Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16944267 times)

Neepa, Vince and 98 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #125725 on: July 08, 2022, 03:53:41 pm »
It's not just Rogers. We are getting problems with L3 in the UK. Lost multiple routes to one DC. I haven't looked into it yet as that's not my hat at the moment but I bet there's some peering or BGP shit going down.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #125726 on: July 08, 2022, 03:55:50 pm »
That would've taken the entire dwagon household down when we were up there; ISP and mobiles. Might have been able to make phone calls roaming on BELL but not likely, especially if there were network congestion, which of course there would be.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125727 on: July 08, 2022, 03:58:50 pm »
It's not just Rogers. We are getting problems with L3 in the UK. Lost multiple routes to one DC. I haven't looked into it yet as that's not my hat at the moment but I bet there's some peering or BGP shit going down.

So border patrol is detaining packets, just like they did the dwagon family...?  :o

harsh.

mnem
I bet they're rude to them too. >:(
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline Atomillo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #125728 on: July 08, 2022, 04:08:21 pm »
Just arrived!!

Everything in mint condition just as advertised. The packaging was next level. The oscilloscope was packaged in it's own box (inside the bigger one that contained the probes and power supply), filled to the brim with protective wrapping. The seller took care to make sure everything arrived safely. It was also pretty quick: most of the time was the package stuck in spanish customs. I wish all my adventures in TEA ended as well as this one!

Unfortunately I'm not gonna have time to play much with them. In a few days I'm going to a small rural, quite isolated rural village to visit family. Nothing but mountains, olives and me trying to advance a little bit my last year degree project.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125729 on: July 08, 2022, 04:16:14 pm »
Congratulations. Glad to see it went to a good home  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Atomillo

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125730 on: July 08, 2022, 04:34:27 pm »

And probably for the usual reason, some Dilbert announces a route(s) they shouldn't, and some other Muppets accept the route(s) and obey them. It was only last century that 2 mitigations for this were proposed, which can even be used synergistically to minimise the issue further, and still there are people who don't make use of them.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125731 on: July 08, 2022, 04:39:42 pm »
OK, OK, what is this L3 and BGP shit you're speaking of  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125732 on: July 08, 2022, 04:53:04 pm »
OK, OK, what is this L3 and BGP shit you're speaking of  :-DD

L3 aka Level 3 - a big international ISP primarily focused on selling transit to other ISPs.
BGP - Border Gateway Protocol - an inter-ISP routing protocol used between ISPs to indicate to each other what routes they have to different prefixes in the IP address space.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125733 on: July 08, 2022, 05:00:34 pm »
Our shit turned out to be unrelated. Config fuck up  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125734 on: July 08, 2022, 05:01:34 pm »
Didn't see that post. That's terrible. eBay would probably side with you anyway on this. Literally if the return is open and it's received and the label is registered then they will have a hard job disputing the return even if you shit on it before you send it back.

I'll admit I am tempted.  >:D

I suspect they were trying to "accidentally forget" and evade paying for the return label, which is why I hung a lantern on the fact I didn't have it yet, so couldn't return the scope.

I refused to even acknowledge the rest of the obvious attempt at weaseling out.  ::)

That said; there was a return label in my eBay inbox today, so it will go back shortly. I am sorely tempted to snurch something from it as a "asshole tax" on these fuckwidgets... but I've promised to return it exactly as I received it.

mnem
 :-BROKE

Wouldn't be enough. On my tariff "arsehole tax" is £190/hr uplift over my usual rates, so say $225 USD uplift.

Amen!  :-+

Sadly, that is the big gamble one takes shopping on fleaBay... the waste of one's most precious resource: time.

*notification chirp on phone*

Oh dear... this is a conundrum. It appears eBay closed the dispute and issued a refund as soon as I printed the return label. The money is already back in my account... and I haven't even boxed the thing up yet.

Honest dwagon... 100% asshole tax... honest dwagon... 100% asshole tax...   

mnem
*wibble*
Sit tight and see if you get an email telling you not to return it. If they do ask you where is it, then you can say that since you already have the refund, you naturally assumed that they no longer wanted it back. You have the label in case that does happen, otherwise you either have 75% of an oscilloscope to do what you want with  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125735 on: July 08, 2022, 05:36:26 pm »
OK so as planned I did that TEAMS job interview just a few moments ago.

TL;DR : it went rather well overall.

Well let's see if that gives me a job or not  :-//

Hopefully the fact they revealed the extra position, and a better position too, to you is a good thing. I would assume if they weren't impressed that they wouldn't be giving you that info...

<SNIP>

Yeh, I've had that. Applied for one job because it's advertised and than got offered something at a higher level.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125736 on: July 08, 2022, 05:49:59 pm »
Didn't see that post. That's terrible. eBay would probably side with you anyway on this. Literally if the return is open and it's received and the label is registered then they will have a hard job disputing the return even if you shit on it before you send it back.

I suspect they were trying to "accidentally forget" and evade paying for the return label, which is why I hung a lantern on the fact I didn't have it yet, so couldn't return the scope.

I refused to even acknowledge the rest of the obvious attempt at weaseling out.  ::)

That said; there was a return label in my eBay inbox today, so it will go back shortly. I am sorely tempted to snurch something from it as a "asshole tax" on these fuckwidgets... but I've promised to return it exactly as I received it.

mnem

Wouldn't be enough. On my tariff "arsehole tax" is £190/hr uplift over my usual rates, so say $225 USD uplift.

Amen!  :-+

Sadly, that is the big gamble one takes shopping on fleaBay... the waste of one's most precious resource: time.

*notification chirp on phone*

Oh dear... this is a conundrum. It appears eBay closed the dispute and issued a refund as soon as I printed the return label. The money is already back in my account... and I haven't even boxed the thing up yet.

Honest dwagon... 100% asshole tax... honest dwagon... 100% asshole tax...   

mnem
*wibble*
Sit tight and see if you get an email telling you not to return it. If they do ask you where is it, then you can say that since you already have the refund, you naturally assumed that they no longer wanted it back. You have the label in case that does happen, otherwise you either have 75% of an oscilloscope to do what you want with  :-DD :-DD

If they get bitchy I'd just send them the RIFAs back in a zip lock bag and say that you followed their instructions with the same level of meticulous concern that they did when they were describing it initially.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, Atomillo

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125737 on: July 08, 2022, 06:06:36 pm »
UK question:
has anyone dealed with the seller behind this offer?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/275369981388

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125738 on: July 08, 2022, 06:33:39 pm »
Sorry, no dealings with them at all.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125739 on: July 08, 2022, 07:10:48 pm »
The LeSiglent T3DSO2102 is my big Father's Day present from wife and dad
IIRC it's a SDS2102X with inbuilt 25 MHz AWG and 140 Mpts mem depth. You should be able to improve it to 300 MHz however it probably comes with 100 MHz switchable probes although it has autosense which IIRC will detect 10x and 100x probes.
I had the 300 MHz 4ch model for a few years and have a pile of FW versions for these although you might need some tv84 CFG magic to convert it back to a Siglent.
Oh and mnem, keep your eyes open for the SPL2016 16ch digital probe set but not just in Siglent colors as these also are used by LeCroy, Tek and Rigol and there's also the DIY thread to make a set:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/diy-logic-analyzer-probe-and-pods-for-siglent-scopes/
However the OEM sets with the nice 10 way silicon ribbon coax is far superior to anything you can cobble up at home however Defpom did a reasonable job converting a set he got off ePay to fit his SDS2104X Plus.

What's your take on TK's adapter for the HP pods? Yay or nay vs oz2cpu's adapter?

Also, it appears rogersstuart has a "Version 2.0" kit of his much-maligned mod on the oz2cpu ...  :o   https://www.ebay.com/itm/225024212937

And last... does anyone here know if the compensation network in the HP pods is in the pod itself or the woven cable? From the pic below it appears it is, and for most of the work I'd want to do, honestly leads on the pod itself are more than long enuf.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 10:54:05 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125740 on: July 08, 2022, 07:56:26 pm »

mnem

Would it be wrong to make use of that (now) spare +15V supply on that connector?  >:D

If only there was a source of low voltage guaranteed to fail ones, preferably salvaged ones.  :-DD

David

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #125741 on: July 08, 2022, 08:04:38 pm »
UK question:

Nope, sorry
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125742 on: July 08, 2022, 08:10:32 pm »
<SNIP>

And last... does anyone here know if the compensation network in the HP pods is in the pod itself or the woven cable? From the pic below it appears it is, and for most of the work I'd want to do, honestly leads on the pod itself are more than long enuf.

mnem

The network is in the semi-Y shaped moulding at the end of the cable.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125743 on: July 08, 2022, 08:11:13 pm »
UK question:

No not me, I don't buy from sites that are not in English as it's the only language I know, yes I know that sounds stupid, but in my days at school, languages was not really an option. 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125744 on: July 08, 2022, 08:11:27 pm »

mnem

Would it be wrong to make use of that (now) spare +15V supply on that connector?  >:D      

If only there was a source of low voltage guaranteed to fail ones, preferably salvaged ones.  :-DD   

David

No need to look for already-impaired ones, provided you observe improper polarity.  >:D

mnem

The following users thanked this post: factory

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125745 on: July 08, 2022, 08:33:10 pm »
UK question:

No not me, I don't buy from sites that are not in English as it's the only language I know, yes I know that sounds stupid, but in my days at school, languages was not really an option.

The item is in Rushden, England (where I spent my first few years, before ending up in Scotland and now near Crewe) and no I've never dealt with that seller, nor do I want a Fluke/Tek DMM.

David

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125746 on: July 08, 2022, 08:44:59 pm »
UK question:

Seller is in the UK, I only got it via Ebay.de

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125747 on: July 08, 2022, 08:46:43 pm »
Am watching Edd China's latest video on YT, got a shock... spotted a piece of TE in the background as decoration. No light bulb mounted on it so that's good... well there IS a lamp on top of it, but I can see its base so it's just sitting atop the TE, not bolted to it I think  :phew:

It's too far away in the background to figure out exactly what it is, completely out of focus. Some kind of old HP spectrum analyzer perhaps ?!  :-//

https://youtu.be/d9JfWM8vUuU?t=1266

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125748 on: July 08, 2022, 08:49:11 pm »

Looks like you called it right:

The outage has been going on for several hours, seemingly nearly 11 hours at time of writing. The communications giant acknowledged the broken connectivity at about 1300 UTC (0900 ET) but it appears from online complaints and the Cloudflare internet radar, the trouble began much earlier, around 0830 UTC (0430 ET).

According to that radar, there was a surge in BGP routing announcements at around 0845 UTC for Roger's AS812 block of the internet. Other Rogers' blocks show networking difficulties.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, cyclin_al

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #125749 on: July 08, 2022, 08:50:57 pm »
The LeSiglent T3DSO2102 is my big Father's Day present from wife and dad
IIRC it's a SDS2102X with inbuilt 25 MHz AWG and 140 Mpts mem depth. You should be able to improve it to 300 MHz however it probably comes with 100 MHz switchable probes although it has autosense which IIRC will detect 10x and 100x probes.
I had the 300 MHz 4ch model for a few years and have a pile of FW versions for these although you might need some tv84 CFG magic to convert it back to a Siglent.
Oh and mnem, keep your eyes open for the SPL2016 16ch digital probe set but not just in Siglent colors as these also are used by LeCroy, Tek and Rigol and there's also the DIY thread to make a set:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/diy-logic-analyzer-probe-and-pods-for-siglent-scopes/
However the OEM sets with the nice 10 way silicon ribbon coax is far superior to anything you can cobble up at home however Defpom did a reasonable job converting a set he got off ePay to fit his SDS2104X Plus.

What's your take on TK's adapter for the HP pods? Yay or nay vs oz2cpu's adapter?

mnem
TBH if you can be bothered to cobble something together use the oz2cpu/Defpom method.
Why, because of mwyatt's contribution simulating my measurements to come up with the values of the passives in the networks of the OEM probe.
These things OEM whom as yet I've not found who makes them are damn expensive but don't forget a 20 lot of decent  quality grabbers alone will set you back a C note !

Or if you not in a hurry, keep an eye out for one that looks identical but made for LeCroy, Tek or Rigol and a little sleuthing on each of their websites will get you the Pt. # to look for.......then post them in the DIY thread for the benefit of others.  ;)

I'm 100% they all have the same OEM and the twin thin silicone 8 way ribbon coax (that's a mouthful ! ) is a thing of beauty and near impossible to emulate unless you got mates in the company where it's made to get offcuts !
That's why Defpom went the route he did so to get something nice for his efforts rather than some cobbled together twisted pair mess.

Last year Siglent were specialing SPL2016 + MSO/LA and AWG/FG licensing with a new SDS2000X Plus for just $ 219 that was one hell of a deal compared to shelling out retail for each.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 09:07:39 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf