Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16511949 times)

Robert763 and 57 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #121475 on: June 02, 2022, 12:09:31 pm »
More random stuff but certainly electronics related..... you gotta love this shirt !

Try to board a plane in Italy with that shirt on and see if they require you to lay down on the Xray belt.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121476 on: June 02, 2022, 12:09:44 pm »
More random stuff but certainly electronics related..... you gotta love this shirt !

Everyone I've known who wears shirts that loud has been eminently arrestable for something nefarious.

Edit: while digging through and shredding paperwork so I don't have to move with it, I discovered something I drew up in the 1990s that I never got around to building. I designed, on paper because I was broke, instead of actually doing lectures, an analogue polysynth. Wondering if I should invest in actually simulating and building it  :popcorn:. Controller doesn't need a Z80 board now - AVR will do the job so much cheaper and I can do away with the analogue oscillators as digital ones don't require futzing.

Nope. Would not wear.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121477 on: June 02, 2022, 12:10:36 pm »
Found this T-Shirt on AliExpress (nawts). Goes up to 5XL.
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003009110719.html

Double nope.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #121478 on: June 02, 2022, 12:14:18 pm »
For my workbench I have one of those (nawts):

Voelkner ESD Montagematte

I'm finding them very useful, especially for storing small parts during repair / teardown.

They aren't exactly cheap, though.

I've been using an ordinary 'waffle pattern' rubber floor mat from the car parts supplier around the corner. Has served me well for over 20 years.

I use a empty Nespresso welcome box. 36 pods empty spots, made in wood. 1a quality.

It costed too much even if I can reuse that box in a smart way, go tell my wife...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 12:18:18 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #121479 on: June 02, 2022, 12:29:31 pm »

Where on earth can I get such a shirt?  :-DD

If you're looking for that specific image, string DA8703 shirt returns a lot of hits, at least over on this side of the pond.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 12:42:58 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #121480 on: June 02, 2022, 12:31:04 pm »

From another ad there is this Kronhagel (Braunschweig) branded mat:

I'm finding them very useful, especially for storing small parts during repair / teardown.

For screws, nuts and non ESD sensitive parts, I use plastic ice cube trays.  Got them for next to nothing at a yard sale.  Perfect for organizing screws when taking company equipment apart for repair.  I don't deep dive in often enough to remember where every screw goes so I organize them in the order they come out so I can reverse and put back.  No leftover screws!
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121481 on: June 02, 2022, 12:34:08 pm »

8)
Well, congrats. I worked with one at one time and found the 50Ohms-only inputs annoying. But if you don't bother exchanging the scope on your desk when you want to do general-purpose, 1MOhms measurements, you got now as much speed as this series can provide.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121482 on: June 02, 2022, 12:36:46 pm »

I've been using an ordinary 'waffle pattern' rubber floor mat from the car parts supplier around the corner. Has served me well for over 20 years.

I use a empty Nespresso welcome box. 36 pods empty spots, made in wood. 1a quality.

It costed too much even if I can reuse that box in a smart way, go tell my wife...
I was wondering - isn't your citizenship revoked for buying Nespresso?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Zucca, mnementh, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121483 on: June 02, 2022, 12:40:26 pm »

Everyone I've known who wears shirts that loud has been eminently arrestable for something nefarious.
Nope. Would not wear.

Wuss.  >:D

mnem

"guilty as charged..."   
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121484 on: June 02, 2022, 12:40:37 pm »

Disquieting :) Vicious rotor winds in the mountains?

An aircraft I'd been in had the main wing strut bend in flight. The passengers quickly exited, and the pilot managed to land safely.
I hope not in this order, though!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 01:04:38 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121485 on: June 02, 2022, 12:40:56 pm »

Ah, a classic example of knowing your audience when writing. If only some of the freelancers I used to commission pieces from had managed to grasp the idea so adroitly.  :-DD
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121486 on: June 02, 2022, 12:44:43 pm »
Hey... if you're already as big as a billboard, may as well use the real estate constructively.  >:D

mnem
This space [     ] for rent.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121487 on: June 02, 2022, 12:48:01 pm »
Nope. Would not wear.

Double nope.

For the people who are not quite as versed as med6753 on dressing, ask yourself these questions before you wear something. If the answer is YES to any, do not buy it and do not wear it:

1. Would it attract the wrong kind of friendship, of either kind, in a prison cell?
2. If I bumped into someone of the opposite gender of interest, would they run away before I got a chance to scare them off with my personality?
3. Does it reveal anything that shouldn't be revealed at my age, or for matter any age?
4. If I died wearing it, would it negatively effect my dignity?
5. Does it make me look like a ham?

The last thing you want to do is die saving someone's life but all people remember you for is the hentai T-shirt.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 12:49:51 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121488 on: June 02, 2022, 12:49:52 pm »

Try to board a plane in Italy with that shirt on and see if they require you to lay down on the Xray belt.

Do it at Venice Marco Polo or Milan Malpensa, two places where "la bella figura" is a way of life, and you're more likely to be arrested for crimes again fashion!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, bd139

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #121489 on: June 02, 2022, 12:50:44 pm »

8)
Well, congrats. I worked with one at one time and found the 50Ohms-only inputs annoying. But if you don't bother exchanging the scope on your desk when you want to do general-purpose, 1MOhms measurements, you got now as much speed as this series can provide.

Yeah, I'll keep my TDS784D, it has TV trigger too which the TDS794D doesn't support.

One for general use, and then this hotrod for special use. :)

It needs some love though, it has a "ERROR: diagnostic test failure, dsyRastModeV0Walk, raster fail @ 1,1 read: 8, expect: f" error to track down, and channel 2 is showing spurious spikes, might be a RAM issue. Luckily I have spare parts from other boards....
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #121490 on: June 02, 2022, 12:51:41 pm »

For the people who are not quite as versed as med6753 on dressing, ask yourself these questions before you wear something. If the answer is YES to any, do not buy it and do not wear it:

1. Would it attract the wrong kind of friendship, of either kind, in a prison cell?
2. If I bumped into someone of the opposite gender of interest, would they run away before I got a chance to scare them off with my personality?
3. Does it reveal anything that shouldn't be revealed at my age, or for matter any age?

The last thing you want to do is die saving someone's life but all people remember you for is the hentai T-shirt.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121491 on: June 02, 2022, 12:55:07 pm »

For keeping small screws organized while dismantling a Minolta photo camera, once I had to poke holes in an upside down extruded polystyrene food box, and fit each screw one by one after taking a photo from where it came from, so I won't forget/mix them while assembling back.

Those in the pic are only a small fraction of the total number of screws, never opened something more complex in terms of mechanically assembling.  (they were about 10-20 different types of screws at least, never more than 2-3 of the same type :scared: )
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 01:00:40 pm by RoGeorge »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121492 on: June 02, 2022, 01:02:39 pm »

For keeping small screws organized while dismantling a Minolta photo camera, once I had to poke holes in an upside down extruded polystyrene food box, and fit each screw one by one after taking a photo from where it came from, so I won't forget/mix them while assembling back.

Those in the pic are only a small fraction of the total number of screws, never opened something more complex in terms of mechanically assembling.  (they were about 10-20 different types of screws at least, never more than 2-3 of the same type :scared: )
I hope there is a special section in hell for designers like that one - containing an infinite number of non-matching threads and actuation tools.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121493 on: June 02, 2022, 01:05:03 pm »

The most ham thing about that is actually the disappointment in his face at everything he is doing.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #121494 on: June 02, 2022, 01:12:49 pm »
What ever the f*ck that is, it looks like it shoots something (probably a line), it has an irrigation valve, a spinning reel, a switch ... at least he's pointing it in a safe direction (at least when the pic was taken).  :palm:

The girl looks amused anyway.  :-DD

The most ham thing about that is actually the disappointment in his face at everything he is doing.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121495 on: June 02, 2022, 01:17:01 pm »

8)

Oh dear, I never realized it was 50R only ! :scared: 
Not dreaming of it any more... back to my original TDS784D plan then, much more attainable than a 794D !  :D

I thought the 794D was just a 784D pushed to the limits of its B/W and sampling rate. Didn't look at it in more detail...

I guess any scope above 1GHz is 50R only. 1M for slow scopes up to 100MHz usually, and scope's "in between", from 200MHz up to 1GHz, are 1M with the possibility to switch to 50R.

Like... my 100MHz Philips/Fluke Combiscope is 1M only, but my second Combiscope, same machine but 200MHz version, is 1M + 50R.
My TDS 544A is 500MHz and is 1M + 50R too.
.. but my TDS 694C is 3GHz and 50R only.

OK so back to my initial 784D plan then...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 02:00:20 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121496 on: June 02, 2022, 01:21:22 pm »
Nope. Would not wear.

Double nope.

Absolutely spot on.  :-+ :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121497 on: June 02, 2022, 01:22:07 pm »
What ever the f*ck that is, it looks like it shoots something (probably a line), it has an irrigation valve, a spinning reel, a switch ... at least he's pointing it in a safe direction (at least when the pic was taken).  :palm:

The girl looks amused anyway.  :-DD

Unfortunately I know what that is. It's basically a potato cannon which is used to sling a tennis ball over a tree to pull an antenna up. aka "trash launcher".

She's only smiling because of the sertraline.

Edit: Actually that reminds me. I need to shred my RSGB certs and ham licenses  :-DD
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 01:24:45 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121498 on: June 02, 2022, 01:24:50 pm »

8)

Yeah, I'll keep my TDS784D, it has TV trigger too which the TDS794D doesn't support.

One for general use, and then this hotrod for special use. :)

It needs some love though, it has a "ERROR: diagnostic test failure, dsyRastModeV0Walk, raster fail @ 1,1 read: 8, expect: f" error to track down, and channel 2 is showing spurious spikes, might be a RAM issue. Luckily I have spare parts from other boards....

Obviously you will document and share your troublehshooting here so we can learn something. Also required as source material for the writing of your future book/ bible on TDS repairs.

Waiting for the first update on that, you have 3 days, get cracking and report  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121499 on: June 02, 2022, 01:45:29 pm »
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003009110719.html

Double nope.
How about one with nice glowing tubes on it?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf