Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16669752 times)

Robert763, nfmax, djadeski and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #122400 on: June 10, 2022, 10:59:27 am »
Since is cutting tool period, here's some of my collection. And since I know that not everybody will recognize one of the tools, here's Adam Savage presentation:

I used those all the time when I was working on the Bristol buses during my apprenticeship. Many items on buses used to be wired like that for maximum safety. I haven't seen any of those recently though, are they still used?

I modified the jaws to accept many single cables, and then I used to twist them to form a wiring loom that had the ability to be shaped  to follow along chassis rails without needing hundreds of clips to retain the loom in position.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 11:04:44 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #122401 on: June 10, 2022, 11:08:30 am »
I haven't seen any of those recently though, are they still used?
Yep in Boeing's and less so in them flying fiberglass Airbus things.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122402 on: June 10, 2022, 11:18:51 am »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122403 on: June 10, 2022, 11:37:39 am »

Carbon fiber not glass  ;D
Then Boeing is just as carbon fiber (787) as the Airbus A350, even hit the market before the Airbus.

Then again carbon or aluminium makes no difference, as this refers to the airframe/cell only, which is not held together with safety wire to begin with... it's only used for the mechanical bits you graft onto the airframe. I bet 100 years ago with wood and fabric/clothe aircraft you had safety wires just as well ....

« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 11:47:17 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122404 on: June 10, 2022, 11:43:44 am »

Then Boeing is just as carbon fiber (787) as the Airbus A350, even hit the market before the Airbus.
Just knew you would bite !  :P  :-DD

Been searching TEA for stuff and stumbled across a member we haven't seen for a few weeks....Andrew_Debbie.
Was he going away or just gone somewhere else ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122405 on: June 10, 2022, 11:46:17 am »
Good point... Andrew hasn't posted in a while indeed... now me worried ....  :(

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122406 on: June 10, 2022, 11:57:23 am »
Now I’ve woken up a bit this morning I would like to admit to my guilty secret of using Visual Studio Code for most stuff now. It has a wonderful remote editing over ssh feature which saves me a lot of pain. It’s about the only thing Microsoft have got right recently.

They probably nicked the idea from TextMate, which happens to be my personal daily driver. Mac only, but the remote end works on anything. The remote stub is available in Ruby, Bash, Python and Perl, and probably in some other scripting languages too.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #122407 on: June 10, 2022, 12:04:10 pm »
This top-right cutter looks like a Wiha side cutter. I have two of them, big and small one.
Those are the to-go sidecutters here.

https://www.wiha.com/au/en/tools/pliers/diagonal-cutters/wiha-electronic/1016/electronic-diagonal-cutters

No no. I think it's rebranded Piergiacomi. Also sold in different names and color.
https://www.piergiacomi.com/en/catalogue/cutters/flush-cutting-edge/#TR+20+M
https://www.piergiacomi.com/en/

I got to like Wera Erem. The only strange thing is that gray plastic scratches easily.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 12:14:35 pm by KrzysztofB »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122408 on: June 10, 2022, 12:11:00 pm »
I used those all the time when I was working on the Bristol buses during my apprenticeship. Many items on buses used to be wired like that for maximum safety. I haven't seen any of those recently though, are they still used?

Go to any racing circuit or aerodrome maintenance shop and you'll find a pair and a bale of lockwire. You probably won't find them in a bus garage shop anymore as they seem to have moved to lockwashers with plastic indicators, certainly for wheels and I've seen a few on a bus engine too. In motor racing lockwashers have always been acceptable too, but people didn't like them because scrutineers could miss them, fail a vehicle, and then have to be dragged back after an appeal to have the lockwasher pointed out - it's difficult to miss a string of lockwire.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122409 on: June 10, 2022, 01:06:00 pm »
Now I’ve woken up a bit this morning I would like to admit to my guilty secret of using Visual Studio Code for most stuff now. It has a wonderful remote editing over ssh feature which saves me a lot of pain. It’s about the only thing Microsoft have got right recently.

They probably nicked the idea from TextMate, which happens to be my personal daily driver. Mac only, but the remote end works on anything. The remote stub is available in Ruby, Bash, Python and Perl, and probably in some other scripting languages too.

Possibly. I did actually use TextMate myself for a number of years on the mac but not being portable it's difficult moving around all the time to different editors and IDEs so I standardised on VScode a year or so ago.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #122410 on: June 10, 2022, 01:25:27 pm »

Then again carbon or aluminium makes no difference, as this refers to the airframe/cell only, which is not held together with safety wire to begin with... it's only used for the mechanical bits you graft onto the airframe. I bet 100 years ago with wood and fabric/clothe aircraft you had safety wires just as well ....

It does make a difference to what happens when lightning strikes. A few decades ago a glider was hit and disintegrated in mid air without casualties. The AAIB inspected it very closely and determined the strike was stronger than believed possible.

As a result, the specification and tests for the upcoming generation of carbon fibre airliners was changed.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122411 on: June 10, 2022, 01:47:16 pm »

It does make a difference to what happens when lightning strikes. A few decades ago a glider was hit and disintegrated in mid air without casualties. The AAIB inspected it very closely and determined the strike was stronger than believed possible.

As a result, the specification and tests for the upcoming generation of carbon fibre airliners was changed.

Well that's not safety wires on nuts then, you are changing subject !  :-DD

Yes carbon not good for lighting strikes, but of course Airbus though that. Well, carbon is excellent conductor of course, but since it lives in a plastic matrix, plastic is not so good at conducting of course ! :-DD

Of course Airbus thought of that... so they made a Faraday cage all over the carbon fuselage : the top / outer most layer of the carbon sandwich that makes up the skin of the A/C, is composed of a bronze mesh that's there to conduct electricity. The A350 has been flying for a few years now, none of them has been destroyed by a lightning ;-)
Older design A/C with an aluminium skin were not exactly lightning strike proof anyway : sure they won't explode or beak up, but the impact still made a hole in the fuselage that needed to be cut out and plugged/patched ! The older the A/C the more patches you would see on the ceiling  :-DD

As for gliders I don't know, especially decades ago.... I can only speak for the A350, the modern stuff meant to carry paying passengers  >:D

If the gliders helped about that cool, but even without it I don't think Airbus wold have made a carbon skin without wondering about lightning strikes... they would have though of it and fixed the problem anyway I would think !   :scared:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 01:54:52 pm by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #122412 on: June 10, 2022, 02:04:00 pm »
On vi, this is year 30 for me. Feeling old  :-DD
Vi makes you wish you were retired. Knowing any more than a i x dw :wq indicates autistic fixations on minutiae.   At least with emacs you aren't "moded in", and when you don't like something you can change it. Plus you can put the kitchen sink in it :)
Escape Meta Alt Control Shift      I'll stay modal thanks  :-DD

And all y'alls wonder why I cringe just looking at a Python IDE...?

It's not just the shite I make when I code... it's what I become when I try.  :palm:

mnem

Inner codemonkey is not amused...

We all become the monkey. The trick is merely having an outward perception that you know what you are doing.

Apart from sitting on mind numbing meetings yesterday I spent most of the day trying to fix an LDAP permission loss bug. This turned out to be where one of the other monkeys had spelled Viewer as Viever. It took me 4 hours to find it because I have no idea what I am doing  :-DD
And how many days did the monkey at fault spend looking before they called you to HALO drop in and fixxor it...?  ;)

I never was that good at keeping the game face on while I'm actually working... doesn't matter what discipline; I get "worried face" or "huh...?" face alla time, and sooner or later I'll see s0mething that makes me go "Awww, fuck..." or "What the fuck izzat?" or even a "Holy fucking asscrackers!" before I ever notice that there's management, or shop foreman, or a customer around...

I think it's part of "being" a fixer... you tend to take every broken thing as a personal challenge. As you get more experienced, you do at least learn when it's time to cut your losses... most of the time.  :-DD

mnem
The moose is loose! Uhhh... tighten 'im up a little, willya...? ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #122413 on: June 10, 2022, 02:10:44 pm »
Since is cutting tool period, here's some of my collection. And since I know that not everybody will recognize one of the tools, here's Adam Savage presentation:

Crazy expensive here and the neighbors son got a buddy to bring a Bluepoint set (cheap Snapon) back from the US of A.

Me, I just use end snips (nail pullers) to twist up lock wires......plenty of practice twisting up tie wire already obtained tying steel reinforcing decades back.
Here is cheaper then a Lindström:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/6-in-safety-wire-twist-plier/product/PA0008434854

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #122414 on: June 10, 2022, 02:13:25 pm »
This should come in handy.

Tektronix PPM100 probe holder, even came in the original factory delivered box with all the foam inserts.  8)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122415 on: June 10, 2022, 02:19:29 pm »
Well the original post said protective earth and neutral were connected together which poes the rissk I described. If the green / yellow wire was only connected (or moved) to either side of the neutral tagstrip that is not good pactice but is no immediate risk IF it has a 4 wir connection with good protive earth. Trouble is it's inviting a mistake in the future if the riring is changed. If it a a spare link for a 3 wire connection then it should have been removed comletely and discarded when the 4 wire cord was installed.
The old design of no neutral so 110V parts in dryer connected to one phase and chassis ha it's own risk that a single fault of a disconnected earth will leave the metalwork of the dryer at 110V.

Yeah, somewhere in all the scroll I think you missed where I posted pretty much exactly the same thing you said here. I suggested he could leave the pigtail screwed to the back of the dryer cabinet to keep it out of trouble but not lost in case of future need:

Yes, absolutely; that is not to code here in the US. The entire point of the 4-wire pigtail is to keep GND and N separate. Doing this makes the GND a current-carrying conductor. BIG no-no!    :wtf:
Tell me what you think, this is how they installed it:      so I removed the yellow/green from the neutral white but...      

the freaking yellow/green is looping back to the neutral white on the top :-DD
           But... but... but...             Okay... that yellow/green GND pigtail is supposed to be removed when you install the 4-wire cord on the dryer.

The GND wire on the dryer cord is supposed to go under the green screw in the body of the dryer; this is supposed to be required by code.

He probably did that to keep the yellow/green pigtail from being lost in case a future owner needs to install a 3-wire cord...  Technically I suppose it doesn't matter, really... except it fails "the rule of least surprise/alarm" test I believe I've heard you mention before; it is definitely alarming at first glance and as described in random conversation. :-DD

In your case, I'd put it under the white screw (you can loop it in a knot to keep it out of trouble or just let it lay flat down the back of the dryer) that you have the GND wire from the dryer cord under.

Also, as none of those terminals have proper strain reliefs, I'd probably at least add a couple layers of heat-shrink to slow down the inevitable process of wire insulation creep. I've seen ones like that in service for a few years with 10-15mm bare wire hanging out the end of the terminal. 

But first, do a reality-check on those crimps to make sure they're tight-tight; I've seen some really horrible cheap ones where you could literally wiggle the wire out of the crimps on a brand-new cord.       

And now I think of it, they all looked just like that one. :o

mnem
eeep!

That covered the "storage of the link wire". It does not explain why connecting Neutral and Protective Ground together in the dryer is hazardous. That is what I was explaining. I'm still not clear if the Neutral and PG were connected by the installer and Zucca moved it or it was just in the (poor) "storage" connection. The photos do not give a view of both ends of the green/yellow wire in one image.

Yeah, I know. Z did explain that it looped around, but that was in the middle of a pretty long conversation and lots of text by the time you got to it.

EDIT: I know from personal experience that the default condition from the manufacturer should be PG plugged into the GND/NEUTRAL busbar, other end under the green/serrated GND screw. This makes installing a 3-wire cord a simple matter of 3 screws and the pass-through cable clamp at the bottom (if so equipped).

If you install a 4-wire plug, you unplug the PG from the busbar, unscrew the green/serrated GND screw from the cabinet, place your green GND wire from the plug under that.

You should NEVER have a green GND wire at the NEUTRAL bus bar in the terminal strip. This is the part that fails "the rule of least surprise/alarm" test.

Those pics were as the "installer" left it... after losing the correct green/serrated GND screw inside the dryer and "substituting" one from the back of the dryer for the green GND wire on the plug.  :palm:

I get what you're saying... but in order for it to actually pass any appreciable current the way you're describing, the installer would have to have put the NEUTRAL wire at the cabinet, then run the Green/Yellow pigtail up to the NEUTRAL/GND busbar. That was what I originally thought Z was describing, until he posted further explanation and those pics.  :-+

mnem
*tzzzt*
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 02:31:05 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122416 on: June 10, 2022, 02:39:58 pm »
... 54645D ...
I have this exact model and it is my go-to 'scope. You can even play Tetris on it  :)
Dear Judge, I plead guilty ...      Dunno who was first, HPAK or /me   My sin dates 2003, ballpark

Tetris? Asteroids!   https://youtu.be/hvfiwaboLK0
https://youtu.be/1uvKQ5nbClo   Honey Badger FTW!!!  :-DD

mnem
That reminds me... I really need to get that GPIB module cleaned up and installed; I might have Tetris too, then...

Oh... so not all scopes were shipped with the same egg then, there were several of them ?! ... and you can change it via GPIB cool......
How nice from HP.  Well I guess they didn't "allow" for that... but some bloke must have reverse engineered it I guess... he found the memory space where the egg was stored and we can use generic memory access GPIB routines to read that region of emory space to pull the egg, then write another egg to the same place... Hmmm need a GPIB module as well then... Can't wait to see what egg will be in my scope...

Nope. Those eastereggs were all from the HP engineering Dept; you can see the credits at the end of the games and right there in my Honey Badger graphic. They realized there was free space in the ROM of the scope and the GPIB adapters, and they had approval from the company to produce them.

It was still at least somewhat "Bill & Dave's HP" back then buddy. ;)

mnem
*toddles off to do something constructive*

« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 02:44:40 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122417 on: June 10, 2022, 02:47:06 pm »
On vi, this is year 30 for me. Feeling old  :-DD
Vi makes you wish you were retired. Knowing any more than a i x dw :wq indicates autistic fixations on minutiae.   At least with emacs you aren't "moded in", and when you don't like something you can change it. Plus you can put the kitchen sink in it :)
Escape Meta Alt Control Shift      I'll stay modal thanks  :-DD

And all y'alls wonder why I cringe just looking at a Python IDE...?

It's not just the shite I make when I code... it's what I become when I try.  :palm:

mnem

Inner codemonkey is not amused...

We all become the monkey. The trick is merely having an outward perception that you know what you are doing.

Apart from sitting on mind numbing meetings yesterday I spent most of the day trying to fix an LDAP permission loss bug. This turned out to be where one of the other monkeys had spelled Viewer as Viever. It took me 4 hours to find it because I have no idea what I am doing  :-DD
And how many days did the monkey at fault spend looking before they called you to HALO drop in and fixxor it...?  ;)

I never was that good at keeping the game face on while I'm actually working... doesn't matter what discipline; I get "worried face" or "huh...?" face alla time, and sooner or later I'll see s0mething that makes me go "Awww, fuck..." or "What the fuck izzat?" or even a "Holy fucking asscrackers!" before I ever notice that there's management, or shop foreman, or a customer around...

I think it's part of "being" a fixer... you tend to take every broken thing as a personal challenge. As you get more experienced, you do at least learn when it's time to cut your losses... most of the time.  :-DD

mnem
The moose is loose! Uhhh... tighten 'im up a little, willya...? ;)

Well this was a good one. It only did the LDAP operation periodically which was basically only if a user actually had logged out, then logged back in again. It reread the group permissions and asked LDAP what to make of the user. It then blindly copied whatever the group/role mappings were for the user. If there wasn't a match it just overwrote them and the user lost their default role. So to the original monkey it looked like it worked because it did for the 99% of users who never logged out. As for how long they waited before setting me on it, I don't know but the original thing had been in the repo for about a year and was pissing numerous users off on a regular basis. Of course it only affected Viewer permissions, not Editor or Admin permissions which meant that it actually worked for people with a high enough wizard ranking and they don't listen to the mere mortals down the bottom and just closed their ticket as "works for me"  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:. I did a little spreadsheet of costs incurred by this small bug. Probably incurred £2100-2900 of burned cash. There are 5815 tickets open still...

I swear a lot when I'm working so as for game face yes  :-DD

On your last point, spot on. After a lot of write offs though you sometimes just want to fix something at all costs just to get a win under the belt. That was this one  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122418 on: June 10, 2022, 02:54:21 pm »
It took me 4 hours to find it because I have no idea what I am doing  :-DD

But you are improving. Next time it will be six hours, right?

:-DD :-DD

Ah so you too understand the art of IT contracting  :-DD

Skills matrix for HR: AWS, python, go, Java, postgres, rust, c, c++, c#, azure, excel, antlr, Mathematica, sql server, JavaScript, typescript, swift, objective-c.

Skills matrix Reality: Casio basic, Googling, operating SaaS invoice software.

Didn't you forget "using emails and comments (etc) to armour plate your back", and "autogenerating C code from a higher level description, and defining that C code as the source code".

Ah yes. An elephant never forgets; a contractor always weaponises what the elephant didn't forget.

As for the C comment, it reminded me of this post I made a long time ago  :-DD https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/function-return-in-c/msg1285221/#msg1285221

I forgot something else I once saw: C source where there were gotos into the middle of the body of an if/then/else statement. WTF?!

I strongly suspect that C code was created by decompiling decomposing assembler into C.

FTFY.    >:D

mnem
What the engineer composes, the management will decompose...  ;)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122419 on: June 10, 2022, 02:56:09 pm »

Yes carbon not good for lighting strikes, but of course Airbus though that. Well, carbon is excellent conductor of course, but since it lives in a plastic matrix, plastic is not so good at conducting of course ! :-DD

Of course Airbus thought of that... so they made a Faraday cage all over the carbon fuselage : the top / outer most layer of the carbon sandwich that makes up the skin of the A/C, is composed of a bronze mesh that's there to conduct electricity. The A350 has been flying for a few years now, none of them has been destroyed by a lightning ;-)
Older design A/C with an aluminium skin were not exactly lightning strike proof anyway : sure they won't explode or beak up, but the impact still made a hole in the fuselage that needed to be cut out and plugged/patched ! The older the A/C the more patches you would see on the ceiling  :-DD

As for gliders I don't know, especially decades ago.... I can only speak for the A350, the modern stuff meant to carry paying passengers  >:D

If the gliders helped about that cool, but even without it I don't think Airbus wold have made a carbon skin without wondering about lightning strikes... they would have though of it and fixed the problem anyway I would think !   :scared:

Good summary Vince  :-+
Gliders have a far lower level of lightning protection by regulation than an airliner. Interference with electronic sytems and fuel tank ignition is more of a concern than structural failure in airliners.
Bringing it back on to locking wire, you can't use it in fuel tanks of modern aircraft because it causes arcs and sparks when subject to lightning strike effects. It has always been  bit frowned on in tanks anyway because it can cause FOD (Foreign Object Debris / Damage).

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122420 on: June 10, 2022, 03:04:33 pm »

Go to any racing circuit or aerodrome maintenance shop and you'll find a pair and a bale of lockwire. You probably won't find them in a bus garage shop anymore as they seem to have moved to lockwashers with plastic indicators, certainly for wheels and I've seen a few on a bus engine too. In motor racing lockwashers have always been acceptable too, but people didn't like them because scrutineers could miss them, fail a vehicle, and then have to be dragged back after an appeal to have the lockwasher pointed out - it's difficult to miss a string of lockwire.

Precisely this, from personal experience in both stock car and drag racing. So many hours spent drilling bolt heads and shopping hardened bolts with the heads already drilled... so many hours...    |O

mnem
"Go fast, turn left..."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122421 on: June 10, 2022, 03:08:45 pm »
RANDOM MODE:

mnem
Big brother is watching you.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #122422 on: June 10, 2022, 03:16:22 pm »

This is not an Airbus vs Boeing issue. The specifications were set based partly on the strength of the lightning strike on the glider.

This isn't the only time gliders have influenced airliners. Famously, gliders were using winglets decades before airliners, because they increased performance.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122423 on: June 10, 2022, 03:16:37 pm »
Good point... Andrew hasn't posted in a while indeed... now me worried ....  :(

Now that you mention it... looks like April since his last post.  :(

mnem
Time catches up with us all...

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122424 on: June 10, 2022, 03:32:14 pm »
Well the original post said protective earth and neutral were connected together which poes the rissk I described. If the green / yellow wire was only connected (or moved) to either side of the neutral tagstrip that is not good pactice but is no immediate risk IF it has a 4 wir connection with good protive earth. Trouble is it's inviting a mistake in the future if the riring is changed. If it a a spare link for a 3 wire connection then it should have been removed comletely and discarded when the 4 wire cord was installed.
The old design of no neutral so 110V parts in dryer connected to one phase and chassis ha it's own risk that a single fault of a disconnected earth will leave the metalwork of the dryer at 110V.

Yeah, somewhere in all the scroll I think you missed where I posted pretty much exactly the same thing you said here. I suggested he could leave the pigtail screwed to the back of the dryer cabinet to keep it out of trouble but not lost in case of future need:

Yes, absolutely; that is not to code here in the US. The entire point of the 4-wire pigtail is to keep GND and N separate. Doing this makes the GND a current-carrying conductor. BIG no-no!    :wtf:
Tell me what you think, this is how they installed it:      so I removed the yellow/green from the neutral white but...      

the freaking yellow/green is looping back to the neutral white on the top :-DD
           But... but... but...             Okay... that yellow/green GND pigtail is supposed to be removed when you install the 4-wire cord on the dryer.

The GND wire on the dryer cord is supposed to go under the green screw in the body of the dryer; this is supposed to be required by code.

He probably did that to keep the yellow/green pigtail from being lost in case a future owner needs to install a 3-wire cord...  Technically I suppose it doesn't matter, really... except it fails "the rule of least surprise/alarm" test I believe I've heard you mention before; it is definitely alarming at first glance and as described in random conversation. :-DD

In your case, I'd put it under the white screw (you can loop it in a knot to keep it out of trouble or just let it lay flat down the back of the dryer) that you have the GND wire from the dryer cord under.

Also, as none of those terminals have proper strain reliefs, I'd probably at least add a couple layers of heat-shrink to slow down the inevitable process of wire insulation creep. I've seen ones like that in service for a few years with 10-15mm bare wire hanging out the end of the terminal. 

But first, do a reality-check on those crimps to make sure they're tight-tight; I've seen some really horrible cheap ones where you could literally wiggle the wire out of the crimps on a brand-new cord.       

And now I think of it, they all looked just like that one. :o

mnem
eeep!

That covered the "storage of the link wire". It does not explain why connecting Neutral and Protective Ground together in the dryer is hazardous. That is what I was explaining. I'm still not clear if the Neutral and PG were connected by the installer and Zucca moved it or it was just in the (poor) "storage" connection. The photos do not give a view of both ends of the green/yellow wire in one image.

Yeah, I know. Z did explain that it looped around, but that was in the middle of a pretty long conversation and lots of text by the time you got to it.

EDIT: I know from personal experience that the default condition from the manufacturer should be PG plugged into the GND/NEUTRAL busbar, other end under the green/serrated GND screw. This makes installing a 3-wire cord a simple matter of 3 screws and the pass-through cable clamp at the bottom (if so equipped).

If you install a 4-wire plug, you unplug the PG from the busbar, unscrew the green/serrated GND screw from the cabinet, place your green GND wire from the plug under that.

You should NEVER have a green GND wire at the NEUTRAL bus bar in the terminal strip. This is the part that fails "the rule of least surprise/alarm" test.

Those pics were as the "installer" left it... after losing the correct green/serrated GND screw inside the dryer and "substituting" one from the back of the dryer for the green GND wire on the plug.  :palm:

I get what you're saying... but in order for it to actually pass any appreciable current the way you're describing, the installer would have to have put the NEUTRAL wire at the cabinet, then run the Green/Yellow pigtail up to the NEUTRAL/GND busbar. That was what I originally thought Z was describing, until he posted further explanation and those pics.  :-+

mnem
*tzzzt*

Nothin in the cabinet. See sketch from pole piig to drier. If neutral fails ALL the house (phase A) loads will return via the link in the dryer (and the dryer cord) even if the dryer is not in use. No fuse protection either :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf