Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16512671 times)

Cesar_D, wkb and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #121500 on: June 02, 2022, 01:47:27 pm »

8)
Well, congrats. I worked with one at one time and found the 50Ohms-only inputs annoying. But if you don't bother exchanging the scope on your desk when you want to do general-purpose, 1MOhms measurements, you got now as much speed as this series can provide.

Yeah, I'll keep my TDS784D, it has TV trigger too which the TDS794D doesn't support.

One for general use, and then this hotrod for special use. :)

It needs some love though, it has a "ERROR: diagnostic test failure, dsyRastModeV0Walk, raster fail @ 1,1 read: 8, expect: f" error to track down, and channel 2 is showing spurious spikes, might be a RAM issue. Luckily I have spare parts from other boards....

Obviously you will document and share your troublehshooting here so we can learn something. Also required as source material for the writing of your future book/ bible on TDS repairs.

Waiting for the first update on that, you have 3 days, get cracking and report  :popcorn:

YES SIR! :D haha.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #121501 on: June 02, 2022, 01:54:42 pm »
   For my workbench I have one of those (nawts):   Voelkner ESD Montagematte

I'm finding them very useful, especially for storing small parts during repair / teardown.
They aren't exactly cheap, though.   I've been using an ordinary 'waffle pattern' rubber floor mat from the car parts supplier around the corner. Has served me well for over 20 years.
   I use a empty Nespresso welcome box. 36 pods empty spots, made in wood. 1a quality.   

It costed too much even if I can reuse that box in a smart way, go tell my wife...
I was wondering - isn't your citizenship revoked for buying Nespresso?

I have like a dozen of these I recently picked up at the local Big Lots store for all my project screw-me doo-me organizational needs... I've always had something similar at my bench for this for decades now.  :-//

I look for ones with the curved bottom on the pockets so I can get tiny screws out, and I prefer ones like this that I can remove a divider or three for random larger bits I want to store with the screws that hold them in. I often have 2 or 3 projects underway at any time... this allows me to put the tiny bits away with the item on a shelf or in a drawer while I wait for parts to come in.

12-18 pockets is more than enough... I don't usually do the "one screw in each pocket" thing, but rather "one pocket for each area or item removed".

If I actually need more pockets, I just grab another box...   8)

mnem
"Organized Chaos" is my life. :-DD
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 02:18:38 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Specmaster, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #121502 on: June 02, 2022, 02:09:20 pm »
I was wondering - isn't your citizenship revoked for buying Nespresso?

No, because I have all the receipts and recorded all the conversations with my wife.
I did not approved (and I will never do) the insane, unreasonable and stupid expensive Nespresso business.
Never! That's why my italian passport is still valid!

The real problem here is evil marketing surfing he poor population IQ. It is again dragging decent companies to follow the hype and go with teenager/immature choices.
Example Bialetti capsules so sad.

Millions of other examples in home appliaces, cars, Laptops (remove ETH port) and so on.

This is why we need to stay strong in our TEA fortress, as again my beloved writer stated:

“We shall soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four, in which furious party cries will be raised against anybody who says that cows have horns, in which people will persecute the heresy of calling a triangle a three-sided figure, and hang a man for maddening mob with the news that grass is green.”

― G.K. Chesterton

« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 02:13:33 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al, Zoli, Peter_O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121503 on: June 02, 2022, 02:11:38 pm »
Nope. Would not wear.

Double nope.

For the people who are not quite as versed as med6753 on dressing, ask yourself these questions before you wear something. If the answer is YES to any, do not buy it and do not wear it:

1. Would it attract the wrong kind of friendship, of either kind, in a prison cell?
2. If I bumped into someone of the opposite gender of interest, would they run away before I got a chance to scare them off with my personality?
3. Does it reveal anything that shouldn't be revealed at my age, or for matter any age?
4. If I died wearing it, would it negatively effect my dignity?
5. Does it make me look like a ham?

The last thing you want to do is die saving someone's life but all people remember you for is the hentai T-shirt.

Every line of this is wrong. If I gave half a rat's ass about any of that repressive mentality BS I'd never have met my wife, nor would I have had any of the experiences that got me "tore up from the floor up" in my youth.

When I was 20 I didn't expect to live to see 30. And here I am now pushing 60; having to honor all those checks my body wrote when I was "young & dumb & fulla cum". Even now; old, fat and falling apart at the seams with every lurching painful step, I still don't look like a HAM. EVER.

Pain is an old friend... and every "ouch" is a trophy, not a regret.

mnem
Dignity in death is for those afraid to live.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121504 on: June 02, 2022, 02:11:41 pm »
Found this T-Shirt on AliExpress (nawts). Goes up to 5XL.
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003009110719.html

I suppose if it's all SMD it would be ok, but thru-hole parts would make it very uncomfortable to wear :D

I won't be ordering one anyway due to my T-shirt requirements: Is it black? Yes - Wear it. No - Don't wear it.

McBryce. 
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #121505 on: June 02, 2022, 02:21:29 pm »
Nope. Would not wear.

Double nope.

For the people who are not quite as versed as med6753 on dressing, ask yourself these questions before you wear something. If the answer is YES to any, do not buy it and do not wear it:

1. Would it attract the wrong kind of friendship, of either kind, in a prison cell?
2. If I bumped into someone of the opposite gender of interest, would they run away before I got a chance to scare them off with my personality?
3. Does it reveal anything that shouldn't be revealed at my age, or for matter any age?

The last thing you want to do is die saving someone's life but all people remember you for is the hentai T-shirt.

How about the other way around?

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #121506 on: June 02, 2022, 02:23:51 pm »

I suppose if it's all SMD it would be ok, but thru-hole parts would make it very uncomfortable to wear :D

I won't be ordering one anyway due to my T-shirt requirements: Is it black? Yes - Wear it. No - Don't wear it.

McBryce.

I would wear this t-shirt for only one reason: to irritate people.  :-DD  >:D

And I would wear it with proud.  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121507 on: June 02, 2022, 02:28:04 pm »
Even now; old, fat and falling apart at the seams with every lurching painful step, I still don't look like a HAM. EVER.

That sounds very ham-like  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neper

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #121508 on: June 02, 2022, 02:29:55 pm »
If you're looking for that specific image, string DA8703 shirt returns a lot of hits, at least over on this side of the pond.

Thanks. This one for example?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154604074331

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121509 on: June 02, 2022, 02:31:02 pm »

Applies both way round!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121510 on: June 02, 2022, 02:32:58 pm »
Nope. Would not wear.

Double nope.

Only if she's wearing.

And no panties and a redhead :P :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121511 on: June 02, 2022, 02:33:21 pm »

8)
Well, congrats. I worked with one at one time and found the 50Ohms-only inputs annoying. But if you don't bother exchanging the scope on your desk when you want to do general-purpose, 1MOhms measurements, you got now as much speed as this series can provide.

Oh dear, I never realized it was 50R only ! :scared: 
Not dreaming of it any more... back to my original TDS784D plan then, much more attainable than a 794D !  :D

I thought the 794D was just a 784D pushed to the limits of its B/W and sampling rate. Didn't look at it in more detail...

I guess any scope above 1GHz is 50R only. 1M for slow scopes up to 100MHz usually, and scope's "in between", from 200MHz up to 1GHz, are 1M with the possibility to switch to 50R.

Like... my 100MHz Philips/Fluke Combiscope is 1M only, but my second Combiscope, same machine but 200MHz version, is 1M + 50R.
My TDS 544A is 500MHz and is 1M + 50R too.
.. but my TDS 694C is 3GHz and 50R only.

OK so back to my initial 784D plan then...
Mainly right, but on the newer models they have implemented it differently: the 4GHz TDS7404 in my company lab has selectable inputs!

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121512 on: June 02, 2022, 02:33:42 pm »

That's a sensible approach. Recently I branched out into dark blue and grey  :popcorn:

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #121513 on: June 02, 2022, 02:39:05 pm »

Disquieting :) Vicious rotor winds in the mountains?

An aircraft I'd been in had the main wing strut bend in flight. The passengers quickly exited, and the pilot managed to land safely.
I hope not in this order, though!

Yes, in that order. They weren't foolish enough to hang around.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121514 on: June 02, 2022, 02:46:46 pm »
Only if she's wearing.

Hopefully still has all her teeth as well, and is not from Alabama......

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121515 on: June 02, 2022, 03:32:56 pm »
If you're looking for that specific image, string DA8703 shirt returns a lot of hits, at least over on this side of the pond.

Thanks. This one for example?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154604074331
Apart from the fact that the product is located in China and has the following caveat:-

Estimated between Wed, Jan 29 and Thu, Feb 20
This item has an extended handling time and a delivery estimate greater than 2705 business days.
Please allow additional time if international delivery is subject to customs processing.

So after allowing for weekends etc, that equates to something like 10.5 years before it is estimated that you will receive it...

So all is good then  :-DD :-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 03:37:32 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121516 on: June 02, 2022, 03:39:33 pm »

An aircraft I'd been in had the main wing strut bend in flight. The passengers quickly exited, and the pilot managed to land safely.

Passengers or parachutists ? Somone who takes off in an aircraft not intending to be in it when it lands is not a passenger.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 03:50:34 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #121517 on: June 02, 2022, 03:47:16 pm »

Passengers or parachutists ? Somone who takes off in an aircraft not intending to be in it when i lands is not a passenger.
People on an aircraft are either passengers or aircrew. Aircrew operate the aircraft in flight. The parachutists took no part in operating the aircraft, apart from (possibly) opening the door.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121518 on: June 02, 2022, 03:55:42 pm »

Passengers or parachutists ? Somone who takes off in an aircraft not intending to be in it when i lands is not a passenger.
People on an aircraft are either passengers or aircrew. Aircrew operate the aircraft in flight. The parachutists took no part in operating the aircraft, apart from (possibly) opening the door.

Not  quite right even for public transport, there are also cabin crew. For aerial work (parachuting is aerial work) there are also mission personnel and parachutists.
Also when I fly for flight testing I am neither flight crew or passenger.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 03:57:49 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #121519 on: June 02, 2022, 04:20:33 pm »

8)

Yeah, I'll keep my TDS784D, it has TV trigger too which the TDS794D doesn't support.

One for general use, and then this hotrod for special use. :)

It needs some love though, it has a "ERROR: diagnostic test failure, dsyRastModeV0Walk, raster fail @ 1,1 read: 8, expect: f" error to track down, and channel 2 is showing spurious spikes, might be a RAM issue. Luckily I have spare parts from other boards....

Alrighty, I swapped the processor board in from a spare 754D that is identical to the 794D (The 754D has a busted acquisition board, I need to get my hands on an unobtanium chip, or a new acq. board) and loaded the 794D v8.0e firmware that I pulled from the original 784D processor board.

Booted right up with no "dsyRastModeV0Walk, raster fail" error, so that means it's probably a video RAM or other video problem as I thought which is good, narrows it down away from the 794D specific (I.e. I have no spares) acquisition board.
I think I'll keep the busted board with the busted scope and fix it there. I have enough spare parts to get it done when I get to it.

I might try the v8.0e firmware on some of my other D-series scopes. I wonder if it's 794D specific or will be an upgrade to the V7.x I'm using now on the 784D and 754D's... If it is incompatible it doesn't brick the scope, you just need to erase the NVRAM then flash it back to the previous firmware and you are back up and running.

Next step, figure out what's up with the channel 2 malarkey. It looks almost a bit like a RAM interleaving issue (image below), hopefully. I have spare RAM chips, so I can swap them out one by one until it works, all going well.......
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121520 on: June 02, 2022, 04:21:22 pm »
Even now; old, fat and falling apart at the seams with every lurching painful step, I still don't look like a HAM. EVER.
That sounds very ham-like  :-DD
Whaddaya mean...? Never once did I bitch aboot the damned tree-huggers and lib-tards, nor how horrible it is I have to share a bus with those horrible [insert least-favorite citizen of a distant land], nor did I once ever complain about my gout or bunions.  :-DD

And you'll never have to stand upwind to keep from being gassed out by the chaw-dribblins crusted in my beard, either. :palm:

mnem
Now dwagon toots... well... It's your fault for feeding me Chalupas!   >:D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121521 on: June 02, 2022, 04:21:34 pm »

Double nope.
How about one with nice glowing tubes on it?

Admit it, you're just looking for an excuse to wire your nipples up to an H.V. supply aren't you, you little pervert?  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121522 on: June 02, 2022, 04:24:36 pm »
... I still don't look like a HAM. EVER.

You would if you were butchered properly.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121523 on: June 02, 2022, 04:26:29 pm »

Trust me on this one: there's definitely a market for that.  :D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121524 on: June 02, 2022, 04:28:22 pm »

There are redheads that wear panties? News to me...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf