Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16502536 times)

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #123500 on: June 20, 2022, 05:09:54 pm »
On topic, some TE stuff. That 3478 went for £86 plus shipping. Much of the other TE they had listed went unsold, so we can look forward to half priced relists in a day or so.

Test your IR laser with this:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354112785935

Maybe you can test your IR power sensor, with which you test your IR laser, with that thing, but not the laser!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #123501 on: June 20, 2022, 05:10:58 pm »
...we are NOT talking about those machines; I know the difference, man... gimme a fucking break. You're making a straw-man argument here. Completely different class from the ones I serviced regularly, and I specifically stated that. As soon as I said 1.5-5KVA, I KNOW you knew the difference.

Those systems I worked/work on are mostly used used in retail, so aren't going to be the top tier, "failure is not an option" class machines... but even they are not the same class as this decades-old consumer grade unit from CompUSA.

What those classes of deployment use is irrelevant here. That is not appropriate technology for this application. That UPS probably came with a PowerSonic or equivalent Chinesium battery, and spending 40-50 bux on a genuine Yuasa "upgrade" is money wasted in this application.

As for the float charge... I think you need to review that. I know from personal experience that a new known good motorcycle or garden tractor battery used in this application will start to boil in a few days or a week; I've tried it on two different occasions. Shallow-cycle starting batteries do not tolerate constant float-charge the same way that deep-cycle batteries do.

I think you'll find the difference is in fact the IR of the battery... but I don't want to start another shit-flinging match here.  :palm:

mnem
 :-/O

Standard SLAs are not deep cycle. That would be the kind that they use in mobility scooters etc, "traction batteries" I believe they are known as.

I maintain (crap pun, unintended, keeping it anyway) that if your charger is boiling liquid lead acid batteries, it's just set too high. You shouldn't see that kind of reaction unless you're doing an equalisation charge.

My principal point is this: you can spend idk £5-10 on a cheap shit 12V 12Ah battery, that will probably last 6 months, and will probably be actually around half the claimed capacity, or you can spend £30 or so on a decent branded one that has all the chooch it says it does, and it'll last 5+ years. If you tweak the float voltage down to 13.2-13.5 or so, a lot +.

Modern UPSes are a bit more complex and do maintenance on the batteries; the SmartUPS 1500 I have will do load testing for a few seconds every day, and can also be programmed to periodically do a maintenance cycle where it runs off the battery to a specific discharge level.

I doubt the one Vince has is that sophisticated. Point is, no it is not "set too high". It is set appropriately to the battery tech it is designed to use. And even a low trickle charge is not recommended for a starting battery. There's a reason we have smart "automatic maintenance chargers" for your motorcycle and car batteries in storage: They do not apply a float charge; they monitor voltage and charge cyclically.

My main point is being completely overlooked here; which was that trying to use a starting battery with this UPS is simply the wrong kind of battery for this application.

As for your broad, sweeping ridiculously broad generalizations about the quality of Chinesium batteries... :palm:

Come on man. I know the difference. But the prejudices you are repeating here about them are simply outdated rubbish. The Chinese manufacturers own battery technology now. Even their cheapest shite is still more than good enough for this application.

6 months lifetime is just a BS number you literally pulled out of your arse, and I know you know it's BS. The entire world runs on cheap Chinese batteries now, and I never advocated getting the cheapest no-name shite ones; I specified the brands I recommend as I know they are not shite.

Speaking of which, another brand to look for is CSB: They are a Taiwanese manufacturer like Yuasa; by now, possibly even all the same company.  :-//

But they often do come up at prices within a couple dollars of the PowerSonic and ExpertPower when they're getting close to their "best by" date, and those I'll stack up next to brand-new Yuasa any damn day of the week, application for application.

Cheers,

mnem
*juicy*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123502 on: June 20, 2022, 05:12:46 pm »
Has anyone ever seen a calculator like this at all? I can't recall seeing anything like myself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313959676347

looks like the one the predator wore on his wrist.
Ok, now we have a credible explanation for those repulsive '=' calculators. Introduced by evil aliens. Comprehensible to alien minds.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123503 on: June 20, 2022, 05:13:56 pm »
it has not gone away

It never will. We'll get better at dealing with it, both as organisms and organisations of people. But no, it's out there. And that's how it's going to be.

Observation: The same people around a 4-seater table in a danish train (Copenhagen-Hamburg) are not deemed a risk in Denmark, but as soon as Die Bahn takes over in Flensburg, it's Maskenpflicht all over. I knew, having read up and also been to Portugal (where it's mandatory on public transport) so had a box with masks ready. A couple other people (from Sweden) obviously hadn't read the news, and since masks are quite uncommon in Sweden -- only mandated in healthcare at the moment, and never were much mandated apart from there -- they'd sort of forgotten how things are handled in the rest of the world. I and some other people quickly supplied them and all was well. Herr Schaffner was happy. And, of course; there's a story to this, but at the interfaces between systems for managing the epidemic, it becomes sometimes right silly.

I know too little to judge in the matter.

The only thing I'm going to state is that vaccinations are a good thing. As many as possible should take them. There, we have close to 200 years of improving science.
It's interesting when you compare national figures against each other, take the information gleaned from this source https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/28/denmark-the-first-country-to-halt-its-covid-vaccination-program.html  and you can see that the number of recorded cases per million people can show how some countries have handled the virus reaction and suppression better than others.

For instance, on Feb 13th 2022, looking at Denmark, Sweden, UK and New Zealand for example, we can see the following results, form your own opinions.
Denmark 7,970
Sweden   1,540
UK          1,060
New Zealand   99.

Those are just numbers, literally. Until you label them properly they could be "number of people arrested on Feb 13th who were also in possession of a tube of Smarties" as far as we know. Take a virtual thwack across the back of the head with a ruler from my Junior Physics teacher.
Oh no they aren't, these are figures pulled off the interactive chart on the CNBC website that the link refers to and I thought that there would no need to elaborate any more because I already stated the relationship in my post (now coloured to make it stand out more)  :palm:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/28/denmark-the-first-country-to-halt-its-covid-vaccination-program.html

So now you take a virtual thwack across the back of the head with a ruler from my Junior Physics teacher.  :-DD :-DD

Edit: Link added in again as the first link does not working with the colour added to the rest of the message  :rant:

What I said has nothing to do with the source, or authenticity, of the numbers. It is about them literally being just numbers - numbers on their own, with no descriptive labels, units or anything to tell us what the numbers are  of or for. You don't say if those numbers are deaths, total number of infections, daily new infections or daily consumption of doughnuts.

Go and stand in the corner for the rest of the lesson, and later in detention take 200 lines "I must label graph axes and write a description and units next to all of my results". Also report to the English teacher for a refresher on what "literally" means so that you understand it next time someone uses it correctly.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123504 on: June 20, 2022, 05:22:15 pm »
Coffee table ornament?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265740767106

[/img]
[/size][/b]

Isn't that a photo of the inside of Robert's second "garage"?  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123505 on: June 20, 2022, 05:24:26 pm »
Coffee table ornament?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265740767106

[/img]
[/size][/b]

Isn't that a photo of the inside of Robert's second "garage"?  :)

That reminds me of another great YT channel: The WTF:

https://youtu.be/a4PwAndNQmE

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123506 on: June 20, 2022, 05:28:31 pm »
Uggh... that's grim. It was similar over here.  :-[

Whole towns around Pittsburgh literally dried up & blew away; the only thing left in McKeesport when we moved to Mt Lebanon was the local gin mill with a few old połocks grumbling aboot how "things will be better once we get the damned mills open again..." No concept of how that was to happen, of course...

Cerebus...? Do you recall what it felt like when the unions died?

mnem
*pulls up a rug & just listens*

Unions are basically suicide cults.

10 Watch the train strike over the next few days.
20 Then watch the commuters decline and work from home.
30 Then watch the rail companies cut service and staff.
40 GOTO 10

There should be a better way.

There is. Pay the staff a decent wage, don't fuck them over with hire-and-fire contracts to cut back their pay/benefits/conditions, don't force compulsory redundancies on them while paying top managers large bonuses, and don't claim to be negotiating while basically refusing to change your position at all.

I think we're all looking at the past through shite-colored glasses here; at least in the US, unions were mostly not nearly as bad as the media painted them to be.

As with all localized power bases, there were a few bad actors; but overall, unions were and are still the only leverage a working class citizen has against the tyranny of the bean-counters. Demonizing them all in the way bd139* did right there is as unreasonable as the current situation where every worker has to justify his very existence to the likes of Ebenezer Scrooge. :palm:

Like it or not, the only way the working classes are going get a fair shake is by supporting unions (or some similar collective-bargaining machine)  and making sure they don't get taken over by the local mafia. Very few of us have that "very particular set of skills" which makes one unique and irreplaceable such that one can demand a living wage. The rest of us need to band together, otherwise each and every one of us becomes just a guy with a broom trying to sweep back the tide...

mnem
*toddles off to fondle his knobs* The ones I just printed, you pervs.   >:D

* Sorry, C... corrected now. Please put away the conversational cutlery...  :scared:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 05:35:30 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123507 on: June 20, 2022, 05:29:02 pm »
Am I correct in assuming that all mechanical telephone exchanges have been taken off line?
Once we had an especially cool exchange here in Mannheim. It was partially EMD (very fast,motor-driven selectors) and partially conventional steppers and it had a glass front from the floor up. One could really lose time standing in front of it, especially when there were maintenance works going on.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #123508 on: June 20, 2022, 05:30:14 pm »
@Vince,

Please can you refrain from calling Med or Papa Smurf, Allinson, he doesn't like it  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Yeah, he prefers Shirley.  >:D

Huh? WTF am I missing here? :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123510 on: June 20, 2022, 05:49:44 pm »
...There should be a better way.

There is. Pay the staff a decent wage, don't fuck them over with hire-and-fire contracts to cut back their pay/benefits/conditions, don't force compulsory redundancies on them while paying top managers large bonuses, and don't claim to be negotiating while basically refusing to change your position at all.
Perhaps people should stop voting for this then  :-//

This country is full of retards. Also see my edit. Unions are as regressive as the current situation. Legal situation and legislation is the problem. And you aren’t going to fix that without education, legal professionals and political interest.

And now we've come full-circle. The only way you're going to get that happening is with some form of collective-bargaining machine. So what do we do...? Admit the average citizen really needs a union of some sort, or "rebrand" the word union into something else so the soulless minions of orthodoxy can demonize that as well? How do average citizens who can't afford to buy representation in those circles get any redress? :-//

mnem
*steps back from the brink*

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #123511 on: June 20, 2022, 05:55:24 pm »
Just received this with TEM (The embedded muse by Jack Ganssle):

Sorry, but I don't get the point - anyone here difficulties to understand this?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 05:58:55 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139, ch_scr, AVGresponding

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123512 on: June 20, 2022, 05:59:08 pm »
5440 update: <snip> Bedtime or thereabouts now, will ponder on through the week.

Now have nice A3 printouts of the Artek-supplied schematics. This will improve work.
That's indispensable even !  ;D   I have plan to try and get an old cheap A3 B&W printer solely for that very purpose ! In the mean time I make do with A4 size, or if I am well motivated, two A4 sheets taped together...

Pffft! A3 size is for those who don't know how to leverage the corporate machine. Artek scans are usually of sufficient resolution to blow up to 18" x 24" or even 24" x 36" poster size at your local KINKO's or equivalent. I got the 18" x 24" done on large-format laser printer from my local FEDEX depot when I was working on my Tek 2230 more than a decade ago... cost me $2/sheet on plain paper, and schematics were crisp & clean as a new dollar bill.  :-+

More than worth the assache.

mnem
 :-BROKE

Ther is a OCE A0 printer/plotter/scanner on my local trash nothing group. If only I had somewhere to put it.....

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #123513 on: June 20, 2022, 06:00:30 pm »
Point is, no it is not "set too high". It is set appropriately to the battery tech it is designed to use.

LMFAO no they aren't. They're designed to give absolute maximum run time at the expense of battery service life, which co-incidentally makes more profit for the servicing arms of the companies that make them. Sorry, did I say "co-incidentally"? I meant "in a usefully exploitative fashion".

And even a low trickle charge is not recommended for a starting battery. There's a reason we have smart "automatic maintenance chargers" for your motorcycle and car batteries in storage: They do not apply a float charge; they monitor voltage and charge cyclically.

Again, no, not really. Before smart chargers there were dumb trickle chargers, which worked fine, but did not make enough profit for the charger manufacturers because they had no "smart technology". Cycling batteries uses up their lifespan, period.

My main point is being completely overlooked here; which was that trying to use a starting battery with this UPS is simply the wrong kind of battery for this application.

Yes, it is, but it'll work at a pinch, and won't damage the battery.

As for your broad, sweeping ridiculously broad generalizations about the quality of Chinesium batteries... :palm:

Cheap batteries are cheap batteries; I make no apology for using the modern meme name for them. Some come from places other than mainland China to be sure.

6 months lifetime is just a BS number you literally pulled out of your arse, and I know you know it's BS. The entire world runs on cheap Chinese batteries now, and I never advocated getting the cheapest no-name shite ones; I specified the brands I recommend as I know they are not shite.

I pulled it out of the air, an exaggeration for effect but fine. It's not BS, the lifespan of cheap batteries is lower than good quality ones. I collated considerable information from our installations over several years; sadly the information was passed on to my successor who did not understand the relevance and "lost" it.

Speaking of which, another brand to look for is CSB: They are a Taiwanese manufacturer like Yuasa; by now, possibly even all the same company.  :-//

I don't didn't have data on CSB though am aware of them. I usually differentiate between mainland China and Taiwan when it comes to quality, as there usually is a significant one. Some manufacturers may be closing the gap, but from what I've seen that's the exception rather than the rule.

But they often do come up at prices within a couple dollars of the PowerSonic and ExpertPower when they're getting close to their "best by" date, and those I'll stack up next to brand-new Yuasa any damn day of the week, application for application.

Cheers,

mnem
*juicy*

ExpertPower I am not aware of, but PowerSonic I do know, and they fit in the 60% bracket for me. 60% of the price, 60% of the capacity (well, a bit more than that but still not as high), and 60% of the lifespan.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Robert763

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123514 on: June 20, 2022, 06:07:09 pm »

mnem
*mutters to self* "Nope, nope, nope... not worth it..." *Smiles and waves*
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 06:22:15 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123515 on: June 20, 2022, 06:12:24 pm »

Fuzzy as a bruin's balls, that is. Pay the money for a scan from Artek, then print it out on 24" x 36" poster size...  :-DD

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123516 on: June 20, 2022, 06:19:56 pm »
I was jess a senseless teenager then, tho I do still remember comedic assertions that Reagan and Thatcher were the respective male/females clones of Mussolini more than once for their union-busting jihads. Which do you suppose infected the other...? How bad was it over there back then...?

I'm just curious how it felt from a "sitting around the pub for a brew" perspective... not the political crap. Was it really as obvious over there what was being stolen away as it was over here?

mnem
*historical theater*

Some of the unions had gone power mad. They'd diverted from their reasonable and legitimate job of defending their members to becoming hubs of political power in and off themselves. Even in their legitimate place, they had gone from protecting workers from managerial greed or malfeasance to controlling whole industries.

I had personal experience of this. I used to help run a small print shop that was part of the student union. We weren't a 'print union shop'  despite being being unionised in a non-print union in a "post-entry closed shop" (i.e. To work there you had to be a member of the staff union, but you could start working there as long as you joined the union after starting). So, unionised up to the hilt - staff in the closed-shop staff union who were themselves working for a union.

If we wanted to get something printed that was beyond the physical capabilities of our print machines we had to send it out to another printers. If that printers was unionised, with the printers either members of SOGAT or the NGA, they would not accept work from us (unionised to the hilt remember, but not in a print union) unless the the artwork we sent them was from another SOGAT or NGA unionised shop with an official union stamp or sticker on the back of the artwork. We had a mate (Wolfie) who ran his own commercial printshop as a one man business who was an NGA member (business owner, father of chapel [NGA shop steward] and sole branch member all rolled into one person) precisely to get around the union cartel in the printing world. For an occasional drink, he used to stick his NGA stamp on the back of any artwork we wanted to send out to a (different) unionised shop.

So basically that situation was insanity across a whole industry just because the union had let power go to their heads, and the rest of the world had let them get away with it.

On the other hand, the Thatcher government had a doctrinaire loathing of the mere existence of unions. There were excesses, just as I've illustrated, that needed kerbing, but Thatcher el al merely used that as an excuse to do their damnedest to get as close to eradicating unions as they could get away with.

So fault, and excess, on both sides. Two immovable forces both determined to move each other, what could go wrong? Meantime, the general public suffered while the unions and government fought it out in public with coal, steel, firemen, power, transport and teachers strikes called left right and centre as tactics in a fight to retain power, and the police misused to suppress them at every opportunity (I have credible reports from people I trust, and who were there, of the police using agent provocateurs to start violence at otherwise boisterous but peaceful pickets).

In the late 70s the unions had set themselves up for a fall, Thatcher et al took advantage of that and took the fight beyond a "reasonable victory" to as close to genocide as they could get away with. The loser was the unions, weakened by successive governments. The ultimate losers are ordinary working folks, where the power of the unions has been weakened by law to the point where it is difficult for them to be effective. There was a time where almost every blue collar, and many white collar, workers were members of a union, now union membership is comparatively rare.

Ironically, there is a national rail strike called for tomorrow.

This is exactly what I was looking for... A sincere thank you for taking the time to write so eloquently about it.  :clap:

That is very much the feeling I remember when I was in High School (in a very yuppie neighborhood); they literally bludgeoned us even in school with propaganda demonizing all unions.  :palm:

But right next door in the older predominantly Jewish neighborhoods where I used to go to the park to play, there would be older/retiree mommalas and poppalas who regularly told stories of the war (to make sure the next generation didn't forget) and they too warned over and over to make sure we knew that unions were not the enemy, but rather that mindless obedience to propaganda was the true enemy.

*sigh*

Ideas are the hardest kind of viral infection to eradicate... for good or evil, that condition is probably the single thing which makes us different from the animals... :o

mnem
Well, that and stand-up comedy. :-DD

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123517 on: June 20, 2022, 06:20:43 pm »
On topic, some TE stuff. That 3478 went for £86 plus shipping. Much of the other TE they had listed went unsold, so we can look forward to half priced relists in a day or so.

Maybe you can test your IR power sensor, with which you test your IR laser, with that thing, but not the laser!

Or maybe not as it has a big  BER label.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123518 on: June 20, 2022, 06:21:05 pm »

Some ebay spots, maybe something for would be Ferengi here:

...snip...

Cheap (for now) counter:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295048808057

Note: it's missing the crystal oven option, that was originally fitted.

Another HP counter, maybe? Wonder what happened to the original front panel, surely this is a replacement?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125376931629

This is explained in the description, it had been dropped on the BNC & this broke the front panel, it was repaired 20 years ago.

David

The following users thanked this post: bd139, AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123519 on: June 20, 2022, 06:25:09 pm »

Whole towns around Pittsburgh literally dried up & blew away; the only thing left in McKeesport when we moved to Mt Lebanon was the local gin mill with a few old połocks grumbling aboot how "things will be better once we get the damned mills open again..." No concept of how that was to happen, of course...

mnem

40 GOTO 10

This country is full of retards.

Also see my edit. Unions are as regressive as the current situation. Legal situation and legislation is the problem. And you aren’t going to fix that without education, legal professionals and political interest.
That's the problem, this party come out with all kinds of promises designed to win votes and those idiots with short memories go and vote for them and then complain when the party breaks all of their promises and when the next GE comes around, the cycle repeats itself because people fall for the lies all over again  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #123520 on: June 20, 2022, 06:28:05 pm »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123521 on: June 20, 2022, 06:32:56 pm »
Chinese Tester Time.

When the components leads are too big or too far apart to fit into the ZIF socket... what do you do...

So far I made do with grabbing 3 Dupont wires, shoving them in the socket, then grab 3 crocodile test leads and connected them to the Dupont wire.

This was not very convenient... takes time to set up, wires are way too long, it's a mess on the bench that takes way too much space, looks crap and wires just catch on stuff whe I drop stuff around the bench.
And it takes time to dismantle and put stuff back into the drawer.

So... after 6 month of hard R&D work and many prototypes, testing, qualifying, quality control etc.. I have finally just come up with that state of the art revolutionary solution.
Soon for sale for only 150 Euros + 50 Euros shipping.

Had bought some grabbers a fdew years ago, never used them... cheap Ebay stuff.... they look and feel very cheap, but they do the job  :-//
Still, when I am rich I think I will replace them with better quality ones. That must exist somewhere, I guess.

Now the cable is short, much more "manageable" both on the bench and once stored in the drawer.
One piece cable, and devoted to the tester, which means set up time is much reduced. Cable can just stay plugged in the tester at all times. Grab the tester... cable is already htere ready to use. Don't need it ? just open the ZIF socket and pull the cable out.

It makes my life so much better, I love this little cable... and it took only a few minutes to do. Well worth it....

Obviously designing and building such a tremendously advanced piece,  has blown my neuron budget for the next 20 years, so not much will happen in the lab for a while now...

You solder your 3 leads onto a 3 pin .1" header which fits into the ZIF socket perfectly.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123522 on: June 20, 2022, 06:40:21 pm »

mnem

40 GOTO 10

This country is full of retards.

Also see my edit. Unions are as regressive as the current situation. Legal situation and legislation is the problem. And you aren’t going to fix that without education, legal professionals and political interest.
That's the problem, this party come out with all kinds of promises designed to win votes and those idiots with short memories go and vote for them and then complain when the party breaks all of their promises and when the next GE comes around, the cycle repeats itself because people fall for the lies all over again  :palm:

Which is my point. The only answer is to replace them one way or another. But politics this is and we should probably chill out on that front really.

Anyhoo so I just spent the last few hours playing with redesigning the scope ball bouncer I threw together a couple of years back. But only on paper so far as all the stuff is packed away. The effort on this revision is to build a version of it only using 2n3904, 2n3906, 1n4148, E6 value resistors and one value of capacitor only. Wonder if I will succeed  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123523 on: June 20, 2022, 06:40:49 pm »

Or maybe not as it has a big  BER label.

Back in the day you could buy one of these at Radio Shank for like $7; you hold it up to a fluorescent light or even better, white LED flashlight to "charge it up" and you could "see" the IR of your remote control in the window. Now they want $100-200 for the same thing...?  :wtf:

There is a similar thing made of ceramic on fleaBay now; tho I'd be concerned about using any of these things with any LASER without fully-certified eye protection... :o

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=ir+detection+card&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=ir+alignment+card&_osacat=0

mnem
 :-//

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123524 on: June 20, 2022, 06:42:37 pm »

Fuzzy as a bruin's balls, that is. Pay the money for a scan from Artek, then print it out on 24" x 36" poster size...  :-DD

mnem

In the past, when my large format plotter was working, I have been known to print some schematics out in A1 size.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al, srb1954

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf