Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17743595 times)

ddrl46, Vince and 74 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #125900 on: July 10, 2022, 08:05:33 pm »
Penis, sweetbreads and gristle.

The latter two are definitely present in these

The former seem to feature in here  :o

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster, wolfy007, ch_scr, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #125901 on: July 10, 2022, 08:13:48 pm »
Another YouTube channel I just found. Test gear tear downs. Very very good ones

https://youtube.com/user/alfa49alfa

Oh, just what I needed. Another time sink. NOT
That's fine, just watch the bits of interest, there will be something I'm sure.

Takes too long to find out. I can speedread at least 10* faster than people can speak. The time taken to load and skip thorugh a video and adverts is intolerable for "wonder if there's anythimg interesting".
What are these things you call "adverts?" Just get your self an adblocker for the computer and you save that time back.  :-DD

I thought google's yootoob adverts were difficult to avoid.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125902 on: July 10, 2022, 08:16:52 pm »

Takes too long to find out. I can speedread at least 10* faster than people can speak. The time taken to load and skip thorugh a video and adverts is intolerable for "wonder if there's anythimg interesting".
What are these things you call "adverts?" Just get your self an adblocker for the computer and you save that time back.  :-DD

You definitely don't want to funding this guy's TE murder activities with ad-revenue, RIP HP 212A.

David

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125903 on: July 10, 2022, 08:20:39 pm »

Automation wins here. My not so simple automation uses Shortcuts (automation tool) on the Mac and does this:

1. Checks hourly for new youtube videos from channels I have a list of interest in.
2. Enumerates all the new videos
3. Spawns youtube-dl and downloads them to a holding folder.
4. Adds the videos to my Apple photos library which is automatically synced to my phone and iPad and mac.
5. Adds a task to my reminders queue to watch it or discard it.

I get ad-free fully offline videos on any device I happen to have without having to pay YT anything. Perfect for public transport and pooping  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster, factory, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125904 on: July 10, 2022, 08:21:23 pm »

You definitely don't want to funding this guy's TE murder activities with ad-revenue, RIP HP 212A.

David

Oh hell we should group shame that absolute bastard. Unsubscribed!!!

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #125905 on: July 10, 2022, 08:26:30 pm »
85% Ground Beef... I'm worried, what's the other 15% made up of

The people sleep better when they don't know how laws and sausages are made.  (Otto von Bismarck)
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #125906 on: July 10, 2022, 09:50:23 pm »

Automation wins here. My not so simple automation uses Shortcuts (automation tool) on the Mac and does this:

1. Checks hourly for new youtube videos from channels I have a list of interest in.
2. Enumerates all the new videos
3. Spawns youtube-dl and downloads them to a holding folder.
4. Adds the videos to my Apple photos library which is automatically synced to my phone and iPad and mac.
5. Adds a task to my reminders queue to watch it or discard it.

I get ad-free fully offline videos on any device I happen to have without having to pay YT anything. Perfect for public transport and pooping  :-DD

That's probably a reasonable use of "dead time" on public transport, a problem I don't have.

But it still leaves the 60wpm (speech) vs 1000wpm (text) issue, and can't do anything about "talking heads" that don't need video in the first place.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #125907 on: July 10, 2022, 10:30:22 pm »

David

Oh hell we should group shame that absolute bastard. Unsubscribed!!!
That's our very own oz2cpu
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?u=620870
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #125908 on: July 10, 2022, 10:47:41 pm »
That hp 212A looked absolutely pristine and he apparently made no attempt to bring it up. Blasphemy.

And then he becomes a tube rapist right on camera. Some people have no shame. :palm:

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #125909 on: July 10, 2022, 11:06:53 pm »
That hp 212A looked absolutely pristine and he apparently made no attempt to bring it up. Blasphemy.

And then he becomes a tube rapist right on camera. Some people have no shame. :palm:

If he owns it it's his right to run over it with a steam roller if he wishes.  :P
You might think the guy knows not what he's doing however if you check his profile he's suitably qualified and experienced to make decisions about any HW in his ownership.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #125910 on: July 10, 2022, 11:28:45 pm »

If he owns it it's his right to run over it with a steam roller if he wishes.  :P
You might think the guy knows not what he's doing however if you check his profile he's suitably qualified and experienced to make decisions about any HW in his ownership.

Can I run over him with a steam roller?  :-DD

Seriously, yes....he has every right to do with the equipment as he pleases. I often make that same decision. Fix it or junk it? But my "junk it" is almost always after there's an attempt to fix it. And certainly not something as pristine as that hp was.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125911 on: July 10, 2022, 11:47:41 pm »
Fugliest scope I've ever seen:

Amazon £159. That's £158 too much  :popcorn:
Ouch. I guess its like in nature, where the most poisonous creatures have the flashiest colours?

Back in the mid '90s, Tektronix had a brain fart & fielded a "lolly coloured" DSO----I can see the thing in my mind's eye, but can't recall the model number.
They must have taken their medication after that, as the next model I saw was back to staid old beige or blue.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #125912 on: July 11, 2022, 12:04:11 am »
Bourns sell them but be prepared to pay for ‘em  :-DD

Sadly they don't, at least in the spec I require. Oh well, back to the drawing board, as it were...

Can you redesign so the pot is part of a divider network, easing the need for that absolute value and stability? :-//

mnem
 :-/O

Hang on, I'll just give Sony a call.

*imaginary phone conversation*

Apparently Sony won't redesign the PS4 controller to make it easier to mod them with superior parts. Said something about not letting people make their equipment more durable as it'll dent their revenue stream...

I'll just keep dosing mine with WD40 every few months.

If you're going to bother modding, why would you ever use a pot? Once you get your hands on a Hall-effect gimbal you'll never go back. I doubt you'll want to go aftermarket/other brands, so the popular one already HE-equipped prolly won't interest you:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QJN8ZD9

Myself, I have a harem of the best controller ever made, so pretty much a non-issue until they're so worn out they fall apart: the 2nd gen XBox360 controller. Of course, no stoopit touchpad, so not user-friendly for you on PS4.  :-//

EDIT: That said; the pot in most gimbals is just a voltage divider, so unless it's using one of the "speshul" 40-60° resistor tracks like some RC transmitters, you should be able to replace a 500Ω pot with a more common 1KΩ pot with very little trouble.

Cheers,

mnem
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 12:23:44 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #125913 on: July 11, 2022, 12:22:55 am »
Well, I finally got one! The fabled true 50ohm 1% Tektronix '012-0482-00' coax cable for my SG503.  ;D
Courtesy of a seller in Kyiv, Ukraine (Yep, apparently the Ukraine postal service is making a point of still running!)
Found it for the cheapest price I've seen so far (but still too much, considering it's just a coax cable...), and still new in bag!  :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, wolfy007, ch_scr, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #125914 on: July 11, 2022, 12:49:05 am »
Fugliest scope I've ever seen:      Amazon £159. That's £158 too much  :popcorn:
Ouch. I guess its like in nature, where the most poisonous creatures have the flashiest colours?

Back in the mid '90s, Tektronix had a brain fart & fielded a "lolly coloured" DSO----I can see the thing in my mind's eye, but can't recall the model number.   They must have taken their medication after that, as the next model I saw was back to staid old beige or blue.

mnem
*couch tuber time widda kids*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #125915 on: July 11, 2022, 01:00:26 am »

Thanks for the warning.   :wtf:

Further reason not to watch and give it another boost on the view counter.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125916 on: July 11, 2022, 03:51:03 am »
Well some crazy here from Royal Mail. So on 1st July I ordered that Tek IC. Still no show despite entering the postal system almost immediately. But wait, a Royal Mail van turns up this Sunday afternoon, an unheard of thing, and drops off something which I ordered on Friday?!?!?!?  :palm:

:-DD  You need to read the Clifford D Simak short story "Leg Forst". It will explain why this happens...

Does anyone know of a supply of 11mm x 2.5mm vertical mount, single turn, linear, sealed (MIL-spec pref), 500Ω pots? I may need quite a few.

Side adjust, I presume? Need a specific footprint? (triangular or inline)

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125917 on: July 11, 2022, 04:00:58 am »

Back in the mid '90s, Tektronix had a brain fart & fielded a "lolly coloured" DSO----I can see the thing in my mind's eye, but can't recall the model number.
They must have taken their medication after that, as the next model I saw was back to staid old beige or blue.

IS the 222PS what you had in mind? Although it is supposed to be safety yellow, not 'lolly coloured'!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #125918 on: July 11, 2022, 04:10:56 am »
So there I was about to go and clean the HP 400E up and AWS just lost an availability zone in London. Fun fun fun there goes my evening :(

At least that's why PRTG freaked out.

Well we are on a discovery lesson of how much stuff didn’t have anti affinity configuration at the moment. Apparently it was an air con failure. And we’re at the start of a heat wave here so might be interesting over the next week or so  :popcorn:

"Surely they're called Availability zones because they are always available" <- Every optimist.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125919 on: July 11, 2022, 04:20:38 am »

I resent this comment! We come in decent black and white or a dark grey with only a very faint iridescence.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #125920 on: July 11, 2022, 04:26:57 am »
TBH the 15% fat stuff cooks better. You can drain off the excess if you don't want it. Not that I eat it any more anyway.

When I want really good hamburgers, I buy chuck in whole pieces, cut it in cubes and push it through the meat grinder. The result, as bd139 wrote,  cooks better, and is much tastier.

On the subject of fat in cooking, in this country where I am at the moment, they fry their pommes frites in duck fat. Sometimes. And, when something is made with duck fat, you pay attention, because it is going to be very good.

But the star of the show was the small deep fried fish far right in the pic. Veeery tasty.  And, the Atlantic at La Rochelle was warm enough to bathe in.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125921 on: July 11, 2022, 05:48:32 am »

Can I run over him with a steam roller?  :-DD

Seriously, yes....he has every right to do with the equipment as he pleases. I often make that same decision. Fix it or junk it? But my "junk it" is almost always after there's an attempt to fix it. And certainly not something as pristine as that hp was.

It pretty much all looked pristine, the three I watched all worked too, making me think they all came from a deceased collector.
First impressions of this channel, it's like the complete opposite of Mr Carlson, where instead of repair, the working historic TE gets turned in bits.
I suspect most of the nice stuff, gets treated the same way by others too, only the stuff that looks to have been stored in the sea, gets on ePay.

David
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 05:53:54 am by factory »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #125922 on: July 11, 2022, 06:44:07 am »
Bourns sell them but be prepared to pay for ‘em  :-DD

Sadly they don't, at least in the spec I require. Oh well, back to the drawing board, as it were...

Can you redesign so the pot is part of a divider network, easing the need for that absolute value and stability? :-//

mnem

Hang on, I'll just give Sony a call.

*imaginary phone conversation*

Apparently Sony won't redesign the PS4 controller to make it easier to mod them with superior parts. Said something about not letting people make their equipment more durable as it'll dent their revenue stream...

I'll just keep dosing mine with WD40 every few months.

If you're going to bother modding, why would you ever use a pot? Once you get your hands on a Hall-effect gimbal you'll never go back. I doubt you'll want to go aftermarket/other brands, so the popular one already HE-equipped prolly won't interest you:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QJN8ZD9

Myself, I have a harem of the best controller ever made, so pretty much a non-issue until they're so worn out they fall apart: the 2nd gen XBox360 controller. Of course, no stoopit touchpad, so not user-friendly for you on PS4.  :-//

EDIT: That said; the pot in most gimbals is just a voltage divider, so unless it's using one of the "speshul" 40-60° resistor tracks like some RC transmitters, you should be able to replace a 500Ω pot with a more common 1KΩ pot with very little trouble.

Cheers,

mnem

Modding an existing because 3rd party sticks are never right with the analogue. WD40 is fine, the issue is they used OPEN FRAME pots in a device that is exposed to huge amounts of salt-bearing water vapour. This did not become a serious issue until ~the last two generations of console, and it's not just Sony. In fact Nintendo were the first to come under fire, but they've all cheaped out on parts this last decade, so it's an across the board problem.

Well some crazy here from Royal Mail. So on 1st July I ordered that Tek IC. Still no show despite entering the postal system almost immediately. But wait, a Royal Mail van turns up this Sunday afternoon, an unheard of thing, and drops off something which I ordered on Friday?!?!?!?  :palm:

:-DD  You need to read the Clifford D Simak short story "Leg Forst". It will explain why this happens...

Does anyone know of a supply of 11mm x 2.5mm vertical mount, single turn, linear, sealed (MIL-spec pref), 500Ω pots? I may need quite a few.

Side adjust, I presume? Need a specific footprint? (triangular or inline)

Inline, hard to do anything else with a 2.5mm thick part! The physical dimensions are the hard part to match, the 11mm square per side obviously matters as it needs to align with the pivot bar. The depth is less critical but too thick and the leads won't align and/or it won't fit within the clamshell.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #125923 on: July 11, 2022, 06:51:55 am »
Well, I finally got one! The fabled true 50ohm 1% Tektronix '012-0482-00' coax cable for my SG503.  ;D
Courtesy of a seller in Kyiv, Ukraine (Yep, apparently the Ukraine postal service is making a point of still running!)
Found it for the cheapest price I've seen so far (but still too much, considering it's just a coax cable...), and still new in bag!  :D

Congrats! I ordered mine from the US and it wasn't very cheap (150 bucks IIRC). Damn you, Zenwizard Studios... you got me into this!   :-DD
Integral piece of calibration equipment.

1976 catalog price for this cable was like $16 ;D  (approx. $82 in 2022)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:55:42 am by DH7DN »
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125924 on: July 11, 2022, 06:54:00 am »
So there I was about to go and clean the HP 400E up and AWS just lost an availability zone in London. Fun fun fun there goes my evening :(

At least that's why PRTG freaked out.

Well we are on a discovery lesson of how much stuff didn’t have anti affinity configuration at the moment. Apparently it was an air con failure. And we’re at the start of a heat wave here so might be interesting over the next week or so  :popcorn:

"Surely they're called Availability zones because they are always available" <- Every optimist.

Hahaha if only.

The only guarantee is that there are three availability zones. Each availability zone is a physical data centre so technically if one goes up in flames you have two left. Assuming you didn’t stick all your workloads in one of them. In our case we have anti affinity measures so we deploy at least one container to each availability zone for a service so there are three physical locations before the system will go down. 

However it turns out that kubernetes doesn’t see the state change where hypervisor nodes disappear as something it should be rebalancing load. It just doesn’t do anything and 1/3 of your capacity goes offline. And thus we learn the failure modes of a cluster platform written by amateurs on crack backed with marketoids.

To note AWS really did a good job of this. If you used all their native stuff and EC2 it would have handled it 100% transparently.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf