Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18115231 times)

Robert763, VK5RC and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #125975 on: July 11, 2022, 02:37:25 pm »
Hey BD, I think I have found the ultimate mode of transport for you, it gives you a bike, a boat, a camper and it even has space for picking up your local TE purchases and shopping, and it's electric, what do you all think?

https://betriton.com/   https://youtu.be/bHpCEUSWt7Q

Hmm. I think somebody got carried away with their 3D printer ...   
Been done, a couple years ago:

https://libredd.it/r/3Dprinting/comments/hdmgj5/rate_my_benchy/

mnem
maybe that's where the bike-boat dingus got the idea...? :-//
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 02:41:11 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125976 on: July 11, 2022, 02:44:08 pm »

On a more serious note. As someone who did quite a lot of messing about in boats in his youth, to me that instinctively looks very top heavy. My guess is if you took that out on anything choppier than a millpond, or leant overboard too far, that thing would be upside down in the blink of an eye.  :scared:
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125977 on: July 11, 2022, 02:48:41 pm »
In other news, from the thermometer outside my front window:

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #125978 on: July 11, 2022, 02:51:54 pm »
Hey BD, I think I have found the ultimate mode of transport for you, it gives you a bike, a boat, a camper and it even has space for picking up your local TE purchases and shopping, and it's electric, what do you all think?

https://betriton.com/

So basically they made a shit bike, a shit boat and a shit camper in one unit  :-DD

That was always one problem with cars that fly. The other is to meet the regulations for both.

The problem with cars that fly is that idiots that drive are bad enough. Flying idiots would be even worse.

Edit: although I think flying idiots is better than self driving cars.

But when you could have improved in the air, friends tell you and you listen.

My flying has been more along the lines of "Oooh look, that aircraft is doing something interesting; I'll toddle over and play along with them". Other times it has been "oh, he is barrelling upwards towards me; I'll get out of his way then go back and see if I can copy him".

This illustrates an extreme "traffic jam". The photographer thinks there were 43 aircraft, but didn't have time to count twice.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #125979 on: July 11, 2022, 02:53:53 pm »
The problem with cars that fly is that idiots that drive are bad enough. Flying idiots would be even worse.

I think you got it right the first time around.  I would be far more fearful of flying idiots! :scared:

They tend to be self-limiting, without involving other people.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125980 on: July 11, 2022, 02:55:51 pm »

The Signal Path for example.

If I had half his knowledge I'd be dangerous.  :-DD

You're dangerous enough without it.  >:D

mnem
*Thanks Ifni for small blessings*
:-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125981 on: July 11, 2022, 02:58:49 pm »
In other news, from the thermometer outside my front window:

As low as 20 overnight, geez, I never noticed, that we had the cooling fan all night and slept on top of the bed, it was that sticky here  :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125982 on: July 11, 2022, 03:03:18 pm »
Not that bothered by it yet  :-//

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125983 on: July 11, 2022, 03:18:40 pm »

https://betriton.com/

So basically they made a shit bike, a shit boat and a shit camper in one unit  :-DD

That was always one problem with cars that fly. The other is to meet the regulations for both.

But when you could have improved in the air, friends tell you and you listen.

My flying has been more along the lines of "Oooh look, that aircraft is doing something interesting; I'll toddle over and play along with them". Other times it has been "oh, he is barrelling upwards towards me; I'll get out of his way then go back and see if I can copy him".

This illustrates an extreme "traffic jam". The photographer thinks there were 43 aircraft, but didn't have time to count twice.

Ooh, that looks like an accident waiting to happen, just how the hell do you recover that number of craft quickly, when the thermal runs out, you're all going to be jockeying for that landing slot before you pile in nose first in the grass.

Now this is what you call real gliding, must have stones made of steel to sit on this thing  :-DD :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125984 on: July 11, 2022, 03:24:33 pm »
After being at home all day waiting for someone to start working on the bathroom refit, 2 plasters turned up and then after 30 minutes fecked off again, all done. I go and look at their handiwork and almost run after them to get them to do a better job. It was as rough as a badgers arsehole, then it dawned me, I'm stupid, it was meant to be rough to give the tilers something to work with  :palm: :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #125985 on: July 11, 2022, 03:27:09 pm »

On a more serious note. As someone who did quite a lot of messing about in boats in his youth, to me that instinctively looks very top heavy. My guess is if you took that out on anything choppier than a millpond, or leant overboard too far, that thing would be upside down in the blink of an eye.  :scared:

Yeah, that's why the wheels flip out a la James Bond's TR7 Lotus British rustbox. Too bad these pontoons don't self-deploy like the TR-7's diving planes; I can't see any way to flip up the wheels and attach them without actually standing in the water to do it. The boat needs to be floating, or up on trailer jacks like in the video.   

EDIT:   I bet they make a point of telling you aboot the oars because you're gonna need them.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:58:22 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #125986 on: July 11, 2022, 03:30:22 pm »

Come to my house - it'll be 40.5 C (105 F) outside today.  :P
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125987 on: July 11, 2022, 03:50:39 pm »
... In our case we have anti affinity measures so we deploy at least ...

Argh, one of my pet hates there, computer nerdlings with a poor grasp of English expropriating an inappropriate word as a label for something and thereby forcing everybody else to mangle the language to use it.

Because some semi-literate nerk has misused "affinity" (which properly express the idea of "penchant for", "liking for", "preference for" or "predilection towards") you're forced to abuse English and create a clumsy neologism "anti-affinity" when there are perfectly good antonyms for "affinity" in existence - "aversion", "antipathy" "dislike" - but using them immediately exposes the weakness of using "affinity" to mean "required to associate itself with instances using a particular computer resource" or in the anti- case "required to disassociate itself from instances using a particular computer resource".

And then the bastards go and add injury to insults to the language by not even making it work properly.

I think it's fair to overload (there's another one!) terms if there is suitable context with it. But yes it feels dirty writing anti-affinity. But the thing with languages is that they are shaped by usage rather than syntax or form and we're stuck with whatever happens. If I have to stick my badungadunga in my floopnickel to get my frangwallop done then as long as the audience understands me I'm not bothered.

However it turns out that kubernetes doesn’t see the state change where hypervisor nodes disappear as something [which should cause it to be]  rebalancing load. It just doesn’t do anything and 1/3 of your capacity goes offline. And thus we learn the failure modes of a cluster platform written by amateurs on crack backed with marketoids.

Moral of the story, never trust people who treat language in an ugly way to be elegant or correct in implementing anything. The more buzzwords and neologisms, the less likely it is to work.

Oh it's simpler than that. It's just built by people with no experience of reliable distributed systems.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125988 on: July 11, 2022, 03:51:36 pm »

Um no thanks. 32 here and that's plenty. But no air con here at all!

I've always said that America is so fucked if there's an energy crisis. The moment there is no air con I'm buying popcorn for the shit show.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125989 on: July 11, 2022, 03:55:10 pm »

I've always said that America is so fucked if there's an energy crisis. The moment there is no air con I'm buying popcorn for the shit show.
Man, that is going to be a hell of a lot of popcorn :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125990 on: July 11, 2022, 03:59:41 pm »
And here I am still asking again myself why I am not buying a NanoVNA in the next 10 minutes

In my case it's because it's difficult to find one that isn't a shitty Chinese low ball version. They have TERRIBLE supply chain and cloning issues and half the official resellers are shipping junk ones out. The fake ones used to fail cal but they now load in firmware which ignores that cal step  :palm: :palm: :palm:.

I bought directly from Zeenko on aliexpress and had a good experience. This store is related to Hugen (Creator of some models of the NanoVNA) and DiSLord is making the firmwares.

https://zeenko.aliexpress.com/store/5800447

You should get a LiteVNA, goes up to 6GHz and can be extended to 8GHz (with degraded performances).

I got one recently but didn't really had the time to play with it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 04:07:37 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #125991 on: July 11, 2022, 04:08:55 pm »
Back into TE mode. Started pulling the cans on the 465B. The capacitors to be replaced are C4439, C4429, C4521, C4531, C4419.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125992 on: July 11, 2022, 04:10:58 pm »

Hahaha you would melt like a snowman if you stepped outside here.  ;D
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #125993 on: July 11, 2022, 04:13:56 pm »

9:00AM  and 20°C here; this year I didn't started the aircon yet. I think now I understand why is called British Columbia  :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125994 on: July 11, 2022, 04:19:32 pm »

Hahaha you would melt like a snowman if you stepped outside here.  ;D

TBF I spent four days at a non aircon accommodation block (basically low grade motel) at Edwards AFB once when it was 40 oC and I didn't melt. I'm a lot less of a lard ass now so might survive still  :-DD.  Oh and Taco Bell every night  :scared:

That was a depressing week. My only trip to the US to date  :(

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125995 on: July 11, 2022, 04:24:20 pm »
TBF I spent four days at a non aircon accommodation block (basically low grade motel) at Edwards AFB once when it was 40 oC and I didn't melt. I'm a lot less of a lard ass now so might survive still  :-DD.  Oh and Taco Bell every night  :scared:

Ok dumb question but I really don't know - do you all need AC at all over there at any time of the year?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #125996 on: July 11, 2022, 04:28:23 pm »
If I didn't have A/C I would be 100x more grouchy than I normally am.  :P :-DD

Edit, haters be hating.  >:D

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 04:36:04 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125997 on: July 11, 2022, 04:40:33 pm »

Ok dumb question but I really don't know - do you all need AC at all over there at any time of the year?

Nope.

You get it in some offices and some public transport and that’s about it.

We shipped all the pussies to the other side of the pond  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125998 on: July 11, 2022, 04:41:07 pm »

Yeah, that's why the wheels flip out a la James Bond's TR7.

(1) That's even worse, move more weight UP, and remove what little keel like effect the wheels would have provided.
(2) That was NOT a TR7.

THIS is a TR7:

You've forced me, to force you, to use up your stock of eye-bleach.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125999 on: July 11, 2022, 04:41:29 pm »
If I didn't have A/C I would be 100x more grouchy than I normally am.  :P :-DD

Edit, haters be hating.  >:D

Bloody hell. That level of grouch might cause a singularity  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, cyclin_al, Zoli

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf