Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16512702 times)

Cesar_D, wkb and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #121350 on: June 01, 2022, 12:32:21 am »
1) Enheavyment.

2) Practical demonstrations thereof, including...

3) ...showing how to make med need a pee bag again.  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 12:37:34 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, syau

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121351 on: June 01, 2022, 12:36:39 am »

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #121352 on: June 01, 2022, 01:00:31 am »
Mr Carlson has the talent to stretch in 49min what could be said in 6min.
I love him, but after the third time he repeat himself my blood pressure goes high to the roof and goodbye
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 01:05:32 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al, srb1954, Peter_O, Neper

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #121353 on: June 01, 2022, 01:04:27 am »
I lost one of my tools, it's a cheap endoscope camera.
The concept I bought it with my hard work money and then I can't put my hands on it simply drive me 100% nuts.

Surely hidden in one of those boxes on the floor.

Don't know about you, but I can't do anything else until I find the lost one...

Matthew 18:10-14

>:( afasdfhlasjhflasjdfhlasjfhlasjdhflasjhfljashdlfkjahsldfkjhasldfjh  >:(

Stupid Zucca put the camera into an old headphone case because it was better than the paper carton box.
Stupid Zucca forgot completely about it and he was looking for the old paper box everywhere.

It was under my nose the entire freakkking time.

I am getting old very fast, please help me.
I want to kill myself.

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121354 on: June 01, 2022, 01:29:15 am »
Time to get out the labeler.  ;)

mnem
 :-/O

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #121355 on: June 01, 2022, 01:32:13 am »
Next TE project on bench 1. Anyone care to guess what it is and what is planned?  ;)

Recap of the Tek mark space gen you got a while ago.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #121356 on: June 01, 2022, 02:33:35 am »
Next TE project on bench 1. Anyone care to guess what it is and what is planned?  ;)

Tek 465 revival?

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: m k

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121357 on: June 01, 2022, 03:09:37 am »

mnem
Maybe it would fit him best to mount it onto a rollator right away!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #121358 on: June 01, 2022, 05:06:36 am »

mnem

... or use stackable transparent boxes + labelling ...
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121359 on: June 01, 2022, 06:54:48 am »

mnem

Arrgh,
Those old capacators were marked with the outer CAN end, but NOT because of noise pickup. It was so you could avoid having high voltage on the can (which often had fairly poor insulation) where it could be a shock / leakage (burning) hazard.
At signal and relevant noise frequencies both ends of the capacitor are a the same potential bue to the low impedance of the capacitor.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #121360 on: June 01, 2022, 07:41:41 am »
The P-3/CP-140 is based upon the Lockheed Electra commercial airliner which had limited success.

iSTR the early Electras had an unfortunate tendency to shed their wings in flight.
Not a great handicap when your competition is Viscounts!

I'd have thought the Comet 1s were a better comparison :(

I'm not aware of any real deficits in Viscounts, but that is absence of knowlege, not knowledge of absence. (And no, I can't even be bothered to goole it!)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #121361 on: June 01, 2022, 08:47:06 am »
The EMEX organisers felt very sorry for me having to spend three days in close confinement with tautech in the Siglent booth. So they gave me my own booth!!!

Of course being the upstanding gentleman I am, I let him use it....

It then begs the question : how did you manage to get the booth of the guy next to you ? Did you kill him ? Did he never show up, he canceled and the organizers let you have his space ?!
You got it for free or did you have to pay double ?!  :-//

Single booth space was a bit small... but double space looks a bit large now.... needs something in between, one and a half booth...
Exhibitor next to us was a “no show” so rather than have the booth next to us empty the organisers offered it to us free.  :-+
The tautech is very pleased and is organizing a 2nd large table and more of his gear to exhibit tomorrow.
Well the good wife sourced a 2nd large table to better fill our larger EMEX site and hendorog helped reconfigure and add a couple of additional units before the public arrived this morning.
It would be rude not to record what the display now looked like for 2nd and tomorrow's final day but unfortunately hendorog didn't offer his best side. Still, a big thanks to him for his RF prowess and VNA knowledge and generally putting up with this tautech bloke.
Exhibited TE from L-R:
hendorog's SSA3075X-R 7.5GHz RTSA
SSG3021X 2.1GHz RF gen
UKitSSA3X Utility Kit
SNA5004A 4.5GHz 4 port VNA
F603ME
SPS5042X 40V 60A PSU
SDM3065X 6.5 digit DMM
SPD3303X-E 3ch PSU
SDS2104X Plus 4ch DSO
STB-3
SDS6204A 4ch DSO
SDG6022X 2ch AWG
SDS5054X 4ch DSO
SDS1104X-E 4ch DSO
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121362 on: June 01, 2022, 08:51:45 am »
Can the front panel not be unscrewed and removed? Or is it captive behind the binding posts etc?

Unfortunately captive behind the binding posts.

It also seems to have few of those extremely friendly ribbon cable connectors.

BTW,
I think AVRO Canada was exceptional.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #121363 on: June 01, 2022, 09:43:16 am »

The SA on the left, is it running in waterfall mode?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121364 on: June 01, 2022, 09:56:41 am »
On maritime patrol, I can't talk about my work much, but here is one I did 30 years ago. Not submarine but still maritime surveillance.
This had the Ferranti Seaspray 2000 search radar. Being pre GPS it had Litton VLF/Omega and inertial navigation equipment. No video either but the Agiflight 70mm film camera had a ARINC 429 datalink to the nav system and minature LEDs that imprinted the LAT/LONG and time on the film. This was important legally. We were a small company (now long gone) and apart from the design building and indstallation I flew on the aircraft for certification and operational testing.  Roaring in at 250ft towards a boat seemed to frighten the fishermen a bit  >:D

Looks like Fokker based F-27. Correct? IBM owned at least two license built Fairchild F-27's as executive transports in the 1960's. As well as Lockheed Sabreliners. All painted several shades of blue of course.  ;D Prior to the F-27's they owned DC-3's.

A local airline (Mohawk Airlines) also flew the F-27.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #121365 on: June 01, 2022, 10:00:05 am »

Is it an AVO meter, and you are going to make it into an attractive table lamp?

:popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #121366 on: June 01, 2022, 10:15:39 am »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121367 on: June 01, 2022, 10:17:47 am »

Only if someone chops a light bulb on it.  ;D

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #121368 on: June 01, 2022, 10:19:11 am »

That's the detritus left after the case was modified to be used as a large vertical blue plant pot.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121369 on: June 01, 2022, 11:41:48 am »
On maritime patrol, I can't talk about my work much, but here is one I did 30 years ago. Not submarine but still maritime surveillance.
This had the Ferranti Seaspray 2000 search radar. Being pre GPS it had Litton VLF/Omega and inertial navigation equipment. No video either but the Agiflight 70mm film camera had a ARINC 429 datalink to the nav system and minature LEDs that imprinted the LAT/LONG and time on the film. This was important legally. We were a small company (now long gone) and apart from the design building and indstallation I flew on the aircraft for certification and operational testing.  Roaring in at 250ft towards a boat seemed to frighten the fishermen a bit  >:D

Looks like Fokker based F-27. Correct? IBM owned at least two license built Fairchild F-27's as executive transports in the 1960's. As well as Lockheed Sabreliners. All painted several shades of blue of course.  ;D Prior to the F-27's they owned DC-3's.

A local airline (Mohawk Airlines) also flew the F-27.

Yes an F27. It was ex. Air UK.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121370 on: June 01, 2022, 11:45:33 am »

Tek 465 revival?

-Pat

Pat was close. It's actually a 475A and yes Spec, PSU re-cap. Last time I powered it up after sitting for a few months the trace looked like garbage for a few seconds then cleared up. Fairly good indication that a PSU capacitor needed to re-form which to me means it's dying. This is the very reason I rotate my junk on a regular basis to catch this stuff early. Hence the surgery.

In order to access to the PSU caps the Trigger board has to come out. Not too bad. Only 2 solder joints. The rest is all modular.

I already have the capacitor adapters. The replacement caps were supposed to show up today but UPS dropped the ball. They will be here tomorrow. This re-cap is just the PSU and a select few tants. To re-cap all the tants in a 400 series scope would break the bank. There's too many of them.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121371 on: June 01, 2022, 12:13:20 pm »

mnem

Arrgh,
Those old capacitors were marked with the outer CAN end, but NOT because of noise pickup. It was so you could avoid having high voltage on the can (which often had fairly poor insulation) where it could be a shock / leakage (burning) hazard. At signal and relevant noise frequencies both ends of the capacitor are a the same potential due to the low impedance of the capacitor.

So you're suggesting that the only useful information there is Carlson demonstrating that he is in fact a noise antenna...?   

mnem
"More fun & games for the feeble-minded..." ~Old man Basche

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121372 on: June 01, 2022, 12:26:45 pm »
I lost one of my tools, it's a cheap endoscope camera...
   Stupid Zucca put the camera into an old headphone case because it was better than the paper carton box. Stupid Zucca forgot completely about it and he was looking for the old paper box everywhere.

It was under my nose the entire freakkking time.

I am getting old very fast, please help me. I want to kill myself.   

Maybe it would fit him best to mount it onto a rollator right away!
... or use stackable transparent boxes + labeling ...
Then we're right back to the original problem... Z looking in the wrong place for something that no longer exists.  :-DD

Considering the number of times I suffer similar state of confusion myself on a pretty much daily basis, I know from painful experience the road poor Z is headed down.  :o  I think he might be better served to hire a Zucca-sitter now, while he can still remember to do so.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 12:49:53 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121373 on: June 01, 2022, 12:33:33 pm »

mnem

Arrgh,
Those old capacitors were marked with the outer CAN end, but NOT because of noise pickup. It was so you could avoid having high voltage on the can (which often had fairly poor insulation) where it could be a shock / leakage (burning) hazard. At signal and relevant noise frequencies both ends of the capacitor are a the same potential due to the low impedance of the capacitor.

So you're suggesting that the only useful information there is Carlson demonstrating that he is in fact a noise antenna...?   

mnem
"More fun & games for the feeble-minded..." ~Old man Basche

Yup nailed it on every point. Literally the only reason to give a shit is the high DC standing voltage being on the outside of the can. Less bzzt makes everyone happy.

There is some opinion on whether or not RF capacitors should have the case grounded but usually the problem is better solved by adding some shielding around the circuit rather than worrying about capacitor orientation.

He's a twatenna.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121374 on: June 01, 2022, 12:41:22 pm »
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 12:43:41 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf