Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16948395 times)

Vgkid, weejag and 87 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #125675 on: July 07, 2022, 10:26:24 pm »
Most of the open source software out there hasn't had "the 2nd 90%" of the development effort expended.

FTFY.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125676 on: July 07, 2022, 10:33:17 pm »
I need to go there again now. Nice photos  :-+
Been there, it's a desolate area, very windy and no shelter if the heavens open up, so no thank you.

I have been gong ther for maybe 60 years. It does feel like the end of the world - but is also quite near "normal" places. Strange, beguiling, not somewhere I would want to live.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neper

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #125677 on: July 07, 2022, 10:40:19 pm »
Most of the open source software out there hasn't had "the 2nd 90%" of the development effort expended.

FTFY.
Beat me to it.  :-DD

mnem
https://thedailywtf.com/articles/stuttering-strings
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125678 on: July 07, 2022, 10:45:57 pm »
as can Poettering.

Poettering is harder to get rid of than that. Chlorine Trifluoride would be my starting point.

Well at least he's somewhere so damaged already that fucking it up harder is nearly impossible.

Except when the fucktardery reaches critical mass...

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125679 on: July 07, 2022, 10:47:54 pm »

FTFY.

Actually I am using notable bits of software recently that I actually can’t find any bugs in, do not break even once in a year or more of usage and actually solves the problem that I am trying to solve.

I’m waiting for someone to come along and fuck them up.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125680 on: July 07, 2022, 11:00:57 pm »

FTFY.

Actually I am using notable bits of software recently that I actually can’t find any bugs in, do not break even once in a year or more of usage and actually solves the problem that I am trying to solve.

You must have taken some potent muscle brain relaxant. Patent it or become a distributor, as appropriate.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125681 on: July 07, 2022, 11:16:17 pm »
Oh dear... that does sound much like the early stages of "redhead infatuation syndrome".  :-DD

mnem
Somebody get the straitjacket...

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #125682 on: July 07, 2022, 11:47:07 pm »

Again, can you GUARANTEE that the readings what you've just done, stays within the specified limits for ALL specified conditions for ALL the manufactured DMM's(calibrated, OC)?
Because that's what the specification changes means.

Yes. It's not hard, the specified conditions are not unusual.
How nice of you to offering guarantees for Fluke; I' pretty sure they need it.
And BTW, what is the required accuracy for "typical"? Old Trafford or playing field?

More like "Manchester" by the looks of it.
Still much better Molineux Stadium.
Anyway, I'm getting tired of this discussion, never mind you've barking at the wrong tree; I strongly recommend to contact Fluke, and continue the discussion with them, since they are responsible to the issues you've raised.

Yes, I've often noticed people get tired of discussions once they've backed themselves into a corner.

I may raise the matter with Fluke, though frankly I suspect they will not care.

My conclusion of the whole discussion: common sense not that common anymore.
Now you can have the closing words.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 11:55:01 pm by Zoli »

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #125683 on: July 07, 2022, 11:49:39 pm »

FTFY.

You must have taken some potent muscle brain relaxant. Patent it or become a distributor, as appropriate.
Nah, is just the usual promotion of the current fruitty cargo cult.  :-DD :-DD :-DD
/ducks, then run like crazy

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125684 on: July 08, 2022, 12:50:39 am »
Zee plot; she zickensss... ::)

Tekyard_Medical Rep -

I contacted eBay to ask how to deal with this; they started the dispute. What I didn't know was that once they'd done so, I wouldn't be able to speak with you on that platform.

Here's the problem: This unit had no screws in the case; it arrived held together by nothing but the bubble wrap. Once that was removed, the guts of the thing literally slid right out onto my bench by itself. There's no way your people handled this thing without the same thing happening, and the missing parts being VERY visible.

If you're telling me that the hospital lab this scope came from removed those parts before you got it, I'm sorry; I find that very difficult to believe. I find it much likelier that as you are in the business of selling this kind of gear, your people used the parts to fix another scope. Which is fine... as long as you disclose the missing parts before you put the remains up for sale.

I shouldn't have to ask if there are major INTERNAL parts missing; you described this as an oscilloscope, not 3/4 of an oscilloscope, or the shell of an oscilloscope with no guts in it.

You are in the business of selling this kind of stuff. The burden of accurate description is on you. It's right there in the eBay Terms of use. If you don't take the time to evaluate appropriately, you should expect people to not be satisfied.

When I have my return label, I will send this unit back exactly as I received it.

Thank you for your time,

mnem

Here's what happened
Jul 07
The seller approved your request
Jul 07
The seller sent you a message
Hi, We listed this item "For parts and not working" and explain what we observed i.e. Lights come on but nothing appears on the screen. Missing handle. Since it's "For parts and not working" means it has issues or something is missing which we are unable to check and the buyer is responsible for the repair or he can take this unit for parts. You never requested us to send you a picture of the inside of the unit. It seems like you don't want to repair it and don't want to use it for parts. So, make sure the screen turns on when you'll ship back. For the future: You can ask for detailed pictures from us as we are re-sellers and don't have expertise in the equipment. To provide good customer service we are going to accept a return despite the fact we listed it for parts and not working.

mnem

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125685 on: July 08, 2022, 05:38:00 am »

FTFY.

Nah, is just the usual promotion of the current fruitty cargo cult.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Actually no I was referring to Prometheus and Loki.

The fruit salad merchant is only ranking less buggy than the competitors. There are still bugs. I actually got one fixed by them a few weeks back though which was a monumental surprise.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #125686 on: July 08, 2022, 06:50:40 am »
Etwas für Kenner or, less positive, gewöhnungsbedürftig.

As to my first photo, I'm still looking for an English translation of Während der Fahrt bitte festhalten. Literally: Please hold on during the ride.

The bus conductor's traditional cry, when ringing the bell for the driver to move off is: "Hold on tight please!".

Ah! That's where Jeff Lynne got his inspiration from!
https://youtu.be/UkekqVPIc2M
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #125687 on: July 08, 2022, 06:53:56 am »

FTFY.

The fruit salad merchant is only ranking less buggy than the competitors. There are still bugs. I actually got one fixed by them a few weeks back though which was a monumental surprise.

We named the black tomcat that came to us a few months ago Loki.

Sorry, no (good) photos available at the moment. He doesn't want to hold still enough for taking a picture.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125688 on: July 08, 2022, 06:57:45 am »
Appropriate name for a pocket murder machine  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125689 on: July 08, 2022, 07:17:35 am »
Zee plot; she zickensss... ::)

Tekyard_Medical Rep -

I contacted eBay to ask how to deal with this; they started the dispute. What I didn't know was that once they'd done so, I wouldn't be able to speak with you on that platform.

Here's the problem: This unit had no screws in the case; it arrived held together by nothing but the bubble wrap. Once that was removed, the guts of the thing literally slid right out onto my bench by itself. There's no way your people handled this thing without the same thing happening, and the missing parts being VERY visible.

If you're telling me that the hospital lab this scope came from removed those parts before you got it, I'm sorry; I find that very difficult to believe. I find it much likelier that as you are in the business of selling this kind of gear, your people used the parts to fix another scope. Which is fine... as long as you disclose the missing parts before you put the remains up for sale.

I shouldn't have to ask if there are major INTERNAL parts missing; you described this as an oscilloscope, not 3/4 of an oscilloscope, or the shell of an oscilloscope with no guts in it.

You are in the business of selling this kind of stuff. The burden of accurate description is on you. It's right there in the eBay Terms of use. If you don't take the time to evaluate appropriately, you should expect people to not be satisfied.

When I have my return label, I will send this unit back exactly as I received it.

Thank you for your time,

mnem

Here's what happened
Jul 07
Jul 07
Hi, We listed this item "For parts and not working" and explain what we observed i.e. Lights come on but nothing appears on the screen. Missing handle. Since it's "For parts and not working" means it has issues or something is missing which we are unable to check and the buyer is responsible for the repair or he can take this unit for parts. You never requested us to send you a picture of the inside of the unit. It seems like you don't want to repair it and don't want to use it for parts. So, make sure the screen turns on when you'll ship back. For the future: You can ask for detailed pictures from us as we are re-sellers and don't have expertise in the equipment. To provide good customer service we are going to accept a return despite the fact we listed it for parts and not working.

mnem

:wtf: they want you to fix it before you send it back?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125690 on: July 08, 2022, 07:20:34 am »
Didn't see that post. That's terrible. eBay would probably side with you anyway on this. Literally if the return is open and it's received and the label is registered then they will have a hard job disputing the return even if you shit on it before you send it back.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #125691 on: July 08, 2022, 07:44:17 am »
Somebody near Sehnde (Niedersachsen) in Germany?

A lot of testequipment for 600 Euro:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/rohde-schwarz/2151587290-168-2925

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125692 on: July 08, 2022, 07:50:30 am »
<snip>

Here's what happened
Jul 07
Jul 07

Ok, this is a real cheeky seller, they openly stated that when they tested it, the screen did not work, and yet, they now say that when you return it, they expect the screen to be working   :wtf:

Your gut feeling about this seller appears to have been correct.

I'd be inclined to speak to eBay again and keep them informed of this and see if they can resolve this correctly. I did earlier however say that eBay has changed, as I discovered when I that issue with an eBay partner letting me down and losing the GSP parcel which left me out of pocket  :rant:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 08:10:13 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #125693 on: July 08, 2022, 07:52:45 am »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, Specmaster, exor, bd139, ch_scr, m k

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125694 on: July 08, 2022, 08:00:38 am »

That is not what they say it is in the title, its not all Rohde Schwarz and the description is misleading.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #125695 on: July 08, 2022, 08:37:01 am »

That is not what they say it is in the title, its not all Rohde Schwarz and the description is misleading.

That's why I've written it that way.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125696 on: July 08, 2022, 09:10:03 am »

FTFY.

Ah, the trickster/joker, and the giant that corrupted mankind by introducing them to fire, writing, mathematics, agriculture, medicine, and science.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125697 on: July 08, 2022, 09:19:56 am »
spent a good week tracing down an issue with systemd and RHEL.
How I HATE this blockhead who did the systemd crap. Can we boil him a bit ? or crucify ? or express our gratitude in some other preferable painfull definitely lethal way ?

Anyway. Node.js is now accepting my ca.

One for BD:

Every girl is bi. You just have to figure out if it's polar or sexual.

Miss Ogyn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennart_Poettering

|O  :horse:  :rant:  :--

Lennart Poettering has left RedHat and is working now for Microsoft.

Source:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Systemd-Creator-Microsoft

Two thoughts spring to mind: "a marriage made in heaven", coupled with "they deserve each other".

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #125698 on: July 08, 2022, 09:20:34 am »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125699 on: July 08, 2022, 09:21:53 am »
There's unintuitive and then there's counterintuitive. My experience with most software produced by computer nerds for computer nerds is that it will invariably be the latter, as design follows ease of coding rather than any earthly understanding of how a human being with an actual workflow needs to get things done.

Reminds me of the software that processed photos and then saved them as Photo 0, 1, 2, 3...

Do programmers' wives also have their firstborne as the 0th child?

Or the Transmitters from the PRC with parallel RF amplifiers identified as Amp 0, Amp 1, Amp 3--except they didn't tell you that in the manual.
The LCD display of a non-functional Tx displayed "O.I. fault".

We thought it was a "Chinglish" typo meaning  "I.O." so we chased our tails looking for a control data fault. |O
It would have been nice if they had an LCD that could display "0IHI" for "Amplifier "0" high current!"

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf