Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16509374 times)

flo.b, 3apw and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, syau

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #121726 on: June 04, 2022, 03:52:16 am »
USA grid in 2022, today

21:28
power out, 7.45 VAC in the power plugs do not know which phase...

21:31
power is back but lights are weak
74.45VAC instead of 110VAC in the plugs

21:35
in the dark again. don't bother to measure....

I disconnected my entire home from the grid now.
1 First check if some lights are back on in the street
2 then measure what the grid is delivering
3 if voltages ok then flip the home back on

according to the web more than 1000 homes are in the dark.

it will be an interesting night without AC.

I simply do not trust this grid... at all.

EDIT: see attached pics... burn baby burn

:horse:

I know how it feels.  My generator ran part-time and has accumulated another 40 hours of use:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/power-outage-ottawa-duration-storm-1.6471982

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121728 on: June 04, 2022, 04:20:52 am »
VOLTAGE REGULATORS

I don't have any low current ones, which I guess makes sense since I have only beefy TO220 and TO3 packages. Since these can put out 1 or 1.5Amp, why would any manufacturer artificially limit them to 500mA ?! So I guess the only 'L' 500mA ones are those supplied in small packages like TO92 or SOT23 surface mount something or other. I don't have these.

OK Murphy !

I have just finished sorting and organizing them all... just need to update my spreadsheet and print labels.... tomorrow. 2AM here I am going to bed.

So out of nearly 100 regulators.... guess what, yes I found ONE that proves me wrong... ONE TO220 package that's low current !  :o

But it's not an 'L' , it's an 'M' !

A 78M12 ...so I pulled the datasheet and yeah, it's a 500mA version ! Why... why do these things even exist !  |O 
Makes for a smaller pass transistor inside, makes the regulator half a cent cheaper maybe ? I guess for high volume commercial electronics it can count ?!  :-//

So the 500mA version is an 'M'... so what is an 'L' ? I pulled the datasheet for that one as well. It's also a low current version indeed, but not 500mA, no.... the 'L' is only 100mA ! THESE are indeed the ones that come in the tiny packages, TO92 and surface mount.
Datasheet says these are intended mostly as an improved " Zener + resistor " replacement. I guess why not, makes sense...

Well thanks everyone for your participation, that was quite a refresher on these regulators. Think I now have my basics right...

:=\

Didn't you find any TO-3 ones with a "K" suffix? The LM323K is 5V 3A, for instance. The LM7812K is rated for 1.5A.
And 78Sxx in TO220 are rated 2A. So you have neither LMx09 nor LMx40 regulators? And neither LMx17, x37, x50 nor LMx38? And an LT1070 should also be at hand when needed! Vince, you really need to round out your collection!
Tsktsktsk

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121729 on: June 04, 2022, 04:37:39 am »
He's mad.

Not at all.

If anything, I wouldn't have expected the kind of stereotyping and bashing I've seen here over the last day or two. That said, I have a real life and better use for my time and energy.

I'm not bashing Ham Radio. I'm simply reporting what I see and hear. The amateur community does the bashing all by themselves. All one has to do is tune the HF bands and a majority heard is plain jackassery and dumbasses.

That's the meat and potatoes of the issue right there, actual lived experience.  It is what it is unless you or I or anyone else are prepared to ignore it.

Mid-morning, one of my friends called from about halfway between his place and mine and it turned out we both had the day off so he drove out here and we jumped into my car since he hadn't been in my new car yet, had lunch at a restaurant nearby and took some pictures down by the lake.  One of the things were were talking about were cars and how even one sufficiently bad experience of the "I bought a Citation and I'll never buy GM again"-type to pick one example can be a lifelong deal breaker for things.  The same can easily be extended to anything, really, including hobbies.

Then again, we already have our share of frustrated old geezers around so we don't need any more on the air. Thanks for deciding to stay away.

I can't say that has changed my opinion for the better.
If I had just bought a Citation, I would also be sure never to buy GM again. Even if it was only an old and shabby I or II!
 :-//

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121730 on: June 04, 2022, 04:41:57 am »
It was an Agilent U1253B

It reminds me this

Ooooh! Maybe it has cheatcodes! HoldHoldRangeRangeHzHzShift turns the surprise Megger function on - and zaps your circuit!
 :-DD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #121731 on: June 04, 2022, 04:51:25 am »

So you're saying you've actually tried to refrigerate Butthead Bob's corpse (or someone like him ;)) under the raised floor, and you know it is a fail from personal experience...?

Do tell us more...  >:D

That would give the investigators too much to work with  :-DD :-DD

More seriously, computer room cooling gear gives 15° C air or so, perhaps down towards 10° if you can turn off machines. Most modern cooling systems around here work with free-flow cool water (like from geothermal), not with compressors, because it's much cheaper. All in all, not a good fridge temp, and obviously not suitable for freezing something or keeping an unbutchered carcass for long.

Morgue fridges typically are closer to 4° C, and you'll still  better embalm people (inject ~3 litres of formaldehyde solution, dyed red, via arteria femoralis) if they're not to float off the stretcher after a week..

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #121732 on: June 04, 2022, 05:05:51 am »

Disquieting :) Vicious rotor winds in the mountains?

An aircraft I'd been in had the main wing strut bend in flight. The passengers quickly exited, and the pilot managed to land safely.

I hope not in this order, though!

Yes, in that order. They weren't foolish enough to hang around.

Passengers or parachutists ? Somone who takes off in an aircraft not intending to be in it when i lands is not a passenger.
People on an aircraft are either passengers or aircrew. Aircrew operate the aircraft in flight. The parachutists took no part in operating the aircraft, apart from (possibly) opening the door.

Not  quite right even for public transport, there are also cabin crew. For aerial work (parachuting is aerial work) there are also mission personnel and parachutists.
Also when I fly for flight testing I am neither flight crew or passenger.

I took the "definition" from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircrew

No doubt there are other equally valid/invalid definitions depending on which shade of gray you regard as black/white :)

Well the EASA definition is "Flight crew’ means a licensed flight crew member charged with duties essential to the
operation of an aircraft during a flight duty period."
https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Annexes%20to%20the%20draft%20Commission%20Regulation%20.pdf

Cabin crew is "“Cabin crew member” means an appropriately qualified crew member, other than a flight crew or technical crew member, who is assigned by an operator to perform duties related to the safety of passengers and flight during operations;"
https://www.easa.europa.eu/faq/19130

Note Flight crew have to be licenced. I am qualified as Flight Crew but for a position that is little used. That said I have flown as a flight crew member on scheduled public transport flight due to a technical failure meaning a additional flight crew member being required and no pilot being available.

TCCA uses the exact same terminology in the CARs.  When something is that consistent, I suspect the source is from ICAO, which makes sense.

I am qualified as Flight Crew but for a position that is little used.

Well that is a first, to actually know of someone who is a FE!

I guess you are more commonly in the role of FTA for FTE?

-- spent the morning meeting with the highest-up FTPs and FTAs...

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #121733 on: June 04, 2022, 07:12:02 am »

A small riddle (most probably suitable for the Europeans only): what is the error that I deliberately introduced here:

The order is looking a bit strange.
brown = L1
black = L2
grey = L3

Correct!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 07:20:44 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #121734 on: June 04, 2022, 07:13:42 am »
Glad you managed to get it working... that now reminds me I have a 453 of my own taking up space under the bench.... bought 9 months ago... started work on it. Never saw a trace on the thing, no HV. As I was working on it I saw the magic smoke escape from the HV transformer.... which is not good a tall, me thought back then !  |O
You all gave me good advice and info so maybe I will find the courage to unwind the transformer and see if I can fix the wire that blew. Hopefully I don't have to unwind the transformer 100% to find the scene of the accident...  :palm:

Came across this the other day actually which might be helpful :D

[/quote]

Thanks, BD - I think that will be VERY helpful and inspirational once I get the 547 back up on the bench, though that'll probably not happen until cooler weather returns - summer is more a play-with-solid-state-stuff time, especially with the current cost of angry pixies - cant see using them to run an air conditioner while six feet away simultaneously using still more of them to generate heat in old Tek iron - strikes me as rather counter productive.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121735 on: June 04, 2022, 07:15:27 am »
Half cross-section on N?

The blue lab cable isn't labeled (except MC brand), but I'd guess it has the same 0.75mm² as the colourful ones. Anyway, for this setup I wouldn't mind if it was less cross section than the others - it's not carrying any current worth talking about, the transformer doesn't have the neutral pinned out.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 07:24:44 am by capt bullshot »

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121736 on: June 04, 2022, 07:16:10 am »
The earth wire coming from the left, is not connected to anything... might as well not be there ?!  :box:

Yes, true - but I wouldn't call this an intentional error in a lab setup.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121737 on: June 04, 2022, 07:54:00 am »

Disquieting :) Vicious rotor winds in the mountains?

An aircraft I'd been in had the main wing strut bend in flight. The passengers quickly exited, and the pilot managed to land safely.

I hope not in this order, though!

Yes, in that order. They weren't foolish enough to hang around.

Passengers or parachutists ? Somone who takes off in an aircraft not intending to be in it when i lands is not a passenger.
People on an aircraft are either passengers or aircrew. Aircrew operate the aircraft in flight. The parachutists took no part in operating the aircraft, apart from (possibly) opening the door.

Not  quite right even for public transport, there are also cabin crew. For aerial work (parachuting is aerial work) there are also mission personnel and parachutists.
Also when I fly for flight testing I am neither flight crew or passenger.

I took the "definition" from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircrew

No doubt there are other equally valid/invalid definitions depending on which shade of gray you regard as black/white :)

Well the EASA definition is "Flight crew’ means a licensed flight crew member charged with duties essential to the
operation of an aircraft during a flight duty period."
https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Annexes%20to%20the%20draft%20Commission%20Regulation%20.pdf

Cabin crew is "“Cabin crew member” means an appropriately qualified crew member, other than a flight crew or technical crew member, who is assigned by an operator to perform duties related to the safety of passengers and flight during operations;"
https://www.easa.europa.eu/faq/19130

Note Flight crew have to be licenced. I am qualified as Flight Crew but for a position that is little used. That said I have flown as a flight crew member on scheduled public transport flight due to a technical failure meaning a additional flight crew member being required and no pilot being available.

TCCA uses the exact same terminology in the CARs.  When something is that consistent, I suspect the source is from ICAO, which makes sense.

I am qualified as Flight Crew but for a position that is little used.

Well that is a first, to actually know of someone who is a FE!

I guess you are more commonly in the role of FTA for FTE?

-- spent the morning meeting with the highest-up FTPs and FTAs...

Nope, not a Flight Engineer, even less used: Radio Operator.  Technically as a Avionics engineer you need one to test the radios on air, even VSWR testing. Most engineers don't bother though. I flew as flight crew when a faulty autopilot required an additional crewmember to reduce workload on the normal crew.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121738 on: June 04, 2022, 09:20:54 am »
Heads up UK TEA members. It's 70% eBay voucher day. That means the grand exchange of gear is on  :-DD

The Black Star 2010 is going, some books and a couple of excess apple input devices I have are going up today here. Objective is to make enough cash this week to grab an AWG  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121739 on: June 04, 2022, 09:21:59 am »
I think you missed my point... to completely repurpose said chill air delivery for keeping Butthead Bob frosty. That said... yes, I know it's silly. That was kinda the whole point. ;)

That won't work, either. BTDTGTTS. (Yes, actually, I've worked in a morgue!)
I'll see your morgue and raise you a crematorium.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #121740 on: June 04, 2022, 10:18:23 am »
VOLTAGE REGULATORS

I don't have any low current ones, which I guess makes sense since I have only beefy TO220 and TO3 packages. Since these can put out 1 or 1.5Amp, why would any manufacturer artificially limit them to 500mA ?! So I guess the only 'L' 500mA ones are those supplied in small packages like TO92 or SOT23 surface mount something or other. I don't have these.

OK Murphy !

I have just finished sorting and organizing them all... just need to update my spreadsheet and print labels.... tomorrow. 2AM here I am going to bed.

So out of nearly 100 regulators.... guess what, yes I found ONE that proves me wrong... ONE TO220 package that's low current !  :o

But it's not an 'L' , it's an 'M' !

A 78M12 ...so I pulled the datasheet and yeah, it's a 500mA version ! Why... why do these things even exist !  |O 
Makes for a smaller pass transistor inside, makes the regulator half a cent cheaper maybe ? I guess for high volume commercial electronics it can count ?!  :-//

So the 500mA version is an 'M'... so what is an 'L' ? I pulled the datasheet for that one as well. It's also a low current version indeed, but not 500mA, no.... the 'L' is only 100mA ! THESE are indeed the ones that come in the tiny packages, TO92 and surface mount.
Datasheet says these are intended mostly as an improved " Zener + resistor " replacement. I guess why not, makes sense...

Well thanks everyone for your participation, that was quite a refresher on these regulators. Think I now have my basics right...

:=\

Didn't you find any TO-3 ones with a "K" suffix? The LM323K is 5V 3A, for instance. The LM7812K is rated for 1.5A.
And 78Sxx in TO220 are rated 2A. So you have neither LMx09 nor LMx40 regulators? And neither LMx17, x37, x50 nor LMx38? And an LT1070 should also be at hand when needed! Vince, you really need to round out your collection!
Tsktsktsk

Thanks for reminding me about the S series. There's at least one still missing from the list however - the L200!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #121741 on: June 04, 2022, 11:39:12 am »
My project for the morning: M.2 storage for my main PC - one SATA & one PCIe. Accumulating stack of platter drives for posterity.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #121742 on: June 04, 2022, 12:55:56 pm »
Digging into this TDS794D now. I ran the extended self-test from the utility menu and got a useful error.

Code: [Select]
"ERROR: diagnostic test failure, digDataFormatDiag,  ERROR!!BYTE mode, in demux 198 ,i= 20 memBaseAdr 0x730002a=  data = ffffb400, expectedData[i] = 3400"
Looks like my suspected RAM error, I suspect that ffff is what's making the spikes on the display, pegging the data out at maximum for that value. So next step is to try to figure out what chip contains address 0x730002a so I can avoid shotgun replacing these RAM chips..
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121743 on: June 04, 2022, 01:23:41 pm »
When a seller on Amazon is selling a Rigol DS1054z for $82. And that's in Canadian. Ummm what? Not touching that with a trillion foot barge pole!

https://www.amazon.ca/Rigol-DS1054Z-4-channel-Digital-Oscilloscope/dp/B012938E76/

It has to be a weird product mix up.

I'll let you know I just ordered one   ;D

Hmm got a fedex tracking number. Something is coming  ;D

Well well, look at what Fedex just dropped over here. If i'm not mistaken it's a 65$US Rigol scope  :-DD

« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 01:29:18 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, mansaxel, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #121744 on: June 04, 2022, 01:32:05 pm »
Turns out the 'Retro Chip Tester' I recently built as a kit from The 8-Bit Museum will test the 71024 128k x 8 1Mb RAM chips used in the TDS scopes! Yay!  ;D
Turns out I don't have a SOJ-32 to DIP adapter.. Booo.  :scared:

Anyone know if a SOJ-32 ZIF socket exists? Otherwise I'll probably have to get something like this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32813703531.html
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121745 on: June 04, 2022, 01:35:00 pm »
When a seller on Amazon is selling a Rigol DS1054z for $82. And that's in Canadian. Ummm what? Not touching that with a trillion foot barge pole!

https://www.amazon.ca/Rigol-DS1054Z-4-channel-Digital-Oscilloscope/dp/B012938E76/

It has to be a weird product mix up.

I'll let you know I just ordered one   ;D

Hmm got a fedex tracking number. Something is coming  ;D

Well well, look at what Fedex just dropped over here. If i'm not mistaken it's a 65$US Rigol scope  :-DD

If this thing actually works, I'll be jealous as hell!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 01:41:41 pm by YurkshireLad »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121746 on: June 04, 2022, 01:39:41 pm »
If that works it's a good deal. Fingers crossed for you.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121747 on: June 04, 2022, 01:45:54 pm »
Look brand new and had the factory seal. I would be surprise if it's not working. I just regret not ordering everything that was in stock now. Almost got 7 of them at some point but chickened out  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121748 on: June 04, 2022, 01:49:39 pm »
If it's sealed I can't see why it wouldn't work. There's not a lot to go wrong with them in the box.

Epic win if that is the case!

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121749 on: June 04, 2022, 02:19:22 pm »
It's working fine. I need to unlock all options now  ;D

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf