Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16516083 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #121250 on: May 30, 2022, 07:32:25 pm »
On the subject of food, this just out of the oven: one tarte tatin. Ingredients: flour, butter, apples, sugar, water, that is all.

(The colour balance is a bit off but I can't be arsed to fix it.)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, exor, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121251 on: May 30, 2022, 07:49:12 pm »
Please refrain from posting picture of my sister  :popcorn:

Oh that's cruel.  ;D Ex-wives are fair game but not your sister. Have a heart.  :P :P :-DD

I owe her that one after the elephant's arse comment  :-DD
Are you sure that you aren't just a tad worried that she might just try out one of her veterinary surgical skills on you  :P
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121252 on: May 30, 2022, 08:16:22 pm »
On the subject of food, this just out of the oven: one tarte tatin. Ingredients: flour, butter, apples, sugar, water, that is all.

Looks delicious, a dollop of nice clotted ice cream on top would finish that off a treat.  ;)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #121253 on: May 30, 2022, 08:24:50 pm »

Looks delicious, a dollop of nice clotted ice cream on top would finish that off a treat.  ;)

Poor ice cream maybe, but it would be a waste of good ice cream.

Lemon and mint, or parma violet, or blueberry and spiced gin ice cream would not go harmoniously with that!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121254 on: May 30, 2022, 08:28:49 pm »
Good old tarte tatin. You might want to try it with pears instead of apple, for a change.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #121255 on: May 30, 2022, 08:36:30 pm »
   ...So I've got this neat model of an 3 phase induction motor.   

mnem
    ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 08:40:18 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #121256 on: May 30, 2022, 08:46:59 pm »
   This is far superior. It measures consistently 2.35 to 2.40 milliohms "plug" to "plug". I tweaked the "plugs" for a gentle fit into a 4mm socket, it works well...

Plus you can stick it in a drill and whisk your omelettes on Sunday morning.  :-DD

mnem

Sacrilege! You beat the egg by hand, with a fork or a whisk, never with power tools!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121257 on: May 30, 2022, 08:51:15 pm »
Sorry... my drill is variable speed.  >:D

mnem
Besides... I'm saving that wrist action for more important stuff.  :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121258 on: May 30, 2022, 08:56:49 pm »
I was unhappy with the results I was getting testing the resistance across the banana plugs on that last design, they were very inconsistent, between about 80 microohms and 4 milliohms. I seriously doubt the credibility of the 80 microohms reading, I think I'm getting noise from the TE effect between the plug and wire, and some inconsistent contact also.

So I changed tack, and decided to make a short using only copper:

This is far superior. It measures consistently 2.35 to 2.40 milliohms "plug" to "plug". I tweaked the "plugs" for a gentle fit into a 4mm socket, it works well.

EDIT: The inductance between plugs measures <20nH, which is basically in the noise as far as this LCR meter is concerned.

Sorry if this is being stupid... why not simply take an oxy-acetylene torch and melt / fuse the 4 copper wires together ? That would make for a reliable and low impedance connection wouldn't it, and no TE effect. Just.. a blob of copper.  :-//

Sure, I could try that. Do you have a spare oxy-acetylene torch I can borrow?

It wouldn't work though. Heating the copper like that would make it oxidise badly. You could try using a flux to stop that happening of course, but that would introduce more chemicals to the mix, no problem if you're welding, but likely very problematic in this use case. Not to mention what the heat cycling is likely to do to the electrical properties of the piece.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121259 on: May 30, 2022, 08:58:03 pm »

mnem

The speed is irrelevant. What is relevant is the loss of feel for the stiffness of the mix.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121260 on: May 30, 2022, 09:08:15 pm »
I was unhappy with the results I was getting testing the resistance across the banana plugs on that last design, they were very inconsistent, between about 80 microohms and 4 milliohms. I seriously doubt the credibility of the 80 microohms reading, I think I'm getting noise from the TE effect between the plug and wire, and some inconsistent contact also.

This is far superior. It measures consistently 2.35 to 2.40 milliohms "plug" to "plug". I tweaked the "plugs" for a gentle fit into a 4mm socket, it works well.

EDIT: The inductance between plugs measures <20nH, which is basically in the noise as far as this LCR meter is concerned.

Sorry if this is being stupid... why not simply take an oxy-acetylene torch and melt / fuse the 4 copper wires together ? That would make for a reliable and low impedance connection wouldn't it, and no TE effect. Just.. a blob of copper.  :-//

It wouldn't work though. Heating the copper like that would make it oxidize badly. You could try using a flux to stop that happening of course, but that would introduce more chemicals to the mix, no problem if you're welding, but likely very problematic in this use case. Not to mention what the heat cycling is likely to do to the electrical properties of the piece.

I don't have a torch because I don't have a garage, but as soon as the garage is built my old man will give all his tools, so the oxy-acetylene gear will be part of it  ;D
Oxidization hmmm... would that not be limited to the surface of the blob ? Was hoping the core of the blob would still be pure copper. OK well, too bad uh... so TIG welding with a shielding gas it is then ! >:D
OK, if you don't have a torch, you probably don't have a MIG never mind a TIG.... back to square one... I am trying my best ! :-DD

So get a MIG with a a tank of gas so that next time you are better prepared ! >:D

You live in an apartment, no garage/workshop ? OK I give up ! >:D

Looking at you picture, I am not sure the crimp is doing much at all does it ? The wires are twisted over such a long distance that I guess the total contact area between them is what makes for the good connection rather than the crimp at the very end ?  I bet if you just remove/cut crimp, the shunt would still measure just as good ! >:D

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 09:11:18 pm by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121261 on: May 30, 2022, 09:10:26 pm »
Please refrain from posting picture of my sister  :popcorn:
Oh that's cruel.  ;D Ex-wives are fair game but not your sister. Have a heart.  :P :P :-DD
I owe her that one after the elephant's arse comment  :-DD
I notice you're not disputing the statement... only exacting revenge.  :-DD

mnem
Bring it; I already know the shadow of my arse weighs 20 lbs... >:D
Are you sure that you aren't just a tad worried that she might just try out one of her veterinary surgical skills on you  :P

Not in the least bit.  >:D

mnem

"Watch out! It is coming at you!!!"

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121262 on: May 30, 2022, 09:13:38 pm »

mnem

The speed is irrelevant. What is relevant is the loss of feel for the stiffness of the mix.

My mix gets plenty stiff... with or without power tools.  >:D

mnem
Besides... it's just omelette. Not crepe or something critical like that. ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 09:15:22 pm by mnementh »

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #121263 on: May 30, 2022, 09:17:38 pm »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, DC1MC, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121264 on: May 30, 2022, 09:24:06 pm »
Ok 3465A is now fixed. It was a leaky clamp diode. Would have never found it if the diode didn't fall to bits  :-DD

2N4117A subbed in as a diode connected FET as suggested by both HPAK and EEVblog forum members. Works perfectly, clamp works too.

Did DC and ohms cal. I don't have any test cables (  ::) ) to do the AC cal yet.

Will update the other thread and HPAK group now :)

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al, syau

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121265 on: May 30, 2022, 09:25:12 pm »
Mine is much cheaper, and much better credentials, sorry  8)
... and in search of a good home currently...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121266 on: May 30, 2022, 09:36:45 pm »
mnem
    ;)

Get a proper one:      
Gonna be really hard to make it fly with that one.  :-DD

The little one is already overkill by a factor of about 20, at least from your power readings. No idea what the draw would be like once you up the frequency tho. :o

mnem

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121267 on: May 30, 2022, 09:44:12 pm »

It did! (Although it wasn't clotted cream ice cream, just plain old vanilla Hagen-Das.)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121268 on: May 30, 2022, 09:53:25 pm »
Good old tarte tatin. You might want to try it with pears instead of apple, for a change.

I have, and have to agree that they make a great tarte tatin. Peaches is good too. It was apples this time because I wanted to enjoy the last of the locally grown (Kent) apples before the season switches to almost all imported apples.

I'm actually just having another piece cold, and the remains will probably go with coffee for breakfast.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121269 on: May 30, 2022, 09:54:10 pm »

It wouldn't work though. Heating the copper like that would make it oxidize badly. You could try using a flux to stop that happening of course, but that would introduce more chemicals to the mix, no problem if you're welding, but likely very problematic in this use case. Not to mention what the heat cycling is likely to do to the electrical properties of the piece.

I don't have a torch because I don't have a garage, but as soon as the garage is built my old man will give all his tools, so the oxy-acetylene gear will be part of it  ;D
Oxidization hmmm... would that not be limited to the surface of the blob ? Was hoping the core of the blob would still be pure copper. OK well, too bad uh... so TIG welding with a shielding gas it is then ! >:D
OK, if you don't have a torch, you probably don't have a MIG never mind a TIG.... back to square one... I am trying my best ! :-DD

So get a MIG with a a tank of gas so that next time you are better prepared ! >:D

You live in an apartment, no garage/workshop ? OK I give up ! >:D

Looking at you picture, I am not sure the crimp is doing much at all does it ? The wires are twisted over such a long distance that I guess the total contact area between them is what makes for the good connection rather than the crimp at the very end ?  I bet if you just remove/cut crimp, the shunt would still measure just as good ! >:D

I suspect that because of the sheer size of the shorting plug and the fact that copper is such a brilliant conductor of heat, that the oxidizing could be restricted to just the "blob" zone. 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121270 on: May 30, 2022, 09:55:08 pm »
The EMEX organisers felt very sorry for me having to spend three days in close confinement with tautech in the Siglent booth. So they gave me my own booth!!!

Of course being the upstanding gentleman I am, I let him use it....

The following users thanked this post: Vince, tautech, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #121271 on: May 30, 2022, 10:20:04 pm »
This stand needs definitely more Siglent TE.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121272 on: May 30, 2022, 10:25:50 pm »
This stand needs definitely more Siglent TE.  :-DD

Had to leave some room for the dance floor  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121273 on: May 30, 2022, 10:42:25 pm »
Alas, I got only 1 out of three - work did make me lose the TCP202 and an evil bidder the P6248. Dang. At least 1 HV differential probe for which I do not need batteries anymore. But a P5210 for a measly 279.- is a good catch already. Once I have at least one P5205 to go wih it (2 are target), I will sell off one or two of my non-Tek Isoprobes.
And I will have another go at a TCP202, it seems. I just hope that I did not tip that s*****g off with my cautionary post.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, capt bullshot, Mortymore, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121274 on: May 30, 2022, 11:08:20 pm »
Ok 3465A is now fixed. It was a leaky clamp diode. Would have never found it if the diode didn't fall to bits  :-DD

2N4117A subbed in as a diode connected FET as suggested by both HPAK and EEVblog forum members. Works perfectly, clamp works too.

Did DC and ohms cal. I don't have any test cables (  ::) ) to do the AC cal yet.

Will update the other thread and HPAK group now :)

Good deal. It's nice to see you back in the "groove".  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf