Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16669788 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, Robert763, nfmax, djadeski and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #122375 on: June 10, 2022, 12:04:19 am »
... 54645D ...
I have this exact model and it is my go-to 'scope. You can even play Tetris on it  :)
Dear Judge, I plead guilty ...

Dunno who was first, HPAK or /me   My sin dates 2003, ballpark

Tetris? Asteroids!

Honey Badger FTW!!!  :-DD

mnem
That reminds me... I really need to get that GPIB module cleaned up and installed; I might have Tetris too, then...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122376 on: June 10, 2022, 12:17:37 am »
Edit: changed avatar. Ferengi mode activated  :-DD

I do have a question: Why did you choose Quark instead of him?   

Quark thinks he is the smart one but Rom is the tech genius AND her mother has asked Rom to look after Quark.

;D

Quark had about the same taste in women as me (Ro Laren ref)  :-DD

Edit: and about the same business acumen  :-DD

bd139 doesn't want the femmes to know he has the lobes... then they'd also know how easy it is to torture him with just a little oo-mox.  >:D

Rule of Acquisition #223: Beware the man who doesn't make time for oo-mox.

mnem
Rule of Acquisition #229: Latinum lasts longer than lust.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 12:41:09 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122377 on: June 10, 2022, 12:22:53 am »
...One for BD: Every girl is bi. You just have to figure out if it's polar or sexual.

... or both.

Assume it's both. You'll get in a lot less trouble.  :-DD

mnem
"Every man is a 'boob man'. And so are at least half the women." ~mom

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122378 on: June 10, 2022, 12:37:34 am »
  Fuck, Pat... I was looking for someone to talk me off the ledge, not run up 10 flights of stairs and jump off right next to me... :-DD

[Fx: sings]

Meet on the ledge, we're going to meet on the ledge
When my time is up, I'm going to see all my friends
If you really mean it, it all comes around again
When my time is up, I'm going to see all my friends
If you really mean it, it all comes around again

mnem
"...I'm going straight to hell;
Just like my mama said...
I'm going straight to hell.
The stars came out,
And warned me so;
As I walked on down the road..."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122379 on: June 10, 2022, 12:50:22 am »
On vi, this is year 30 for me. Feeling old  :-DD
Vi makes you wish you were retired. Knowing any more than a i x dw :wq indicates autistic fixations on minutiae.   At least with emacs you aren't "moded in", and when you don't like something you can change it. Plus you can put the kitchen sink in it :)
Escape Meta Alt Control Shift      I'll stay modal thanks  :-DD

And all y'alls wonder why I cringe just looking at a Python IDE...?

It's not just the shite I make when I code... it's what I become when I try.  :palm:

mnem

Inner codemonkey is not amused...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122380 on: June 10, 2022, 02:06:17 am »

And this is why I was wibbling over those Lindström cutters... I'd already spent my "Father's Day Gift to myself" allowance on those SR3000 speakers and this. Guess I was feeling a hole there somewhere; from that Yamaha HTR-5850 & the Onkyo TX-SV919THX I left in Canadia, I suppose. But this one's in good shape and only $70 with tax. We'll see how it compares to my old Pioneer VSX-917V.

https://www.manualslib.com/download/1073697/Sony-Str-Dg720.html

mnem
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 02:08:25 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122381 on: June 10, 2022, 02:52:42 am »
Random Parenthood Moment:

Little grrl still smiles when I kiss her goodnight... even if she's asleep.

mnem
Just like I used to... *wistful sigh*

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #122382 on: June 10, 2022, 03:16:45 am »
35 years of vi, sed, some awk, a BSD source license, an external who worked for CSRG, several years of AIX kernel and cluster debugging.
Unix insider joke:
boot vmunix.el

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #122383 on: June 10, 2022, 06:24:20 am »
FedEx dropped off a new toy today, and for a change it was shipped by someone who knew how to pack!  It was a pleasant surprise to receive a decently sized box, with the instrument well wrapped in large bubble wrap that was about three inches thick all told.  It looks to be in nice physical shape, and I should have a manual for it in my hands early next week.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122384 on: June 10, 2022, 06:28:08 am »

Vi makes you wish you were retired. Knowing any more than a i x dw :wq indicates autistic fixations on minutiae.

At least with emacs you aren't "moded in", and when you don't like something you can change it. Plus you can put the kitchen sink in it :)

Escape Meta Alt Control Shift

I'll stay modal thanks  :-DD

I learned (Unipress) emacs 40 years ago, on Microsoft's decent operating system - Xenix. Haven't used it much recently; IDEs do the heavy lifting.

I do use vi(le) for editing the various small config files in Unix systems.

This first point of mansaxel's is very valid.

25 years ago, as I was entering the dungeons of professional Unix consultancy, I was given one piece of advice, which I follow, when appropriate, to this day; "Learn what is on the machine as default, because that is all you'll be allowed to use." Hence, I learnt "vi" and "ed". It makes you faster.

... but that conclusion is only true for those that didn't learn editing on 5-channel paper tape.

Now I’ve woken up a bit this morning I would like to admit to my guilty secret of using Visual Studio Code for most stuff now. It has a wonderful remote editing over ssh feature which saves me a lot of pain. It’s about the only thing Microsoft have got right recently.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #122385 on: June 10, 2022, 06:34:14 am »
Since is cutting tool period, here's some of my collection. And since I know that not everybody will recognize one of the tools, here's Adam Savage presentation:

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, KrzysztofB, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122386 on: June 10, 2022, 06:45:42 am »
Vi makes you wish you were retired. Knowing any more than a i x dw :wq indicates autistic fixations on minutiae.   At least with emacs you aren't "moded in", and when you don't like something you can change it. Plus you can put the kitchen sink in it :)
Escape Meta Alt Control Shift      I'll stay modal thanks  :-DD

And all y'alls wonder why I cringe just looking at a Python IDE...?

It's not just the shite I make when I code... it's what I become when I try.  :palm:

mnem

Inner codemonkey is not amused...

We all become the monkey. The trick is merely having an outward perception that you know what you are doing.

Apart from sitting on mind numbing meetings yesterday I spent most of the day trying to fix an LDAP permission loss bug. This turned out to be where one of the other monkeys had spelled Viewer as Viever. It took me 4 hours to find it because I have no idea what I am doing  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #122387 on: June 10, 2022, 06:52:10 am »
It took me 4 hours to find it because I have no idea what I am doing  :-DD

But you are improving. Next time it will be six hours, right?

:-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 07:00:28 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122388 on: June 10, 2022, 07:05:27 am »

Ah so you too understand the art of IT contracting  :-DD

Skills matrix for HR: AWS, python, go, Java, postgres, rust, c, c++, c#, azure, excel, antlr, Mathematica, sql server, JavaScript, typescript, swift, objective-c.

Skills matrix Reality: Casio basic, Googling, operating SaaS invoice software.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 07:08:59 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, capt bullshot, cyclin_al

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122389 on: June 10, 2022, 07:11:21 am »
Well the original post said protective earth and neutral were connected together which poes the rissk I described. If the green / yellow wire was only connected (or moved) to either side of the neutral tagstrip that is not good pactice but is no immediate risk IF it has a 4 wir connection with good protive earth. Trouble is it's inviting a mistake in the future if the riring is changed. If it a a spare link for a 3 wire connection then it should have been removed comletely and discarded when the 4 wire cord was installed.
The old design of no neutral so 110V parts in dryer connected to one phase and chassis ha it's own risk that a single fault of a disconnected earth will leave the metalwork of the dryer at 110V.

Yeah, somewhere in all the scroll I think you missed where I posted pretty much exactly the same thing you said here. I suggested he could leave the pigtail screwed to the back of the dryer cabinet to keep it out of trouble but not lost in case of future need:

Yes, absolutely; that is not to code here in the US. The entire point of the 4-wire pigtail is to keep GND and N separate. Doing this makes the GND a current-carrying conductor. BIG no-no!    :wtf:
Tell me what you think, this is how they installed it:      so I removed the yellow/green from the neutral white but...      

the freaking yellow/green is looping back to the neutral white on the top :-DD
           But... but... but...             Okay... that yellow/green GND pigtail is supposed to be removed when you install the 4-wire cord on the dryer.

The GND wire on the dryer cord is supposed to go under the green screw in the body of the dryer; this is supposed to be required by code.

He probably did that to keep the yellow/green pigtail from being lost in case a future owner needs to install a 3-wire cord...  Technically I suppose it doesn't matter, really... except it fails "the rule of least surprise/alarm" test I believe I've heard you mention before; it is definitely alarming at first glance and as described in random conversation. :-DD

In your case, I'd put it under the white screw (you can loop it in a knot to keep it out of trouble or just let it lay flat down the back of the dryer) that you have the GND wire from the dryer cord under.

Also, as none of those terminals have proper strain reliefs, I'd probably at least add a couple layers of heat-shrink to slow down the inevitable process of wire insulation creep. I've seen ones like that in service for a few years with 10-15mm bare wire hanging out the end of the terminal. 

But first, do a reality-check on those crimps to make sure they're tight-tight; I've seen some really horrible cheap ones where you could literally wiggle the wire out of the crimps on a brand-new cord.       

And now I think of it, they all looked just like that one. :o

mnem
eeep!

That covered the "storage of the link wire. It does not explain why connecting Neutral and Protectivce Ground togeter in the dryer is hazardous. That is what I was explaining.
 I'm still not clear if the Neutral and PG were connected by the installer and Zucca moved it or it was just in the (poor) "storage" connection. The phots do not give a view of both ends of the green/yellow wire in one image.

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #122390 on: June 10, 2022, 07:15:52 am »
Since is cutting tool period, here's some of my collection. And since I know that not everybody will recognize one of the tools, here's Adam Savage presentation:
Just a good stuff on that picture.
Only right Lindstrom, not as that stupid ERGO line with plastic spring beeing gone all the time.

The following users thanked this post: Zoli

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #122391 on: June 10, 2022, 08:54:07 am »

Skills matrix for HR: AWS, python, go, Java, postgres, rust, c, c++, c#, azure, excel, antlr, Mathematica, sql server, JavaScript, typescript, swift, objective-c.

Didn't you forget "using emails and comments (etc) to armour plate your back", and "autogenerating C code from a higher level description, and defining that C code as the source code".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #122392 on: June 10, 2022, 09:25:39 am »
FedEx dropped off a new toy today, and for a change it was shipped by someone who knew how to pack!  It was a pleasant surprise to receive a decently sized box, with the instrument well wrapped in large bubble wrap that was about three inches thick all told.  It looks to be in nice physical shape, and I should have a manual for it in my hands early next week.

-Pat

A setup like this just sold the other day on Yahoo Auctions for 45650 yen.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #122393 on: June 10, 2022, 09:29:17 am »

Crazy expensive here and the neighbors son got a buddy to bring a Bluepoint set (cheap Snapon) back from the US of A.

Me, I just use end snips (nail pullers) to twist up lock wires......plenty of practice twisting up tie wire already obtained tying steel reinforcing decades back.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #122394 on: June 10, 2022, 09:43:24 am »
Show and tell re de VK5RC's cutters (from top right clockwise)

1 cheap top left - buy in lots of 5 have them all over the place and don't give a rats a.... about them - so they get 99% of the use - I think it was mnem who put me on to them
2 Old favourite - big ding in them -too big to file out - I should throw them out but a family hand down
3 Fujiya - best closure - will cut the braid absolutely and completely on the finest coax braid - blades are as soft as butter so that is all they do but they ALWAYS cut the braid - so nice when you are phaffing around trying not to get a braid fibre short in a crazy triax connector
4 Tronex - nice cutters but I don't like the foam handles
5 Silly twisting pliers - bought after seeing Savage's rave - not enthralled to be honest
(not cutters but put in here for a laugh)
6 Un-named but hardened cutters - rarely use - pretty tough but closure not perfect
7 Lindstrom - nice but too small and I have only medium sized hands
8 Tronex 2 - see Tronex  above but end-flush cutters
I am interested to see if others have different favourites
Rob

Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #122395 on: June 10, 2022, 10:04:06 am »
This top-right cutter looks like a Wiha side cutter. I have two of them, big and small one.
Those are the to-go sidecutters here.

https://www.wiha.com/au/en/tools/pliers/diagonal-cutters/wiha-electronic/1016/electronic-diagonal-cutters
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 10:08:51 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122396 on: June 10, 2022, 10:04:18 am »

Didn't you forget "using emails and comments (etc) to armour plate your back", and "autogenerating C code from a higher level description, and defining that C code as the source code".

Ah yes. An elephant never forgets; a contractor always weaponises what the elephant didn't forget.

As for the C comment, it reminded me of this post I made a long time ago  :-DD https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/function-return-in-c/msg1285221/#msg1285221

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122397 on: June 10, 2022, 10:06:48 am »

Oh yeah the guys at work at Airbus had that exact same tool !  >:D

As the guy in the video says, it's used on aircraft.. .though not as much as he says. Well at least not on the A350 and A400M I was working on.
I was doing quality control/inspection on the airframe and we don't use that kind thing for the airframe...for obvious reasons  >:D

However safety nuts are used for other ATA systems like typically the mechanical stuff. There are lots of adjustable rods to mount equipment in or around the airframe (in the belly), and although I have left the business a year ago now... IIRC all these rods once adjusted are secured with twisted wire.  Even though I was an airframe guy, I was once asked to inspect a twisted wire, I think on a PAX door. Again not my line of business so I had to read up in a hurry about it, and found a standard that explains how to twist the wires... and yes as anything in aircraft, everything is codified...and they tell you the "density" of twists that you must achieve. Just like there are threads per inch on a screw, there are " twists / turns per inch " when you twist a safety wire. I needs to be within X and Y turns per centimeter.

However twisting is a pain so when allowed/possible, ie when you have access to the tip of the screw (not possible on rods of course), then the preferred way is to use a castellated nut with a split/cotter pin. You can put the pin in two different ways, they allow both orientation of the pin. There s a preferred / default way, but the worker is allowed to use an alternate way if it preferes it for whateve reason, like access or just his mood... unless the engineer in the drawing explicitly enforces a particular orientation.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 10:17:04 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #122398 on: June 10, 2022, 10:22:38 am »

Ah yes. An elephant never forgets; a contractor always weaponises what the elephant didn't forget.

As for the C comment, it reminded me of this post I made a long time ago  :-DD https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/function-return-in-c/msg1285221/#msg1285221

I forgot something else I once saw: C source where there were gotos into the middle of the body of an if/then/else statement. WTF?!

I strongly suspect that C code was created by decompiling assembler into C.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122399 on: June 10, 2022, 10:25:53 am »
... 54645D ...
I have this exact model and it is my go-to 'scope. You can even play Tetris on it  :)
Dear Judge, I plead guilty ...

Dunno who was first, HPAK or /me   My sin dates 2003, ballpark

Tetris? Asteroids!

Honey Badger FTW!!!  :-DD

mnem
That reminds me... I really need to get that GPIB module cleaned up and installed; I might have Tetris too, then...

Oh... so not all scopes were shipped with the same egg then, there were several of them ?! ... and you can change it via GPIB cool......
How nice from HP.  Well I guess they didn't "allow" for that... but some bloke must have reverse engineered it I guess... he found the memory space where the egg was stored and we can use generic memory access GPIB routines to read that region of emory space to pull the egg, then write another egg to the same place...

Hmmm need a GPIB module as well then....

Can' wait to see what egg will be in my scope...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf