Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16669676 times)

Robert763, nfmax, djadeski and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #122700 on: June 13, 2022, 01:25:52 pm »
Fourth attempt is a successful one : I have a couple Motorola MBR6035 , no problem finding a datasheet for it.

Fancy Schottky diode, 60A continuous, and only 0.65V drop at that current.. beat that ! :-DD
Oh yeah also 5mA reverse leakage current, 150mA at 125°C... you can't have it all I guess !  ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122701 on: June 13, 2022, 02:36:20 pm »
That's a VERY good metric.
Yeah, I just tried that magnet test on those resistors we brought from RS, needless to say they passed that test OK, but initially I thought "shit" when the magnet adhered to the outside of the box, then the penny dropped, they were of course the metal oxide type and the magnet was sticking to the body, not the leg  :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #122702 on: June 13, 2022, 02:44:34 pm »
Hmmm.... those short cables with a BNC one one end and grabbers or 4mm bananas at the other, look like they would be quite useful... might get some, thanks for the idea, added to my shopping list ! ;D

They are super useful.

Pomona 3788 -> BNC to minigrabbers
Pomona 3073 -> BNC to stackable banana plugs

You can buy crap ones for a lot less money but they are top notch quality. The last set I had were used almost daily for several years with no sign of giving up.

The banana to minigrabbers are excellent too:

Disclaimer: Pomona fanboy

There's Tektronix part numbers for the BNC - alligator clips too, but I can't remember what they are now...
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #122703 on: June 13, 2022, 03:03:37 pm »
-15V missing on the 475A.

Not any more. Found the issue. A damaged plated feed-thru on the board. Obviously was damaged when I pulled the can. Resulted in no solder flow to the top side of the board under the capacitor adapter. Which caused an open circuit between the plus side of CR1472 to the plus side of C1472. Fixed with a jumper wire from top side trace to bottom side through the same hole as the plus side of the capacitor adapter. Continuity test confirmed fixed. I still haven't re-assembled everything and confirmed with power but I'm confident it's going to work. More later.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #122704 on: June 13, 2022, 03:04:58 pm »
The technology has existed for half a century; we could've gotten there with lead-acid tech if we actually fucking wanted to.
You serious? With lead acid? Range: 50 miles under ideal conditions. Battery weight: 2 tons. I don't think so.  ::)

:palm: Most people don't need the range or power of a ICE vehicle most of the time. Even THAT 50 mile range is more than enough for a huge portion of the miles driven in the US every day; I'd bet more than half.

You're thinking of home-made golf-cart battery and forklift motor conversions from the 70s. The EV1 first-gen had lead-acid batteries and advertised 80 mile range; it was known to do much better according to users. It was literally loved by its users. Later versions used a NiMH pack which doubled that range. This technology is nearly 30 years old.

While no EV will replace all ICE vehicles, we certainly could've been MOSTLY EV long before I graduated high-school.  If we really wanted to be EV, we'd long ago have figured out a business model that makes EV the first choice for daily driving and commuting, then ICE vehicles convenient and cost-effective to "borrow" or "rent" when you really need it.

mnem
We are fucking doomed.
On the FLAT. We have a van in our fleet that has a nominal 70 mile range. In effect it is more like 20-30 miles, and there are hills it will NOT GO UP. Very fucking practical. It's a modern Nissan, so it has a Li-ion battery.

I do 35-40 miles a day to and from work, and it's ALL HILLS. My Insignia diesel can do something like 70 mpg average ON THE FLAT. In my daily use it's between 35-40 mpg depending on which hills I have to negotiate. Add to that is the purchase cost: £1250. Now, find me an equivalent electric vehicle for that price. NOT FUCKING POSSIBLE.

NB: I'm not pissed at you Mnem (for once!), I'm pissed at the stupidly polarised arguments that miss ALL OF THE MIDDLE GROUND when it comes to EVs.

His price comparison vs a petrol car based on the most expensive electricity tariff he can find is highly misleading. Most people would be able to find a cheaper tariff. For comparison against his quoted figure  of 38p/kWh I charge my car at the equivalent of 4.9p/kWh during the night or only 16p/kWh even if I charge it during the day.

And he points out that if you work from home that your electricity bills will rise. Somehow this also becomes a failing of the electric car :palm:

Maybe you can get electricity that cheap in upside-down land, but here I have to pay over 27p/kWh. Also I have nowhere to charge an electric car; I can't park outside my flat. I can't put solar panels on my roof because I don't have one.

Yes, and that's what I'm talking about too. You are the statistical outlier... the ends of the bell curve. Not to be rude, but in this case, that's probably most of the people where you live. This is what I meant by "While no EV will replace all ICE vehicles, we certainly could've been MOSTLY EV long before I graduated high-school."

Continuing to serve everybody in such a wasteful fashion... when the meat of the bell curve... commuting in particular...  a large number, probably even the majority of the miles driven every day could easily be served by EV... that is the middle ground I'm talking about.

The problem with that is it would require us all to step back and look at our daily lives the way I had to do about 20 years ago... and that's when my big E250 van and my pickup truck went down the road, because living in the city, I literally needed them about twice a year. The rest of the time they were aught but a drain on my personal economy.

The bottom line is that if we are to survive the next 50 years as a species, we "1st worlders" have to break the cycle of wasteful living at the rest of the world's expense. The rest of the world outnumbers us, they want their resources for themselves, and thanks to the current insane political climate, they have more guns and more money.

This has to start with our wasteful use of energy... and the LCD for that is for the developed world to actually start developing again rather than stagnating as we've done for most of my adult life... starting with a homogenized electrical power grid that actually serves everybody, and getting that energy and the energy used for transportation some other way than just burning whatever is most convenient.

If we don't stop burning shit for the majority of our energy... and I don't care what fuel your talking about, it's the not burning stuff for energy part that is crucial... in the next few decades, there's simply no chance of this planet being able to continue to sustain any of us meatsacks for the next 100 years.

Even if we don't fall victim to some nutbag like in MI:4 who decides the best thing to do is cleanse the planet with nuclear fire so mother nature can start over again, the end will be the same: Planet earth reduced to a smouldering cinder. Only difference is it will be a slow burn and generations of suffering, not a nice quick execution by ICBM.

So, yeah. EV is not just some pie in the sky wishful thinking; it has to happen if we are to survive as a species. It is something we all need to be thinking about how we can personally make it a part of our lives... and the first part is making the infrastructure happen, so that those of us who want to actually try and make a difference actually CAN take the first step and buy some form of EV to push the rest of the world in that direction.

Stoopit soundbyte answers and the people who think they're clever are the reason we're in this mess to begin with; the culture of waste serves only to keep the uber-wealthy in the style they've become accustomed to. We as a species cannot afford this any longer.

mnem
*kicks soapbox into the closet for use again some other day*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #122705 on: June 13, 2022, 03:13:09 pm »

:P :P :P :P :P

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, bd139, AVGresponding, BILLPOD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122706 on: June 13, 2022, 03:29:17 pm »
Please take the EV shite to the correct part of the forum.  :bullshit:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/renewable-energy/

David

I know it doesn't fit here, but it has nothing to do with renewable energy either. No one was actually discussing where the energy came from. It could have come from a coal fired powerstation.

McBryce.

I'd opine that the best and greenest source of charging power for EVs would come from treadmills operated by persons sentenced to penal servitude with hard labour for making lamps out of AVO meters.

[Fx: wanders off singing the Mikado's  part from Gilbert and Sullivan's "Mikado"]

"My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time —
To let the punishment fit the crime —
The punishment fit the crime;
And make each prisoner pent
Unwillingly represent
A source of innocent merriment!
Of innocent merriment!"
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122707 on: June 13, 2022, 03:32:10 pm »
More nails in the coffin for EV cars as they currently stand.

<SNIP>

And his conclusion at the end? "I still, on the whole, really like it." And he's thinking of dumping one of his household's fossil fuel cars and getting an additional electric car. So "nail in the coffin" is a serious misrepresentation of what this video actually says.
His price comparison vs a petrol car based on the most expensive electricity tariff he can find is highly misleading. Most people would be able to find a cheaper tariff. For comparison against his quoted figure  of 38p/kWh I charge my car at the equivalent of 4.9p/kWh during the night or only 16p/kWh even if I charge it during the day.

And he points out that if you work from home that your electricity bills will rise. Somehow this also becomes a failing of the electric car :palm:

To make it clear, the comment on electricity prices was because most of the "Economy Seven" type cheap night time (off-peak) tariffs come with a higher than flat rate daytime rate.
His point was that if you changed from flat rate to off-peak tariff you could end up spending more overall if you have high daytime consumption. There is a crossover point for where is cheapist overall. If working from home daytime (expensive) usage goes up and nightime vehicle charging goes down.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122708 on: June 13, 2022, 03:36:02 pm »
Hmmm.... those short cables with a BNC one one end and grabbers or 4mm bananas at the other, look like they would be quite useful... might get some, thanks for the idea, added to my shopping list ! ;D
They are super useful.   Pomona 3788 -> BNC to minigrabbers   Pomona 3073 -> BNC to stackable banana plugs.   You can buy crap ones for a lot less money but they are top notch quality. The last set I had were used almost daily for several years with no sign of giving up.
The banana to minigrabbers are excellent too:      Disclaimer: Pomona fanboy

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2560656/#msg2560656

FWIW... I finally got to use these in anger the last couple days while working on my hedge trimmer hack... and they are effing delicious. Tight fit, not at all grabby when plugging in, so I'm not afraid of them damaging the sockets on my equipment.

And even when stacking them, they still hold tight.  :-+ Added to the soldered and easily repaired construction I described in my mini-review above...
They get a solid 2 claws up from this tinkerdwagon.   

Also, still available from AliEx for ~$22 a set, in Red/Black or Skittles colors. ;)   https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832083520747.html

And while you're there, I dare you to poke around the KSST Store a bit. I double-dog dare you.  >:D

mnem
Taste the Rainbow, Bizzitches...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122709 on: June 13, 2022, 03:40:53 pm »
I just dropped a rack on my face.

You should not do that.

End of message.

Oh .... you didn't mean something like this ... ?

You should definitely drop one of those on your face, at least once in your life.  :-DD

mnem
It's fun for a boi and a grrl...!

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122710 on: June 13, 2022, 03:44:10 pm »
Last one I saw went for over 550.

Ok quick question. Bar actually getting something Royal Ohm shipped direct from Thailand from Tayda, does anyone know any decent vendors of 1% 1/4W metal film resistors in the UK? I need a dev pack ideally AND the ability to buy the same resistors again if I run out.

The usual Royal Ohm ones I buy are the same as CPC/Farnell's Multicomp Pro line. They do a dev kit for £61 but it doesn't specify enough info to work out that they are the same resistors or hair legged Chinese shite  >:(

Forgive the stupid newbie question but....what do you mean by "shite" resistor, what's wrong with them, and how can you be sure other brands are not shite ?
Aren't the crap ones out of tolerance resistance wise or otherwise, like tempco or actual power handling capabilities ? Too much noise ? Is that measured by you from experience or do you just go by the specs announced  by the datasheet ? Or are they just mechanically unreliable, like I don't know, they bond between the body and the terminals, develops internal cracks, that you can't see of course but causes increased noise and instabilities in ohms reading ? I don't know.... but I wanna know  :)
... because I too will need to order a "dev kit" as you say. Had a quick look at Farnell, main problem is that most of their kits are too limited, they usually do 10R to 1M, but I would like 1R to 10M, two more decades. Also they usually sell 100 of each, or 50.. I don't need that much for the little I do, would much prefer for the same price, have 50 of the 10x ones, and only 10 or 20 of the other values, but in exchange have two more decades, as well as full E24 not E12.. but looks like my demands do not fit what's on the market  :(
Ordering them one by one to make my own kit would take several years, clicking on hundreds of individual values... and the total price would probably be exorbitant anyway.

If my questions, electronics related aren't they, attract even half of the traffic that EV's do, I will be over the moon...

Chinese hair legged crap - these are the ones you get from aliexpress and ebay and local hobby stores etc. They tend to have badly plated steel extremely thin legs because they are cheaper. The casings are miniscule and they are usually poorly marked. The specification can vary wildly sometimes outside the marketed tolerance and never expect them to work anywhere near the rated voltage or have more than one with the same temperature coefficient. The failure modes are usually rust or mechanical damage. But they are very cheap.

A lot of cheap metal film resistors you can find on Ebay and Aliexpress are in fact carbon film painted in blue. Tolerance and Tempco are really bad and as bd139 said, they are mechanically fragile.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122711 on: June 13, 2022, 03:44:45 pm »
   gotta' agree with bd.  that antenna is silly.   

here are some pics of my truck set up in the driveway for testing. used this configuration saturday for mountaintop vhf uhf contesting.  the mountain laurel was in bloom and a wild turkey crossed the muddy road in front of me on the way to dark hollow vista. 

no.....you can not drive at highway speed with the antenna erect.  but you can creep up unpaved trails for minor location adjustments.

however, bd is correct.   it is all pretty silly.
Wow... that looks like the old antenna(s) I used to have on my roof growing up on the farm, trying to get TV broadcast from Syracuse and Rochester. We got a whole 3 1/2 channels... 5 1/2 after I added a 3rd one for UHF...  :o

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 03:48:29 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122712 on: June 13, 2022, 03:46:20 pm »
There’s another 34401A appeared, this time a 2009 Agilent one, so I will attempt to obtain that, get it calibrated, check the HP 34401A against it and then lose that one. So keep your hands off with the competition  :-DD

Keep an eye out for  an Agilent 34410A? They are essentially the same, except the VFD has a second line with mean/min/max/stddev/count statistics. I find those stats to be a killer advantage, and wouldn't want a 34401.

They use the next generation of ADC, the same scheme as used in the later 3446x/34470 "TrueVolt" range. So although the 34410A has roughly similar measurement capabilities as the 34401A and similar display capabilities I would not say it was "essentially" the same. The fundamentally different way the ADC is constructed (out of two ADC chips operated at different rates with a charge balancing integrator driven by their reading) compared to the simplicity of the 34401A's simple integrator and charge balancing switches means that the long term stability of the 34410A does not have the same predictability as the 34401A.

The 34401A is a tried, tested, and refined version of a fundamental ADC design that has gained respect for its long term predictability and accuracy. The 34410A was HPAKs first crack at a new ADC design. As good? Maybe. But far from being "essentially the same".

The 34410A has the great advantage, from my point of view, of having an LXI ethernet port on it - which in this day and age is much simpler to use for automation than the 34410A's GPIB port.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #122713 on: June 13, 2022, 03:47:54 pm »

You should not do that.

End of message.

You should definitely drop one of those on your face, at least once in your life.  :-DD

mnem

Just one and just once? You've been cheated. I would demand a do over.  :P :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122714 on: June 13, 2022, 03:50:07 pm »

You should not do that.

End of message.

"Rack!" - [Fx: giggles childishly].

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122715 on: June 13, 2022, 03:52:16 pm »

You should not do that.

End of message.

mnem

Just one and just once? You've been cheated. I would demand a do over.  :P :-DD

I said "at least once"... and I mean that I recommend it for everybody, regardless of gender.  >:D

mnem
It's also fun for a grrl and a grrl... or a whole kitten pile if you ever get the chance!  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122716 on: June 13, 2022, 04:10:11 pm »
Last one I saw went for over 550.

Ok quick question. Bar actually getting something Royal Ohm shipped direct from Thailand from Tayda, does anyone know any decent vendors of 1% 1/4W metal film resistors in the UK? I need a dev pack ideally AND the ability to buy the same resistors again if I run out.

The usual Royal Ohm ones I buy are the same as CPC/Farnell's Multicomp Pro line. They do a dev kit for £61 but it doesn't specify enough info to work out that they are the same resistors or hair legged Chinese shite  >:(

Forgive the stupid newbie question but....what do you mean by "shite" resistor, what's wrong with them, and how can you be sure other brands are not shite ?
Aren't the crap ones out of tolerance resistance wise or otherwise, like tempco or actual power handling capabilities ? Too much noise ? Is that measured by you from experience or do you just go by the specs announced  by the datasheet ? Or are they just mechanically unreliable, like I don't know, they bond between the body and the terminals, develops internal cracks, that you can't see of course but causes increased noise and instabilities in ohms reading ? I don't know.... but I wanna know  :)
... because I too will need to order a "dev kit" as you say. Had a quick look at Farnell, main problem is that most of their kits are too limited, they usually do 10R to 1M, but I would like 1R to 10M, two more decades. Also they usually sell 100 of each, or 50.. I don't need that much for the little I do, would much prefer for the same price, have 50 of the 10x ones, and only 10 or 20 of the other values, but in exchange have two more decades, as well as full E24 not E12.. but looks like my demands do not fit what's on the market  :(
Ordering them one by one to make my own kit would take several years, clicking on hundreds of individual values... and the total price would probably be exorbitant anyway.

If my questions, electronics related aren't they, attract even half of the traffic that EV's do, I will be over the moon...

Chinese hair legged crap - these are the ones you get from aliexpress and ebay and local hobby stores etc. They tend to have badly plated steel extremely thin legs because they are cheaper. The casings are miniscule and they are usually poorly marked. The specification can vary wildly sometimes outside the marketed tolerance and never expect them to work anywhere near the rated voltage or have more than one with the same temperature coefficient. The failure modes are usually rust or mechanical damage. But they are very cheap.

A lot of cheap metal film resistors you can find on Ebay and Aliexpress are in fact carbon film painted in blue. Tolerance and Tempco are really bad and as bd139 said, they are mechanically fragile.

They make good firestarters.  >:D

mnem
*smoky*

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122717 on: June 13, 2022, 04:19:29 pm »
Wow... that looks like the old antenna(s) I used to have on my roof growing up on the farm, trying to get TV broadcast from Syracuse and Rochester. We got a whole 3 1/2 channels... 5 1/2 after I added a 3rd one for UHF...  :o

mnem
 :-/O

Maybe you should have tried to get TV from somewhere nearer to home.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122718 on: June 13, 2022, 04:23:19 pm »

Wow... you really hadda reach for that gag, C...  :-DD

mnem
Fortune favors the bold. ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 04:32:38 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122719 on: June 13, 2022, 04:29:58 pm »
>snip>

So, yeah. EV is not just some pie in the sky wishful thinking; it has to happen if we are to survive as a species. It is something we all need to be thinking about how we can personally make it a part of our lives... and the first part is making the infrastructure happen, so that those of us who want to actually try and make a difference actually CAN take the first step and buy some form of EV to push the rest of the world in that direction.

Stoopit soundbyte answers and the people who think they're clever are the reason we're in this mess to begin with; the culture of waste serves only to keep the uber-wealthy in the style they've become accustomed to. We as a species cannot afford this any longer.

mnem
Still not 100% sure that EV is the answer, though I do agree that at some point we do need to find a method of seriously reducing the CO2 emissions, but transporting raw materials halfway round the globe and back again in order to produce the batteries is not the way either. Neither is going back in time when you have to factor in extra time to make journeys to allow top up recharging the way forward. In the past, I have had to drive from Chelmsford to Newcastle upon Tyne and back in a day, a round trip of something in the realm of 640 miles for work to commission a BT shop for handover due to an electrical contractor's misunderstanding on how to install a lighting control network (don't ask). That currently with an EV car would have entailed either an overnight stopover (at the time not possible as I had to be at a sales conference the following day in Reading), or an extended wait while the car was attached to a quick charge point (assuming one can be found) and the plugged in at home overnight.

Yes I have a drive, but it is not one that I could even think about installing a charge point as it is completely open plan, I do have a garage, but it is only big enough for the smallest of cars and I doubt that even if I had a small car (which I wouldn't fit in), that if I did, I'd be able to drive into the garage and then exit the car  :palm: I'm 6ft 4" and built like a brick dunny if you get my drift. So only a PEHV would make sense for me currently and given that I have been told, you cannot use a public charging point with them, just makes a mockery of buying a hybrid car. To make a hybrid car make perfect sense relies on them being plugged in for the full 7hr daily charge for them to work at their maximum efficiency, otherwise they are just a ICE.  |O
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 04:37:54 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #122720 on: June 13, 2022, 04:47:25 pm »
The usual test over here is "If the resistor leg sticks to a magnet, it goes back to where it came from".

That's a VERY good metric.

This can go wrong, for example like these electrolytics,

and these Vishay resistors (OK, it's the resistor body that is magnetic, not the legs)

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, cyclin_al, syau

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122721 on: June 13, 2022, 04:57:56 pm »
>snip>

mnem
Still not 100% sure that EV is the answer, though I do agree that at some point we do need to find a method of seriously reducing the CO2 emissions, but transporting raw materials halfway round the globe and back again in order to produce the batteries is the way either. Neither is going back in time when you have to factor in extra time to make journeys to allow top up recharging the way forward. In the past, I have had to drive from Chelmsford to Newcastle upon Tyne and back in a day, a round trip of something in the realm of 640 miles for work to commission a BT shop for handover due to an electrical misunderstanding how to install a lighting control network (don't ask). That currently with an EV car would have entailed either an overnight stopover (at the time not possible as I had to be at a sales conference the following day in Reading), or an extended wait while the car was attached to a quick charge point (assuming one can be found) and the plugged in at home overnight.

Yes I have a drive, but it is not one that I could even think about installing a charge point as it is completely open plan, I do have a garage, but it is only big enough for the smallest of cars and I doubt that even if I had a small car (which I wouldn't fit in), that if I did, I'd be able to drive into the garage and then exit the car  :palm: I'm 6ft 4" and built like a brick dunny if you get my drift. So only a PEHV would make sense for me currently and given that I have been told, you cannot use a public charging point with them, just makes a mockery of buying a hybrid car. To make a hybrid car make perfect sense relies on them being plugged in for the full 7hr daily charge for them to work at their maximum efficiency, otherwise they are just a ICE.  |O

Again... you are arguing against EV as it is. We all know that the reason EV is such a horrible solution as it is is because the infrastructure doesn't exist; which is directly resultant from TPTB not wanting it that way, not because the majority of consumers want it that way. TPTB meaning of course, your government, our government, and the big money that owns them. And consumers meaning ordinary people like those who, when given even half a chance with the EV1, loved them so much they refused to give them back.

Arguing against globalism is a fool's errand; it is literally the way of the world. Transporting stuff from them as has to them as needs is the core of all business. Arguing against that is simply a non-starter.

The infrastructure has to happen first, and if our "leaders" won't make it happen, then we have to. If Musk really gave half a rats ass about "shaking up the status quo" and bringing the rest of the world into the modern age, that's where he'd be spending his money and political capitol, not this statistically impossible StarLink  :bullshit: BS.

So instead of arguing over EV as it is... a pointless endeavour on the face of it... maybe we could talk about something more constructive, like how do we actually make the infrastructure cost-effective enough that it actually can happen?

Lets start with the charging stations: How do we make those cheap enough and the rewards for implementing high enough that say... every grocery store has a dozen in place? Even half a dozen?

When I was still in school, the "big idea" to make EV happen was standardized modular batteries like we use in a cordless drill only brand-agnostic, and you paid for the difference between your partially discharged pack and a fully charged one at the local "gas" station.

Nowadays, the tech to make that actually happen is a reality and cheap as chips, at least in theory. How can we actually make that happen?

mnem
Well, aside from beating the car-manufacturers and politicians they own with rubber hoses, which I honestly would endorse at this point in the game...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 05:00:16 pm by mnementh »

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122722 on: June 13, 2022, 04:59:55 pm »
<SNIP>

You have been misinformed. There is no reason why you cannot use a public charger for a PHEV. My Outlander even has a CHAdeMO connector so I can use a fast DC charger.

A modern full hybrid is not "just ICE" it has significantly lower emissions and better fuel economy. Even without regeneration (which also reduces brake dust emissions) they allow the ICE to run at optimum, constant engine speed power points with excess power going to the battery or deficent (e.g. a hill) being made up by the EV.
Again the Outlander on the motorway, without plug-in pre-charge, will run for noticable periods at 65-70 MPH on EV alone.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #122723 on: June 13, 2022, 05:03:40 pm »
Boooo. My Advantest R6144 DC Voltage/Current Generator is still throwing an Error 05. Checked all the chips it says to in the manual and all check out ok, except I can't test the Microcontroller (HD63B03RP) or the GPIB Bus Controller (TMS9914ANL).

I've found a local source for the microcontroller, but I doubt it's that as it needs to work to throw the code. My money is on the GPIB Bus Controller, but it seems China via Ebay is all I can find for sourcing so far....

That is of course if the fault isn't on the main board that does the actual voltage/current generation. I found a bunch of problems there and fixed what I found so far, but that shouldn't cause an error 05.

Too bad the only parts unit on Yahoo Auctions is listed for 10,000yen. Waayy too much for an obviously busted and tampered with unit (especially with no internal photos).... I could do with some spare parts...
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #122724 on: June 13, 2022, 05:08:48 pm »
On other news starting to play with stocks soon....  $$$ burn baby burn....

lost $470 in 3 days. Monkey face for me.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf