Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16514361 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #121300 on: May 31, 2022, 09:43:51 am »

Pffft, that's not a proper one! THIS is a proper one:

The forklift holes are a nice touch.

Everything can have forklift holes from experience  :popcorn:
The skilful driver will make them look as if they were part of the original design for you as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Neper

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #121301 on: May 31, 2022, 11:07:47 am »
Interesting that it has the flat CRT bezel and what looks like an aluminum handle, whereas the one I recently got has a protruding bezel and a rubber/vinyl handle.  Both appear to be straight 321s, not As.

-Pat
Looks like yours has provisions for a viewing hood/camera attachment. Maybe that was optional equipment? Or maybe the other version had a cover/fitted case at some time, and it was designed to be flush-face for that?  :-//

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #121302 on: May 31, 2022, 11:19:35 am »
Looking at you picture, I am not sure the crimp is doing much at all does it ? The wires are twisted over such a long distance that I guess the total contact area between them is what makes for the good connection rather than the crimp at the very end ?  I bet if you just remove/cut crimp, the shunt would still measure just as good ! >:D

I'm not cutting the crimp off. Its initial purpose was to grip the wires tightly while I twisted them together. Now the plastic insulation is a thermal barrier and convenient grip.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #121303 on: May 31, 2022, 11:23:48 am »
Skip to 6 minutes and listen to what he says about putting capacitors in parallel.  :palm:

Yes, he got called on it in the comments.

I noticed those "Bench Cookies" he had to support equipment. They are for sale on Amazon but a bit high-priced. That gives me an idea for a 3D printing project. Simple to design an equivalent model and I can get craft foam with an adhesive back at the craft store.

Hmmm let me give that a shot, wouldn't it look more professional than using pieces of wood out of my scrap wood box to support TEA?  :-DD

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #121304 on: May 31, 2022, 11:25:13 am »
I suspect that because of the sheer size of the shorting plug and the fact that copper is such a brilliant conductor of heat, that the oxidizing could be restricted to just the "blob" zone.

Pure copper wire is manufactured with tiny amounts of oxygen which helps remove other impurities, a bit like bleaching it clean if you like. There is no way such a lash-up in a garden shed could do anything other than ruin this.

BTW I cleaned the wires carefully with IPA before and after assembly.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121305 on: May 31, 2022, 11:54:33 am »
Skip to 6 minutes and listen to what he says about putting capacitors in parallel.  :palm:

I noticed those "Bench Cookies" he had to support equipment. They are for sale on Amazon but a bit high-priced. That gives me an idea for a 3D printing project. Simple to design an equivalent model and I can get craft foam with an adhesive back at the craft store.

Hmmm let me give that a shot, wouldn't it look more professional than using pieces of wood out of my scrap wood box to support TEA?  :-DD

I use ice hockey pucks. Also great as bench blocks when hammering / filing small items etc.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #121306 on: May 31, 2022, 12:10:49 pm »

I use ice hockey pucks. Also great as bench blocks when hammering / filing small items etc.

That's not a bad idea either. Amazon has a four-pack for $11. Plus, if an ice rink gets built near me ...  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121307 on: May 31, 2022, 12:11:56 pm »
Anyone in the UK want a very good thrmometer (and accurte but limited range ohmmeter)?
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175301199538

I have one already so won't be bidding NAWTS

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121308 on: May 31, 2022, 12:14:58 pm »

That's not a bad idea either. Amazon has a four-pack for $11. Plus, if an ice rink gets built near me ...  :clap:

Target and Canadian Tyre are cheap sources in North America.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121309 on: May 31, 2022, 01:55:41 pm »

List on them is $2.50 apiece in 4-pack. And they have a threaded hole for other uses/mis-uses. :-//

OTOH, you most certainly can print something similar as long as you don't have a desire to screw the cookie to something... here I printed up some Bench Cookies of my own... to hold up my bench.  ;)

And of course, no need to faff around with hobby foam... You can just get self-adhesive felt or foam rubber furniture pads from your local Dollar Store or Wallly Wurlld, etc for cheap-cheap. If all you need to make up is 10-15mm, the 38mm/1.5in ones are very commonly available anywhere... and more than cheap enough that it is economical to stack them 2 or 3 high.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 02:01:50 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121310 on: May 31, 2022, 02:12:56 pm »

Also great to use as a weighted base for... things.  >:D While you're printing... square cookies...? :o

mnem
"Keep yer stick onna ice, ehh...?"

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121311 on: May 31, 2022, 03:08:40 pm »
Sometimes you have to accept that fixing something relatively minor could leave you with a mess afterwards. Case in point. The 200mV DC / 200 ohm LED does not illuminate on the Fluke 8800A when that range is selected. I have determined that the fault is the LED itself. In order to get to the LED the Ohms and AC board has to be removed then the front panel including the binding posts. That's all super high impedance areas. Guaranteed to have all kinds of issues if you futz with it. The 8800A reads accurately right now so in my mind I'm better off leaving it alone. I did change Q57 (2N3904) on the main board just to be sure and performed a complete continuity check of that circuit and it's OK. The LED is open. The 20MEG LED does work.

I have parts coming from Mouser for another project later this week. Stay tuned.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #121312 on: May 31, 2022, 03:32:02 pm »
Can the front panel not be unscrewed and removed? Or is it captive behind the binding posts etc?
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121313 on: May 31, 2022, 03:33:26 pm »
Can the front panel not be unscrewed and removed? Or is it captive behind the binding posts etc?

Unfortunately captive behind the binding posts.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121314 on: May 31, 2022, 03:42:54 pm »
That'd annoy me and I'd have to fix it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #121315 on: May 31, 2022, 04:04:36 pm »

Unfortunately captive behind the binding posts.

From your pictures, it almost appears that the front panel PCB is connected with wires and connectors rather than directly connected to the rest of the circuit.
Surely you can unplug stuff and remove it as an assembly to gain access? It looks like the binding posts are bolted into place rather than soldered too, so once you have access maybe they can be removed relatively easily?
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121316 on: May 31, 2022, 04:30:13 pm »

https://hartford.craigslist.org/zip/d/hartford-heavy-machinery-scrap/7490498337.html

Grand-dad's ghost is whispering in my ear about that horizontal mill...   :o

My back, however is siding with the WAF (which would be ZERO right now) and my sense of self-preservation... so not even starting to think about how I'd get it home... or where I could keep it... or... :scared:

mnem
"Avaunt, shade! Back to the depths that spawned thee!"

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #121317 on: May 31, 2022, 04:40:38 pm »
What would one use these for?

Note to ch_scr: you're not allowed to post the answer to this question here
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121318 on: May 31, 2022, 05:08:16 pm »

Comparing six meters
The red and black leads should go into the back of the yelllow gold plated multicontact plugs though. That way all the meters seee the same metal junction.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 06:33:45 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #121319 on: May 31, 2022, 05:40:15 pm »

I've got a pump similar to this one in the central heating system:
https://product-selection.grundfos.com/de/products/alpha/alpha1?tab=models

I guess these are cost optimized to the max - they claim it has a control loop for differential pressure, but I think there isn't any pressure sensor at all. IMO they use the realationship of differential pressure to motor torque to motor current to determine their operating point. Don't know if one of these would be appropriate for your needs. I'd guess it's substantial less cost than a solution made of components.

That one is not suitable for building an 1,2bar head through a sand filter. Current pump is 0,75KW. I do have one of them Grundfoses -- albeit a simpler manual 3-step one -- in the coolant loop for the machine room that is heat exchanged towards the pool circuit.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #121320 on: May 31, 2022, 05:46:11 pm »

Yes, they can always be added later....

McBryce.

Classic:

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #121321 on: May 31, 2022, 05:56:34 pm »

Comparing six meters
The red and black leads should go into the back of the yelllow gold plated multicontact plugs though. That way all the meeters seee the same metal junction.

You've got a good eye for details! Thanks for the hint, I'll correct this next time.
Won't comment on the answer yet.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121322 on: May 31, 2022, 06:29:07 pm »
Continuing the Top Gun discussion from the other week, here is some inside behind the scenes info on how they shot some scenes. The scenes are not CGI unlike a lot of such action films use.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #121323 on: May 31, 2022, 07:17:41 pm »
Oh they are terrible. Hence why the project I was working on ended up in the national press for going extremely over budget, then spiralled down the toilet, got renamed twice and then got scrapped before the end of its service life  :palm:. Everyone got paid though!

If it was renamed twice, it couldn't have been the Nimrod ASW aircraft.

I alway regarded it as remarkable that the first variant was designed to use an obsolete commercial 1950s airframe, albeit heavily modified.

They then repeated that, with a 2003 variant built on the same airframes!

Not far off it. Bombardier Global Express was the airframe though.

There were numerous comedy cock ups on that project. I will write a book one day.

Hmmm... it seems the bar wasn't set terribly high to begin with; it was the then ~40-year-old Avro Shackleton that they were supposed to be replacing, right?

mnem
    :'(

The South Africans replaced C47s (Dakota) with Shackletons. When the Shacks ran out of airframe life the put they C47 back into use.
A google search for Bombardier Global ISR turned this up
https://www.timesaerospace.aero/features/defence/a-game-of-high-spy-with-project-dolphin

And yet, in the place where they manufacture assemble the Bombardier Global, they are still using the Aurora (CP-140), which was pre-Nimrod (there, we made it full circle).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_CP-140_Aurora
By the way, the Auroras were purchased from another fleet when they had already reached their design life.  They have already surpassed the life extension limit by a few years and still flying...  :o

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #121324 on: May 31, 2022, 07:29:31 pm »
Hi Guys,
it has been a while. Hope everyone is good!  :-+

during my time away i have been collecting.
i am now looking for a list of specs and ages of the following FLUKE meters.
Fluke 23,25,27,73,77, 8025B
Maybe Med or BD will maybe have a list of this old Fluke meters as i think they have them.

Hope you can help me.

Tony

Fluke 27/AN is what a bunch of us have.  Every second one came with two service manuals.  :palm: Luckily, TEA membership helped get the service manuals properly distributed.  :-+
Are you looking for the complete manual, or just certain specs?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf