Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16677733 times)

wkb, indeterminate, Robert763, factory and 36 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #122075 on: June 07, 2022, 03:39:34 pm »
Bought this at the recent hamfest. What should I control with it?

Use it to switch the amplifiers in your stereo system.  You have enough power amplification to dim the lights in your neighbourhood, right?  If not, you need more.

I had an idea a couple of years ago about (North American electrical system numbers here) what kind of amplifier could I do if I had exclusive use of a 15 amp 120 V wall socket with nothing else on the circuit staying within the 80% utilization factor specified by the electrical code as the limiting factor of the design.  Of course, I was eyeballing similar open frame switches at one of the surplus shops here as the master on/off for such a monstrosity.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122076 on: June 07, 2022, 03:42:50 pm »

A "nickel"? A "nickel"!?! A James II guinea, perhaps, but not a florin's worth of base American coinage. Really, this is Rolls-Royce we're talking about!

Oh, and as far as I can remember Rolls-Royce never used a V12 for a car until they became just a very posh BMW. Lots of inline 6s, inline 8s, and V8s, but not a V12. Their sister brand Bentley used V12s, but not Rolls-Royce. Rolls-Royce made lots of V12s, but they ended up in motorboats, tanks and famously planes.
Nope, I can't let you have that, Bentley have to the very best of my knowledge never used a V12, they use a VW W12, is in effect 2 V6 engines grafted together to make a W12 engine.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 04:09:02 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #122077 on: June 07, 2022, 03:52:47 pm »
Hmm, anyone got a spare AD7522LN D/A converter chip laying around?

I think I might need one for this HP 8112A 50MHz Pulse Generator, pending a couple more tests..
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #122078 on: June 07, 2022, 04:13:04 pm »
Ehhh... whatevs. Some coin with a flat edge. What I remember seeing from ages ago was a film short subject, IIRC... probably never intended for TV. Maybe it WAS Bentley... maybe it was the Cadillac V-16. Who fucking cares?  :-//
Well as it turns out you were correct, it was a Rolls Royce V12 and it indeed an English £1 coin which does very slight flats on it, but that does not detract from the smoothness of the engine. It is infact a BMW engine that RR have been using for some years, even before they brought RR, which is the reason that VW had to develop the W12 engine for their Bentley as BMW gave them notice to cease using their engines as Bentley was nothing other than a badge engineered RR at the time of the split between the two marques. 

I'm currently trying to host a video of the RR V12 test but it is proving to take a time, in the meantime, here is a BMW 6 cylinder that proves how smooth their engines are.

Much as I appreciate the support... what I remember was much older; I was still a kid when I saw it. Like I said a few posts ago, I remember it being some huge prewar land yacht; a contemporary of the V-16 Cadillac Phaeton, if not that car itself.  :-//

[soapbox]

What annoys me is the generally negative attitude in here sometimes... it's like every word you say is is under oath in a court of law, and subject to instant aggressive and hostile cross-examination.

If somebody says something you don't think is right, why does it instantly devolve into a confrontational scenario?

Instead of assuming somebody is making shit up and attacking, maybe we could try being constructive and figuring out what they really are thinking of, like Specmaster did here.  :-//

[/soapbox]

mnem
*toddles off to get mugged at the DMV*
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 05:00:33 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #122079 on: June 07, 2022, 04:20:33 pm »
You want ugly? This is what happens when you let a German company take over an iconic British motor brand. Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the BMW Rolls-Royce Cullinan:

...and still, why are we selling so many? The real problem are the people buying it not the product.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122080 on: June 07, 2022, 04:21:27 pm »
...But yeah, I get it. This POS has become a bit of a challenge now; you want to at least make it better than you found it.  :-DD :-DD

Ah that's easy that is

Did you see the pic of the front of that horrid thing...? It came that way from the factory.  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to find something amusing to do*

You want ugly? This is what happens when you let a German company take over an iconic British motor brand. Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the BMW Rolls-Royce Cullinan:

It's almost like it was revenge for the WWII nickname of "blockheads" for German soldiers. "Blockheads! You with your Rolls-Royce Merlin engines call us Blockheads. We will show you Blockhead..."

Looks like the Americans bought RR and rebuilt it around a shit Chrysler.

Either way there is no way in 2022 any rolls should be on the road. Grind ‘em all up and turn the giant metal gas guzzling cocks into trains.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #122081 on: June 07, 2022, 04:54:25 pm »

It's almost like it was revenge for the WWII nickname of "blockheads" for German soldiers. "Blockheads! You with your Rolls-Royce Merlin engines call us Blockheads. We will show you Blockhead..."

Either way there is no way in 2022 any rolls should be on the road. Grind ‘em all up and turn the giant metal gas guzzling cocks into trains.

I do really like the blue colour.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122082 on: June 07, 2022, 04:58:38 pm »

:popcorn:

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #122083 on: June 07, 2022, 05:03:45 pm »
I just read a post in this thread that at first I really wanted to respond to.

But then I calmed down and realized it wouldn't be advisable and would only cause more pages of debate for no reason.

I'm learning! I'm learning!

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139, factory, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #122084 on: June 07, 2022, 05:08:42 pm »

Naaaaaah, almost, but not quite.  :D

But the car itself is looking much better.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #122085 on: June 07, 2022, 05:13:07 pm »
Seems like there's been a lot of nonsense talked about Rolls Royce cars here while I was at work and unable to set the record straight.

Rolls Royce only ever produced one V12 car engine, in the 1936 Phantom III. Most of the engines they used over the years were straight sixes, with the last real Rollers using a V8, in fact Rolls were the first company to use one in a production car (in 1905, a decade before Cadillac).

As has been pointed out, modern "Rolls Royce" cars use the BMW derived V12, and as a point of reference BMW advertised the earlier version of their V12 in the late 1980s by balancing the UK pound coin on the engine. At the time I was working in a Nissan franchise, and discovered I could do the same on a Nissan Micra 1 litre inline-4. Beware what you believe in the marketing...
EDIT: May have been a 50 pence piece.

To correct a misapprehension Specmaster, the W12 is not two V6's stuck together, the W-configuration uses a double stack of cylinders per bank. The Aston Martin V12 of the late 90s was in broad terms two Mondeo V6's joined end to end.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 05:25:36 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122086 on: June 07, 2022, 05:13:35 pm »

...and still, why are we selling so many? The real problem are the people buying it not the product.

So the excuse is "We don't actually have terrible bad taste, we're just deliberately catering to people with terrible bad taste"? Hardly exculpatory...  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122087 on: June 07, 2022, 05:16:39 pm »
Wow, the new Tek thread is turning ugly.  :horse:

Just like the new Tek. Need the 80 year old stripper to cleanse my mind  :-DD

Haven't I done that enough in discord already?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122088 on: June 07, 2022, 05:18:01 pm »
When Toyota makes a Rolls Royce:

mnem
Even Toyota knows Lexus is for posers.  ;)
I watched that same video last week, impressive car in many ways. Many of the features they discuss, footrests etc, my car has as well and that drop down panel in the front passenger seat, my car can also have that in just about every country where they are sold, except the UK  :palm:

Except Toyota were doing this back in the 1980s.

youtube.com/watch?v=1uqgHZxBE8A

mnem

Eehhhh, give me the engine, throw away the rest.

I see them here regularly, driven by guys in French-navy blue suits with white gloves sitting exactly on the (waay too low) speed limit everywhere they go.
Such a disservice to such an engine.

I saw a vid a couple of years back with some guys that had fitted a racing exhaust to one, the noise was like an F1, the looks they got hilarious. I'll see if I can find it after work.

Check out what Smokey Nagata was doing with his Top Secret V12 converted Supra years ago. Pretty insane stuff.

Here we go:

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122089 on: June 07, 2022, 05:24:35 pm »
...But yeah, I get it. This POS has become a bit of a challenge now; you want to at least make it better than you found it.  :-DD :-DD

Ah that's easy that is

Did you see the pic of the front of that horrid thing...? It came that way from the factory.  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to find something amusing to do*

I have no problems whatsoever with RR as used for livery/limo/official use, which was the express intent of the Toyota Century which started this conversation. A lot of important business happens in that space; and while a lot of skullduggery happens there too, I'd still rather that than watching the governments of the world 🌎 come to a grinding, whinging, bureaucratically mired halt.

What little good does come of buearacracy usually happens on the way to doing something else.

mnem
*on line at the DMV*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122090 on: June 07, 2022, 05:33:20 pm »
World exclusive, nice!

Oh...

Sorry Dave, but it did make me chuckle a bit...   ::)
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122091 on: June 07, 2022, 05:41:26 pm »

There's been a trend over the last 30 years for British and European cars to just get pointlessly bigger, and bigger, and bigger. Sticking with BMW, for no reason other than their name is already on the table, the 1980's 3 series was a sensible mid-sized car, fractionally smaller than its contemporary the Ford Sierra. The current 3 series only just fits into a supermarket parking bay or even overhangs the end of some - it's huge about 400mm longer than the 80s version and 200 mm wider. The Issigonis Mini next to a BMW 'Mini' makes a very telling comparison. Modern 'small' cars are the size of 70s 'large' cars.

You could do it with any brand, BMW are no worse or better than the others.

At the same time, power to weight ratios have been climbing too, with the result that all the efficiency gains in engine design have been eroded by increased weight and higher performance. A 1980's supercar, the Ferrari 308 GTS with ~200 bhp and a 0-60mph time of 7.3s is eclipsed by the 276 bhp Ford Focus ST with a 5.8s 0-60 time or pretty much any contemporary 'hot hatch'.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122092 on: June 07, 2022, 05:44:59 pm »

Maybe they think a bit like me when it comes to cars, I think less about what the car looks like to others, what I care most about is what is it like to sit in, spend a lot of time in it driving. Is it a nice place to be in, does it drive nicely, is it comfortable, does it tick all the boxes for me as the person in it and driving it etc, after all, I can't see the outside from the driver's seat. That is for others to spend time, or, not looking at, not me.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, cyclin_al

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #122093 on: June 07, 2022, 05:50:43 pm »
So the excuse is "We don't actually have terrible bad taste, we're just deliberately catering to people with terrible bad taste"? Hardly exculpatory...  >:D

I am an EE, I do not have taste for beauty in product. I don't care about colors and shapes, I have SWMBO for that.... . What matters is the service manual and if the product works, and works 100% rock stable without glitches.... give me numbers not fashion stuff...

That said I am not in the position to judge how beautiful or ugly a car is, nor to state who screw up on the esthetic/design.

I am just stepping back and see people buying "ugly stuff" and ask myself why? Since there is no math involved I am out of the discussion. Thank God.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122094 on: June 07, 2022, 06:13:21 pm »

I am an EE, I do not have taste for beauty in product. I don't care about colors and shapes, I have SWMBO for that.... . What matters is the service manual and if the product works, and works 100% rock stable without glitches.... give me numbers not fashion stuff...

That said I am not in the position to judge how beautiful or ugly a car is, nor to state who screw up on the esthetic/design.

I am just stepping back and see people buying "ugly stuff" and ask myself why? Since there is no math involved I am out of the discussion. Thank God.

An Italian with no élan, no sense of style, you're destroying my sense of how the world works. Next thing you'll be telling me is that Vince doesn't lounge around smoking Gitaines, discussing art or Molière, while wearing a Breton jersey and a beret.  :scared:

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122095 on: June 07, 2022, 06:14:17 pm »

mnem
Eehhhh, give me the engine, throw away the rest. I see them here regularly, driven by guys in French-navy blue suits with white gloves sitting exactly on the (waay too low) speed limit everywhere they go.

Not really. This is exactly the service this engine was designed for; for the same exact reason RR used a V-12: smooth, even power that caters to livery driving rather than performance. Completely different design ethos here: The old RR adverts showed the engine running with a nickel balanced on edge on a valve cover or air cleaner; that is the mindset we're talking about.

mnem

Very few Rolls Royce cars had  / have V12 engines. Just a few between 1936 and 1939 and the current ones with a BMW V12. Aero, boat and tank engines are an other matter. Maybe you are thinking of Jaguar?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #122096 on: June 07, 2022, 06:26:24 pm »
An Italian with no élan, no sense of style, you're destroying my sense of how the world works. Next thing you'll be telling me is that Vince doesn't lounge around smoking Gitaines, discussing art or Molière, while wearing a Breton jersey and a beret.  :scared:

Believe me if I tell you I am a strange Italian. A real Italian should never leave his heavenly country and his family to make money somewhere else on this planet. Believe me it is hard to be so far away from Italy.

That said I normally can see the difference between chocolate and shit.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 06:28:36 pm by Zucca »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122097 on: June 07, 2022, 06:28:10 pm »
Seems like there's been a lot of nonsense talked about Rolls Royce cars here while I was at work and unable to set the record straight.

Rolls Royce only ever produced one V12 car engine, in the 1936 Phantom III. Most of the engines they used over the years were straight sixes, with the last real Rollers using a V8, in fact Rolls were the first company to use one in a production car (in 1905, a decade before Cadillac).

As has been pointed out, modern "Rolls Royce" cars use the BMW derived V12, and as a point of reference BMW advertised the earlier version of their V12 in the late 1980s by balancing the UK pound coin on the engine. At the time I was working in a Nissan franchise, and discovered I could do the same on a Nissan Micra 1 litre inline-4. Beware what you believe in the marketing...
EDIT: May have been a 50 pence piece.

To correct a misapprehension Specmaster, the W12 is not two V6's stuck together, the W-configuration uses a double stack of cylinders per bank. The Aston Martin V12 of the late 90s was in broad terms two Mondeo V6's joined end to end.

I was under no misapprehension, the Volkswagen W12 engine (this is the one used in Passat, Phaeton, Audi and Bentley) is in fact as I stated 2 V6 engines grafted together to form a "W" kind of configuration to allow 12 cylinders to fit in the same length of space as a V6 engine. A V6 with a V6 mated to it in line just becomes a V12, the same as you mentioned, Aston Martin, BMW and hence Rolls Royce also use V12. But the Bentley does not use a V12, it uses a W12 and uses a clever but complicated system to effectively shut down 1 V6 engine when cruising by killing ignition and fuel to that half of the engine for economy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_W-12_engine

EDIT Correction, the Passat was a W8, 2 V4's joined together in the same fashion.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 06:33:58 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122098 on: June 07, 2022, 06:41:12 pm »

NAWTS

I have ordered 20 RC4194D from here: https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/404529.html
This is one of the cheapest sources I was able to find online.
It seems, that those parts are used ones. Will report back when they arrive.

On a side note: New customers are getting a 10% discount on the ordered parts for their first order.
But why - as they would offer you the RM4194D at about the same price?
But nevertheless, please let me know how it did work out!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 06:48:27 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122099 on: June 07, 2022, 06:49:31 pm »

mnem
Eehhhh, give me the engine, throw away the rest. I see them here regularly, driven by guys in French-navy blue suits with white gloves sitting exactly on the (waay too low) speed limit everywhere they go.

Not really. This is exactly the service this engine was designed for; for the same exact reason RR used a V-12: smooth, even power that caters to livery driving rather than performance. Completely different design ethos here: The old RR adverts showed the engine running with a nickel balanced on edge on a valve cover or air cleaner; that is the mindset we're talking about.

mnem

Very few Rolls Royce cars had  / have V12 engines. Just a few between 1936 and 1939 and the current ones with a BMW V12. Aero, boat and tank engines are an other matter. Maybe you are thinking of Jaguar?

Again, not sure. As I've said several times now, the advert movie short I remember seeing was as a kid, long before the VeeDub cabal raped all of European motorcar-dom to death and wore their skins for clothing like Reavers from Firefly. It was a big old prewar land-yacht; a contemporary of the V-16 Caddy Phaeton.

All of that jibes with what you and AVGResponding are saying, and I have no doubt they would have re-used that idea for an ad later on; it was very iconic.

Just because you can't find something on the intardnet right now doesn't mean it didn't happen; just as we all know approx 2/3 of what we do find is utter BS.

mnem
*toddles off to pick up the dwagonlings from school*
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 07:17:56 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf