Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16956385 times)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #119150 on: May 06, 2022, 05:04:29 pm »
Bit of a cheeky flip on ebay UK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275295607882
Was
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TTI-TG1010-Programmable-10MHz-DDS-Function-Generator-BA4-/394042254993
They even stole the image from the original listing. They cannot even have received the generator yet.
The buyer and seller feedback scores match.

Have a punt at this one instead:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255515545471

<SNIP>

This looks like the sort of thing Robert enjoys:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165461833375

I was watching that already. I've got 4 or 5 digitial synchro / resolver indicators already. The DDC one is interesting because it is 0.001 degree resolution and 0.005 degree accuracy. 
Also it's manual explicitly states that a calibration check only needs a ac supply of about 400 Hz and more than 10 V. You just connect it to the inputs in various combinations and get reading for every 60 degrees. There is no adjustment. Synchros and resolvers are totally ratiometric so as long as the two ADCs are monotonic and linear you are good to go. Most of the others call up a precision synchro simulator which then needs calibration.
I won the auction with no other bids and assuming it works will have a high resolution standard angle indicator that has "tracable cal"  ;D
Not many people are using synchros these days though.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #119151 on: May 06, 2022, 05:36:42 pm »
The UK housing market is completely dysfunctional.

Daughter is getting a no-fault eviction in September; she stands zero chance of getting somewhere to live:
  • self-employed: lenders say no proof of earnings
  • has dog: landlords say no
  • is single and employed: councils say not a priority

"Fortunately" her (beloved) grandmother died and I'm in a position to allow her inheritance to skip a generation (assuming the house sale completes). Talk about the nick of time.

Yeah similar situation. Just basically have to put down one year of rent up front, in my case £24k  :scared:

Daughter reckons landlords think that implies you are going to be absent, and will turn the property into a greenhouse full of funny purple lights.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119152 on: May 06, 2022, 05:46:40 pm »
Congratulations, I think  ???

Griefkit counter out for delivery via Hermes. Here we go...

I've been waiting for a deivery of some space-race era photos, so put a "push the bell -->" sign in my letterbox.

Herpes Hermes is usually reasonable here, but this time the Herpes Evri Nevri driver ignored it. I don't think he got close enough to read it.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #119153 on: May 06, 2022, 06:06:47 pm »
"Just a quick spit-polish to get this FG504 ready to sell off".....  :-DD

Looks like the bench could use a spit-polish too.  :-DD :-DD J/K.  ;D

Been meaning to ask. Are you fluent in speaking/writing Japanese?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119154 on: May 06, 2022, 06:10:28 pm »

Daughter is getting a no-fault eviction in September; she stands zero chance of getting somewhere to live:

"Fortunately" her (beloved) grandmother died and I'm in a position to allow her inheritance to skip a generation (assuming the house sale completes). Talk about the nick of time.

Yeah similar situation. Just basically have to put down one year of rent up front, in my case £24k  :scared:

Daughter reckons landlords think that implies you are going to be absent, and will turn the property into a greenhouse full of funny purple lights.

Bit difficult smuggling crops like that past the concierge  :-DD

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #119155 on: May 06, 2022, 06:12:00 pm »

The bench is almost always in a terrible state, that's how you know it's getting used properly!... :D

And, my Japanese is terrible. Haha. I can get by day to day, but I find Google translate and my wife to be very helpful in filling in the (very large) gaps.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #119156 on: May 06, 2022, 06:19:30 pm »

The bench is almost always in a terrible state, that's how you know it's getting used properly!... :D

And, my Japanese is terrible. Haha. I can get by day to day, but I find Google translate and my wife to be very helpful in filling in the (very large) gaps.

Do you ever see my bench idle?  :-//

Can't hear you.  ;D

I rest my case.  :P :P :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #119157 on: May 06, 2022, 06:34:45 pm »
So yes... I can totally see myself having "the talk" with every suitor who comes to see my daughter... and it shall most likely include snapping a pic of the driver's license (she's never going out unsupervised with any boy who isn't at least that responsible and prepared for life) & it will most likely end with "...and if you make her cry, I WILL make YOU cry."

This is 1950s bullshit. It just perpetuates a gender stereotype.  If the US indeed is back-asswards enough to require it, and it does seem so, I pity you lot.
Maybe you missed the part where my daughter is global developmental delay/high functioning autistic. I know I've mentioned it before.

This has nothing to do with gender, or me being an American. Well, IME the inability to provide "balanced protectiveness" is; but I already explained my position on that. If you feel your kids are ready for that most personal of encounters as they are, well good for you.

I have a better than average understanding how easily she could be taken advantage of; I know how easily I was manipulated when I was younger, and I know she will be much more gullible for many more years to come than I was. I am doing all I know how to prepare her for life anyways, but I will still watch out for her, and I hope that when I'm gone her big brother will continue to do so in my place.

She is gonna need it; every aspect of her life is going to take that much longer to develop than it does for the rest of us.

Cheers,

mnem
*toddles off to pick them up from school*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #119158 on: May 06, 2022, 06:38:39 pm »
Bleh. Misbehaving 745A AC calibrator. Anyone desperate for a project?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #119159 on: May 06, 2022, 06:42:51 pm »

I've heard, that bd139 needs some distraction from his other activities.  >:D  :-/O  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119160 on: May 06, 2022, 07:02:55 pm »

I've heard, that bd139 needs some distraction from his other activities.  >:D  :-/O  ;D

I need small, manageable distractions  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #119161 on: May 06, 2022, 07:15:14 pm »
Sweet baby Jesus....  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119162 on: May 06, 2022, 07:45:43 pm »
RIP  :scared:

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #119163 on: May 06, 2022, 07:50:09 pm »
Yes, but why shouldn't key workers be able to get on the property ladder as well instead of being doomed to being renters all their life and seeing their rents for ever-increasing while homeowners, once the mortgage is paid, see their monthly out goings drop dramatically?

Well you have to ask the extreme which is why should anyone be able to get on the property ladder? It's a privilege yes, but a necessity no when we have a half decent welfare system in place (I know I'll get flak for that one  :-DD). I know people who did get on the property ladder and are a lot worse off for it. I actually don't know anyone who was better off for owning really at this point. As for rent increasing, so does the housing component of universal credit.

As to getting on the housing list and getting given a council flat/house, my son and his partner had been living in a privately rented flat for 4 years, and on the housing list with the council. They were on the top floor of a block of flats and his partner is a registered disabled person and needed a ground floor flat or a house. They have now got a ground floor flat, 3 years later, but NOT with the local council though, it's with a London based housing association, and that is here in the middle of Essex, so your ex was bleeding lucky to get a place that quick.

The thing is that there's a queue. Have to wait for people to snuff it or move on or build more houses  :-//

Need to solve all these problems: universal basic income, rent control, better housing standards and housing stock. Unfortunately a lot of our politicians are landlords and business folk and that's a bit too left for them. Plus that silly old witch introduced the right to buy scheme.

Reluctant though I am to participate in political discussions here on the TEA thread, I feel I have to point out that the Right To Buy policy is not the problem. The problem is that she also made it illegal for local councils to borrow against their capital in order to build new housing stock.

Normal on-topic service will be resumed in my next post.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #119164 on: May 06, 2022, 08:13:12 pm »
Ok, fleabay time.

Slightly on the expensive side, I feel:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284791105642

Can't imagine how much tzzzzztt is inside this, but quite a lot I'd guess:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325176998475

Less tzzzztt, still enough to give you a thrill I think though:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374060984811

Stand by for the Fluke tax to kick in and send the price to the far north:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144534987507

Massive massive want, someone local buy it and mail it to me please:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325173973423

This seems close to reasonably priced:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134106389672

Here's one NOT for bd139...    :horse:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265668915348

Seems a bit salty, might be worth a lowball:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313970920599

Overpriced case for your favourite hammer:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265631040410

Don't think I've ever seen a workbench big enough for this..:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255523718174

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119165 on: May 06, 2022, 08:36:11 pm »

I've been waiting for a deivery of some space-race era photos, so put a "push the bell -->" sign in my letterbox.

Herpes Hermes is usually reasonable here, but this time the Herpes Evri Nevri driver ignored it. I don't think he got close enough to read it.
I on the other hand seem to have far better luck with Hermes/Evri and also InPost which is also part of the same group, and the delivery driver is the same. I scored on another online sales platform, a new, still sealed and in box 12 digit, 2 colour printing calculator, current version on Amazon is over £150, and I got mine for £24 delivered, arrived today.

It was sent via InPost, and it was Evri driver who dropped it off, all nicely wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper like a present, with zero extra packing to protect the calculator and its carton, and I received it in the same condition it would have been if I purchased it in a local shop. So it really does seem to be more to with your local driver's rather than anything else with the Hermes Group.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119166 on: May 06, 2022, 08:39:09 pm »

Bit difficult smuggling crops like that past the concierge  :-DD
Just offer to give them a cut, simples.... :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #119167 on: May 06, 2022, 08:43:05 pm »
Actually on that topic, she sent me this the other day  :-DD   
So... you're saying she was born with The Knack...?

Poor thing... she will be doomed to forever know better, yet cursed to stand by helpless as those around her repeat the lessons of history, never learning from them...  :o

mnem
Cassandra was an optimist.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 08:50:18 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119168 on: May 06, 2022, 08:45:47 pm »

I on the other hand seem to have far better luck with Hermes/Evri and also InPost which is also part of the same group, and the delivery driver is the same. I scored on another online sales platform, a new, still sealed and in box 12 digit, 2 colour printing calculator, current version on Amazon is over £150, and I got mine for £24 delivered, arrived today.

It was sent via InPost, and it was Evri driver who dropped it off, all nicely wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper like a present, with zero extra packing to protect the calculator and its carton, and I received it in the same condition it would have been if I purchased it in a local shop. So it really does seem to be more to with your local driver's rather than anything else with the Hermes Group.

Sounds like the apocryphal "aquarium trick": to get them delivered safely packaging was removed so the glass was clearly visible - and would have to be cleared up if broken.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119169 on: May 06, 2022, 08:49:00 pm »
I scored on another online sales platform, a new, still sealed and in box 12 digit, 2 colour printing calculator, current version on Amazon is over £150, and I got mine for £24 delivered, arrived today.

Ahh an electromechanical spreadsheet  :-DD

So... you're saying she was born with The Knack...?

Poor thing... she will be doomed to forever know better, and cursed to stand by helpless, as those around her repeat the lessons of history, never learning from them...  :o

Clearly. On top of that she's school tech support. As if that wasn't enough, she's applying for a summer job at the local Apple Store as well  :scared:

Spent a couple of hours in LTspice this evening. It's refreshing to be back in there again rather than dealing with solicitors, boxes of shite and politics!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119170 on: May 06, 2022, 08:51:59 pm »
Sweet baby Jesus....  :palm:

That is what I feared when I saw the first photo, looking terminal?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119171 on: May 06, 2022, 08:58:34 pm »
Massive massive want, someone local buy it and mail it to me please:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325173973423

If I'd known, I would have flogged you mine! Oh well.

Why don't you tell the vendor to not bother with packaging, and just stick the label on the outside of the case. It would survive all shipping mishaps except outright theft!

Uxbridge? Ask bd nicely :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119172 on: May 06, 2022, 09:03:33 pm »
Ok, fleabay time.

Overpriced case for your favourite hammer:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265631040410

WTF.. I got 2 of them myself, complete with 27's, leads and manuals, not parting with em though, useful backups both as DMM's and hammers  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119173 on: May 06, 2022, 10:19:22 pm »

Uxbridge? Ask bd nicely :)

My thoughts exactly. Uxbridge is one of my old stomping grounds but I live on the other side of London now, Anders could probably get there faster himself than I could.

BD on the other hand is about a 15-20 minute drive away...  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #119174 on: May 07, 2022, 12:44:20 am »

I already have one in my queue, but appreciate the offer.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf