Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16505518 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #123600 on: June 21, 2022, 03:27:24 am »

Mmmm. Pie...

You, Sir, are a bastard. Now I feel a hankering for pork pie, which must be left tragically unsatisfied!

There's just something about a pork pie, something quintessentially British, that means nobody else ever gets it quite right. You'd think that in Germany, the natural home of Schweinefleisch that something equally as good that fits the same niche would have evolved, but sadly it has not.

I'd post you one, a proper Melton Mowbray, but hoping that a pork pie would survive the Royal Mail, German customs, and hungry Deutsche Post workers would be beyond reason.

Do me a flavor, C... scope these guys out:

https://parkersbritishinstitution.com/product/1-lb-melton-mowbray-pork-pie

Site looks like a couple young upstarts and a boutique website... but if I can get a shade of the taste of a proper pork pie or fission fish & chips... I might spring for a order big enuf for free shipping, or add them to the itinerary & swing around that way next time I'm in New York.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Yeah, right.

Every Englishman knows that the finest pork pies come from the pretty Leicestershire town of Melton Mowbray. We’ve based ours on the age-old Melton recipe. It’s handcrafted with uncured cuts of traditionally seasoned, peppery British pork, encased in a thick, hot-water crust pastry. The pastry is made to a secret recipe, passed down through the family from a Yorkshire butcher.

So, is it a Yorkshire recipe, or a Melton Mowbray one, because it can't be both. Can't say I like all the air inside the pie either, that does not speak of one who knows their craft. Moreover, "Melton Mowbray Pork Pie" is a protected origin designation. So, as far as the UK ,and probably still the EU, are concerned they're breaking the law as I assume that they're making these in Buffalo. What are they going to sell next, Parma Ham from Maine, Champagne from Idaho, and Dijon Mustard from Louisiana? It might be one thing to claim that they follow the Melton Mowbray tradition, but quite another to bill it up front as a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie. Also the filling looks very pink for uncured pork for a full 1lb pie, the real thing is quite grey with only perhaps a tinge of pink.

Oh and "secret recipe"? Boil lard in hot water, add  flour and salt , mix vigorously, turn out and knead briefly. In "bakers percent": 35% water, 30% lard, 1% salt. Resultant pasty should be able to be raised into a pie shape around a former (called a dolly) while still hot and stand up on its own without the dolly once cooled.  Not much of a secret.

I'd avoid. See if you can find someone over there selling the real thing. Dickinson and Morris (www.porkpie.co.uk) is a respectable mass manufacturer of said comestibles and thus likely to be big enough to possibly have some export trade.

If you're minded to make your own the trick, as with traditional British sausages, is that if it looks like you've got way too much pepper in your seasoning, enough that you're thinking "Did I misread the recipe?", you've probably got it right.

Do you get hoof and mouth disease included or is that optional?  :P :P :P :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #123601 on: June 21, 2022, 04:13:15 am »
There's just something about a pork pie, something quintessentially British, that means nobody else ever gets it quite right. You'd think that in Germany, the natural home of Schweinefleisch that something equally as good that fits the same niche would have evolved, but sadly it has not.

I'd post you one, a proper Melton Mowbray, but hoping that a pork pie would survive the Royal Mail, German customs, and hungry Deutsche Post workers would be beyond reason.

Do me a flavor, C... scope these guys out:

https://parkersbritishinstitution.com/product/1-lb-melton-mowbray-pork-pie

Site looks like a couple young upstarts and a boutique website... but if I can get a shade of the taste of a proper pork pie or fission fish & chips... I might spring for a order big enuf for free shipping, or add them to the itinerary & swing around that way next time I'm in New York.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Yeah, right.

Every Englishman knows that the finest pork pies come from the pretty Leicestershire town of Melton Mowbray. We’ve based ours on the age-old Melton recipe. It’s handcrafted with uncured cuts of traditionally seasoned, peppery British pork, encased in a thick, hot-water crust pastry. The pastry is made to a secret recipe, passed down through the family from a Yorkshire butcher.

So, is it a Yorkshire recipe, or a Melton Mowbray one, because it can't be both. Can't say I like all the air inside the pie either, that does not speak of one who knows their craft. Moreover, "Melton Mowbray Pork Pie" is a protected origin designation. So, as far as the UK ,and probably still the EU, are concerned they're breaking the law as I assume that they're making these in Buffalo. What are they going to sell next, Parma Ham from Maine, Champagne from Idaho, and Dijon Mustard from Louisiana? It might be one thing to claim that they follow the Melton Mowbray tradition, but quite another to bill it up front as a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie. Also the filling looks very pink for uncured pork for a full 1lb pie, the real thing is quite grey with only perhaps a tinge of pink.

Oh and "secret recipe"? Boil lard in hot water, add  flour and salt , mix vigorously, turn out and knead briefly. In "bakers percent": 35% water, 30% lard, 1% salt. Resultant pasty should be able to be raised into a pie shape around a former (called a dolly) while still hot and stand up on its own without the dolly once cooled.  Not much of a secret.

I'd avoid. See if you can find someone over there selling the real thing. Dickinson and Morris (www.porkpie.co.uk) is a respectable mass manufacturer of said comestibles and thus likely to be big enough to possibly have some export trade.

If you're minded to make your own the trick, as with traditional British sausages, is that if it looks like you've got way too much pepper in your seasoning, enough that you're thinking "Did I misread the recipe?", you've probably got it right.
Huh...? I thought the Yorkshire recipe pie and the Melton Mowbray recipe pie were two different products on two different pages...? :-// Is the crust recipe appreciably different between the two pies...?  :-//

Okay, okay... I said it looked like a couple young upstarts and a boutique website...  :palm:

We both know that's all just hype, and anybody selling on the intardnet better put a couple heaping servings on the front page or they're just gonna get clicked right on past.

I was just hoping they might have it down close enough to passable, because they're dry ice close and I know from making my own chicken pot pies that crust is not a thing which travels well or long.

I've never found a pork pot pie, from restaurant or recipe, that I like nearly as much as my own chicken pot pies. ;)

I do hope you're exaggerating somewhat on the black pepper part though... if there's one thing I am sick unto death of, it's black pepper abuse.

In Texas, they seem to equate "pepper" with "flavor", and if it doesn't start out with enough black pepper to damage tastebuds then start adding Chilis, Habaneros and Ghost peppers, they say "it doesn't have any flavor". Even the pizzas from the local grocery and many of the Pizza shops suffer from this gustatory abomination.  |O

A'aight... I'll see if I can find a US importer of those pies. Somebody's gotta feed all those displaced scone-eaters over here.  :-DD

mnem
Curses... foiled again...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 04:26:09 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123602 on: June 21, 2022, 04:35:29 am »
I want to hear the steppers clicking as the voltage varies.  :-+

I made a quick recording of the unit in operation as it currently stands just a few minutes ago.  The relay contacts are going to need more cleaning - last night the LSD was working most of the time; today it's back to being out more than on.  The third digit was much better last night, too.  More Deoxit is in the cards, but in the meantime, behold stepper relays clattering away for your enjoyment...

-Pat

My cousins were early pioneers in the Western Australian Crayfishing industry.

From time to time, they would drop off a "sugar bag" full of live "Crays" (More properly, "Western Rock Lobsters") to Mum.
She then had to Euthanise them, before we feasted upon them.

They would make a distinctive clattering sound in the darkness of the bag.

Fast forward a bit, & I was trundling around the State fixing TV & Radio Broadcast stuff.
Some of the smaller TV Tx were co-sited with Telephone Exchanges.
At one of these, whilst working on our gear, there was the constant background sound of the Crossbar Exchange operating.
I wondered what it reminded me of, till it hit me----the exchange sounded exactly like those long ago bags full of "Crays"!

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Vince, mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #123603 on: June 21, 2022, 04:43:31 am »
I'm tryin', bd... I'm tryin'... but I just cain't make myself tick that box...

I hesitated for a really long time. Now, I won't go back. And I was brought up on ()(()) calculation. I even sometimes understood what I did.
But start with dc and the man page.

Story from work (yesterday, actually):  We have a couple of machines that we only have serial connectivity to from the office net. They can get to the Internet quite OK, albeit NATted. They're DNS and DHCP for the untrusted network, and therefore need some isolation. Also, they're OpenBSD, because that is one of the more secure variants of Unixy computing around.

So, they run plain ISC dhcpd, and also Unbound for resolving, with a setup there they run anycast DNS and DHCP in failover.

The challenge was to add a few new nets to DHCP, and since I know how that's done, and the young'uns at work (who like API's and Python and stuff) don't, I guided them through it. We used:

• SSH to high port on terminal server.
  • vi (not vim!)
  • rcs ("Welcome to 1995. This is what git replaced, about 5 iterations back")
  • uuencode and uudecode (cut and paste in serial terminal newer works 100%, but uu stuff was built to survive 300 baud acoustical coupler modems...)
  • ...and a buncha other stuff.

They most appreciated the drive through vi -- I've been writing all my private email in vi for 25 years, so the things I do will take some effort to pass on. Especially to people who sit in IDE's and have colour in vim.

My catch phrase was "Bill Joy does not like to wait for the teletype on long commands. So he made them shorter." Although, to be fair, on a TTY, I'd stick to ed. And Joy didn't write ed.

Anyway, this is all roughly comparable in feedback and terseness to dc. Which I highly reccommend.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #123604 on: June 21, 2022, 04:46:46 am »

Yes, indeed, I finally pulled the trigger on ordering a 121-GW. Now my BM786 will have a companion to keep it company on my bench.  I think that's a nice, wholesome ending to this story.

Naah, it's a good start on a life of buying more multimeters. At least in here it is.

There are lots of 8060A with leaky caps out there just waiting for you.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123605 on: June 21, 2022, 05:01:19 am »
I finally found the issue with the 475A alternate mode and for now it's unfixable. See schematic.

The ALT mode switch is broken and permanently grounded regardless of position which kills the sync pulse. At this point given the complexity to get to that switch I see no sense in trying to fix it unless I have a replacement on hand. And a replacement would mostly likely require a 475A parts mule. So unless one comes across my radar real cheap for now it will remain a usable scope except in ALT mode. And unfortunately I do have a 465 and 465B parts mules but the switch assembly is different. Oh well.

Could you possibly sub a relay controlled by a still working sector of that switch...?  :-//

I've done exactly that on cars where a frightfully expensive multifunction switch had one or two circuits melted out.

mnem
 :-BROKE

Did that the night before I started a new job, when I realised the headlight function didn't work on the multifunction switch of the "old roughie" I had just bought.
In my junk box, I found a salvaged relay & "bodged" it in, complete with a jagged piece of  PCB from my previous very rough salvage work.
Please ignore the pink attachment, that was supposed to be an Austin Tasman---it seems that I can't now remove it!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 05:04:44 am by vk6zgo »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #123606 on: June 21, 2022, 05:06:38 am »
Coffee table ornament?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265740767106

[/img]
[/size][/b]

Isn't that a photo of the inside of Robert's second "garage"?  :)
*want*

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123607 on: June 21, 2022, 05:19:42 am »
Uggh... that's grim. It was similar over here.  :-[

Whole towns around Pittsburgh literally dried up & blew away; the only thing left in McKeesport when we moved to Mt Lebanon was the local gin mill with a few old połocks grumbling aboot how "things will be better once we get the damned mills open again..." No concept of how that was to happen, of course...

Cerebus...? Do you recall what it felt like when the unions died?

mnem
*pulls up a rug & just listens*

Unions are basically suicide cults.

10 Watch the train strike over the next few days.
20 Then watch the commuters decline and work from home.
30 Then watch the rail companies cut service and staff.
40 GOTO 10

There should be a better way.

There is. Pay the staff a decent wage, don't fuck them over with hire-and-fire contracts to cut back their pay/benefits/conditions, don't force compulsory redundancies on them while paying top managers large bonuses, and don't claim to be negotiating while basically refusing to change your position at all.

I think we're all looking at the past through shite-colored glasses here; at least in the US, unions were mostly not nearly as bad as the media painted them to be.

As with all localized power bases, there were a few bad actors; but overall, unions were and are still the only leverage a working class citizen has against the tyranny of the bean-counters. Demonizing them all in the way bd139* did right there is as unreasonable as the current situation where every worker has to justify his very existence to the likes of Ebenezer Scrooge. :palm:

Like it or not, the only way the working classes are going get a fair shake is by supporting unions (or some similar collective-bargaining machine)  and making sure they don't get taken over by the local mafia. Very few of us have that "very particular set of skills" which makes one unique and irreplaceable such that one can demand a living wage. The rest of us need to band together, otherwise each and every one of us becomes just a guy with a broom trying to sweep back the tide...

mnem
*toddles off to fondle his knobs* The ones I just printed, you pervs.   >:D

* Sorry, C... corrected now. Please put away the conversational cutlery...  :scared:

My experience when still working as a journalist and member of the journalist guild:
The guild was taken over by Verdi (one of the large unions over here).
Shortly thereafter the union announced that it was their job to meddle in politics and that they expected the journalist to only write about issues persuant to their political agenda.  A year later they sent out mails telling us which party to vote for.
This was when I told them to shuffle my membership up their poop chute. To which they replied that they wanted to know my income so that they could grab their fair share for the years of my membership (I think it was 10%, but not sure I remember correctly).

I told them that this was none of their effing business since they did not provide any services to me ever and that they should summarily commit seppuku to make the world a better place.

To me unions are criminal organizations.
And yes, I am judging by inference.

Back to topic.

The following users thanked this post: scl, bd139

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123608 on: June 21, 2022, 05:34:04 am »
Given the current microchip shortage and the value of 2ndhand cars going skywards, how can we safeguard our cars from stolen to order and shipped to Nigeria and other dodgy destinations, as this video shows. This is a serious question, with the car manufacturers being generally reluctant to tackle the problem head on, as pointed out in this video by the Canadian Police? Steering locks etc are not a solution, so any ideas that could be made to work?

Yeah drive something that no one wants to nick.
Or stick some immobilizer in it that is too much trouble to overcome quickly.
We had terrible trouble here in NZ for a while with older Hiace vans and Hilux utes being stolen and shipped onto the Pacific islands.

I simply pop the bonnet and pull the ignition wire that feeds the distributor cap, thieves rarely travel with a truck load of spare parts, only their tablet these days !  :-DD

You know that you have an old car when it has a mechanical distributor cap to remove (and rotor arm).

My father used to remove the rotor arm as an immobiliser.

After the minivan got stolen, I started pulling the fuel pump fuse and one or two others if I was going to be away from home for more than a day or two with the vehicle left unattended.  I don't think it's foiled any attempts at theft though since I've never come back to find any signs of someone trying to break in and start up any of the vehicles I've had since.  It doesn't rule out the possibility of someone towing or trailering them away vs. stealing them under their own power, but having the fuel pump and a couple of other control power fuses out does give me peace of mind that it wouldn't be as straightforward as normal to steal.  The other thing that changed out of the minivan being stolen was the porch light which also lights up the front part of the driveway stays on all the time, hydro bill be damned.

None of this addresses the problem of the driveway being empty while I'm away on a driving vacation and I have come home and the neighbours have told me they've been woken up by their dog barking and noise in my driveway between their house and mine and seeing scuffs on the side door where someone's tried to kick it open.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123609 on: June 21, 2022, 06:19:10 am »
Do you get hoof and mouth disease included or is that optional?  :P :P :P :-DD :-DD

I’m not sure if cats and pigeons transmit that  :popcorn:

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #123610 on: June 21, 2022, 06:23:35 am »

Claw and beak disease, maybe?

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123611 on: June 21, 2022, 06:25:12 am »

Claw and beak disease, maybe?

-Pat

Grim. And that explains neatly why pork pies are close to number one on my “I’m not poking it with a stick” list  :-DD

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123612 on: June 21, 2022, 06:45:30 am »
Given the current microchip shortage and the value of 2ndhand cars going skywards, how can we safeguard our cars from stolen to order and shipped to Nigeria and other dodgy destinations, as this video shows. This is a serious question, with the car manufacturers being generally reluctant to tackle the problem head on, as pointed out in this video by the Canadian Police? Steering locks etc are not a solution, so any ideas that could be made to work?

We had terrible trouble here in NZ for a while with older Hiace vans and Hilux utes being stolen and shipped onto the Pacific islands.

I simply pop the bonnet and pull the ignition wire that feeds the distributor cap, thieves rarely travel with a truck load of spare parts, only their tablet these days !  :-DD

You know that you have an old car when it has a mechanical distributor cap to remove (and rotor arm).

I remember my dad making an emergency rotor arm out of a cork, a paperclip and a drawing pin......

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123613 on: June 21, 2022, 06:54:56 am »

After the minivan got stolen, I started pulling the fuel pump fuse and one or two others if I was going to be away from home for more than a day or two with the vehicle left unattended.  I don't think it's foiled any attempts at theft though since I've never come back to find any signs of someone trying to break in and start up any of the vehicles I've had since.  It doesn't rule out the possibility of someone towing or trailering them away vs. stealing them under their own power, but having the fuel pump and a couple of other control power fuses out does give me peace of mind that it wouldn't be as straightforward as normal to steal.  The other thing that changed out of the minivan being stolen was the porch light which also lights up the front part of the driveway stays on all the time, hydro bill be damned.

None of this addresses the problem of the driveway being empty while I'm away on a driving vacation and I have come home and the neighbours have told me they've been woken up by their dog barking and noise in my driveway between their house and mine and seeing scuffs on the side door where someone's tried to kick it open.

Employ geofencing plus the 500 grams solution. This would prevent the thieves from stealing other cars. Declare the situation a sacrifice to the gods and claim religious freedom.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123614 on: June 21, 2022, 07:04:05 am »
Winner winner on the Ferengi front. Just sold three books I paid £1.56 for at the last hamfest to someone for £75 in cash outside of eBay. That’s what you call a margin  >:D

Annoyingly it looks like it’s raining on the Newbury hamfest and that is outside  >:(

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123615 on: June 21, 2022, 07:12:59 am »
@Robert how much do you want for the Ultrasparc 10 mainboard ?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #123616 on: June 21, 2022, 07:55:12 am »
Miscellaneous ramblings....

Later today I'll pull out that bent Type 547 and posting lots of pictures of how it's tweaked. And soliciting opinions on how to fix it. Electrically the scope powers up fine and works....except the HV transformer shuts down after about a half hour. If I can fix the mechanical issues I'll probably send the HV assembly to be fixed.

Blood sugar journey. Getting there. Probably need one more insulin adjustment. Measured blood sugar this morning was 102 mg/dL and 14 day average is 121 mg/dL. Desired is consistently under 120 mg/dL and ideal is around 100 mg/dL. I'm also experimenting with adding some additional carbs in my diet without blowing the numbers. Eating the same stuff all the time gets damn boring.

The 475A is all back together and on the burn-in rack with it's little buddy. It's really annoying that all the important parameters such as gain, compensation, sweep are dead on with a good trace yet the ALT doesn't work. Can't have everything I guess.  :-//

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123617 on: June 21, 2022, 09:09:50 am »
Coffee table ornament?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265740767106

[/img]
[/size][/b]

Isn't that a photo of the inside of Robert's second "garage"?  :)
*want*

What, you want the contents of my second garage  ???

You really don't want a large turbofan to play with. They require a huge amount of support. Even to run at ground idle you need a substantial hardstanding and tie downs. A ground start turbine big enough to start it will typically cost more than the turbofan. That's assuming the airstarter is included with the engine. An inadvertent increase in power is likely to be traumatic. There is a reason why they sell for scrap metal value.
Years ago I was offered a similar sized RB211 complete with intake cowl and stand for £500. I declined. It was on the same industrial estate as my work and the boss said I could put it in the carpark. I even had free access to a forklift. They are just a liability. Even to scrap one needs special tools and lifting gear.
Even something medium sized like a Spey only fetches £2000-6000 but a small engine will cost far more.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139, Saskia, duckduck

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123618 on: June 21, 2022, 09:17:58 am »

Yeap, I used to do with early cars.

They'll just tow it anyway and fix all that later. They don't drive it away.

Buy a bike and replace the seat with something embarrassing:

Some would take that as an invitation and a challenge :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123619 on: June 21, 2022, 09:23:04 am »
...Yes, indeed, I finally pulled the trigger on ordering a 121-GW. Now my BM786 will have a companion to keep it company on my bench.  I think that's a nice, wholesome ending to this story.

Every time I sell some more of my soul to Satan I also buy something to compensate myself for the pain and suffering.

Note the ephemeral recent bd140 was a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt. That basically meant she could rip people off for a higher fee on consulting  :-DD

Bought something non-TE today after last week's sacrifice but that's for another forum. Got to drive some distance to collect it because it wasn't in stock anywhere else  :popcorn:

So you finally gave up & bought yerself a portable electric vagina, a la Paul Krassner's "Tales of Tongue Fu"...?  :-DD

Perhaps the wiser choice, given your track record with those of the organic kind, and their owners... :o

mnem
I recommend a protective layer of Kapton tape... >:D
Yep, and he'd have to drive to collect that, it'd be just too embarrassing to collect that via public transport  :-[ :-[
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123620 on: June 21, 2022, 09:36:26 am »

Mmmm. Pie...

You, Sir, are a bastard. Now I feel a hankering for pork pie, which must be left tragically unsatisfied!

I think you nailed it perfectly with regard to the pie, that one you can eat and enjoy. But good luck getting one past the German customs , they can smell food from a mile away and they confiscate it as it has not got all the correct documentation with it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 10:35:16 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Online Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123621 on: June 21, 2022, 10:15:53 am »
Check testing the Racal Dana 1998.  Last calibration was in 1991.  I don't have a good reason or funds in the TE budget for calibration.     I did have a few $$$ in the TE budget to buy a  OXCO module from AE.     Spec sheet says it is +/- 200ppb, but I don't exactly trust it.

Was a bit worried I blew the fuse on the B input after  I stuck an antenna inside the MRI scanner RF cage

Still letting things warm up, but it is looking reasonable.    Looking for stability more than absolute accuracy.   

"10" MHz

"80" MHz

Ratio

Sorry for my long absence.   Work, personal situation and inflation left me with no funds and little time for TE as hobby.

In other news, I handed back my BMW i3 in March. Been riding the bus to work for 3 months now.   I did the UK one day motorcycle training course which allows me to ride a 125cc motorcycle with L-Plates.   Honda CB125R on order -- Yes at 61 years old I'm getting my first motorcycle. 

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, mansaxel, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123622 on: June 21, 2022, 10:38:04 am »
Welcome back Andrew_Debbie, glad that you're fit, and well. One thing for sure, your Honda CB125R will not be bringing you home much in the TEA line, so collection will not an option for you.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 10:41:52 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Andrew_Debbie

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123623 on: June 21, 2022, 11:16:26 am »
Check testing the Racal Dana 1998.  Last calibration was in 1991.  I don't have a good reason or funds in the TE budget for calibration.     I did have a few $$$ in the TE budget to buy a  OXCO module from AE.     Spec sheet says it is +/- 200ppb, but I don't exactly trust it.

Was a bit worried I blew the fuse on the B input after  I stuck an antenna inside the MRI scanner RF cage

Still letting things warm up, but it is looking reasonable.    Looking for stability more than absolute accuracy.   

"10" MHz

Sorry for my long absence.   Work, personal situation and inflation left me with no funds and little time for TE as hobby.

In other news, I handed back my BMW i3 in March. Been riding the bus to work for 3 months now.   I did the UK one day motorcycle training course which allows me to ride a 125cc motorcycle with L-Plates.   Honda CB125R on order -- Yes at 61 years old I'm getting my first motorcycle.

Welcome back Andrew ! :D

Don't recognize the background in your pics... have you moved the lab to a different room in the house ? Can't see your cheap very funky chinese bench meters nor cool keyboard either.

Good luck with the bike, stay safe !  :scared:

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123624 on: June 21, 2022, 11:18:19 am »
I need a nice PSU capable of 400A@5V so max 2KW, any suggestion? Must have a GPIB or somthing I can remote control it with a PC and log the data.

EDIT: also 100A@5V could do the job...

Found it...

A little crusty but 6671A yummy

Wow that's scary !  Are you trying to build a super computer solely out of TTL chips or what ?!  :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf