Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16669780 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, Robert763, nfmax, djadeski and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #122475 on: June 11, 2022, 08:46:01 am »

Oh, and my daughter is cute.  :-DD

'nuff qualification, ain't it so?
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #122476 on: June 11, 2022, 09:07:22 am »
5440 update:

All the BAMA manuals are nice to have, but they're shite scans -- which I know isn't BAMA's fault at all. (And everybody else just downloaded from there and reposted, including TekWiki.) Caved in and bought Artek scans for 5B40, 5A48, 5A38 plugins.  I'll be traveling for work the coming week, using an Interrail pass to go to Geneva and back, so not likely to be able to perform TE work until next weekend.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 09:09:19 am by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al, dl6lr

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122477 on: June 11, 2022, 09:28:43 am »
Robert, you jumped into an existing conversation where both 3-wire and 4-wire cord installation were being discussed. You did not specify which you were talking about, nor does your diagram state any such thing clearly.

Yet when I try to clarify, and completely non-confrontationally explain what we were talking about vs what you were talking about, you take offense.

Dood... seriously. Nothing I said deserved that level of response.

mnem
*toddles off to do something... else*

1/The sketch shows 4 wires going to the dryer
2/ The described fault can only happen if the earth and neutral are connected at the dryer so it must be a 4 wire cord
3/ the same issue applies for any equipment if you connect the neutral and protective conductor including 3 wire 110V or european style 240V 3 wire.

How much detail did I have to give?

Obviously it was not obvious what you were talking about, or we wouldn't be having this misunderstanding. There was never any intent to demean, trivialize or in any way attack you here.  :palm:

We are not inside your head Robert, we don't all always know what you're talking about. You tend to take shortcuts in the discussion and in this case also the drawing that reflect what you're thinking about, and assume everyone else knows what you mean. ie: including the terminal strip and not including a nonexistent GND as I did would have gone a lot further towards clarifying.

The nature of this medium means you do have to be more specific and more detailed than with "in person" conversations; we don't have the benefit of body language, tone of voice, or facial expression to help us understand what you mean. Even the point of the conversation where you jump in makes a difference here.

At this point all I can do is chalk this one up to misunderstanding and the nature of the medium as above; I encourage you to do the same, as I never wanted to fight about any of this.  |O

mnem
I think I'm gonna go color some My Little Ponies with my daughter... we NEVER argue when we're doing that... :o

Well you seem to be the only person who had a problem with it. You have still not accepted that I'm correct in saying that a connection between protective ground and neutral in ANY appliance (note: being able to connect them together means both protective ground and neutral conductors must be present) poses a risk of overloading the appliance cord if the neutral goes open elsewhere in the system.
This applies to 110V (NA) and 240V (EU) single phase as well as the specific case of a USA 220V split phase dryer where there appears to be a historic practice that makes the incorrect connection more likely by providing a link wire.
You did not try to explain the problem, you tried to dismiss it by changing the conditions i.e going to a "3wire" dryer connection.
I was not knocking the USA electrical just show the issue which is not obvious.
I'm done on this one.

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122478 on: June 11, 2022, 09:44:10 am »
I just plug my dryer in the wall  :-DD

As one does when the normal outlet can supply adequate power. A BS1363 outlet not on ring mains will happily supply a little bit over 3KW; that's ~26A at 120V...
240-ish volt Dryer circuit over here is 30A, 240-ish volt Range circuit is 50A. Both use a dedicated dual breaker with internal common trip. Standard 125-ish volt household outlet is rated 15A/1875W, and we also have a standard for 125-ish volt 20A/2500W.

And none of those household plugs qualify as a lethal weapon in most use cases. :-DD Our Range/Dryer plugs are as bad as yours, tho...  >:D

mnem
Honestly, I don't know why it isn't a "thing" you hear about in the news all the time; murdering people with those monstrous things... :scared:

You don't hear about electrocution deaths caused by "13A" plugs in the news is because they don't happen. Sockets and plugs properly designed and built to the british standard are very safe despite the "high" voltage.
We do have problems with cheap appliances, plugs, adaptors ets that are fubamentallly unsafe and having a 240V supply DOES increase the risk when these fail. 
A US Split-Phase  220V system is NOT as dangerous as the UK 240V because ther is still only 110V to "ground" and ground is the most likely return path through a human.
The british system uses  similar Split-Phase" system in high risk areas like construction power tools. That is even safer as it is a 55V-0-55V system with transformers so only 55V to ground.
We also have rules on electrical outs and lights in bathrooms etc.
At least our sockets don't need regular replacement like most NEMA 5-15 outlets.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122479 on: June 11, 2022, 09:54:20 am »
Yeah electrical safety here is probably the best on the planet. My oven is plugged into a standard socket to give you an idea. (2.5kW single oven).

British mains plugs have been iterated on for decades and are incredibly robust. Never seen a problem with one unlike the US ones which seem to melt every two minutes.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 09:56:14 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, syau

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #122480 on: June 11, 2022, 10:27:06 am »
Yeah electrical safety here is probably the best on the planet. My oven is plugged into a standard socket to give you an idea. (2.5kW single oven).

British mains plugs have been iterated on for decades and are incredibly robust. Never seen a problem with one unlike the US ones which seem to melt every two minutes.

The greatest danger a 13A plug poses is when packed badly with TE or if stepped on barefoot.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122481 on: June 11, 2022, 10:28:07 am »

Paraphrasing Gilbert and Sullivan: "The British plug is a solider, as strong as a mountain is..."

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #122482 on: June 11, 2022, 10:37:34 am »
" a connection between protective ground and neutral in ANY appliance (note: being able to connect them together means both protective ground and neutral conductors must be present) poses a risk of overloading the appliance cord if the neutral goes open elsewhere in the system. "

And would be an automatic and instant fail of a PAT.

Although I'm not allowed to cut plugs off things on the (rare these days) occasions I get to wear my PAT hat, if I put a red FAIL sticker on something, it had better not get used. Subbies don't like being told they can't have their favourite old extension/battery charger/SDS drill on site if it fails a PAT, and will ignore it if they can get away with it, so I'll just pick it up and take it off the site and tell them if they try to bring it back they'll be joining it, and to argue with the project manager about it because I'm not interested in their excuses.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #122483 on: June 11, 2022, 10:37:48 am »
Truthfully, ever since it became clear my messages were vanishing into nowhere, I have been thinking about ordering the U1253B package from Transcat since that'd come with a warranty, current calibration, fresh OLED display, plus the carry case etc.

Order placed.  I also ordered a bunch of miscellaneous things I needed that weren't enough to get above the free shipping threshold so that took care of all that.

"Message Again"  It wouldn't be much effort to type something and hit send but I'm not even sure I'm going to bother.

Now I'm tempted to hit the "Message Again" button and send a note saying I bought a new U1253B since he didn't get back to me.

Agilent isn't the current brand name and even then Keysight isn't as widely known as Fluke, and he's got the listed the U1253B at what I'd consider a fairly reasonable price for what it is, but that means it's priced well above the cheap DMMs people flip all the time.  Have fun shifting it.  Could've had cash in hand a week ago.

Hopefully the design of the 1253B is significantly improved over the 1253A that Dave did a teardown of way back when; the continuity function in particular was garbage, and the general design of the front end wasn't great.
I have a U1253b and they are a nice meter, BUT the oled display has a nasty tendency to fade, I believe esp if hot, humid and exposed to light,.
The meter turns on quickly, is nice in the hand (like 87v) and inside the display has a great viewing angle - much better than lcd. Rechargeable batteries are a bit of a PITA.
My go to HH DMM now is a Hioki.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122484 on: June 11, 2022, 10:40:46 am »
I HATE DIODES !!!!!

Currently trying to identify/sort/organize all my salvaged beefy diodes. Most were pulled from CRT TV's or monitors.... their datasheet says they are "damping" diodes, for CRT Horizontal deflection.

The datasheet will tell you all sorts of things relevant to their intended use case, logical, fair enough, with all sorts of repetitive or non repetitive voltage or current stimuli, BUT they will never tell you the most basics of specs I wanna know for a freaking diode : what is the maximum  DC voltage and current they can sustain !!!   :scared:

I don't care if their diode can do 1,500Volts repetitive at 32.5kHz or 115,567kHz on a square wave with 35.78% duty cycle...... just tell me what freaking DC voltage and current it can handle FFS !!!  :rant:

So basically I have lots of cool beefy diodes but I can't contemplate reusing them because I have no idea what current and voltage they can actually handle, hence I might as well throw them away !!   >:(
I

« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 11:08:59 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122485 on: June 11, 2022, 10:41:52 am »

The greatest danger a 13A plug poses is when packed badly with TE or if stepped on barefoot.

Correct.

Not sure it still does it but if you search for “caltrop” on Google images, occasionally it reports British plugs  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122486 on: June 11, 2022, 10:43:30 am »
I HATE DIODES !!!!!

Currently trying to identify/sort/organize all my salvaged beefy diodes. Most were pulled from CRT TV's or monitors.... their datasheet says they are "damping" diodes, for CRT Horizontal deflection.

The datasheet will tell you all sorts of things relevant to their intended use case, logical, fair enough, with all sorts of repetitive or non repetitive voltage or current stimuli, BUT they will never tell you the most basics of specs I wanna know for a freaking diode : what is the maximum  DC voltage and current they can sustain !!!   :scared:

I don't care if there diode can do 1,5000Volts repetitive at 32.5kHz or 115,567kHz on a square wave with 35.78% duty cycle...... just tell me what freaking DC voltage and current it can handle FFS !!!  :rant:

So basically I have lots of cool beefy diodes but I can't contemplate reusing them because I have no idea what current and voltage they can actually handle, hence I might as well throw them away !!  : >:(
I

This is why I don’t bother with old parts.

1n4148, 1n4002, some red LEDs and a few assorted zeners and buy anything special you need in demand.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122487 on: June 11, 2022, 11:07:20 am »

Schuko seems to be for pretty low currents only, actually.
It's more than once when things have been internally less bright.

Some hand tools also included.
The bright one has no name.

BTW,
If Kepco had an aluminium profile heatsink, would it fit?

BTW2,
Once in school I took a third foreign language, had to take something, but the age was bad and it was a last class of the day so it didn't went well.
Finally they gave me 6.0/10 total average and were allowed to kick me out permanently.
But when autumn came I was matured, and realized, enough so guess who was, hat in hand, visiting the principal.
Later some teachers had reactions.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122488 on: June 11, 2022, 11:22:30 am »
I HATE DIODES !!!!!

I don't care if their diode can do 1,500Volts repetitive at 32.5kHz or 115,567kHz on a square wave with 35.78% duty cycle...... just tell me what freaking DC voltage and current it can handle FFS !!!  :rant:

So basically I have lots of cool beefy diodes but I can't contemplate reusing them because I have no idea what current and voltage they can actually handle, hence I might as well throw them away !!   >:(
I

What package types?

Maybe the name is an omen.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #122489 on: June 11, 2022, 11:31:07 am »
I HATE DIODES !!!!!

I don't care if there diode can do 1,5000Volts repetitive at 32.5kHz or 115,567kHz on a square wave with 35.78% duty cycle...... just tell me what freaking DC voltage and current it can handle FFS !!!  :rant:

So basically I have lots of cool beefy diodes but I can't contemplate reusing them because I have no idea what current and voltage they can actually handle, hence I might as well throw them away !!  : >:(
I

1n4148, 1n4002 1N4007, some red LEDs and a few assorted zeners and buy anything special you need in demand.

Fixed it for you. :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122490 on: June 11, 2022, 11:42:13 am »
I HATE DIODES !!!!!

I

1n4148, 1n4002 1N4007, some red LEDs and a few assorted zeners and buy anything special you need in demand.

Fair points.

The 1n4007’s can be abused as PIN diodes and varactors too  :-DD

Edit: they have an extra intrinsic layer apparently.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 11:44:19 am by bd139 »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #122491 on: June 11, 2022, 11:47:12 am »

Schuko seems to be for pretty low currents only, actually.

When Sweden was not part of the EU, the CEE 7/7 or 7/4 (Both are Schukos, but the 7/7 is compatible with French outlets according to NF C 61-314) were capable of 10A load; subject to cable gauge; a 1,5mm2 was deemed sufficient for 10A in extension cord and fuse panel to outlet applications.

As soon as we joined EU, the laws of physics changed, and it is now permissible to run 16A through a CEE 7/4, if the cable is upped to 2,5mm2. At the same time, copper got better, so 1,5mm2 can now support 13A.

For significant loads, I always specify IEC 60309 connectors. ("MK Commando" in the UK; a clear eponym from the known manufacturer) They are sufficiently engineered. The only usage in the US seems to be for refrigerated shipping containers.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122492 on: June 11, 2022, 12:04:48 pm »
I HATE DIODES !!!!!

I

What package types?

Don't know what "omen" means sorry  :-\

Package is irrelevant, the problem is the datasheet... but here it is anyway. I don't know how it's called, datasheet doesn't say. It's like a TO220 (on the pic as well, for size comparison), but much bigger.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122493 on: June 11, 2022, 12:45:58 pm »
Fleabay time:

Definitely one for the HFM?!? list:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134143470130

Double screen, probable double hernia:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234585115928

13 watchers, so I'm not blowing anyone's secret spot I think:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225025353554

Baby nixie meter. I notice the current input is the same as the V/Ω etc. WCPGW? The 1V check is an intriguing feature:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185458260809

No doubt bidding will go daft at the death, but here's this anyway:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134142018953

Baby Tek:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125361689630

The seller helpfully quotes the RRP. If they think it will get anywhere near that, they'll be disappointed:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155026408608

PL330 rapidly approaching its go/no-go price point:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115412676201

One for the gamblers:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203982074493

A couple of Fluke 17x series:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234582785960

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185452891582

This looks pretty clean, it'll be interesting to see what it sells for:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134138358319

Another no doubt soon to be bidding war:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115411535244

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122494 on: June 11, 2022, 12:52:06 pm »
Well that’s basically my watch list  :-DD

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122495 on: June 11, 2022, 12:54:27 pm »
I HATE DIODES !!!!!

I

That's fine and dandy but I like UF4007 more. It's the same 1A/1000V but fast. Just put 3 in series for a cheap & very sturdy 3kV diode and can run in the kHz, easy. Need a 1N4007 replacement? Still can do with these....

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122496 on: June 11, 2022, 01:00:01 pm »
I HATE DIODES !!!!!

I

What package types?

Package is irrelevant, the problem is the datasheet... but here it is anyway. I don't know how it's called, datasheet doesn't say. It's like a TO220 (on the pic as well, for size comparison), but much bigger.

Nomen est omen.
I'm pretty sure omen is also Anglo, somewhere.

FMQ-G2FS is 1500V/10A and FMQ-G5FMS is the same.
Whole set is over 1000V so that's pretty safe.
Number 5 seems to be among beefier ones so maybe 5A is safe.

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122497 on: June 11, 2022, 01:25:18 pm »
I HATE DIODES !!!!!

I

What package types?

If only AC rating are given a conservative DC rating conversion is:
DC reverse voltage = AC voltage
DC average forward current = 1/2 AC average current.
DC peak current  = AC average current
Frequency is irrelevant.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122498 on: June 11, 2022, 01:30:44 pm »
That's fine and dandy but I like UF4007 more. It's the same 1A/1000V but fast. Just put 3 in series for a cheap & very sturdy 3kV diode and can run in the kHz, easy. Need a 1N4007 replacement? Still can do with these....

Might be some marginal use cases where they don't work as well, VF looks to be quite a bit higher at max IF, and maybe the capacitance too.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #122499 on: June 11, 2022, 01:40:38 pm »
Vince are you watching the big race 24 hrs of Le Mans while you're sorting diodes?  8)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf