficult and dangerous than you could possibly imagine.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126715 on: July 18, 2022, 11:35:09 am »
Darwinism in action.

Years ago I saw an article by a journalist who'd been told he didn't need an electrician to disconnect an old electric cooker, as it was easy. So he cut through the cable with a bread knife and was surprised that there was a flash and a bang and the blade of the knife had piece burned out. It could have cost him his life. He wrote an article about how this electrical stuff was all more difficult and dangerous than you could possibly imagine.

Those were the guys who were sitting at the back of the classroom in GCSE science.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126716 on: July 18, 2022, 11:42:37 am »
Random spur of the moment TEA Acquisition... Just cos' I've always wanted one, the price was rather low and it seems to be in great condition.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, Zoli, duckduck, Atomillo

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126717 on: July 18, 2022, 11:50:14 am »
Talk about topical ....   Just had a segment on the nightly news about the current heatwave through Europe and Britain.

Hitting the 40's is bad enough when you're used to it - but it's going to be dire for those who aren't.   The hobbits had the right idea ...Underground.
44 degrees yesterday...   Fortunately the customs and manners of southern Spain have adapted to such conditions :-+

Now "The Running of the Bulls" sortof makes sense; people are hoping to die quickly and painfully, rather than stewing in their own juices till there's nothing left but sun-bleached bones... :o

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Atomillo

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126718 on: July 18, 2022, 11:52:22 am »

Random spur of the moment TEA Acquisition... Just cos' I've always wanted one, the price was rather low and it seems to be in great condition.

McBryce.

Creamed spinach for breakfast... yummmmm.    :-DD

mnem
I forgot to put something down here.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126719 on: July 18, 2022, 12:28:55 pm »
For those who are into military aircraft, there is a live feed of the departing aircraft from RIAT on now with around 350 aircrafte departing back to the bases around the world.

And here they were terrified when a A400M did a low bypass at the beach of Travemünde. I remember the times as a kid where we had daily low-level flights with Lockheed F-104 (Starfighter) with nearly sound of speed, so you will not hear them until they pass you :) And often you heard the bang when they did supersonic over the sea.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126720 on: July 18, 2022, 12:30:32 pm »
New TEA
What could it be?
Nice! I'm missing that one! If you don't have the manual, there is a good description of it's use in NAVSEA SEOOO-OO-EIM-160.

Hi,
Found the manual online. I'll look at the NAVSEA document though, thanks for the hint. It looks like it is much nicer to use than the similar TE by other vendors that are DC or pulse based.
Shame on me - I did not recognise it even as I own the same instrument! I thought it was the HP current tracer. As you say you have the manual, I have nothing to offer here. Forger the NAVSEA doc, it applies to the HP tracer.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126721 on: July 18, 2022, 01:43:16 pm »
Let me guess, it has the same blue IC sockets as mine for all the ribbon cables?

I sincerely hope there'll be a special place in hell for all those who specified these crappy sockets. Commodore computers were full of them and they were the source of 99 percent of all problems there.

Recently, someone gave me a frequency counter with a rather illogical behaviour. Tried, tested and mesaured a bunch of things, to no avail, until I pushed the ubiquitous ICM 7216 a little deeper into its socket. Problem solved.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126722 on: July 18, 2022, 01:49:47 pm »
Darwinism in action.

Those were the guys who were sitting at the back of the classroom in GCSE science.

mnem
 :bullshit:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, Peter_O

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126723 on: July 18, 2022, 01:53:42 pm »

I don't think so. Some gnat's piss has standard alcohol content, and some beer has a low alcoholic content - and is quite pleasant in summer :)

Beer will dehydrate you less than, say, a G&T. If 10mg of alcohol "dehydrates" you by encouraging urination, then with a beer you will get more water with that 10mg to "rehydrate" you.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126724 on: July 18, 2022, 01:55:43 pm »

Darwinism in action.

And don't tell me; it had a plug, right...?   

mnem
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 01:59:28 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf