Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16670811 times)

tautech, tggzzz, Wolfgang, Vince and 67 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #122175 on: June 08, 2022, 01:33:22 pm »
I will be off the blog for a few days. Going on a short, but much anticipated, vacation (holiday). It's been a few years since my last get away and last Summer was a complete bust due to my now resolved medical issues.

There might be several vices involved but there will be no pictures, no evidence, no social media. And my lips will be forever sealed.  :P :-DD

Have a nice holiday, enjoy your time!  :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122176 on: June 08, 2022, 01:38:45 pm »
Problem is, it does not matter how much I ask... I am not the one developing the S/W so I have to make do with what's out there, like everyone else.
I am happy that you are happy... I am not and wil never be by the way IT is going. t me computers have long stopped being interesting and fun... now they are just a necessary evil to me, that I try to live with, spend as little time as possible messing with as it's not enjoyable, and spend as little money on them as possible. My PC is 15 years old and if I could I would keep it another 15 or 30 years. Sadly it's starting to look less and less feasible due to S/W bloat and this race for silly high picture and movie resolutions / bandwidth.  The race for clock speed stagnated, so now they have invented a new race, for pixels, to keep the industry going  :-\

Anyway sorry, I will just go and hide in a corner, with my Thomson TO-7 and optical crayon that goes with it ! ;D  Blip.... blip !
It is not just the race for picture resolution and bandwidth that is causing S/W bloat. These days everything S/W related seems to be expanding and consuming all available resources much like the alien amoeba in the classic 1958 horror film The Blob.

Example, I just bought a new wireless mouse and downloaded the driver for it; all 300MB of it. It is totally beyond my comprehension as to why it is necessary for a mouse driver to require 300MB of code to operate.

Well with Logitech there's the "Check whether you've registered the product" routines, the "registration reminder" routines, the "Check for updates every 3 seconds" routines, the "Forward your browser history" routines, the "pointless tray icon/program" that only ever get's used once but runs forever in the background, not forgetting how much of your CPU is being used by all of these.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #122177 on: June 08, 2022, 01:55:46 pm »
Well poop. The HP 8112A 50MHz Pulse Gen needs a difficult to obtain part...

I have already tested the transistor and logic chip described in the manual for this error code 'E12' yesterday, but I needed a TL072 op-amp to swap in place of the op-amp on the PCB to check it isn't faulty (and I needed some for my stock of parts) so i hit Akihabara for parts and swapped it out tonight but nope, no change.
I don't have any AD7522 D/A converter chips, but there are 6 on the PCB, so I swapped the suspect one with another, but again no change.

So the last piece in the puzzle is the A1U220 chip, a custom HP chip with part number 1DD6-0002. I swapped it with another chip of the same type elsewhere on the PCB and the Error code changed as expected. The chip I swapped the suspect one to should have given me Error E11, and it did, so that confirms a bad chip.

These chips run hot and need a working fan to keep cool, but the fan in my unit was busted so guess what happened.....  :-BROKE

Now, I need to find one of these 1DD6-0002 chips (and a new fan too)... They are a bit pricey on ebay. :P

Anyone got one spare? :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122178 on: June 08, 2022, 02:03:30 pm »
I will be off the blog for a few days. Going on a short, but much anticipated, vacation (holiday). It's been a few years since my last get away and last Summer was a complete bust due to my now resolved medical issues.

There might be several vices involved but there will be no pictures, no evidence, no social media. And my lips will be forever sealed.  :P :-DD   
Have a good time then you bloody killjoy, deny us any pleasure in seeing what you get upto  ;), hopefully lady cop will going with you?

I’m hitting Vegas in November. I’ll make up for med with photos you don’t want to see  :-DD
As long as they are not of an 80-year-old stripper in revealing poses, I think we might just risk it  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122179 on: June 08, 2022, 02:13:00 pm »

I have already tested the transistor and logic chip described in the manual for this error code 'E12' yesterday, but I needed a TL072 op-amp to swap in place of the op-amp on the PCB to check it isn't faulty (and I needed some for my stock of parts) so i hit Akihabara for parts and swapped it out tonight but nope, no change.
I don't have any AD7522 D/A converter chips, but there are 6 on the PCB, so I swapped the suspect one with another, but again no change.

So the last piece in the puzzle is the A1U220 chip, a custom HP chip with part number 1DD6-0002. I swapped it with another chip of the same type elsewhere on the PCB and the Error code changed as expected. The chip I swapped the suspect one to should have given me Error E11, and it did, so that confirms a bad chip.

These chips run hot and need a working fan to keep cool, but the fan in my unit was busted so guess what happened.....  :-BROKE

Now, I need to find one of these 1DD6-0002 chips (and a new fan too)... They are a bit pricey on ebay. :P

Oh I hate those bloody crates. Worst pulse gen ever. Unreliable as hell. Is it the main digital control timing IC doodad that blew up? I bought one of these years ago and it ended up back on eBay within a week.

I’d buy a couple more for spares  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122180 on: June 08, 2022, 02:13:34 pm »

Have a good time then you bloody killjoy, deny us any pleasure in seeing what you get upto  ;), hopefully lady cop will going with you?

I’m hitting Vegas in November. I’ll make up for med with photos you don’t want to see  :-DD
As long as they are not of an 80-year-old stripper in revealing poses, I think we might just risk it  :-DD :-DD

Hold my, erm, beer  >:D

More seriously, enjoy your holiday med  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #122181 on: June 08, 2022, 02:16:48 pm »

Oh I hate those bloody crates. Worst pulse gen ever. Unreliable as hell. Is it the main digital control timing IC doodad that blew up? I bought one of these years ago and it ended up back on eBay within a week.

The delay generator died... One of those damn chips... Of course it's the custom chips that die, not the common ones.....
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122182 on: June 08, 2022, 02:41:06 pm »

The delay generator died... One of those damn chips... Of course it's the custom chips that die, not the common ones.....

Urgh. Good luck with that.

As with all old test gear you need some more organ donors lying around  :o

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122183 on: June 08, 2022, 02:42:09 pm »

You could ask for a quote here: https://www.links.utsource.net/itm/p/4015720.html

McBryce.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #122184 on: June 08, 2022, 02:54:26 pm »
They stood up to my high school electronics class ... I was definitely one of the gentler students (ie. with half a clue what I was doing, instead of no clue).  I want one only for that reason.  This US price is getting more reasonable, but the cross-border shipping kills the deal...

You had electronics in high school?! Jealous
*raises a paw*   Ummm... wood shop, machine shop, and motorhead shop too...  :o

*remembering fondly that  moment when I asked old man Kirsch what 3-phase meant, and he drew those infamous 3 nested sine waves on the chalkboard...*

mnem
I also remember almost getting kicked out of school for bringing a MicroFlame torch      to solder some coil bobbins we made out of brass stock...     :-DD
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 02:57:14 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122185 on: June 08, 2022, 02:59:45 pm »
They stood up to my high school electronics class ... I was definitely one of the gentler students (ie. with half a clue what I was doing, instead of no clue).  I want one only for that reason.  This US price is getting more reasonable, but the cross-border shipping kills the deal...

Raise your jealously level: My 10 year old son has just started learning electronics in school! They call it IT and Technology, but they have already learnt basic transistor theory (using one as a switch).

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122186 on: June 08, 2022, 03:06:48 pm »

Raise your jealously level: My 10 year old son has just started learning electronics in school! They call it IT and Technology, but they have already learnt basic transistor theory (using one as a switch).

McBryce.

Yeah we had "tech" which was the same.

I designed and built a completely over-engineered fully analogue bomb timer. Was quite neat. Dip switches set an R2R DAC reference level for the timing target. A pulse generator (1/2 an LM358) generated pulses which were integrated (with another 1/2 an LM358). A comparator (LM311) decided that time was up. You could program a time from 10 seconds to about 5 minutes quite accurately! The tech teacher was both impressed and worried in equal measures.

We had all the parts in stock for this, PCB CAD software available on BBC Masters and PCB fabrication facilities in the school.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #122187 on: June 08, 2022, 03:07:17 pm »

Good for you!

We just spent an extended weekend in Lissabon. That was nice. Currently planning the large tour of Europe that's set to happen in July.  Lots of hotel bookings; almost all are one-nighters. Need to finish Bayeux-Lorient-Sauternes-Carcassonne-Montpellier-Dijon and also decide what happens after Senheim (Mosel).

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122188 on: June 08, 2022, 03:20:11 pm »
Canada Post just dropped off somewhat of a consolation prize.  This is not a U1253B like the one on Facebook Marketplace that fizzled spectacularly last week.

However, this U1231A was in like new condition and came with the Bluetooth dongle for about the price of of a new dongle, so effectively it was like buying a new U1177A and getting a free meter with it.  Sold!

Offline geerlingguy

• Jeff Geerling
« Reply #122189 on: June 08, 2022, 03:24:30 pm »
Please help, I've purchased six ratcheting screwdrivers this week, and I'm planning on buying a seventh. I never knew how good a ratcheting mechanism could be until I used a PB Swiss...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122190 on: June 08, 2022, 03:33:58 pm »
I think you may have the wrong forum. This is not ratchet screwdrivers anonymous  :-//

Although most posts in here are off topic  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #122191 on: June 08, 2022, 03:35:49 pm »

McBryce.

Yeah we had "tech" which was the same.

I designed and built a completely over-engineered fully analogue bomb timer. Was quite neat. Dip switches set an R2R DAC reference level for the timing target. A pulse generator (1/2 an LM358) generated pulses which were integrated (with another 1/2 an LM358). A comparator (LM311) decided that time was up. You could program a time from 10 seconds to about 5 minutes quite accurately! The tech teacher was both impressed and worried in equal measures.

We had all the parts in stock for this, PCB CAD software available on BBC Masters and PCB fabrication facilities in the school.

We were taught semiconductor band gap theory in physics, and making our own 0.1% analogue voltmeters for practicals.TTL was appallingly expensive, but w could desolder transistors.from PCBs.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #122192 on: June 08, 2022, 03:37:06 pm »
Please help, I've purchased six ratcheting screwdrivers this week, and I'm planning on buying a seventh. I never knew how good a ratcheting mechanism could be until I used a PB Swiss...

PB Swiss makes nice stuff...  Go for some Knipex pliers next.   >:D >:D  (You said you wanted help, right?  I'm trying to expand your horizons.)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122193 on: June 08, 2022, 03:38:47 pm »
Wow, the new Tek thread is turning ugly.  :horse:

There are some people that have a history of attacking me like this.
Doesn't matter what I say or how I say it, they'll find a way to misrepresent me.
I'm not allowed to like some things (the novel form factor) and not like other stuff about a product. If I don't 100% slam something they don't like then I'm a shill/whatever. And heaven forbid if I have an opinion on what the company was thinking durign the desing or marketing process, that again makes me an instant shill  ::)

This is a bit funny... because of recent conversations in here about the DE-5000, I went and looked up your 10-years ago teardown on the ITE version... (Oh, you looked so much younger and happier then, my friend; I guess a decade of herding all us maniacs has taken its toll... ;)) but you were actually quite impressed with the build quality and all the functionality they got out of essentially 2 black-blob components on a bit of FR-4. You also seemed flabbergasted that they brought it to market for ~$300 in a fitted full-kit case with AC adapter and probes, etc.

I'm sure that if you released the same vid today, you'd probably have to "curb your enthusiasm" quite a bit to prevent being utterly lambasted as a shill... which IMO, would really hurt the quality of the content.  :-\

Contrast the "New Tek" thread with this one about that vid (I couldn't find any that Dave started: I'm probably looking right at it and not seeing it tho  :-[):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-229-iet-de-5000-lcr-meter/msg78914/#msg78914

2 whole pages, and mostly about the actual chipset used, design of the thing and a little "shop talk" about the quality of the video recording due to the new "lab". bd139 is right... facts have nothing to do with it.  :palm:

*sigh*

h8ers gonna h8. Let 'em. Don't change a thing, Dave. Like what you like, and tell people aboot it.

mnem
 :clap:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 04:11:21 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, bd139, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122194 on: June 08, 2022, 03:52:04 pm »

Ahhh... going to get more current pics of octogenarian nonagenarian stripperella, huh...?

Awww, come on med... don't keep 'em to yerself!    ;D

mnem
Yes, I am an evil bastard. >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122195 on: June 08, 2022, 04:09:25 pm »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1795955/?topicseen#msg1795955

Thing is a joy in the hand, and easily 20 years old, but long ago discontinued. Look for the VIM Tools HBR5 or HBR8 bit ratchet if you can't find a NOS Husky #66604 like this one.

And welcome to the nuthouse!  :-+

mnem
*toolish ol' dwagon*

Offline geerlingguy

• Jeff Geerling
« Reply #122196 on: June 08, 2022, 04:21:33 pm »
PB Swiss makes nice stuff...  Go for some Knipex pliers next.   >:D >:D  (You said you wanted help, right?  I'm trying to expand your horizons.)

-Pat

Not quite sure if that's the type of 'help' my wife would like me to get!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122197 on: June 08, 2022, 04:23:34 pm »
   A bit of TE now. Had this old PSU I was given. It's very heavy and ugly and looked like a home made project... so I stored it away and didn't think too much of it.
(SNIP)
Yes... I like this PSU a lot. I think I will strip it from all the ugly crap that was bolted to it, to "clean it up", then make a nice cabinet for it, so that the guts aren't exposed anymore/at risk, and so I can make a nice front panel for it, and integrate it more easily in the lab with the rest of the TE. Yeah.... I think I have just added myself yet another project to the list !  >:D

Hi Vince,
That is not a "budget" power supply. It is a high performance professional "open Frame" PSU. It's intended to be built into a piece of equipment. They are a standardised basic design with interchangeable models made by many manufacturers. Specification and quality is high. They will run rated output 24/7 for years (some need a bit of fan cooling or heatsinking for full output). They are still made bu not not so common as SMPSUs have become popular. Still used for low noise and legacy applications. A new replacement for yours will cost £200-300 depending how many you buy.
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Bel-Power-Solutions/HDCC-150W-AG?qs=gCHJnwMCk7Ta3xAQtQTxFQ%3D%3D

They make great triple output bench power supplies but MUST be in a proper case for safety. Bringing the voltage trimmers out to pots on the panel will give some flexibility.

I was just about to post the same thing... this is exactly the same concept as the PSU used in my B&K 4070/BNC 625 Arb... a commodity PSU providing high-quality regulated +5V, +12V and +/- 15V DC supplies for any project using op-amps and digital processing.

I used a similar PSU to yours for years on my bench, installed just like you're talking about into a project box. A capital idea, I say! 

mnem
:-+
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 04:25:34 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #122198 on: June 08, 2022, 04:23:59 pm »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1795955/?topicseen#msg1795955

Thing is a joy in the hand, and easily 20 years old, but long ago discontinued. Look for the VIM Tools HBR5 or HBR8 bit ratchet if you can't find a NOS Husky #66604 like this one.

And welcome to the nuthouse!  :-+

mnem
*toolish ol' dwagon*

I'll second the recommendation of the HBR5 and 8.  Bought one of each a few years back based on mnem's suggestion here, and while not used too often, they are very handy when the need arises.  And after getting a new (old) Dana meter with bloody conical tamper-resistant screws on the top and bottom, I've also just ordered the Engineer screw removal pliers and a pair of the Knipex twin grips.  All should be here late this week.  (As you've likely already surmised, this place is NOT a healthy one for one's bank balance, but we have fun.)

-Pat
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 06:03:56 pm by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #122199 on: June 08, 2022, 04:24:36 pm »

Thing is a joy in the hand, and easily 20 years old, but long ago discontinued.

I stand by my earlier praise of the Facom R1Pico ratchet set. Current product.

For those who don't practice Science Measurements(tm) there are is a version with AF sockets, too, but since they're bog-standard 6,35mm square sockets, Ko-Ken or similar can be bought and augmented...  (Ko-Ken are one of the few who make British Association socket sets, where most others make open-end spanners and nothing else)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 04:39:22 pm by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf