Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16511942 times)

Robert763 and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #121525 on: June 02, 2022, 04:28:53 pm »
If you're looking for that specific image, string DA8703 shirt returns a lot of hits, at least over on this side of the pond.

Thanks. This one for example?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154604074331
Apart from the fact that the product is located in China and has the following caveat:-

Estimated between Wed, Jan 29 and Thu, Feb 20
This item has an extended handling time and a delivery estimate greater than 2705 business days.
Please allow additional time if international delivery is subject to customs processing.

So after allowing for weekends etc, that equates to something like 10.5 years before it is estimated that you will receive it...

So all is good then  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Look again. May also be in Moscow... :wtf:

So... delivery some unspecified time after UPS resumes service to Russia, then...  :o

EDIT: Oh, this just gets better and better...  :-DD

mnem
Or are they saying Moscow, China...? Is there a city/town/dorp named Moscow in China...? :-//
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 04:32:45 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #121526 on: June 02, 2022, 04:34:39 pm »
... I still don't look like a HAM. EVER.

You would if you were butchered properly.  >:D

That's true I've seen pictures!  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121527 on: June 02, 2022, 04:35:43 pm »
475A PSU re-cap. The hard part is done. Getting the old cans out. At least 2.5 hours of careful work. UPS finally delivered the replacement caps. Will pick up tomorrow building up the adapters and the install.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121528 on: June 02, 2022, 04:40:42 pm »
And no panties and a redhead :P :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD

There are redheads that wear panties? News to me...

Only when they attend church....which is never.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121529 on: June 02, 2022, 04:41:14 pm »
... I still don't look like a HAM. EVER.

You would if you were butchered properly.  >:D

Fair enuf. Hmmmmm... stringy old butt-portion with lots of fat. I'm sure there's a lot of market for that long pork. ;)

Butt... anybody tries, I'll make double damn sure I fall over on 'em and squish their head like a grape.  >:D

mnem
Better pack a lunch. Gonna be at it for a while. :-DD
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 04:42:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121530 on: June 02, 2022, 04:59:40 pm »

Disquieting :) Vicious rotor winds in the mountains?

An aircraft I'd been in had the main wing strut bend in flight. The passengers quickly exited, and the pilot managed to land safely.

I hope not in this order, though!

Yes, in that order. They weren't foolish enough to hang around.

Passengers or parachutists ? Somone who takes off in an aircraft not intending to be in it when i lands is not a passenger.
People on an aircraft are either passengers or aircrew. Aircrew operate the aircraft in flight. The parachutists took no part in operating the aircraft, apart from (possibly) opening the door.

Not  quite right even for public transport, there are also cabin crew. For aerial work (parachuting is aerial work) there are also mission personnel and parachutists.
Also when I fly for flight testing I am neither flight crew or passenger.

Which means, I suspect, that the pilot(s) probably call you luggage, baggage, or freight, depending on how many straps it takes to secure you.  ;D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121531 on: June 02, 2022, 05:16:58 pm »

An aircraft I'd been in had the main wing strut bend in flight. The passengers quickly exited, and the pilot managed to land safely.

Passengers or parachutists ? Somone who takes off in an aircraft not intending to be in it when i lands is not a passenger.
People on an aircraft are either passengers or aircrew. Aircrew operate the aircraft in flight. The parachutists took no part in operating the aircraft, apart from (possibly) opening the door.

Not  quite right even for public transport, there are also cabin crew. For aerial work (parachuting is aerial work) there are also mission personnel and parachutists.

Which means, I suspect, that the pilot(s) probably call you luggage, baggage, or freight, depending on how many straps it takes to secure you.  ;D

They call me Trouble probably... Last time they made me take a pilot medical and go on a cabin crew safety course  :wtf:

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #121532 on: June 02, 2022, 05:23:17 pm »

I took the "definition" from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircrew

No doubt there are other equally valid/invalid definitions depending on which shade of gray you regard as black/white :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #121533 on: June 02, 2022, 05:26:09 pm »

"Self-loading freight", perhaps.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121534 on: June 02, 2022, 05:37:00 pm »

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121535 on: June 02, 2022, 05:43:49 pm »
I bet that makes some interesting noises when it fails

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #121536 on: June 02, 2022, 05:46:17 pm »
What ever the f*ck that is, it looks like it shoots something (probably a line), it has an irrigation valve, a spinning reel, a switch ... at least he's pointing it in a safe direction (at least when the pic was taken).  :palm:

The girl looks amused anyway.  :-DD

Unfortunately I know what that is. It's basically a potato cannon which is used to sling a tennis ball over a tree to pull an antenna up. aka "trash launcher".

She's only smiling because of the sertraline.

Edit: Actually that reminds me. I need to shred my RSGB certs and ham licenses  :-DD

I immediately thought "spud gun for antenna shootin'", yup. Nice idea, especially if you fail at throwing. Arborists around here have a special throwline, thin, with a fairly soft weight at the end. That's something I'd consider for portable work. I've got a set of Clansman antenna wires, and a couple dipole centres for them; really well built kit.  But they need something to hang from.

I'm a rather passive ham, but other more active ones in my vicinity have been seen speaking at metrology conferences and similar. Make no mistake, we get the racist soap-phobic bum type too, but perhaps not as frequently.  There is more than one kind.

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121537 on: June 02, 2022, 05:48:47 pm »

I took the "definition" from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircrew

No doubt there are other equally valid/invalid definitions depending on which shade of gray you regard as black/white :)

Well the EASA definition is "Flight crew’ means a licensed flight crew member charged with duties essential to the
operation of an aircraft during a flight duty period."
https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Annexes%20to%20the%20draft%20Commission%20Regulation%20.pdf

Cabin crew is "“Cabin crew member” means an appropriately qualified crew member, other than a flight crew or technical crew member, who is assigned by an operator to perform duties related to the safety of passengers and flight during operations;"
https://www.easa.europa.eu/faq/19130

Note Flight crew have to be licenced. I am qualified as Flight Crew but for a position that is little used. That said I have flown as a flight crew member on scheduled public transport flight due to a technical failure meaning a additional flight crew member being required and no pilot being available.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 05:56:40 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121538 on: June 02, 2022, 05:52:54 pm »
Dang, the Queen is appearing on all the TV news channels today. Can't watch all the other problems in the world because of her party thing ... maybe I should be grateful!  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, syau

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121539 on: June 02, 2022, 05:56:25 pm »
Dang, the Queen is appearing on all the TV news channels today. Can't watch all the other problems in the world because of her party thing ... maybe I should be grateful!  :clap:

Oh yes forgot why I had a day off today. That’s about as far as I give a shit about the Queen. Not that I had a day off. Been sitting here on standby in case something goes terribly wrong for someone. No carnage yet

This is when they bury all the other shit quietly. Beware.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, syau

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #121540 on: June 02, 2022, 06:09:08 pm »
What ever the f*ck that is, it looks like it shoots something (probably a line), it has an irrigation valve, a spinning reel, a switch ... at least he's pointing it in a safe direction (at least when the pic was taken).  :palm:

Unfortunately I know what that is. It's basically a potato cannon which is used to sling a tennis ball over a tree to pull an antenna up. aka "trash launcher".

Edit: Actually that reminds me. I need to shred my RSGB certs and ham licenses  :-DD

I immediately thought "spud gun for antenna shootin'", yup. Nice idea, especially if you fail at throwing. Arborists around here have a special throwline, thin, with a fairly soft weight at the end. That's something I'd consider for portable work. I've got a set of Clansman antenna wires, and a couple dipole centres for them; really well built kit.  But they need something to hang from.

I'm a rather passive ham, but other more active ones in my vicinity have been seen speaking at metrology conferences and similar. Make no mistake, we get the racist soap-phobic bum type too, but perhaps not as frequently.  There is more than one kind.

Yep.  There's also the type like me, who got the ticket three or four years ago and have the radio, but have yet to utter a word on the air or put an antenna up.  One of these years...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121541 on: June 02, 2022, 06:32:20 pm »

Yep.  There's also the type like me, who got the ticket three or four years ago and have the radio, but have yet to utter a word on the air or put an antenna up.  One of these years...

-Pat

Wise move.

I've been asked a couple of times recently if I'd recommend it as a hobby and quite frankly I've had to say no. While there are a couple of notable exceptions, I actively dislike the community as a whole. It's got some really bad social problems and a poor but accurate reputation. From various life experiences, I've learned the best thing to do when you come across such communities is to disassociate yourself from them.

Edit: I consider saving test gear they kept prisoner to be a socially responsible thing to do :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 06:34:47 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121542 on: June 02, 2022, 06:39:47 pm »
In most of continental Europe, an amateur radio license is the only thing that will keep you out of trouble if you're caught with a scanner. It just has to cover at least one ham band.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 06:44:36 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121543 on: June 02, 2022, 06:46:54 pm »
On the occasion of 1554 thanked posts: (see image)

Who gets the connection?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al, syau

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121545 on: June 02, 2022, 07:04:55 pm »

I'd have to agree with bd139. You're very lucky mansaxel. After getting back into the hobby in ~2013 I finally got fed up with almost all the hams here. My mobile radios I used to talk on the local frequencies are all back in the closet. I still talk to one of them (on the phone) and go eat lunch from time to time. But the rest I have little interest in. Some of the words/phrases I would use to describe them would be : Bigoted, sloppy, incurious, lazy, boring, religious zealots, and dirty (if you want to see the radio I had to bug-bomb before I repaired it let me know ...) to list a few things.

It's really sad but I have more interest in spending time with my cat than 95% of local hams. Let me say that I do realize there are many very smart and likeable hams in the world, it just seems like they are nowhere near me.  :(

So yes they have all the freedom in the world to say whatever they want to, but I have no requirement to listen.  :box:

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #121546 on: June 02, 2022, 07:05:22 pm »

-Pat

Wise move.

I've been asked a couple of times recently if I'd recommend it as a hobby and quite frankly I've had to say no. While there are a couple of notable exceptions, I actively dislike the community as a whole. It's got some really bad social problems and a poor but accurate reputation. From various life experiences, I've learned the best thing to do when you come across such communities is to disassociate yourself from them.

Edit: I consider saving test gear they kept prisoner to be a socially responsible thing to do :)

In my case it's mostly laziness.  The group who encouraged me to get the ticket are a good lot, though I have encountered those whom you'd best stay upwind of at swap meets and the like.  Not sure why sketchy hygiene is so prevalent in this population, but I can't dispute that it certainly seems to be overrepresented relative to people as a whole.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121547 on: June 02, 2022, 07:12:52 pm »

-Pat

Wise move.

In my case it's mostly laziness.  The group who encouraged me to get the ticket are a good lot, though I have encountered those whom you'd best stay upwind of at swap meets and the like.  Not sure why sketchy hygiene is so prevalent in this population, but I can't dispute that it certainly seems to be overrepresented relative to people as a whole.

-Pat

Every ham fest I have ever attended was over run with shabby, dirty hobos.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121548 on: June 02, 2022, 07:18:11 pm »
Free entertainment!  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/the-non-linear-plasma-reactor/

:popcorn:

I didn't even need to read it. The posting style says crazy. I am watching Simon avidly  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121549 on: June 02, 2022, 07:32:19 pm »

I'd have to agree with bd139. You're very lucky mansaxel. After getting back into the hobby in ~2013 I finally got fed up with almost all the hams here. My mobile radios I used to talk on the local frequencies are all back in the closet. I still talk to one of them (on the phone) and go eat lunch from time to time. But the rest I have little interest in. Some of the words/phrases I would use to describe them would be : Bigoted, sloppy, incurious, lazy, boring, religious zealots, and dirty (if you want to see the radio I had to bug-bomb before I repaired it let me know ...) to list a few things.

It's really sad but I have more interest in spending time with my cat than 95% of local hams. Let me say that I do realize there are many very smart and likeable hams in the world, it just seems like they are nowhere near me.  :(

So yes they have all the freedom in the world to say whatever they want to, but I have no requirement to listen.  :box:

Nailed it on so many points there. As for the bug bombed radio, I remember that one. That was "special" :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf