Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16512630 times)

shakalnokturn, Cesar_D, wkb, 6h8c and 41 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #121325 on: May 31, 2022, 07:31:23 pm »
Yes it’s the whole “chemicals” thing again. I had a fun discussion about that with the ex mother in law once. She won’t eat margarine because “it’s all chemicals” apparently. Same with a person recently on a random eating out thing. This devolves always into there being good chemicals and “bad chemicals”. Of course no one can name a bad chemical or for that matter a good chemical.

I rather like our post industrial society! We live long and don’t have to walk up to the end of the garden for a shit.

I don't eat margarine because it's 'orrible, butter's much nicer. That aside, older formulations of margarine used to contain very high levels of trans fats, modern ones often contain palm oil which directly or indirectly is a cause of rainforest deforestation for palm planation.

As far as 'bad' chemicals goes, most metallorganics come close to fitting the definition.

In the GWN, all the modern ones use Canola.  Then again, we have lots of that since rapeseed is grown here.  Yes, it is incorrect to say "rapeseed" in public in these parts.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #121326 on: May 31, 2022, 07:34:00 pm »
Hi Guys,
it has been a while. Hope everyone is good!  :-+

during my time away i have been collecting.
i am now looking for a list of specs and ages of the following FLUKE meters.
Fluke 23,25,27,73,77, 8025B
Maybe Med or BD will maybe have a list of this old Fluke meters as i think they have them.

Hope you can help me.

Tony

Fluke 27/AN is what a bunch of us have.  Every second one came with two service manuals.  :palm: Luckily, TEA membership helped get the service manuals properly distributed.  :-+
Are you looking for the complete manual, or just certain specs?

I still have my second manual. It's very nice but not as good as a second breakfast.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121327 on: May 31, 2022, 07:37:02 pm »
Oh they are terrible. Hence why the project I was working on ended up in the national press for going extremely over budget, then spiralled down the toilet, got renamed twice and then got scrapped before the end of its service life  :palm:. Everyone got paid though!

If it was renamed twice, it couldn't have been the Nimrod ASW aircraft.

I alway regarded it as remarkable that the first variant was designed to use an obsolete commercial 1950s airframe, albeit heavily modified.

They then repeated that, with a 2003 variant built on the same airframes!

Not far off it. Bombardier Global Express was the airframe though.

There were numerous comedy cock ups on that project. I will write a book one day.

Hmmm... it seems the bar wasn't set terribly high to begin with; it was the then ~40-year-old Avro Shackleton that they were supposed to be replacing, right?

mnem
    :'(

The South Africans replaced C47s (Dakota) with Shackletons. When the Shacks ran out of airframe life the put they C47 back into use.
A google search for Bombardier Global ISR turned this up
https://www.timesaerospace.aero/features/defence/a-game-of-high-spy-with-project-dolphin

And yet, in the place where they manufacture assemble the Bombardier Global, they are still using the Aurora (CP-140), which was pre-Nimrod (there, we made it full circle).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_CP-140_Aurora
By the way, the Auroras were purchased from another fleet when they had already reached their design life.  They have already surpassed the life extension limit by a few years and still flying...  :o

Extensions go until the idea is no longer viable from what I have seen.

The whole manned ISTAR concept is dying now which is why they are disappearing. The endurance was pretty low, they had limited countermeasures, a high crew compliment (and body count), poor manoeuvrability, large radar surface area, high cost. The only advantage was they had a high ceiling which meant the sensors could reach into territory without the aircraft entering the airspace.

Reaper and subsequent Protector aircraft seem to kill off a lot of those problems. Plus they can drop Paveways and Brimstones :)

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121328 on: May 31, 2022, 07:50:19 pm »
What would one use these for?

Note to ch_scr: you're not allowed to post the answer to this question here
But I can say: "I like what I see"   ^-^

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #121329 on: May 31, 2022, 07:59:35 pm »

The whole manned ISTAR concept is dying now which is why they are disappearing. The endurance was pretty low, they had limited countermeasures, a high crew compliment (and body count), poor manoeuvrability, large radar surface area, high cost. The only advantage was they had a high ceiling which meant the sensors could reach into territory without the aircraft entering the airspace.

Reaper and subsequent Protector aircraft seem to kill off a lot of those problems. Plus they can drop Paveways and Brimstones :)

The ASW rôle does not seem to be filled by drones, yet. Probably is still a bit too complicated to do on distance?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121330 on: May 31, 2022, 08:07:00 pm »

And yet, in the place where they manufacture assemble the Bombardier Global, they are still using the Aurora (CP-140), which was pre-Nimrod (there, we made it full circle).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_CP-140_Aurora
By the way, the Auroras were purchased from another fleet when they had already reached their design life.  They have already surpassed the life extension limit by a few years and still flying...  :o

Still using the P-3C Orion here which is essentially the same as the CP-140 except internal electronic gear is different. Will all eventually be replaced by the P-8.

The P-3/CP-140 is based upon the Lockheed Electra commercial airliner which had limited success.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121331 on: May 31, 2022, 08:10:00 pm »

The ASW rôle does not seem to be filled by drones, yet. Probably is still a bit too complicated to do on distance?

Indeed.

Although they were doing research on space-based laser doppler velocimetry and LIDAR 20 years ago. I wonder if they cracked it or not...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121332 on: May 31, 2022, 08:11:05 pm »

For comparing meters, surely the red and black leads should be plugged in the middle of the chain?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121333 on: May 31, 2022, 08:20:33 pm »
Today, I took the DMMcheck to the company lab and having prepared a form, I announced that all users of multimeters which are not subject to mandatory calibration are required to show up now in my lab. One by one they showed up with their crutches and cucumbers.
4x Benning MM1 - how can something be SO off and still called a 'meter'? DCV and R ok, AC wayyyy off and µA useless.  :palm:
An Amprobe 5XP-A which was ok but with the usual deviation of non-RMS meters when measuring that square wave
An Exact (whatever) which was RMS and ok
The Amprobe 37XR-A of my technician, which is in worse shape than mine and did funny things instead of measuring current - but besides that was spot on. I expect him to find a cooked shunt or two.  :-BROKE
And a Beha + an Voltcraft which are lab inventory and were passable. And my Amprobe 37XR-A which did not disappoint me - actually I'm thinking that it could be nicely paired with an 38XR-A.
Although one thing is strange about them. The C and L ranges (yes, it does inductance) connect to the µA/mA jack and not the one for U, R and everything else.
The SE guy who has one shabby little thing (about your Harbour Fright quality) 'did not find it' and one guy who has at least an Amprobe and a Philips did go AWOL. Verry suspect, that. :box:

Let them know their errors and be disgusted.  :horse:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 08:34:07 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #121334 on: May 31, 2022, 08:21:07 pm »

Indeed.

Although they were doing research on space-based laser doppler velocimetry and LIDAR 20 years ago. I wonder if they cracked it or not...

On sub hunting; there are two things that are hard;

• Finding a swedish AIP sub if you've spent your training listening for nukes. The USS Ronald Reagan was "sunk" several times over in exercises.
  • Finding any sub, if properly handled, in the Baltic. The limited salinity and the thermal layers, with the generally littoral qualities to boot, are very complicated for the hunter.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #121335 on: May 31, 2022, 08:21:24 pm »
The P-3/CP-140 is based upon the Lockheed Electra commercial airliner which had limited success.

iSTR the early Electras had an unfortunate tendency to shed their wings in flight.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121336 on: May 31, 2022, 08:22:48 pm »

ASW still depends on dropping various sensors etc into the water. That and low level rough weather operation is not a good fit for typical drones. It's not even a good fit for jets which is why the turboprops are still used. This includes more modern ones like ATR42 and the "Dash 8" series. 

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121337 on: May 31, 2022, 08:27:16 pm »

One must not forget that is IS a Navy job. 'Lash that bloody landlubber drone to the mizzenmast and don't let it off until it can stand it's ration of rum!'

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121338 on: May 31, 2022, 08:39:35 pm »
On maritime patrol, I can't talk about my work much, but here is one I did 30 years ago. Not submarine but still maritime surveillance.
This had the Ferranti Seaspray 2000 search radar. Being pre GPS it had Litton VLF/Omega and inertial navigation equipment. No video either but the Agiflight 70mm film camera had a ARINC 429 datalink to the nav system and minature LEDs that imprinted the LAT/LONG and time on the film. This was important legally. We were a small company (now long gone) and apart from the design building and indstallation I flew on the aircraft for certification and operational testing.  Roaring in at 250ft towards a boat seemed to frighten the fishermen a bit  >:D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 08:44:34 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121339 on: May 31, 2022, 08:42:37 pm »

Indeed.

On sub hunting; there are two things that are hard;

• Finding a swedish AIP sub if you've spent your training listening for nukes. The USS Ronald Reagan was "sunk" several times over in exercises.
Not THAT much of a problem once youv'e learned to listen for the hårt bröd crunching.
  • Finding any sub, if properly handled, in the Baltic. The limited salinity and the thermal layers, with the generally littoral qualities to boot, are very complicated for the hunter.
Pull the plug and let out 1m of water?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #121340 on: May 31, 2022, 08:49:26 pm »

For comparing meters, surely the red and black leads should be plugged in the middle of the chain?

No, the best way is to reverse the end you plug in at, so plug your red in meter one, and black in at meter six. That way the lead resistance is the same for all the meters.

EDIT: Basically the same way you balance lead resistance in a battery string.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 08:53:52 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121341 on: May 31, 2022, 08:59:44 pm »
Oh they are terrible. Hence why the project I was working on ended up in the national press for going extremely over budget, then spiralled down the toilet, got renamed twice and then got scrapped before the end of its service life  :palm:. Everyone got paid though!

If it was renamed twice, it couldn't have been the Nimrod ASW aircraft.

I alway regarded it as remarkable that the first variant was designed to use an obsolete commercial 1950s airframe, albeit heavily modified.

They then repeated that, with a 2003 variant built on the same airframes!
Actually, while I think that a P-3 would handle nicer flying-wise, the ASW Nimrods were capable planes with a lot of endurance and a bit more speed. The systems were generally well regarded, albeit the user interfaces of a P-3C are certainly preferrable.
I had the honour?/fun? (let's keep it neutral: job) of taking some trips in one out of RAF Kinloss. Needless to say that the weather was shit. Funniest thing about Kinloss at that time was the large gathering of hippies and esoteric types living exactly under the flight path close to the runway. One could only wonder why - but they had some appealing girls among them.
Where things became REALLY crappy was when they tried to build that AEW version.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #121342 on: May 31, 2022, 09:00:06 pm »

No, the best way is to reverse the end you plug in at, so plug your red in meter one, and black in at meter six. That way the lead resistance is the same for all the meters.

Correct. Now, what about six meters in a box ...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 09:10:55 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121343 on: May 31, 2022, 09:20:48 pm »

Indeed.

That falls into the category of things that, if found to be effective, would be kept on the hush hush for as long as TPTB could manage to do so, like with SOSUS that was operational from 1952 but wasn't publicly acknowledged until 1991.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121344 on: May 31, 2022, 09:31:57 pm »
Finding a swedish AIP sub if you've spent your training listening for nukes. The USS Ronald Reagan was "sunk" several times over in exercises.

Not quite as satisfying as the RAF "nuking" the USA with Vulcan bombers during operation Sky Shield.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #121345 on: May 31, 2022, 10:18:58 pm »

Not THAT much of a problem once you've learned to listen for the hårt bröd crunching.

Subs are supplied with Limpa for this very reason.  :-DD (Limpa is a soft semi-sweet bread, made with molasses, on finely ground rye and wheat flour  -- it is best with butter and a mild cheese, like an Emmentaler or similar. Very swedish. )

Pull the plug and let out 1m of water?

Not enough. See attached pic; it's a screen dump of the sea chart covering the Landsort Deep, just south of Stockholm. The lake in which I live is also deep; the Lambar Bay is the deepest, with 66m noted.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121346 on: June 01, 2022, 12:02:29 am »

iSTR the early Electras had an unfortunate tendency to shed their wings in flight.
Not a great handicap when your competition is Viscounts!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #121347 on: June 01, 2022, 12:13:49 am »

Ummmm... testicular homicide on a whole volleyball team...?

mnem
very few could deserve it more...    >:D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 12:15:42 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121348 on: June 01, 2022, 12:28:54 am »
Next TE project on bench 1. Anyone care to guess what it is and what is planned?  ;)

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121349 on: June 01, 2022, 12:31:57 am »
Next TE project on bench 1. Anyone care to guess what it is and what is planned?  ;)

Tektronics scope and a full re-cap by any chance?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf