Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16949466 times)

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #119200 on: May 07, 2022, 12:50:35 pm »
That's quite the challenge.

How many layers is the board?

Less than when it was made  :-DD

OK, that actually made me chuckle out loud.

Me not so much. Two I think.

Mind got 4  :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #119201 on: May 07, 2022, 01:53:25 pm »

Less than when it was made  :-DD

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Thanks for the laugh over my morning cuppa... I needed it.

Big project this weekend... I've put it off all winter. Now the reality is setting in... :palm:

mnem
 :scared:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #119202 on: May 07, 2022, 01:53:58 pm »
Reminds me of the HP 4276A LCZ meter I repaired a while back.
I ended up lifting the soldermask to get all the junk out and prevent it being trapped to do further damage.
Some ham-fisted gorilla had taken to the gold fingers with a screwdriver previously to try to scratch away the corrosion, but with a little love and a new socket, it came up great.
The leaky battery was replaced with an off-board replacement using fly-leads. Machine is still working strong and I use it all the time.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 02:01:31 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, syau

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119203 on: May 07, 2022, 01:57:18 pm »
If it’s any consolation I’ve been there a couple of times. One was an annoyingly crispy Acorn A440
I paid waaaaay too much for. Misery loves company.
Soooooo many crispy RCAs back in the day. Chopper consolidated with HOT design.   

mnem
*PTSD flashiebackie time*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119204 on: May 07, 2022, 02:02:28 pm »

Two I think.

A two-layer board offers more hope of successful repair.

Fingers crossed/Thumbs pressed.
Ditto... claws, wings, toes and tail crossed for luck.

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119205 on: May 07, 2022, 02:13:51 pm »

Maybe you missed the part where my daughter is global developmental delay/high functioning autistic. I know I've mentioned it before.

No, I know that. You've mentioned it.

I have a better than average understanding how easily she could be taken advantage of; I know how easily I was manipulated when I was younger, and I know she will be much more gullible for many more years to come than I was. I am doing all I know how to prepare her for life anyways, but I will still watch out for her, and I hope that when I'm gone her big brother will continue to do so in my place.

She is gonna need it; every aspect of her life is going to take that much longer to develop than it does for the rest of us.

If I explain from which angle I'm coming, it might be clearer, even if it's not something you agree even partially with:

Our eldest is a prime example Aspie, with Tourettes strains and ADD. We of course realised that something was different quite early, but it wasn't diagnosed until he was 15. Instead we pushed him and his abilities. And he held together, with a lot of work from our and his side.

Hence my belief in careful challenges.

I don't think we're that much apart as it might seem, but you framed your protection in that highschool romance movie angry dad style that I'm certain will just make things worse.
I don't know if your situation is even marginally comparable I'm afraid. Any more than that is just not appropriate for this space.

The TL/DR of my situation is more like: Actual reality somewhere between chronic free-floating parental terror at the reality of my situation and the caricature I've deliberately painted for comedic effect.

If you have any insights you'd like to share, feel free to PM me. If not I fully understand.

mnem
 :-X

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119206 on: May 07, 2022, 03:32:21 pm »
Ebay UK question :

Still working on my on-line shopping for axial caps to complete the recap of my Tek 180A Time Mark Generator.

Have now given up on the usual big retailers and instead now focus on Ebay sellers.

The best deals I find are in the UK go figure.
For example, but just an example, this one :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/254131317731?hash=item3b2b682be3:g:elAAAOSwyWxb159l

Question : of course I would say no no no no no to any UK seller because of import related taxes and fees and other rip off that you only realize the extent of once you receive the parts and someone somewhere asks to pay this or that or else...

But... but... on Ebay, ads from UK vendors since Brexit used to clearly specify at the top of the page, how much it would cost for import duties and taxes, so at least you had the information to make a decision.  But... on this ad, and others from the UK, I don't see that anymore ?! It just says "shipping XX Euros to France ", and that's all. As if the UK suddenly moved back to Europe ??

SOOO : I am tempted, but it's too good to be true of course, so I am wary !   Or, have Ebay or the UK at large made some kind of business agreement with the EU to simplify buying stuff (at least on Ebay ?) from the UK ?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 03:34:28 pm by Vince »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119207 on: May 07, 2022, 03:47:20 pm »
As it's French taxes and duties you're asking about surely you're better off asking nearer to home.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119208 on: May 07, 2022, 03:51:37 pm »
Yeah but it's UK sellers so locals could be aware of the conditions applied t UK sellers, deals made with EU I might not have heard of... I don't know hence I am asking.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119209 on: May 07, 2022, 04:03:04 pm »
Found a page on Ebay UK that says there is indeed a deal with the EU, where Ebay collects the VAT. The price shown on a UK ad includes VAT and Ebay gives it back to EU. It's transparent for the buyer in France/Europe. They say it's possible that the carrier fucks up and charges the buyer for VAT, hence VAT is being paid twice, but Ebay says if this should happen, we can send them a copy of the carrier VAT paper work, and they would refund the buyer.

So sounds good so far... as far as VAT goes. Now need to figure out the duty taxes part, what happened to that...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/listings/default/vat-obligations-uk-eu?id=4650

EDIT : some googling/reading later.... OK I give up, no UK anything for me... please get back on-board so we can buy stuff from you again  :palm:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 04:17:01 pm by Vince »

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #119210 on: May 07, 2022, 04:19:53 pm »
What's the problem with Digikey/Mouser?
Even here in Japan I get free 3-5 day shipping when I fill my cart to $50 worth of stuff, which isn't hard to do at all.... :D  :-/O

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119211 on: May 07, 2022, 04:26:00 pm »
Ok impressed with this for < £40 (via Amazon). Solid, good seal. I'm not taking it to the ocean so should be good.

Imagine it'd do an admirable job with portable TE as well  :-+

Not long 'til I am rid of that fucking horrible wallpaper finally  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119212 on: May 07, 2022, 04:39:14 pm »
TETRIS: Adulthood Edition

I've been looking over a complete reorganization of my garage, to gain access to the things that I need to work on in it now the weather is decent. And now I have no more excuses to put it off, since I've finished building my new workbench. :P

It will all have to start with unpacking my tools and putting them in my big effing toolbox all the way in back... this is probably a couple days' work in itself.  :scared:

mnem

We're gonna need a bigger boat...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119213 on: May 07, 2022, 04:39:49 pm »
Ok impressed with this for < £40 (via Amazon). Solid, good seal. I'm not taking it to the ocean so should be good.

Thats a nice case. Is the new flat also ground floor?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119214 on: May 07, 2022, 04:41:04 pm »

Looks good. What exact phrase goes one need to feed Amazon's completely useless search box to make that particular variety turn up?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119215 on: May 07, 2022, 04:44:14 pm »
Even here in Japan I get free 3-5 day shipping when I fill my cart to $50 worth of stuff, which isn't hard to do at all.... :D  :-/O

Because it's 20 Euros flat fee from what people said, but when I did a dry run, simulating an order, at the very last step of the ordering process out of the blue they said  "There is an extra 10 Euros fee for France".
So 30 Euros of fees for 5 or 10 Euros of caps, erm no, I am not that rich.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 04:45:53 pm by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119216 on: May 07, 2022, 04:49:22 pm »
Found a page on Ebay UK that says there is indeed a deal with the EU, where Ebay collects the VAT. The price shown on a UK ad includes VAT and Ebay gives it back to EU. It's transparent for the buyer in France/Europe. They say it's possible that the carrier fucks up and charges the buyer for VAT, hence VAT is being paid twice, but Ebay says if this should happen, we can send them a copy of the carrier VAT paper work, and they would refund the buyer.

So sounds good so far... as far as VAT goes. Now need to figure out the duty taxes part, what happened to that...

EDIT : some googling/reading later.... OK I give up, no UK anything for me... please get back on-board so we can buy stuff from you again  :palm:
Don't you see any sellers offering shipment via eBay Global Shipping...? That resolves the entire issue, as eBay handles it all.  :-//

I do wish eBay would make that a filter... it would make life so much easier. Alas, just like Wally Wurlld, they really don't seem to care how much of their customers' time they waste.  ::)

mnem
*back out into the fray*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119217 on: May 07, 2022, 04:51:52 pm »
Looks good. What exact phrase goes one need to feed Amazon's completely useless search box to make that particular variety turn up?

Direct link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PUL61QG/

Thats a nice case. Is the new flat also ground floor?

Not in the new one yet!

Edit: now do I go and order a large SHIELD sticker for the side of it  :-DD
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 04:55:23 pm by bd139 »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #119218 on: May 07, 2022, 04:55:44 pm »
Ebay UK question :

Still working on my on-line shopping for axial caps to complete the recap of my Tek 180A Time Mark Generator.

Have now given up on the usual big retailers and instead now focus on Ebay sellers.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/254131317731

Question : of course I would say no no no no no to any UK seller because of import related taxes and fees and other rip off that you only realize the extent of once you receive the parts and someone somewhere asks to pay this or that or else...

But... but... on Ebay, ads from UK vendors since Brexit used to clearly specify at the top of the page, how much it would cost for import duties and taxes, so at least you had the information to make a decision.  But... on this ad, and others from the UK, I don't see that anymore ?! It just says "shipping XX Euros to France ", and that's all. As if the UK suddenly moved back to Europe ??

SOOO : I am tempted, but it's too good to be true of course, so I am wary !   Or, have Ebay or the UK at large made some kind of business agreement with the EU to simplify buying stuff (at least on Ebay ?) from the UK ?

I've bought 2x 10 of those 1000nF/630V axial PP capacitors.
If you want, I can send you 10 of them. Envelope to France should be doable.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119219 on: May 07, 2022, 05:03:50 pm »
The search string I've always used for these things is waterproof hard case .

After that, I'll look through the "featured products" for a page or two, then if I don't find a price I like I'll sort by price low-high.

mnem
 :-/O

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #119220 on: May 07, 2022, 05:11:29 pm »

This case of yours is looking like the ones from Peli:

https://peli.com/
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #119221 on: May 07, 2022, 05:17:34 pm »

Because it's 20 Euros flat fee from what people said, but when I did a dry run, simulating an order, at the very last step of the ordering process out of the blue they said  "There is an extra 10 Euros fee for France".
So 30 Euros of fees for 5 or 10 Euros of caps, erm no, I am not that rich.

Weird.
When I go to Digikey.fr, once I add around the magic US$50 to the cart it tells me I get free shipping. I didn't go through to selecting the shipping method though as I don't have a French address to try.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119222 on: May 07, 2022, 05:35:33 pm »

This case of yours is looking like the ones from Peli:

https://peli.com/

Indeed. Except half the price.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119223 on: May 07, 2022, 05:46:44 pm »

Don't you see any sellers offering shipment via eBay Global Shipping...? That resolves the entire issue, as eBay handles it all.  :-//

I do wish eBay would make that a filter... it would make life so much easier. Alas, just like Wally Wurlld, they really don't seem to care how much of their customers' time they waste.  ::)

mnem
*back out into the fray*

I have no experience or particular knowledge of this GSP thing, as I seldom buy from non-EU countries on Ebay, but will keep that in mind  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119224 on: May 07, 2022, 05:49:55 pm »
Ebay UK question :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/254131317731

I've bought 2x 10 of those 1000nF/630V axial PP capacitors.
If you want, I can send you 10 of them. Envelope to France should be doable.

Danke schön !  >:D

The other values I need I think I will order from that German website, they have decent prices a fairly large selection of values and shipping costs the same no matter how many values you order. They lack the 18nF I need but I will just parallel a 15nF with a 2.2nF or 3.3nF.
You gotta compromise somewhere or you never get anything done  ::)

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/125242754106?hash=item1d290cc43a:g:KGsAAOSwfE9gXchv#shpCntId

Failing that, this website has 470nF ones so I could // a couple of them to get close enough to 1uF... but a proper, single 1uF cap would look neater...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf