Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16666324 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #122875 on: June 14, 2022, 10:46:12 pm »
Now you're seeing the effects of the "instability" I was talking about when I posted the not-politics that got me spanked a while back.  ;)

For certain groups of people, anything newsworthy means "ka-ching!"

mnem
that is all.  :-X
Oh I caught that back hand, loud and clear.
Extra spank for both of you, please cut it out.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, tggzzz, Brumby, bd139, DC1MC, nixiefreqq, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, Neper

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #122876 on: June 14, 2022, 11:03:47 pm »
Sometimes I force myself to remember this classic XKCD

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, YurkshireLad, Neper

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122877 on: June 14, 2022, 11:51:23 pm »
Then please kiss it and make it better.  ;D

:-DD

Not for all the TEA in China, not even with your lips.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122878 on: June 15, 2022, 12:02:29 am »
Meanwhile, in other news, I just watched the latest Batman film with my 2 youngest grown up sons, and although it was 3 hours long, it never seemed that long, so that means it must be pretty good then I guess?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122879 on: June 15, 2022, 12:04:52 am »
OK, so it's not about me. Fine. But it's apparent that.....first.....you're still butt hurt that you got called out and threatened with a banning concerning your political BS. And second....you'll dance around that threat and still try to post political shit as you are here. I should be an asshole and report it but I won't. Why? Because there's only room for one asshole on this forum.     
:palm:

Actually no... because again it's not all about you. This is the first time that I've known that you complained, ya manky git.  :o Suspected, sure. But not known.

What I was trying to do is to bring around the non-political part of that original discussion, because the posts about the cost of petrol made it relevant. Again, not just the ones you made, but rather the fact that many of us were talking about it.

If anybody here is butt-hurt, it's you. And you have nobody to blame except yourself.

mnem

That might just be worse than that picture of the 80 year old stripper  :o :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122880 on: June 15, 2022, 12:12:21 am »
Heads up for Brits living in or close to Highbridge, Somerset, you might want to jump on these quickly, I would personally would but way too far away for me.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/2-sonartron-digital-valve-voltmeters-and-3-avometers/1434901970
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122881 on: June 15, 2022, 12:21:00 am »
Heads up for Brits living in or close to Highbridge, Somerset, you might want to jump on these quickly, I would personally would but way too far away for me.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/2-sonartron-digital-valve-voltmeters-and-3-avometers/1434901970

I have already been in contact :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122882 on: June 15, 2022, 12:24:20 am »

Did you get them or what?
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122883 on: June 15, 2022, 12:28:08 am »

The seller is busy tomorrow (oops today).

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #122884 on: June 15, 2022, 12:30:42 am »
OK, so it's not about me. Fine. But it's apparent that.....first.....you're still butt hurt that you got called out and threatened with a banning concerning your political BS. And second....you'll dance around that threat and still try to post political shit as you are here. I should be an asshole and report it but I won't. Why? Because there's only room for one asshole on this forum.     
:palm:

Actually no... because again it's not all about you. This is the first time that I've known that you complained, ya manky git.  :o Suspected, sure. But not known.

What I was trying to do is to bring around the non-political part of that original discussion, because the posts about the cost of petrol made it relevant. Again, not just the ones you made, but rather the fact that many of us were talking about it.

If anybody here is butt-hurt, it's you. And you have nobody to blame except yourself.

mnem

That might just be worse than that picture of the 80 year old stripper  :o :palm:

No, I've NEVER seen anything worse than the geriatric stripper.   :o  (And please, you clowns, DON'T take that as a challenge - it's simply an observation.   :P )

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122885 on: June 15, 2022, 12:35:55 am »

The seller is busy tomorrow (oops today).
So does that mean that you haven't sealed the deal yet then  :o Well worth taking a risk on IMO, quick before someone else beats you to it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #122886 on: June 15, 2022, 12:55:02 am »
Tastes wonderful  8)

*airlifts Vince a big box of Cornflakes and bananas to go with*

mnem
 8)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #122887 on: June 15, 2022, 01:06:45 am »
Well, while y'all are throwing your toys at each other and checking out gnome arse, I'm off to Akihabara to buy electronics crap. :P

And I'll drive there in my hybrid, burning fuel and electrons so everyone can be equally (un)happy!  :-DD

"Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either..."
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 01:36:59 am by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, syau

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #122888 on: June 15, 2022, 01:37:45 am »
Now you're seeing the effects of the "instability" I was talking about when I posted the not-politics that got me spanked a while back.  ;)

For certain groups of people, anything newsworthy means "ka-ching!"

mnem
that is all.  :-X
Oh I caught that back hand, loud and clear.
Extra spank for both of you, please cut it out.
What an opportunity to use some of the stashed emoji from the Supporter board....

Those 2:

Then what to do about them ?  

Remedy, 1 dose for each:

OR

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122889 on: June 15, 2022, 02:04:41 am »
While I do appreciate the irony of being bitch-slapped with my own emojis... I do have to say just once: I'm really getting tired of being blamed for it when med decides to be a dick to me. If I let it slide, he gets away with it. If I call him on it, then I get blamed for it just as bad as him. It's a lose-lose situation for me.

I really thought we were better than the usual 12-year-old playground politics of Furkbook and the like.

Cheers,

mnem
I'm all out of pithy comments.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122890 on: June 15, 2022, 02:33:14 am »
From the "It's a Metaphor for Life, Stupid" Dept...

"The best part of waking up... is FUCK YOU! in my cup!" ;)

mnem
It's hard work being this snarky; but I have a lot of Karma to burn off.   >:D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 02:59:10 am by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #122891 on: June 15, 2022, 02:38:51 am »
While I do appreciate the irony of being bitch-slapped with my own emojis... I do have to say just once: I'm really getting tired of being blamed for it when med decides to be a dick to me. If I let it slide, he gets away with it. If I call him on it, then I get blamed for it just as bad as him. It's a lose-lose situation for me.

I really thought we were better than the usual 12-year-old playground politics of Furkbook and the like.

Cheers,

mnem
I'm all out of pithy comments.

You got the same PM as I did from the boss to knock it off. I am complying. Apparently you can't let go.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122892 on: June 15, 2022, 02:43:01 am »
 :palm:   If you were complying, you'd have kept yer mouth shut.

mnem
Please. Just stop.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 02:55:30 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122893 on: June 15, 2022, 02:54:53 am »
Well, while y'all are throwing your toys at each other and checking out gnome arse, I'm off to Akihabara to buy electronics crap. :P

And I'll drive there in my hybrid, burning fuel and electrons so everyone can be equally (un)happy!  :-DD

"Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either..."

Thanks for the diversion. May the EV gods smile upon your journey and make it fruitful. ;)

mnem
"Look up there! A giant coffee cup! Oh dear..." ~diversionary tactic FAIL

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #122894 on: June 15, 2022, 03:01:01 am »
That reminds me of the time I had to go stick some ram in a box in a data centre. As it was fully managed we found out when we got there all they had was telecoms racks and there was a huge pile of DL380’s stacked on top of each other. Mine was at the bottom. We jacked 9 machines up carefully with 4 people and a pile of Oreilly books and slid the node out carefully while everything was live.

It can be done  :-DD

As someone who's day job is in a datacenter, I feel this.

A sneaky peek at some of the shit that exists out there..... last week I had to lift a couple of live Juniper (crap!) routers up in the racks to fit servers underneath, while live and serving traffic. A couple years of connections, disconnections and general 'not my job' fuckery...
This one isn't a big router by any stretch of the imagination (we have some DWDM's and stuff that are serving in the terabit range now), but basically each port is a 100G connection.

(With a co-worker expressing the general sentiment at the whole situation... :D )

So, if you come to Tokyo and download your WiniOS updates, Netflix, whatevers, etc, etc and it's nice and fast, you're welcome. If it's slow, don't blame me, I've already knocked off for the day!  :-DD

That is impressive stack of hardware!

At the home level, I have a chance to look at some Cisco 7301, TP-Link TL-R600VPN and Juniper SRX240.  Any recommendations on these?

The real reason for visiting this particular seller is for HPAK E3611A and E3612A PSUs.  (I already have a E3610A).
It could be dangerous to the budget, as they also have a Rosenberger 32W100-016 RF Connector Torque Wrench, and some GPS timing antennae, plus others.
We will see what I come home with...

I will probably spend far more than what I made from selling off the tractor forklift attachment ...  :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122895 on: June 15, 2022, 03:13:41 am »
Are you looking specifically for these because super-clean power?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294822687771

For you or anyone looking for PSUs in this range... (0-60V @2A, +5V fixed @3A) I've been eyeballing this one from Alltest for a while, but just can't seem to make myself pull the trigger as I have so many such bricks, including my Lambdas. If HP quality isn't the primary concern, this might be a good one to look at; I'm not personally familiar with the brand, but a quick Gurrgle indicates it's considerably underpriced at $40 + S/H.

They also have a number of them that are much shinier and supposedly tested for $100 ea +S/H: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144419028066

mnem
*too juicy*
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 03:23:56 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #122896 on: June 15, 2022, 03:17:28 am »

I will probably spend far more than what I made from selling off the tractor forklift attachment ...  :palm:
You did what ?  :wtf:  :scared:

How will you unload the ultra heavy boat anchors now ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #122897 on: June 15, 2022, 03:45:33 am »
That reminds me of the time I had to go stick some ram in a box in a data centre. As it was fully managed we found out when we got there all they had was telecoms racks and there was a huge pile of DL380’s stacked on top of each other. Mine was at the bottom. We jacked 9 machines up carefully with 4 people and a pile of Oreilly books and slid the node out carefully while everything was live.

It can be done  :-DD

As someone who's day job is in a datacenter, I feel this.

A sneaky peek at some of the shit that exists out there..... last week I had to lift a couple of live Juniper (crap!) routers up in the racks to fit servers underneath, while live and serving traffic. A couple years of connections, disconnections and general 'not my job' fuckery...
This one isn't a big router by any stretch of the imagination (we have some DWDM's and stuff that are serving in the terabit range now), but basically each port is a 100G connection.

(With a co-worker expressing the general sentiment at the whole situation... :D )

So, if you come to Tokyo and download your WiniOS updates, Netflix, whatevers, etc, etc and it's nice and fast, you're welcome. If it's slow, don't blame me, I've already knocked off for the day!  :-DD

That is impressive stack of hardware!

At the home level, I have a chance to look at some Cisco 7301, TP-Link TL-R600VPN and Juniper SRX240.  Any recommendations on these?

The real reason for visiting this particular seller is for HPAK E3611A and E3612A PSUs.  (I already have a E3610A).
It could be dangerous to the budget, as they also have a Rosenberger 32W100-016 RF Connector Torque Wrench, and some GPS timing antennae, plus others.

On a simply brand name front, recently Juniper has been total crap. We have had literally a 50% failure rate with new DOA units. We're not talking about cheap units either, more like their QFX10002-72Q type units (72 100G ports type thing) as well as their QFX5100 series too, Just RMA'd one of each in a new rack this/last week, there are two of each in the rack........
Earlier Junipers were fine, so if the one you are looking at is an older (like say a year or more) then it's gonna be ok, and being second hand it's proven itself, but Juniper have really been penny pinching of late, and it realllly shows.

We don't use TP-link at work, but I've had good experiences with them for SOHO use.

Cisco seem good, never had any real issues, but we phased the switches out a while back as service contracts ended and replaced with the (fkn!) Junipers and our own customised routers/switches. I actually just scrapped a pair of C3172C (or similar) Cisco's with the 10g ports last week actually.

Also, those HP's PSU's are good. I got a bunch of them on my bench and use them all the time. I like using the E3612A for testing leakage on higher voltage electrolytic capacitors.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #122899 on: June 15, 2022, 05:48:52 am »
They sometimes just go bang when you turn them on. Usually when some ham has been inside them so med is fine because he's not a ham  :-DD

And now for something completely different. Poked the Z50 out of the window with the 250mm lens on it.

Need. More. Zoom. This could get expensive  :-DD

A couple of hours ago I was on the way to the kitchen when I saw exactly that in the centre of my back window, just above the hills on the horizon. It stopped me in my tracks.

Now I've seen such moons many times before, but not in that position.

Just got back from walking the dog.  Wow, that is quite the view; nice photo too!  :-+
It was bright enough that we could see our shadows at midnight.
The moon may not be as full now, but it is not covered in rain clouds tonight.  :D

That was a nice distraction from trying to catch up with TEA...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf