Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16869359 times)

tggzzz, dxl, TERRA Operative and 182 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #123400 on: June 19, 2022, 09:22:58 pm »
welcome to 4937.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #123401 on: June 19, 2022, 09:37:07 pm »
as for nutria, they damage our dams which protect us against the raging see and the storm surges.
we can't have that, so we sacrifice them to John Moses Browning

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123402 on: June 19, 2022, 09:50:27 pm »
welcome to 4937.

Was ok until you disgraced it with that TI  :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123403 on: June 19, 2022, 09:59:29 pm »
welcome to 4937.

“Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.” —Confucius
free range primate

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #123404 on: June 19, 2022, 10:03:16 pm »
5440 update:

I've gotten a trace! Again. But, still, only if I select Single Sweep. Auto Trigger won't cut it.

I can observe the waveform from the vertical plugin at the input of the trig source selector switch. The terminations are OK, and the selector switch does its thing. I've spent some more time with contact cleaner on all the switches. I'm bent to thinking that the rest of the signal chain is sort-of-working, since I can use the signal from the vert plugin to trig. Albeit through standing on my head and singing the Marseillaise (eh, I mean "single sweep") . Bedtime or thereabouts now, will ponder on through the week.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123405 on: June 19, 2022, 10:06:32 pm »
welcome to 4937.

Clearly you have beer goggles on  :popcorn:

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123406 on: June 19, 2022, 10:20:55 pm »
welcome to 4937.

we probably don't want to go down this path.   you know what happens if med gets into it.  (stripper alert!!!!)
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #123407 on: June 19, 2022, 10:25:39 pm »
as for nutria, they damage our dams which protect us against the raging see and the storm surges.

"Nutria" makes me think of a food supplement for the elderly or feebleminded[1].  Shades of soylent green.

Something like

[1] e.g.those that eat blue-green algae pond scum, because it is promoted as natural.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123408 on: June 19, 2022, 11:03:40 pm »
welcome to 4937.

Well, you can't even call that a calculator regardless of what make or type it is unless at least 45 buttons  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139, nixiefreqq

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #123409 on: June 19, 2022, 11:18:36 pm »
welcome to 4937.

we probably don't want to go down this path.   you know what happens if med gets into it.  (stripper alert!!!!)

No worries. She retired and burned her g-string.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, nixiefreqq

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123410 on: June 19, 2022, 11:19:31 pm »
DIODES

1H20 AM, I am finally done  organizing my diodes, after spending countless hours identifying them and downloading datasheets.

Deciding how to organize them is even more difficult, because you need to make choices.... identifying them is a chore and takes forever, but it's somehow relaxing, there are no choices to be made, no stress... you just go through them one by one and that's all.

Anyway, tried to compromise as always between putting them all in one big bag... no, or using up an entire drawer unit, nope either.

So at the end the compromise was two plastic boxes and only 4 drawers.

The small axial stuff bagged, in the plastic containers, with a few cardboard dividers to help of course :

Box #1
- Small Signal
- Germanium
- Zener < 10V
- Zener >= 10V

Box #2
- Rectification <= 1A
- Rectification > 1A
- Fast Avalanche
- Schottky

Drawers, sorted by prefix

#1 : 1 , 1N 
#2 : BY , F 
#3 : G , D , S
#4 : NO ID, couldn't find neither a datasheet nor even basic specs in a short form catalog.

Spreadsheet below.

Retrospectively, I kinda enjoyed searching all that... reading all these datasheet, old and modern, about all kinds of diodes of all kinds of ratings...

- You get a feel for what parameters are typical for each type, ballpark.

- You get to learn about old manufacturers long defunct, or still alive but that you never had heard before.

- You get to see all the BS in the datasheets, and how marketing sometimes appears to be writing the datasheet rather than the technical people. Most notably the overwhelming use of the buzz word " ULTRA FAST " diodes. Used and abused, so much so that it doesn't mean anything anymore and I stopped taking any notice of it. It's just a marketing buzzword nothing more... It looks like the marketing dept were all very afraid that if you didn't put "ULTRA FAST "on the cover page, nobody would buy your diodes....  It's so bad that even a big name like Vishay, no less, in one datasheet, stated in huge bold characters ULTRA FAST at the top of the datasheet and..... nowhere in the datasheet does it tell you how fast it is  !! :palm:   Engineers don't need to know... buying dept bought some "ULTRA FAST" diodes, surely they should be alright  !  :palm:

- You get to learn what kind of part number is out there, and how they are "formed", how different manufacturers code parameters into their part numbers, there is variety out there.

BUT !!!!    But.... by far the most useful thing I got out of all this, spending so many hours researching diodes... is that I will never.. never... never misspell freaking SCHOTTKY ever again !!!!  :-DD  Oh boy, was worth it just for that !

« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 11:24:25 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, cyclin_al, m k

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123411 on: June 19, 2022, 11:21:05 pm »
Just a reminder to you all that even though some Governments are not even discussing Covid (certainly true for the UK  :palm:) it has not gone away is now making a comeback with a rise of over 45% of cases since the Queens Jubilee. I hope that you are still wearing face masks when in shops and other crowded places etc?

This weekend, it has presented itself in the middle of the family, my 2 Sister in Laws went to see Pretty Woman the musical at the Savoy Theatre in London last week and this weekend is suffering badly with Covid. SWMBO has been running around like a headless chicken, going shopping for her Sister and also her elderly mum etc. I know for a fact that SIL has not been wearing her mask because she says that it's gone away otherwise it would be all over the news etc.  :o :o
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neper

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #123412 on: June 19, 2022, 11:35:32 pm »
We didn't bother with masks for 3 full and 2 setting up days at EMEX.
Prob ~50% of visitors wore them but very few exhibitors did.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123413 on: June 19, 2022, 11:37:33 pm »
DIODES

No 1N4148 in the high power listings ?  :-//

They CAN handle 20A for a few us.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #123414 on: June 19, 2022, 11:40:51 pm »
it has not gone away

It never will. We'll get better at dealing with it, both as organisms and organisations of people. But no, it's out there. And that's how it's going to be.

Observation: The same people around a 4-seater table in a danish train (Copenhagen-Hamburg) are not deemed a risk in Denmark, but as soon as Die Bahn takes over in Flensburg, it's Maskenpflicht all over. I knew, having read up and also been to Portugal (where it's mandatory on public transport) so had a box with masks ready. A couple other people (from Sweden) obviously hadn't read the news, and since masks are quite uncommon in Sweden -- only mandated in healthcare at the moment, and never were much mandated apart from there -- they'd sort of forgotten how things are handled in the rest of the world. I and some other people quickly supplied them and all was well. Herr Schaffner was happy. And, of course; there's a story to this, but at the interfaces between systems for managing the epidemic, it becomes sometimes right silly.

I know too little to judge in the matter.

The only thing I'm going to state is that vaccinations are a good thing. As many as possible should take them. There, we have close to 200 years of improving science.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123415 on: June 19, 2022, 11:48:45 pm »
DIODES

:-DD

No. If you want to play that game, then I will point out that the "Beefy" ones can do 800Amps surge !!  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123416 on: June 19, 2022, 11:52:39 pm »
DIODES

No. If you want to play that game, then I will point out that the "Beefy" ones can do 800Amps surge !!  :-DD
Yep I also thought that funny when my EE lecturer mate told me that.  :)
He had some students do an exercise to find the limits of what a 1N4148 could do and that's what they proved however not known is which part of the world was where they were sourced from.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123417 on: June 19, 2022, 11:57:51 pm »
According to the datasheet I have got, they are rated at 2A surge, for 1us.

So 20 amps is quite a stretch, good diodes they were indeed !  :-DD

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #123418 on: June 20, 2022, 12:18:30 am »
I live in the hottest part of the UK and our local record is 38.1oC. Hit 34oC yesterday and that wasn’t even really bothering me.

But 41, fuck that  :-DD

Yea it's bad. Makes me wonder how pioneers could take it without ice water or AC. But then they couldn't wish for better because it didn't exist so its just reality. I don't think we'd survive very long if went went back in time being spoiled as we are.  :-\

Yeah I always consider the moment that America goes down the shitter will be when there is no AC for some reason or another. It'll start with the Karens and finish with the Cleetuses  :-DD

It'll probably be initiated by someone firing up their Tek tube scope collection all at one time  :-DD

I've heard it said, only slightly tongue in cheek, that A/C made the South USA inhabitable.

But the USA is a land of surprises. Until the early 20th century there was a thriving trade exporting ice from New England to the Caribbean and even as far as India. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_trade

In Tejas, AC is no luxury; it's survival gear for sure... There's a reason it's called the "Energy Corridor", and not just the oil that used to be there.  :o

mnem
 :phew:

All week here in Flori-DUH, temps have been in the 90's F with a heat index well into the 100's.  Mrs GreyWoolfe read something on FB saying it's the sun rubbing its balls across the state.  Thank God for AC.  We had our 7.9 KW solar panel system installed last weekend, waiting for the energy company to come and install a 2 way meter.  After that, city inspection and then the system gets turned on.  Looking at the desktop panel, it is 8:17 pm and still 83 F.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123419 on: June 20, 2022, 12:42:01 am »
I guess that's the positive side of things... the very hot states in the US are also those with lots of sun, so you can use solar energy to power the A/C, so it balances out, you consumer the energy that you produce...

Today (yesterday ? Am losing it...) heard on the news here that in some US state literally thousands of cows died because of the sun, all in one day...   :scared:

Farmers said it's usual for a HANDFUL to die because of too much heat, but thousands, even they were astonished....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 12:45:16 am by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #123420 on: June 20, 2022, 01:31:33 am »
...Thanks everyone for the info on how these things work. I can now button it back up and move on to the next item in the list...

Not quite... I know you may already know this, but just in case you don't; these things are designed to use a deep-cycle battery, which has a bit higher IR than your car/motorcycle starting battery there, and the float charge it puts across the battery terminals can cook a starting battery to death.

Once you're back among the gainfully employed, you'll want to invest in a SLA/GMA battery of similar capacity to the one you took out of the thing. Or maybe one small enuf to fit inside.  ;)

Cheers!

mnem

In point of fact a liquid lead acid such as a car battery handles the float voltage of an average UPS just fine; it's lower than the float voltage of a car charger system (usually around 13.8V as opposed to 14.4V for a normal 6-cell battery). The main problem with using a liquid lead acid is you'll get increased corrosion since these things are designed to use SLA batteries which don't really spit much acid out unless you heavily abuse them.
If you want to extend the life of an SLA if you get one for it, make sure your float is 13.2-13.6V, unless you keep the battery in the fridge... in which case 13.8V is fine. Try not to get a cheap Chinesium SLA, they aren't that much cheaper than a decent brand like Yuasa or Hawker Siddeley, or Haze, but they use badly recycled lead and tend to have very much shorter lifespans, very much less capacity, and very much higher ESR.

Try hooking a small-med starting battery to a UPS. You'll hear it boiling in a week or two. Car starting... maybe okay due to the mass. But you'll damage the starting battery if you let it run deep-discharge more than a few times.

As for Chinesium batteries... I've been buying ExpertPower and PowerSonic for myself for decades, and seen both brands used by major players for refits on UPSes from 1500VA to 5000VA. They cost ~1/2 of that Yuasa (if genuine)... and Yuasa (Taiwan) gets their lead from recycling plants in China, same as the rest of the world.

Cheers,

mnem
 :-//
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 01:34:40 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123421 on: June 20, 2022, 01:37:25 am »

"Nutria" makes me think of a food supplement for the elderly or feebleminded[1].  Shades of soylent green.

Something like   

[1] e.g.those that eat blue-green algae pond scum, because it is promoted as natural.

*adds another item to the shopping list*

mnem
Hey, I'm low on Soylent Green. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #123422 on: June 20, 2022, 01:48:03 am »
An auction score from the FB group Old Tek Scopes. He didn't state how much in total he paid but he did state that the plug-in's were as little as $8/each. Given the total it still adds up to a significant chunk of change but the total amount of gear is unreal.  :o 

And I thought two Type 547's, five plug-in's and two carts for $200 was a score.   ::) ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, Brumby, Cubdriver, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau, Zoli, m k, Peter_O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123423 on: June 20, 2022, 01:50:19 am »
Well, fuck-a-doodle. Looks like another SK sale, ehhh?

mnem
 :-\

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123424 on: June 20, 2022, 01:52:28 am »
DIODES

Yep I also thought that funny when my EE lecturer mate told me that.  :)
He had some students do an exercise to find the limits of what a 1N4148 could do and that's what they proved however not known is which part of the world was where they were sourced from.  :horse:

Well, there's gonna be quite a difference between "rated survivable surge current" and "What can we measure while blowing it into a puff of smoke...?" surge current...  :-DD

mnem
 :-/O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf