Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16514302 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #121225 on: May 30, 2022, 03:15:15 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234570662657   Ugh.
Aside from the innate philistinism, the buggers couldn't even be bothered to give it a clean before they wrecked it forever, it's filthy.  It's not like they had the excuse that they to be carefully how it was cleaned to protect any components.

Yeeeeaahhh... scraping off the pigeonshit and bug parts would destroy its rustic charm...   

mnem
Calling them Philistines is a insult to Canaanites of all eras.   ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121226 on: May 30, 2022, 03:35:28 pm »
When a seller on Amazon is selling a Rigol DS1054z for $82. And that's in Canadian. Ummm what? Not touching that with a trillion foot barge pole!

https://www.amazon.ca/Rigol-DS1054Z-4-channel-Digital-Oscilloscope/dp/B012938E76/

It has to be a weird product mix up.

I'll let you know I just ordered one   ;D

Hmm got a fedex tracking number. Something is coming  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121227 on: May 30, 2022, 03:54:48 pm »
Please refrain from posting picture of my sister  :popcorn:

Oh that's cruel.  ;D Ex-wives are fair game but not your sister. Have a heart.  :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121228 on: May 30, 2022, 04:02:37 pm »

I was dragged up in Epsom.

I was intending to imply that you had become a country bumpkin, I didn't realise that you'd started out as one.  :)

As far as I'm concerned it is easy to walk across the worthwhile parts of London in 3 hours. I've done it.

It bloody well isn't! And most certainly not if you start from Epsom. You could spend three hours just walking along the Thames in either direction from, say, Westminster Bridge and still have interesting and worthwhile things to see while all the time staying within 50 metres of the river.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121229 on: May 30, 2022, 04:05:21 pm »

Oh that's cruel.  ;D Ex-wives are fair game but not your sister. Have a heart.  :P :P :-DD

I owe her that one after the elephant's arse comment  :-DD

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121230 on: May 30, 2022, 04:10:30 pm »
Oh they are terrible. Hence why the project I was working on ended up in the national press for going extremely over budget, then spiralled down the toilet, got renamed twice and then got scrapped before the end of its service life  :palm:. Everyone got paid though!

If it was renamed twice, it couldn't have been the Nimrod ASW aircraft.

I alway regarded it as remarkable that the first variant was designed to use an obsolete commercial 1950s airframe, albeit heavily modified.

They then repeated that, with a 2003 variant built on the same airframes!

Not far off it. Bombardier Global Express was the airframe though.

There were numerous comedy cock ups on that project. I will write a book one day.

Hmmm... it seems the bar wasn't set terribly high to begin with; it was the then ~40-year-old Avro Shackleton that they were supposed to be replacing, right?

mnem
    :'(

The South Africans replaced C47s (Dakota) with Shackletons. When the Shacks ran out of airframe life the put they C47 back into use.
A google search for Bombardier Global ISR turned this up
https://www.timesaerospace.aero/features/defence/a-game-of-high-spy-with-project-dolphin
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 04:38:35 pm by Robert763 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #121231 on: May 30, 2022, 04:15:54 pm »

Ah yes, sibling love/hate. Like the time my vegan brother posted on Facebook that he was at a Montana steakhouse and when his lame excuses and hypocrisy ran out of steam from my questioning the F bombs flew a plenty across cyberspace.   :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #121232 on: May 30, 2022, 04:44:44 pm »

It wasn't a pretty aircraft from any angle...

There's a strain in UK defence vehicle design that embraces the ugly.  I kind of like it. It's very utilitarian.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121233 on: May 30, 2022, 05:20:09 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234570662657

Ugh.           Déjà vu.

Déjà vu uggh. From a year or two back.    :o

mnem
Oh, hey... smiley face.  :P

Folk who do that to these lovely meters should be hung by their testes  >:D :-DD

Not about to get that close to any of 'em... that kind of diseased mind might be contagious.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121234 on: May 30, 2022, 05:25:46 pm »

I notice you're not disputing the statement... only exacting revenge.  :-DD

mnem
Bring it; I already know the shadow of my arse weighs 20 lbs... >:D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 05:28:27 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121235 on: May 30, 2022, 05:38:04 pm »
...There's a strain in UK defence vehicle design that embraces the ugly.  I kind of like it. It's very utilitarian.

Hey... I always had a soft spot for the Victor... It's what the X1 would look like once it grew up and had to work for a living... ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #121236 on: May 30, 2022, 05:38:24 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234570662657   Ugh.
Aside from the innate philistinism, the buggers couldn't even be bothered to give it a clean before they wrecked it forever, it's filthy.  It's not like they had the excuse that they to be carefully how it was cleaned to protect any components.

Yeeeeaahhh... scraping off the pigeonshit and bug parts would destroy its rustic charm...   

Sigh. Patina[1]. That's patina. Much prized amongst antique collectors and interior designers.

[1] Pronounced PAT-ina, not pa-TEENA, some TV antiques dealers in Conway notwithstanding.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121237 on: May 30, 2022, 05:43:26 pm »

Ah yes, sibling love/hate. Like the time my vegan brother posted on Facebook that he was at a Montana steakhouse and when his lame excuses and hypocrisy ran out of steam from my questioning the F bombs flew a plenty across cyberspace.   :-DD

"Vegans" and "consistency/comprehension" are like "military" and "intelligence". B12 deficiency causes irreversable CNS and brain damage, but it takes decades since the liver stores a lot of B12.

Alternatively, what do you expect if you question the consistency of a convert's new religion.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121238 on: May 30, 2022, 05:50:04 pm »
To be fair you can solve that problem by eating fortified cereals and soya milk

Prefer an egg and cheese McMuffin myself.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #121239 on: May 30, 2022, 05:57:39 pm »
I can solve this problem way faster by eating a good old steak instead of drinking genome modified soy milk ...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121240 on: May 30, 2022, 05:58:17 pm »
[Fx: Aardvark leans back and looks smug.]

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121241 on: May 30, 2022, 06:00:35 pm »
Problem with ants is they aren’t very tasty. I have tried them.

I can solve this problem way faster by eating a good old steak instead of drinking genome modified soy milk ...

Stuff I drink isn’t GM. I have to take it very easy on the dairy or I am very unpleasant to be around  :-DD. Lactose free stuff isn’t universally available but soya is so swapped it out.

Anyway some TE stuff for a change. The JFET has arrived for the HP 3465A. I shall install it tonight.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 06:05:20 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #121242 on: May 30, 2022, 06:14:00 pm »
Hi Guys,
it has been a while. Hope everyone is good!  :-+

during my time away i have been collecting.
i am now looking for a list of specs and ages of the following FLUKE meters.
Fluke 23,25,27,73,77, 8025B
Maybe Med or BD will maybe have a list of this old Fluke meters as i think they have them.

Hope you can help me.

Tony
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 06:46:05 pm by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121243 on: May 30, 2022, 06:20:43 pm »

Agreed on all counts.

Too many voluntary converts become vegan because it is more natural, or less industrial, or other emotive reasoning. They will reject industrial additives on principle, not realising the ways pre-industrial people get their B12.

The soya milk drink should contain added industrial chemicals, Ca being particularly important.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121244 on: May 30, 2022, 06:32:29 pm »

Agreed on all counts.

Too many voluntary converts become vegan because it is more natural, or less industrial, or other emotive reasoning. They will reject industrial additives on principle, not realising the ways pre-industrial people get their B12.

The soya milk drink should contain added industrial chemicals, Ca being particularly important.

Yes it’s the whole “chemicals” thing again. I had a fun discussion about that with the ex mother in law once. She won’t eat margarine because “it’s all chemicals” apparently. Same with a person recently on a random eating out thing. This devolves always into there being good chemicals and “bad chemicals”. Of course no one can name a bad chemical or for that matter a good chemical.

I rather like our post industrial society! We live long and don’t have to walk up to the end of the garden for a shit.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121245 on: May 30, 2022, 06:45:26 pm »

Agreed on all counts.

Yes it’s the whole “chemicals” thing again. I had a fun discussion about that with the ex mother in law once. She won’t eat margarine because “it’s all chemicals” apparently. Same with a person recently on a random eating out thing. This devolves always into there being good chemicals and “bad chemicals”. Of course no one can name a bad chemical or for that matter a good chemical.

I rather like our post industrial society! We live long and don’t have to walk up to the end of the garden for a shit.

Discussing the ill effects, including death, from dihydrogen monoxide is a useful technique. If they twig too soon, then you can flip onto the effects of 02 at higher than atmospheric concentrations.

The butter industry did once take out a full-page advert showing the processes involved in making margarine.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 06:47:12 pm by tggzzz »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121246 on: May 30, 2022, 06:53:18 pm »

Agreed on all counts.

Discussing the ill effects, including death, from dihydrogen monoxide is a useful technique. If they twig too soon, then you can flip onto the effects of 02 at higher than atmospheric concentrations.

The butter industry did once take out a full-page advert showing the processes involved in making margarine.

Yea margarine is mostly made if dihydrogen monoxide and vegetable oil. If you call it spring water and rapeseed oil they’d be all over it.

As for the advert I didn’t know that. Explained!

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121247 on: May 30, 2022, 07:02:38 pm »

I don't eat margarine because it's 'orrible, butter's much nicer. That aside, older formulations of margarine used to contain very high levels of trans fats, modern ones often contain palm oil which directly or indirectly is a cause of rainforest deforestation for palm planation.

As far as 'bad' chemicals goes, most metallorganics come close to fitting the definition.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #121248 on: May 30, 2022, 07:06:45 pm »
One more experiment from the "Fun with TEA" dept: How to spin a motor

So I've got this neat model of an 3 phase induction motor.

It's label says 50Hz, 24V Strangspannung. So this is the phase voltage across one of the windings. It's wired in delta configuration, so one needs 24V phase-to-phase, which equals 13.8V phase-to-neutral.

Next, I've got this 3 channel amplifier (http://wunderkis.de/pwramp3/index.html). If you've read this article, you'll know I've built in some provisions to generate a 3 phase output from a single phase input. But hey, that's not the fun of TEA spirit to just use this feature.

No, I'm using this triplet of TM500 devices: FG501A. One can link them by trigger in and trigger out connectors, set them to the same (or slightly lower) frequency and fiddle with the knobs until one gets a nice three phase output.

Feed this into the amplifier, watch the result on the power meter and wonder at the motor spinning:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 07:10:47 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121249 on: May 30, 2022, 07:08:05 pm »

I don't eat margarine because it's 'orrible, butter's much nicer. That aside, older formulations of margarine used to contain very high levels of trans fats, modern ones often contain palm oil which directly or indirectly is a cause of rainforest deforestation for palm planation.

As far as 'bad' chemicals goes, most metallorganics come close to fitting the definition.

Butter is glorious but I am trying not to be a fat bastard again  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf