Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16498365 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #123750 on: June 22, 2022, 10:56:26 am »
Also, I have 4 boxes full of scrap board to '"process", and it's pointless salvaging components from them all, unless I have an inventory system to process and store them.

My preference is to not "process" any board, but rather to keep them intact until you actually want a component off it.  There are a few reasons...
 1. Not spending time removing components only to never use them
 2. Avoids the risk of losing/misplacing a component.  A board is harder to lose.
 3. Components on a board are generally better protected - both electrically and physically (after all, they survived how long?)
 4. You have an example of an actual circuit (which may be helpful)
 5. If a real-world use of a component needs other components to support its function, then you will likely have them ... right next to it!
 6. If you have a need for a circuit, you may be able to tap into one already built!

Of course, there are times when the particular population of a board doesn't contain much of interest, so removing what is and discarding the rest would be sensible.  I have done that.  The same can be said for removing bulky appendages that would make for inefficient use of storage - heatsinks being a classic example.  (I have to admit to being a bit of a heatsink tragic here.  In my younger days, heatsinks were not particularly plentiful and chassis panels often performed that role - which aren't particularly easy to recycle.  As such, if I see one that looks half decent, I have to "save" it  ::) )

Of course, you can still catalogue the components of interest - but this is an exercise I have never been enticed into and at this stage in life, I cannot see me starting.

The following users thanked this post: Robert763, duckduck

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #123751 on: June 22, 2022, 11:02:21 am »
Is it proper TEA if you make it yourself?
Depends what you mean by "proper".

For me, I would ask: Is it Equipment used for Testing (in any sense)?

Your answer to that would be my answer to your question.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123752 on: June 22, 2022, 11:07:10 am »
Is it proper TEA if you make it yourself?
Depends what you mean by "proper".

For me, I would ask: Is it Equipment used for Testing (in any sense)?

Your answer to that would be my answer to your question.

It's theft, isn't it? All Proper TEA is theft  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding, duckduck

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123753 on: June 22, 2022, 11:08:10 am »
Either that, or I will steal whatever components and/or TE that I like in your lab, could get expensive as I don't know what's in your lab !  :-DD

We have Roquefort too :)

Lab picture is a bit old, there's been a Keithley 6500 added since then. But you can't have any of it!

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #123754 on: June 22, 2022, 11:09:16 am »
As for school, my equivalent was biology lessons when the teacher had acquired a large bag of dead mice from a local lab. Everybody did dissection, being warned not to puncture the bladder. Most succeeded.
We had just a peek at Biology in Science where our teacher while a nice guy was a bit of a whimp and asked us country kids to bring in a rabbit or possum for dissection.
Tautech wanting to be the he man  :box:  provided the possum in short order no worries thinking said whimpy teacher would do a Biology lessen with it but no, the whimp said I was to do it FFS !  :horse:

Subject.....but headshot.....protected in downunder beanflying territory.

Well dunno what came over me but an unstrung and intact loop of possum intestine was long enough to run 2 benches back and right across the lab and back to the front bench.  >:D
When I noticed all the nice gals had vacated the class and were almost heaving outside I knew I'd overstepped the bounds of teenage decency and anything wearing a skirt thereafter gave me a wide berth.  :-DD
The dumb shit we do at school.......
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123755 on: June 22, 2022, 11:24:01 am »
Also, I have 4 boxes full of scrap board to '"process", and it's pointless salvaging components from them all, unless I have an inventory system to process and store them.

My preference is to not "process" any board, but rather to keep them intact until you actually want a component off it.  There are a few reasons...
 2. Avoids the risk of losing/misplacing a component.  A board is harder to lose.
 3. Components on a board are generally better protected - both electrically and physically (after all, they survived how long?)
 5. If a real-world use of a component needs other components to support its function, then you will likely have them ... right next to it!
 6. If you have a need for a circuit, you may be able to tap into one already built!

Of course, there are times when the particular population of a board doesn't contain much of interest, so removing what is and discarding the rest would be sensible.  I have done that.  The same can be said for removing bulky appendages that would make for inefficient use of storage - heatsinks being a classic example.  (I have to admit to being a bit of a heatsink tragic here.  In my younger days, heatsinks were not particularly plentiful and chassis panels often performed that role - which aren't particularly easy to recycle.  As such, if I see one that looks half decent, I have to "save" it  ::) )

Of course, you can still catalogue the components of interest - but this is an exercise I have never been enticed into and at this stage in life, I cannot see me starting.

Oh well, in my case keeping the boards is much more trouble than it's worth.
No risk of damaging or losing components or anything... I only salvage general purpose stuff that can always be reused in other contexts. basically I salvage power resistors, power transistors and diodes and other beefy semiconductors. Relays, big high voltage film caps, IEC sockets, small H/W, heat sinks that don't have too "custom"/hard to reuse shape, opto-couplers in SMPS, coils, fuses and fuse holders, connectors, powers switches, micro switches, trimmers, pots, encoders, infra red barrier sensors, audio amplifiers, motor drivers, things like that. Then I scrap the board. I am not keeping it for exotic and specific chips I will never reuse, or all the small size jelly bean discrete components that cost only cents a dozen brand new, not worth the time and electricity for the soldering iron !  :-DD

That's mostly true for all the large single sided board like TV or monitor main boards, typically, or amplifiers or old consumler stuff like CD players or VCR or amps.

For more modern stuff, like a digital board, usually they are very small and very "low profile", They don't take that much space, and it 's all surface mount stuff which is a pain to store/organize.
So for that kind of board I think I might prefer, might find it more practical, to keep them in stock, and salvage only parts from them as I need to. Like surface mount MOSFET things like that. Even the boards that appear to be useless because they contain bugger all, or just chips I could never reuse... I still think I will keep them around (again because take very little space), as scrap boards so I can practice de/soldering of modern chips with zero consequences.

So that's roughly how I intend to go about all those boards :

Old bulky through hole analog boards : salvage general purpose components then scrap the board to make space.
The modern SMD boards, that are small and low profile, I might keep most of them and sort them into 3 broad categories, for easier/faster access :

1) SMPS / power supply stuff.
2) Digital boards with discrete components that might come handy to fix other stuff.
3) Boards with not much interesting on them, that I can use as guinea pigs to safely practice de/soldering.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 11:41:30 am by Vince »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123756 on: June 22, 2022, 11:31:05 am »
Either that, or I will steal whatever components and/or TE that I like in your lab, could get expensive as I don't know what's in your lab !  :-DD

Lab picture is a bit old, there's been a Keithley 6500 added since then. But you can't have any of it!

McBryce.

Well if I can't have any of it then it means you posted with the sole intention to TORTURE ME ?!

That's not very nice of you is it....

I will send a commando at night to steal at least the DC electronic load from your lab.
You don't need that to test your 9V batteries, a quick DMM check is more than enough ! >:D

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 11:33:01 am by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #123757 on: June 22, 2022, 12:33:36 pm »
BRIDGES !

Have a few of those as well, 33 it looks like. A bit a of everything size and package wise.... some small 4 and 6 pin DIP, small round ones, TO220, big SIL packages, and one big square.

They'll all be double diodes right, so technically not a bridge.  :horse:

How do you know it's not a bridge ?

The pins are identified like a bridge would : an ' AC ' symbol on two pins, and a ' - - negative polarity symbol one the last pin. All my dual diodes were marked clearly with actual diode looking symbols, not polarity symbols. So when I hastily sorted these bridges earlier this year, as a first pass trying to sort through all my components, I based my judgement on that. I figured the missing ' + ' pin would just be connected to the metal and that's it.

OK just buzzed it, turns out it 's not. Metal tab is not the positive, it's connected to the negative pin... so it's indeed a dual diode not a bridge, but it could have been a bridge, technically.. you just had no way to be 100% sure.... so sorry but I don't count that as win for you, merely luck.  >:D

All 10 of them, are identical it turns out. Al marked " S5KC20R ".

Couldn't find a datasheet for it, only an old scanned catalog page from some chinese company : " SHINDENGEN Semiconductor ". Never heard of them ? Well now thanks to me, you have ! :-DD

That page also shows an interesting product of theirs, that they named, I quote : " SIDAC bit-directional diode thyristor ".
I don't know what a SIDAC is, and I don't see how it can be a dual diode and a thyristor at the same time. I guess I am just too ignorant again... why don't all manufacturers make this wonderful product...  >:D

OK so I shall be adding them to diode inventory then, I guess.... So they are 200V 5A 300ns fast recovery diodes.

Problem, with any dual diode :  for some of them the datasheet says they are rated, say, at 20A... then somewhere else they will say no it's just marketing BS. 20A is the "total" current... but each diode can only take 10A.

So the problem is that now, it casts a doubt of shadow on EVERY other diode. Most of them don't state if the current they specify is for one individual diode, or the total current for both diodes combined...

So in fact you just can never be 100% sure what current your freaking dual diodes can really take !!  :scared:

Sometimes I hate datasheets !!!  They are supposed to help you understand what the device can do... NOT add CONFUSION instead ! :palm:
I've heard these diode paks referred to as a "half-wave bridge"; but of course that's wrong as they do conduct on both sides of the wave. The main reasons they're popular is cheaper to produce and more easily machine-placed, and of course half the forward voltage drop of a "full-wave" bridge.

In the real world, you're not likely going to find a "full-wave" bridge in this package. While technically possible, no manufacturer is going to go through the assache of dealing with a package where one of 4 conductors is a screw/eyelet, nor would any engineer in their right mind do so. Yes, you could technically do it with a D-Pak and have a machine-placeable part, but think about how your bridge rectifier would dissipate heat with 2 of the dies connected directly to the cooling tab and 2 not. You'd have a built-in point of thermal stress and failure.

The inherent efficiency of ferrite transformers at higher operating frequency in a modern SMPS makes these diode paks the obvious choice for a host of reasons. The drive to make everything more compact is a big one, while the difference in extra copper is negligible and machine-placeable designs makes the extra lead needed pretty much irrelevant.

As for the datasheets... the continuous current rating is for the rectifier as a whole package. The surge current rating for these diode paks will be for each diode in the package, as when dealing with timeframes that small, the rectifier will only be conducting on one direction. With a full-wave bridge rectifier, that rating will be for whichever pair of diodes is conducting in a cycle, and will reflect the forward voltage drop of both diodes.

Okay... I've done pontificating over my morning cuppa. All Y'alls may now proceed to nit-pick me to death as I duly deserve.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 01:44:13 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123758 on: June 22, 2022, 12:42:06 pm »

In the US, land of backwards, union telco techs still lace. It is not permitted to have cable ties on overhead raceway, because the metal tabs will fall down and short the Strowger.

Not true. All the CAT 5/6 cabling in the IBM Systems Test Area is cable tie.

Early Tek's were lace. Later Tek's combo lace/plastic. IBM S/360 Idiot Light Consoles were lace.

Nowadaze of course SOP in the IDF/MDF is Velcro ties because:

A) you can buy on a roll
2) you can undo and redo to move a cable

but mostly because:

C) Wage-slave cable monkeys will pull a zip-tie tight enough to damage CAT5/6/7 etc... Velcro prevents that.

Obviously the overheads and raceways with bundles as big as my waist will need something a wee bit more substantial, but thankfully, that's usually not my problem.  :-DD

mnem
moo.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #123759 on: June 22, 2022, 12:46:09 pm »

In the US, land of backwards, union telco techs still lace. It is not permitted to have cable ties on overhead raceway, because the metal tabs will fall down and short the Strowger.

Early Tek's were lace. Later Tek's combo lace/plastic. IBM S/360 Idiot Light Consoles were lace.

A) you can buy on a roll

but mostly because:

C) Wage-slave cable monkeys will pull a zip-tie tight enough to damage CAT5/6/7 etc... Velcro prevents that.

Obviously the overheads and raceways with bundles as big as my waist will need something a wee bit more substantial, but thankfully, that's usually not my problem.  :-DD

mnem
moo.

Velcro is indeed the cable retention of choice in IBM Z Series for ease of maintenance.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123760 on: June 22, 2022, 12:47:23 pm »

McBryce.

Well if I can't have any of it then it means you posted with the sole intention to TORTURE ME ?!

That's not very nice of you is it....

I will send a commando at night to steal at least the DC electronic load from your lab.
You don't need that to test your 9V batteries, a quick DMM check is more than enough ! >:D

I actually bought that DC Load when I was designing some DC/DC converters and it is worth its weight in gold. I thought I'd rarely use it again, but it gets used a lot more than I would have thought.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123761 on: June 22, 2022, 12:50:37 pm »
...I can confirm that you can indeed disappear a chocolate orange before the police get there. I've watched my ex wife nosh a whole one in ten minutes washed down by some full fat coke and a couple of metformin. (I can hear the groans from med already)
I've done some stupid shit with food/carbs but not THAT stupid.  :palm:

No comment.

mnem
*looks over at 3/4 empty bag of Father's Day Reese's*   Ugghhh... *blerk*

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123762 on: June 22, 2022, 12:54:52 pm »
My Keysight LCR meter has gone awol. Apparently lost in move, along with some other stuff. Will intensify search and issue a BOLO.
Issue a Bolo? This one?   

Knowing Saskia, much more likely this one:

mnem
"Chookiteee!"

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123763 on: June 22, 2022, 12:58:02 pm »

A) you can buy on a roll

but mostly because:

mnem
moo.

Velcro is indeed the cable retention of choice in IBM Z Series for ease of maintenance.

that's ok until you get half way home and realise you've got velcro ties stuck all over your ass.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123764 on: June 22, 2022, 12:59:17 pm »
As for school, my equivalent was biology lessons when the teacher had acquired a large bag of dead mice from a local lab. Everybody did dissection, being warned not to puncture the bladder. Most succeeded.
We had just a peek at Biology in Science where our teacher while a nice guy was a bit of a whimp and asked us country kids to bring in a rabbit or possum for dissection.
Tautech wanting to be the he man  :box:  provided the possum in short order no worries thinking said whimpy teacher would do a Biology lessen with it but no, the whimp said I was to do it FFS !  :horse:

Well dunno what came over me but an unstrung and intact loop of possum intestine was long enough to run 2 benches back and right across the lab and back to the front bench.  >:D
When I noticed all the nice gals had vacated the class and were almost heaving outside I knew I'd overstepped the bounds of teenage decency and anything wearing a skirt thereafter gave me a wide berth.  :-DD
The dumb shit we do at school.......
If you knew the digestive time of that critter, you could have emulated a famous quote (normally done with a roll of copper wire)!

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #123765 on: June 22, 2022, 01:01:25 pm »
I also ate a tofu burrito yesterday. Don't recommend that. Tasted great however it clearly inflamed the gut flora which are now making a stinky protest. At least it wasn't a taco bell one...  :o

For some people, that's half the fun!  :-DD

Fried tofu is good though, and mapo tofu is delicious, and a bit of tofu with chopped spring onion and soy sauce on top with a beer in a standing izakaya in downtown Tokyo.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123766 on: June 22, 2022, 01:09:17 pm »

I have successfully pared my collection of both down to just two.  :o

You have no idea just how painful that was. :'(

mnem

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #123767 on: June 22, 2022, 01:15:43 pm »
*looks over at 3/4 empty bag of Father's Day Reese's*   Ugghhh... *blerk*

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123768 on: June 22, 2022, 01:24:18 pm »

I'm now in the market for an N connector dust cap, cables, adapters, attenuators, and a signal generator that goes up to 500MHz or so.

Do yourself a favour and add a DC-Block to that list in order to preclude the prevalent cause of death of spectrum analysers.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123769 on: June 22, 2022, 01:31:37 pm »

As for pheasant, I got put off that fairly early on. My art teacher at school found a very dead one maggot infested on the way to school on his bike, threw it in a sainsburys bag and hung it up in the class room for us to draw and paint under "still life". I can still smell it 30 years later  :(
YOU WERE LUCKY! Down under, that might have been an Emu!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123770 on: June 22, 2022, 01:32:01 pm »
I also ate a tofu burrito yesterday. Don't recommend that. Tasted great however it clearly inflamed the gut flora which are now making a stinky protest. At least it wasn't a taco bell one...  :o

For some people, that's half the fun!  :-DD

Fried tofu is good though, and mapo tofu is delicious, and a bit of tofu with chopped spring onion and soy sauce on top with a beer in a standing izakaya in downtown Tokyo.

Yeah rather like fried tofu. Super tasty  :-+

Now you've made me hungry  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123771 on: June 22, 2022, 01:33:29 pm »

As for pheasant, I got put off that fairly early on. My art teacher at school found a very dead one maggot infested on the way to school on his bike, threw it in a sainsburys bag and hung it up in the class room for us to draw and paint under "still life". I can still smell it 30 years later  :(
YOU WERE LUCKY! Down under, that might have been an Emu!

That gave me a flash back to Rod Hull...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, duckduck

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #123772 on: June 22, 2022, 01:34:45 pm »
I have successfully pared my collection of both down to just two.  :o

You have no idea just how painful that was. :'(
I may not know the specific level of pain - but I believe I have a reasonable appreciation of the type of pain.  The discomfort of balancing the guilt of keeping stuff and the anxiety of getting rid of it is a torment I try to avoid.  I am led to believe this is called "denial".

I have, however, developed a certain discipline .... to limit the number of containers of a particular classification of "stuff".  If I want to "save" something and it fits in the container, then no shedding is required.  If it doesn't, then either something else goes or it goes.  I do have an "executive override" protocol if there is potential for adding more storage space by moving into a bigger container or starting another one .... but that is constrained by the absolute amount of storage space I have for ALL my crap "treasures".

Needless to say, I have becoming more proficient in increasing the density of storage.   >:D

I feel you will understand ... as will a great many others here....    ;D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 01:36:46 pm by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123773 on: June 22, 2022, 01:47:45 pm »

A) you can buy on a roll

but mostly because:

mnem
moo.

that's ok until you get half way home and realise you've got Velcro ties stuck all over your ass.

Which is fine. Peel them off for the next gig and you can bill for the same ones twice.  :-DD

mnem
or, stop off at your favorite watering hole and invent a new drinking game... >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123774 on: June 22, 2022, 01:58:36 pm »

Well dunno what came over me but an unstrung and intact loop of possum intestine was long enough to run 2 benches back and right across the lab and back to the front bench.  >:D   When I noticed all the nice gals had vacated the class and were almost heaving outside I knew I'd overstepped the bounds of teenage decency and anything wearing a skirt thereafter gave me a wide berth.  :-DD   The dumb shit we do at school.......
If you knew the digestive time of that critter, you could have emulated a famous quote (normally done with a roll of copper wire)!
Sortof the inverse function of beard-nanometers as a time reference... :-DD

mnem
*skritch-ity*
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 02:01:38 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf