Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16928826 times)

flash2b and 169 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #126500 on: July 17, 2022, 01:00:26 am »
Seen some shit in my time but this ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362782549796

:palm: :palm: :palm:
Holy shit, I'm not surprised at it not working. It's like I said in another post, some people lack brains and what makes it even worse is that more than likely some stupid dipshit will more than likely buy this as well  :palm:

Hey, at least you can see everything that's been robbed off it before you waste your time & money... and if I were in dire need of something it actually has, I might pay more than I want to for it to save myself myself the guilt of robbing it off a decent example.  :-//

Just sayin'...

mnem
might, I say... might. If I were really desperate for that part.
Yep, you'd have to be really desperate for that part as after seeing the clear abuse it has been subjected to, their is real and dangerous possiblity that that part is going to be equally knackered one way or another  :-DD :-DD

WTF is that POS? I might use it for target practice.  :palm:

Naaah... not that bad. Timebase knob is in good shape, and it has those trapezoidal switch caps bd139 needs also in nice & black finish. I'd offer the moke 10 quid for it.

This is what I'd find more worrisome. Ships from the US but does not ship to the US. I know exactly where that is; I've been there. I suspect maybe they've had a irate customer come dot a eye for 'em or summat.  :-DD

I've seen this vendor before too; they're regulars in the "TE Junque" trade. :-//

mnem
 :-BROKE

That seller & others use separate listings, for different groups of countries they ship too, here it is with US shipping (+$28) https://www.ebay.com/itm/362707415754

Which is probably more than the knobs & transistors are worth.  :-DD

They are probably an E-waste company and like many others they sell some of it one ebay, others items are complete & not trashed. It's probably not worth their time to remove parts & list them separately.

David
Yebbutt, you see... that's right in the neighborhood I'm talking aboot. If I were a real fan of those series scopes, I'd totes pay $35 for those knobs and a few other bits to not feel the shame of gutting a "whole" unit like a fish.

mnem
 :-//
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126501 on: July 17, 2022, 01:21:11 am »
was just down the basement bodging a little fan into an hp1740a.  according to the fluke temp probe those poor little rectifier bridges were cooking along at 165-170 F.  the replacement bridge was just as hot.

after installing the fan they all measure at 105-100 F.

while doing this i had a feeling that someone somewhere was talking about me.

no idea who it could have been, but thankfully you fine gentlemen would NEVER do such a thing.

Calling us "gentlemen" in itself is a stretch.  >:D
There is at least one scary lady! ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #126502 on: July 17, 2022, 01:30:44 am »
   Found this set for a price about of one new punch and die. It had some light rust and three worn out punches I left out. Now after some intensive cleaning I’m ready for serious punching  8)

It is literally impossible to imagine any negative consequence from more Finnish participation in this thread.

Nothing says "I love you, man!" like 30 kilos of supersonic ceramic shrapnel!  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126503 on: July 17, 2022, 02:46:18 am »
I just missed a hp 3435A.
It was for sale on the "Amateur Radio Western Australia" Facebook Group, for local pickup across town, at $A25!!

I console myself by saying "Maybe it didn't work!".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126504 on: July 17, 2022, 03:30:58 am »
It was for sale on the "Amateur Radio Western Australia" Facebook Group, for local pickup across town, at $A25!!

(Attachment Link)

That's only about 14 shillings and 6d in old money!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #126505 on: July 17, 2022, 04:00:12 am »
There is a option in ebay to disable combined shipping, whether the seller turned it on by accident, or intent, or it's the default option is another matter.

I've finally had some success with getting international shipping added to an item I really wanted, annoyingly ebay made it very difficult for them, as international was disabled by default, then when they had turned it on most countries were still excluded by default, thankfully after several messages back & too last night I was finally able to buy it.
It's Systron Donner DMM, model 7005A with options; 01 auto ranging, 02 AC volts, 03 resistance & 04 DC mA. Ignore the markings in red for mV (option 07), you can't have this option if DC mA 04 is fitted, as they use the same connector.

David

I look forward to seeing pics of the innards.  The outards (front panel at least) look very similar to the Fairchild 7000, but with an additional digit.  Wonder if there was any incestuousness going on betwixt the two companies

-Pat

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 04:03:15 am by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #126506 on: July 17, 2022, 05:01:52 am »

while doing this i had a feeling that someone somewhere was talking about me.

no idea who it could have been, but thankfully you fine gentlemen would NEVER do such a thing.

I wasn't talking. I was listening and giggling.  :-DD

mnem
gentle-dwagon, BTW.  >:D
Giggling?  Not me!

It was more of a chuckle.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 05:08:07 am by Brumby »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126507 on: July 17, 2022, 05:40:56 am »
New TEA
What could it be?
Nice! I'm missing that one! If you don't have the manual, there is a good description of it's use in NAVSEA SEOOO-OO-EIM-160.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126508 on: July 17, 2022, 05:45:49 am »
Hopefully not an anal probe...

@Robert if you don't mind sharing, what did you offer on the Keithley 199? (no I'm not still annoyed that you beat me to the punch   :-DD  )

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126509 on: July 17, 2022, 06:02:37 am »

(Attachment Link)

That's only about 14 shillings and 6d in old money!

Not $1.45,---$25.00

That's "£12/10/0", I'll have you know!---at least in Oz "old money" ;D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #126510 on: July 17, 2022, 06:07:29 am »
* Starts singing a jingle to the tune "Click go the shears" .... circa 14th February, 1966 *

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126511 on: July 17, 2022, 08:17:52 am »
(Guess) Hall probe to tell you which way the current is flowing?

Close, not Hall

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126512 on: July 17, 2022, 08:19:58 am »

@Robert if you don't mind sharing, what did you offer on the Keithley 199? (no I'm not still annoyed that you beat me to the punch   :-DD  )

£110.
If you want it I can pass it on unopened......

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126513 on: July 17, 2022, 08:39:56 am »
New TEA
What could it be?
Nice! I'm missing that one! If you don't have the manual, there is a good description of it's use in NAVSEA SEOOO-OO-EIM-160.

Hi,
Found the manual online. I'll look at the NAVSEA document though, thanks for the hint. It looks like it is much nicer to use than the similar TE by other vendors that are DC or pulse based.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 09:37:52 am by Robert763 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126514 on: July 17, 2022, 09:10:09 am »
Ok on way back from hamfest now.

That absolute turd arrived at 08:30 and emptied it again  >:(

Did manage to grab a manky tek 465, a solartron 7150, some 10 turn pots, TO18 heat sinks and a book to sell. And I still have change from £25  :-DD

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126515 on: July 17, 2022, 09:29:13 am »

Did manage to grab a manky tek 465, a solartron 7150, some 10 turn pots, TO18 heat sinks and a book to sell. And I still have change from £25  :-DD

Is the turd a dealer?

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #126516 on: July 17, 2022, 09:47:28 am »

£110.

That's pretty good. No, it's ok thanks, as I said earlier my eyes are bigger than my wallet at the moment. Would you believe that we are still waiting to receive last year's pay rise, never mind this year's. When that eventually arrives I'll be in a less uncomfortable position...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126517 on: July 17, 2022, 09:48:17 am »
New TEA
What could it be?

It's a General Radio 2220 Bug Hound.
Used for tracing shoerts nad opens in PCBs and wiring. also good for genearl circuit tracing.
Unlike similar tools like ToneOhm and the HPP current tracer probe it uses AC signals and a phase sensitive detector. I'm looking forward to using it in anger.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, srb1954

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126518 on: July 17, 2022, 09:52:13 am »

£110.

That's pretty good. No, it's ok thanks, as I said earlier my eyes are bigger than my wallet at the moment. Would you believe that we are still waiting to receive last year's pay rise, never mind this year's. When that eventually arrives I'll be in a less uncomfortable position...

It's not jammy git price but I thought it was OK. My TEA fund is quite full at the moment which is not good for downsizing.......

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #126519 on: July 17, 2022, 09:58:03 am »

Do you still need some parts for your 465B? The 465 that you grabbed today may not have those same parts. And did you finally get that IC?

If you need something let me know. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126520 on: July 17, 2022, 10:02:15 am »
Greetings TEA folk!

It's been far too long since I was here last, mainly due to a serious lack of time due to work pressure. As I'm on a nice long vacation from work at the moment, I spent a few days catching up on things here (as best one can for 2000+ pages) and have thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Despite having been pretty much overloaded with work, my GAS problem has continued unabated.

The highlight of my acquisitions since I was last posting here has to be the Datron 1071.

I found this rather sad looking specimen below on eBay and before I knew it, BCCS hit and it was on the way to me.

The rear view contributed to the urgent need to hit the "Buy" button as it showed a fully optioned machine!

I have no idea how the front panel had ended up the way it was. I suspect the use of acetone or IPA. Thankfully, the discolouration was finally solved with the application of some magical "Renaissance Wax". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax)

A full teardown and more pictures will follow after I've had some brunch.

Anyway, it's nice to be back and to see that you are all just as certifiable as ever!

edit: images shrunk to 500 pixel previews - clickable for full size
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 02:43:25 pm by grizewald »
  Lord of Sealand

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126521 on: July 17, 2022, 10:14:43 am »

Do you still need some parts for your 465B? The 465 that you grabbed today may not have those same parts. And did you finally get that IC?

If you need something let me know.

Yeah the 465 today is useless for repairing this. I'm semi hoping it works as well  :-DD. I'm after the timebase ROM on the vertical board. I will PM you - any help appreciated!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126522 on: July 17, 2022, 10:15:32 am »

Is the turd a dealer?

Yes. Same one I mentioned to you last time. He waltzed off with a pile of kit and left the trash for everyone else. Turns up as a seller but doesn't set up, goes round and empties everything off and that's it.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126523 on: July 17, 2022, 10:25:40 am »
Right junk time. Spent hardly anything!

Firstly Tektronix 465. Cruddy and gunky but after poking all the controls it is just dirt. This should clean up and look fairly good. There's no sign of corrosion on it in the usual places at all and all controls are intact. Usual feet disintegrated. £20

The bag contains as always, a quantity of trash  :-DD

Now a Solartron 7050, not a 7150 as I previously said  :palm:. Seller says it mostly works but has some issues with auto ranging on volts mode. Sure I can work through that. Is almost a 5.5 digit meter. Yes the price ticket is right. That cost me an entire £1.

Another bargain. 12x National Semiconductor and Motorola LM317T's for 50p:

Now this was a really good one. 5x 100K and 5x 10K Spectrol 10 turn pots ... for 50p!

I never have any heatsinks. These are usually 50p each online. I haven't counted them but it's a butt load of TO18's for 50p:

And a book to bounce. This one is a relatively rare one. Paid £2:

So spent £24.50 in total!

What did I not buy:

1. PM3217. I did consider it as it was near mint.
2. Lots of tube boat anchors. Just nope
3. HP 141T mainframe with 110MHz analyser plugin. When I've moved!!!!
4. Probably loads of stuff that Robert would have found  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126524 on: July 17, 2022, 10:38:08 am »
465 should clean up nicely. Wonder if it works. Plug was cut off everything on the stand

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf