Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16928787 times)

flash2b and 174 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #126250 on: July 14, 2022, 01:51:06 am »

>:D >:D >:D <runs for cover>   -Pat

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

mnem
*runs for cover too, in case the projectiles miss Pat*

And it motivated me to put the LED puck light that I'd gotten months ago into the crawlspace so I could steal the ceramic lampholder.   :-DD

-Pat
At least some good will come of that horrible trick we just played on the TEA...  :-DD

mnem
Well-played, Pat... well played... :clap:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 01:56:10 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126251 on: July 14, 2022, 01:57:21 am »
That’s a feature.

Renault's feature list:
  Use model train wires everywhere.
  Use low flexibility (nearly non-stranded) wire on moving parts, like doors.
  Use PVC insulation with plasticisers that will evaporate in very few years.
  Use M$ Windooze style error messages like "on-board electronics failure" (Real error: faulty brake pedal switch)
  Locate fuses at the most inconvenient places (I.e. back lights fuses under the ECU and battery)

Don't ask how I know...

Occasionally, Renault get things right, like the R12---ugly as sin (though better looking than an R16) quite fast, good handling, & very  reliable.
My first one, was an old "roughie" which was about 20 years old, & I had next to no problems with it, apart from a failure of the gearbox, which was still worth fixing.
It was the "Australianised" version, with all Australian Bosch electrics (the distributor points were the same as a Holden 6).

Eventually, after a lot of pretty much trouble free km the gear problem recurred, & I opted to buy another old R12 "roughie", this time a bit later model Station wagon.
It had the original French electrics, which gave a bit of trouble, & was a lot more beat up than the original, but I got quite a few km out of it, before the engine failed.
No worries said I, I've got a good engine in the dead one!

The bastards changed the primary shaft on the gearbox, & a couple of other things, so it wouldn't fit!
Ok, I bought the right engine, fitted it, drove the wagon for a bit longer, then ditched it for an early 1980s Toyota Corona.

The Toyota did what Toyotas do, & gave trouble free motoring for years, till the engine started to smoke.

Becoming a bit older, & disinclined to get all greasy & messy working on a "second car", I in turn ditched that, & looking around, saw a Renault R25.
It was lovely!
Far from the fairly Spartan R12, it had a luxurious interior, auto box, early LCD instruments, a built in stereo , & a synthesised voice warning system.
It behaved itself on my test drive, & I got a bad attack of the "Vroom , Vrooms" & bought it.

Well it was a heap of crap! ----the little chap under the dash would rabbit on about non-existent faults,  the stereo didn't work & the thing which was supposed to tell you how far you could drive on the amount of fuel in your tank "lied in its teeth".
I could live with all this stuff, but when the "Electronic" auto transmission went crazy, that was pretty much it..
I made a few desultory efforts, but my heart wasn't in it!

So from the crap looking but reliable R12 to the gorgeous, but really crap R25 was a sad come down!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126252 on: July 14, 2022, 02:42:14 am »
Hmm, that's odd, because my car also has a turbo and I can honestly say that I have not noticed any lag in it cutting in at all.

Turbodiesels are better in this regard than turbo petrol engines, partially because any diesel has a flatter broader torque curve so there's less of a  low spot and it's  less noticeable, and one also just doesn't expect the throttle response from a diesel that one does from a petrol engine. Plus you're used to a car with a 0-60 time of 10 seconds or longer (I'm not sure exactly which model you have), whereas I'm really talking about sport models more in 6 to 7 second bracket where these things are much more noticeable.
0 to 60 of 10 seconds, where did you get that from, I can assure you that the quoted figure for my car is 8.6 seconds to 62mph. That figure not such a long ago would have been cloud-cuckoo-land for such a large and heavy car, and would have been certainly the level expected of a sports car. It is a testimony to modern engineers that such times today are indeed possible, even without resorting to mnem's sticking a big V8 in the engine bay,

Bah! Humbug!--back in 1973, the Australian Chrysler E49 Charger did 0-100kmh(62mph)in just 6.1 seconds, and that didn't need "no Steenkin' V8", or a turbocharger, just a honking big six with triple 45 DCOE Weber carburettors.
And you could buy the thing off the showroom floor & take Mum for a Sunday drive in it!

or indeed Anders weight reduction techniques that Colin Chapman was so good at (along with chassis tweaks), and still being economical and low emissions. Likewise I'm not sure that a car that measures just 4.8 metres long can be called a land yacht, there are plenty of cars longer and nowhere in the world is  that more true than America. It is true that American cars are nowhere as large as they once used to be, but they are still pretty big when compared with European cars.

PS:-Chrysler had a penchant for recycling model names, so the Aussie Charger shares its name with
the Dodge car of the same name, & very little else.
The Dodge is a bit more urbane, & not quite so "hardcore" as the Oz one! ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 03:55:24 am by vk6zgo »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #126253 on: July 14, 2022, 03:09:21 am »
One sauna day around one Christmas we used 108 kWh.

BTW,
it's not the heating method, it's air.

about 11.84 Euro here in USA, SC. How much you paid?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #126254 on: July 14, 2022, 03:11:22 am »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #126255 on: July 14, 2022, 03:14:03 am »
What size a tinned copper bus bar must have to carry 1KA DC with 30°C T rise?

I can't find the right www page

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126256 on: July 14, 2022, 03:27:49 am »
Wait...what...? Time Machine doesn't compress empty space when it makes a backup?

Fucking seriously...?  :palm:

mnem
 :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #126258 on: July 14, 2022, 05:06:23 am »
You may well be right, istr the last stuff made here was the Vivaro van, and they maybe did announce its imminent demise/offshoring. Bloody scandalous is the murder of our car manufacturing industry.

Most of it actually deserved it.
Ouch, that hurts. We did at one time have an industry that was highly prized, but we got complacent and let the world overtake us instead of making them play catchup.

The problem with being an early leader in something is that you set the standard for yourself on how (and how good) something is going to be made. (My favourite example is the piss-poor mains in the US) In the 1940s, all cars were high-maintenance. Because that was the quality and engineering level expected.  And, in Rolls Royce, who could charge for the fettling, by skilled workers, to make rough parts reliable, it worked.  Not so if you had a bunch of chavs, a tight budget and the idea of building a people's car. 

Then, Japan came along. You could expect a cheap car to run 100000 km without much parts swapping, and only oil changes. Not oil top-ups from all the leaks. No greasing the suspension. No brake jobs until pads were worn out. And so on.

"How can you tell there's oil in a UK-made car? There's a puddle under it."

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126259 on: July 14, 2022, 06:43:00 am »
In Sweden, it's about 45€ and done annually. Mine just passed with no errors. "Empty paper" as the saying goes.

If you have errors, they come in 3 categories, 1,2,3 where 1 is "fix this, or", 2 is "fix this, and prove it within a month", and 3 is "You shall be towed." Shops can take out #2 if they're audited and hold a clearance to do it -- in principle, they are allowed to fix the error and report the fix to the authorities as OK.

Same here in Germany. But it is every two years and it costs aboutdouble. Measuring emissions through OBD-II, if your old stinker is not fitted with it, they are using exhaust gas emission measurements (mostly CO) and you pay more.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #126261 on: July 14, 2022, 08:00:00 am »
UV resin arrived this afternoon, so I've started building up the damaged board mounting bosses in the HP 3476A enclosure.  Don't know how well it will work, but giving it a shot.  The rear ones are mainly being reinforced to bury the stress cracks; the front ones were more damaged.  Half of the right front broke completely away and was been built up by applying layers of resin then curing it; for the left one (next to the display window) I was able to salvage the broken off pieces from the screw in the board; they'd broken free of the base and were split in two on the screw - glued the pieces together, then buried them in more resin applied to the cover.  These will need to be reshaped somewhat with files then drilled out, the right one especially so.  I plan to leave it outside in the sun tomorrow to ensure things are fully cured before moving further in the process.

Left front boss:

Right front boss:

Left rear under UV light:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic, cyclin_al, BILLPOD, m k

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #126262 on: July 14, 2022, 08:14:28 am »
Oh goody, blacklight.....get your best nylon party gear ready, blacklight party at Pats !  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126263 on: July 14, 2022, 08:20:33 am »

Shopping Prime Day... so far, the only thing that really caught my attention was the Kindle for Kids and this: GrubHub free for a year. We don't order takeout often, but especially for my day off, more choices is a nice thing.

https://www.amazon.com/ADATA-Legend-Internal-Gaming-ALEG-840-512GCS/dp/B09H8R24SL

ADATA 500GB/1TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSDs - $35 & $85 with $10 off coupon

https://www.amazon.com/ADATA-SU760-512GB-Internal-ASU760SS-512GT-C/dp/B07TDW86SQ/

ADATA 500GB SATA SSD w/SDRAM cache - $35 with $10 off coupon (good to wake up older laptop or PC; ADATA is known decent "B" brand)

Still looking...

mnem
   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P8BL7CW

Looked in again, found this UNI-T UTi120S IR Camera...

Sub-$200 for a 120x90 IR Resolution model seems too good to be true; that's almost usable resolution for our kind of troubleshooting. What's the gotcha? Something horrible, like it's really inaccurate, or 2 seconds per frame update...?

mnem
*toddles off to do a Time Machine on his MacPro*

It's a rebadged (and re-coloured) HTi HT-04 which you can normally buy for even less. The refresh rate is 6Hz by the way.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126264 on: July 14, 2022, 08:46:40 am »
One sauna day around one Christmas we used 108 kWh.

BTW,
it's not the heating method, it's air.

about 11.84 Euro here in USA, SC. How much you paid?

Probably a bit less, it's some time ago.

Nowadays we have free electricity competition system.
Means that there are two parts, energy and transfer, and some taxes of course.
Also means that only energy part has anything to do with the new system.
Also means that when the system started energy was about 2/3 of the bill, now it's 1/3.

Picture is prices during the time of free competition.
Red is apartment, blue is house without electrical heating and yellow is house with electrical heating.
Including energy, transfer and taxes.

Our house used around 20MWh annually before heat pump, it came 2007.
Year 2006/07 took 19MWh and 2007/08 13MWh, probably new awareness did also its part.
Few years after that the local heat pump market exploded.

About cars and annual inspections.
We have changed the system 2018.
Now it's year 4, 6, 8, 10, +1.
So the free inspection industry since '94 is taking a hit.

Two ways of Finnish business.
New markets will explode, everybody see easy money but many forget that everybody part.
State creates monopolies and then sell them abroad.
And customer, they pay.

E,
total energy.
Add ~5MWh of burned wood.
Today non heated energy is ~5MWh annually.
Water heating is ~3MWh.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 04:12:04 pm by m k »
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #126265 on: July 14, 2022, 08:47:07 am »
Yep. Rocking the 0.99L 3 cyl here  :-DD

Sounds like a V8 if you stick kangaroo juice in it.

I think you've been drinking too much of the kangaroo juice. Nothing sound like a V-8 except a V-8. ;)

I have no problem with folks keeping the heavy metal of yesteryear alive... I'll always be a motorhead, and there still is no replacement for displacement. But this is a different world; these toys of yesteryear have to be treated as toys, not as a way of life if we are to survive as a species. We cannot afford for those lovely beasts to be anybody's "daily driver" any longer.

mnem

Aaaaand this has always been utter nonsense. This is why Colin Chapman's designs blew all the primitive displacement based ones into the weeds.

The only thing adding displacement is good for is going fast in a straight line. For anything else, weight reduction is the real answer. Hence how Mini Coopers could beat 7-litre+ yank tanks in the early days of touring cars.

And it's equally arguable that your line of reasoning is just wankers spankin' it because they can't get their hands on a real car.

Anything you can do to a tiny engine you can do to a big engine and get even more power. Simple physics.

You don't have a right to judge how people like to play, or their choice of toys... don't be a dick, man.

mnem
 :horse:

You're completely missing the point, not sure if deliberately or not, but w/e.

The Point: Weight reduction improves EVERY aspect of a car's performance. Putting a bigger engine in it, or for that matter keeping the same engine and increasing the power by boring/stroking it, ONLY improves (assuming you have the traction and gearing headroom) straight line acceleration and top speed. That is simple physics.

I have not at any point criticised or judged other people's method or means of playing, that's entirely in your head. I put it to you that it is not I that is "being a dick".
That is exactly what you were doing. There is nothing wrong with wanting NOTHING MORE than to go fast in a straight line. There is nothing wrong with wanting to strap your ass to the biggest chunk of horsepower you can muster, and just PUNCH IT.

You were passing judgement on that, and denigrating that form of play. You were being a dick.

EDIT: And speaking of MISSING THE POINT ENTIRELY: My point was explicitly that musclecars are a toy and need to be treated as such. You're the one had to jump on them being huge and wasteful, as if that matters more than a fat heap of dingoes' kidneys when we're talking about toys.

mnem
Try putting a 460 into a VW Beetle some time. The thrill is visceral, and partly because it is dumb and dangerous and puts you out of control.

No, just no. You're reading between the lines what you want to believe, and not what I said. Standard Mnem.

I pointed out the fallacy of the statement "there's no replacement for displacement", nothing more. I think you'll find that people who get their kicks from driving fast in a straight line for around 10 seconds ALSO get serious on the weight reduction, if they are competitive. I have NOTHING against this pastime, even if it's not for me.

As for musclecars being "just toys", this is a stereotypical view normally only seen outside north America, and if I'd said that I would have been in the wrong and could have been justifiably called on it. I know people in the UK that daily drive a muscle car. I bet a lot more do it in the US and Canada.

I also never mentioned them being huge and wasteful, again. you're imagining things that just are not true. Did you not notice I posted a yt link to a CLASSIC MUSCLE CAR when disagreeing with the statement "there's no better sound than a supercharger"?

If you're going to pick a fight with someone, at least do it for something they actually said or did, not just what you imagined they said or did.

I'm sorry; I can't hear you over the sound of you backpedaling... ;)

TL/DR: You picked this fight, and it was over a point you evidently don't even disagree with. I've had my belly full; I'm gonna go sand a fucking table. At least something productive will happen today.  :-DD

mnem
vroom.

You're accusing me of something and I am denying it. Kindly provide EVIDENCE for your accusation, or do not ever speak to me again, and do not comment on my posts ever again. I will pay you the same courtesy.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126266 on: July 14, 2022, 09:04:39 am »
You may well be right, istr the last stuff made here was the Vivaro van, and they maybe did announce its imminent demise/offshoring. Bloody scandalous is the murder of our car manufacturing industry.

Most of it actually deserved it.

Most. I had a Corsa for a couple of weeks as a loaner from the garage a few years back. Horrible car; if you tried to pivot between the accelerator and brake, as recommended by most driving instructors, your foot crashed into the side of the brake and you had to lift another 4-6 inches to get onto the brake - potentially lethal in my opinion. On the other hand I had a Cavalier 2.0 SRi as a company car back in the middle of the 80s and that wasn't bad at all, no real vices, reliable, decent handling compared to most other rep-mobiles, comfortable, nothing special but nothing to really moan about.
Agreed to a point, the Cavalier was not a good car, it was at best a mediocre one that suffered from bad build quality. I had 2 as company cars, the best company cars I've had have been Volkswagen Passats and dare I say it, the outright winner has to be Skoda Superbs, these cars have just performed and performed faultlessly. Previous company cars have been Ford Cortina's, Ford Sierra's, Rover 200. Another great car I had as a company car was an Austin Montego, not only was it a very comfortable car but it had a seriously gutsy engine.

The modern version of the Cavalier is the Insigna and that is IMO a horrible little shitbox. I had a hire car once while mine was in for accident repair and the hire car was 2 weeks old, and it creaked and squeaked, moaned and groaned like a 20 year old one, horrible thing.

Little? I don't know what gen your Superb is, but if it's a gen 2 (2008-2015) and therefore more or less contemporary with my Insignia (2010), it's pretty much the same size... a big old barge for me, though I suppose compared to the mode du jour it's maybe slightly smaller than average.

As for squeaks and creaks, I guess you got unlucky? Mine has 190k on the clock, and it's as tight and quiet as you'd expect from a new car.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126267 on: July 14, 2022, 09:06:56 am »
The car I just mentioned is French  :-DD (Citroen)

Got a Citroen as a replacement car after an accident in winter 2010. It had a full metal gear shift knob and it felt it was bound to permafrost through a heat pipe...

Citroen C5 v1 was burning 50A radiator fan fuse.
Solution was to put cabinet heating and blow to max, pretty nice when bright sunny day was +30C.
The cause was that the slow fan was broken and high fan from zero was occasionally too much.

Cabinet heating was melting its fuse but it didn't blow, I lifted it up so it didn't burn itself through the machine.
The heater was also occasionally stopping its operation, if cold enough.
(in case it's unknown, you can't drive without enough warm air to inside of the windshield when outside is cold enough)
The cause there was a bad connection at the heater end and not the actual broken heater.
The solution was bulkier male connectors from thick enough wires from solid electric cable.
Typical the f you do repair of an old car, and the fuse continued melting anyway, but voltage at the end was not dropping anymore.
No idea where the warmth would have gone with bigger fuse.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126268 on: July 14, 2022, 09:17:20 am »
HP 54600 series.

Since picture data goes through 74LS194 with four lines,
I'd check how those values really are.
(page 21/125 of xDevs schematics)

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126269 on: July 14, 2022, 10:58:17 am »

I think you've been drinking too much of the kangaroo juice. Nothing sound like a V-8 except a V-8. ;)

I have no problem with folks keeping the heavy metal of yesteryear alive... I'll always be a motorhead, and there still is no replacement for displacement. But this is a different world; these toys of yesteryear have to be treated as toys, not as a way of life if we are to survive as a species. We cannot afford for those lovely beasts to be anybody's "daily driver" any longer.

mnem

Aaaaand this has always been utter nonsense. This is why Colin Chapman's designs blew all the primitive displacement based ones into the weeds.

The only thing adding displacement is good for is going fast in a straight line. For anything else, weight reduction is the real answer. Hence how Mini Coopers could beat 7-litre+ yank tanks in the early days of touring cars.

And it's equally arguable that your line of reasoning is just wankers spankin' it because they can't get their hands on a real car.

Anything you can do to a tiny engine you can do to a big engine and get even more power. Simple physics.

You don't have a right to judge how people like to play, or their choice of toys... don't be a dick, man.

mnem

The Point: Weight reduction improves EVERY aspect of a car's performance. Putting a bigger engine in it, or for that matter keeping the same engine and increasing the power by boring/stroking it, ONLY improves (assuming you have the traction and gearing headroom) straight line acceleration and top speed. That is simple physics.

I have not at any point criticised or judged other people's method or means of playing, that's entirely in your head. I put it to you that it is not I that is "being a dick".
That is exactly what you were doing. There is nothing wrong with wanting NOTHING MORE than to go fast in a straight line. There is nothing wrong with wanting to strap your ass to the biggest chunk of horsepower you can muster, and just PUNCH IT.

You were passing judgement on that, and denigrating that form of play. You were being a dick.

EDIT: And speaking of MISSING THE POINT ENTIRELY: My point was explicitly that musclecars are a toy and need to be treated as such. You're the one had to jump on them being huge and wasteful, as if that matters more than a fat heap of dingoes' kidneys when we're talking about toys.

mnem
Try putting a 460 into a VW Beetle some time. The thrill is visceral, and partly because it is dumb and dangerous and puts you out of control.

No, just no. You're reading between the lines what you want to believe, and not what I said. Standard Mnem.

I pointed out the fallacy of the statement "there's no replacement for displacement", nothing more. I think you'll find that people who get their kicks from driving fast in a straight line for around 10 seconds ALSO get serious on the weight reduction, if they are competitive. I have NOTHING against this pastime, even if it's not for me.

As for musclecars being "just toys", this is a stereotypical view normally only seen outside north America, and if I'd said that I would have been in the wrong and could have been justifiably called on it. I know people in the UK that daily drive a muscle car. I bet a lot more do it in the US and Canada.

I also never mentioned them being huge and wasteful, again. you're imagining things that just are not true. Did you not notice I posted a yt link to a CLASSIC MUSCLE CAR when disagreeing with the statement "there's no better sound than a supercharger"?

If you're going to pick a fight with someone, at least do it for something they actually said or did, not just what you imagined they said or did.

TL/DR: You picked this fight, and it was over a point you evidently don't even disagree with. I've had my belly full; I'm gonna go sand a fucking table. At least something productive will happen today.  :-DD

mnem
vroom.

You're accusing me of something and I am denying it. Kindly provide EVIDENCE for your accusation, or do not ever speak to me again, and do not comment on my posts ever again. I will pay you the same courtesy.

FFS man... it's all right there. All you have to do is take a few steps back and it's pretty obvious how what you said can be taken in a confrontational tone; this time that's what happened.

It's also pretty obvious that what started out as a mild bit of preaching about how wasteful people are, (actual intent was more about how hard we fight to protect our "right" to be wasteful ::)) has turned into a senseless row   completely out of misunderstanding.

Since one of us has to be the first to act like an adult about this, I'm going to go sit in the time-out corner for 10 minutes. I suggest you find a different corner and do the same.

Jeebus.

mnem

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126270 on: July 14, 2022, 11:07:21 am »
TEA

Anyone in UK @BD139 want a thermal TRMS meter?
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403774543294

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126271 on: July 14, 2022, 11:11:20 am »
Already seen it. At that price, no  :-DD

I am after a decent 3400A but the other seller who had one didn’t want to shift it at the price I wanted to pay. I can afford to wait

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, factory

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126272 on: July 14, 2022, 11:21:06 am »

mnem

mnem

mnem

mnem
vroom.

FFS man... it's all right there. All you have to do is take a few steps back and it's pretty obvious how what you said can be taken in a confrontational tone; this time that's what happened.

It's also pretty obvious that what started out as a mild bit of preaching about how wasteful people are, (actual intent was more about how hard we fight to protect our "right" to be wasteful ::)) has turned into a senseless row   completely out of misunderstanding.

Since one of us has to be the first to act like an adult about this, I'm going to go sit in the time-out corner for 10 minutes. I suggest you find a different corner and do the same.

Jeebus.

mnem

Not good enough. "it's all right there" means nothing. Be specific.

From what I can guess, you are trying to make my statement that "The only thing adding displacement is good for is going fast in a straight line" to mean "drag racing is stupid and wasteful". Well, I did not say or imply that, at least not by any reasonable metric, and it is not nor has ever been my view. You added two and two and got the national debt of Uruguay.

In the context of the rest of my post it should be clear to anyone that this is a statement of engineering fact, no more and no less. Which it is, unquestionably.

To be absolutely clear, I will not sit idly and quietly by while I am falsely accused of something. You have failed to even attempt to show any actual evidence, so I can only surmise that you know you are in the wrong but don't want to admit it.
If it were a simple matter of opinion or an error in fact, I would be happy to let the matter lie, and move on. However I will NOT be traduced unfairly and without response. How dare you falsely accuse me of being childish, and throwing insults, when all the while doing that very thing.

Since it apparently your position to refuse responsibility for your mistakes and to continue to malign my character and intent, you may consider my promise to ignore your existence to be in effect from this moment onwards.

Apologies to other users of this thread for the unedited quotes, but I wanted to make sure the context of what has been said by all parties to be plain and unbiased.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #126273 on: July 14, 2022, 11:56:14 am »
I keep getting distracted... I only really logged on to post that the seller of the bench grinder (assetclear) issued a pretty much instant full refund and apology without ebay getting involved.

I also get to keep the grinder, though it'll for sure not be getting used as such, at least on the right hand stub. Maybe a polishing wheel on that side, and maybe I can find a decent stone for the left hand stub, which does run true but the stones that came with are both warped.

Get a wire wheel for it and you can thank me later as you'll end up using it more than if it had just stones on it.

This.  I took the grinding wheels off my marketplace $20 find and put a polishing wheel on one side and a fine wire wheel on the other.  I have it close to a year and have yet to find a need to put back the stones and true them up.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126274 on: July 14, 2022, 12:10:30 pm »
Not good enough. "it's all right there" means nothing. Be specific.

From what I can guess, you are trying to make my statement that "The only thing adding displacement is good for is going fast in a straight line" to mean "drag racing is stupid and wasteful". Well, I did not say or imply that, at least not by any reasonable metric, and it is not nor has ever been my view. You added two and two and got the national debt of Uruguay.

In the context of the rest of my post it should be clear to anyone that this is a statement of engineering fact, no more and no less. Which it is, unquestionably.

To be absolutely clear, I will not sit idly and quietly by while I am falsely accused of something. You have failed to even attempt to show any actual evidence, so I can only surmise that you know you are in the wrong but don't want to admit it.
If it were a simple matter of opinion or an error in fact, I would be happy to let the matter lie, and move on. However I will NOT be traduced unfairly and without response. How dare you falsely accuse me of being childish, and throwing insults, when all the while doing that very thing.

Since it apparently your position to refuse responsibility for your mistakes and to continue to malign my character and intent, you may consider my promise to ignore your existence to be in effect from this moment onwards.

Apologies to other users of this thread for the unedited quotes, but I wanted to make sure the context of what has been said by all parties to be plain and unbiased.

No. I'm done with this.

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf