Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16949410 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #119125 on: May 06, 2022, 01:49:21 pm »
I'm preparing a talk where I kindly explain I can do stuff with electricity no forensic scientist is ever going to figure out.
Will you be providing hand-outs?   >:D

Can I subscribe?

I know explaining yourself seems to be a staple for all Holleywood vilains. But no. Kinda defeats the purpose.

I don't need a detailed analysis; I just wanna know one thing: Will there be any kind of char* str+inator involved...?  >:D

mnem
*tzzzzt*
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 02:00:48 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119126 on: May 06, 2022, 02:20:25 pm »
Maybe with less foreign money swilling around the place now, maybe prices will become more stable.

It's difficult to see how "foreign money swilling around the place" has affected the housing market at the level that most of us experience it at. Sure, it's ripped the cap off the pricing on the ultra-high end, but a couple looking to buy their first family property were never looking for a luxury apartment in Knightsbridge. I think house pricing is going to stay just as volatile and over-heated as ever whilst people think of money put into property as an investment rather than as the cost of "somewhere to live". People nowadays have too much invested (in both senses) into the idea of their homes as a financial instrument to allow the housing market to return to sane pricing levels.
Yeah you may be right, however I was under the impression that London in particular was infested with overseas investors, buying up as many houses as they could and then letting them out at inflated rents, thus pushing up the value of other properties when they come on the market. Hence why teachers and other vital workers are struggling to find affordable living accommodation, thus having to either commute daily at extra cost or give up working in London which also helps to explain the difficulty in recruiting staff.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #119127 on: May 06, 2022, 02:36:46 pm »
The latter part of that is pretty much global, and has only gotten worse with the instability surrounding the pandemic. Everything costs ~20-40% more, and that whole "all you need is ~70K a year salary to be comfortable" thing of a few years ago is a fond memory. My wave a finger in the air guess is more like 100-120K now, so still two normal people's salaries to pay for one moderately comfortable life's worth of living expense.  :palm:

The only people who really fit this current mold are DINKs... until they fuck it up and have kids.  |O

mnem
 :blah:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 02:43:09 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119128 on: May 06, 2022, 02:44:19 pm »
Yeah you may be right, however I was under the impression that London in particular was infested with overseas investors, buying up as many houses as they could and then letting them out at inflated rents, thus pushing up the value of other properties when they come on the market.

Well, I can add a data point to that. The ground floor maisonette below us has had three owners since the rather nice old duffer, Graham, who lived there when we first moved in 'upstairs'. Sadly he died of a massive heart attack one Sunday while there on his own; I had to help the police break in after they got a "welfare check" call from one of his friends who he has supposed to visit that day.

The next couple to buy it lived there for a couple of years, then moved and rented it out, citing the difficulty of selling it. It then had a succession of tenants for a few years. The pattern then repeated itself with another couple living there (couple of gay lads for what it's worth) who also lived there a couple of years, needed to move, and rented it out to a nice Ukrainian lesbian couple for a few years, again citing difficulty in selling it. They finally sold it a few months back and the new owner hasn't moved in, hasn't let it, and so we don't yet know what the next chapter holds for it.

Our flat used to belong to Graham's sister, who had bought it from a gay couple who had owned it since the 60s, so our whole house has quite some LGBT history; I wonder if Stonewall ought to put up a pink plaque?

Anyway, I think that suggests that there's a lot more driving the rental market than rapacious commercial landlords buying stuff up and renting it out at exorbitant prices.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #119129 on: May 06, 2022, 02:59:35 pm »

Every generation (well, every one that follows mother nature's core design; as with all things, there are some exceptions) comes to terms with the fact that in some part, they will always be the "little ones" to their parents... because as the parents age and grow and learn the lessons that come with every stage of life, they see their kids following and learning the same lessons they learned a decade or two later. If a parent actually pays any attention to their offspring this cycle never ends, right up to and including coming to terms with one's own mortality and preparing one's offspring for that last shared experience.

Yes, I love my children. Yes, I will do things for them that I do for no-one other. But: No, they are not perfect, and no, they will go through life some times both getting disappointed and disappointing other people. That is how it works. I would do them the greatest disservice if I assumed them to be perfect and at the same time incapable of taking care of themselves.  I want robust children, and they can't be that without some training where they realise the effects of their actions.

So yes... I can totally see myself having "the talk" with every suitor who comes to see my daughter... and it shall most likely include snapping a pic of the driver's license (she's never going out unsupervised with any boy who isn't at least that responsible and prepared for life) & it will most likely end with "...and if you make her cry, I WILL make YOU cry."

This is 1950s bullshit. It just perpetuates a gender stereotype.  If the US indeed is back-asswards enough to require it, and it does seem so, I pity you lot.

TE Content: One of my friends had brought his Nixie clock (RPI daughter board with .ua NOS tubes) to the conference so I got a prime occasion to flash the sellers pics of the 5245L so as to indicate where the coolness in Nixies originated.  I am spreading the cure for not understanding that every home needs TE.

Speaking of the 5245L: DPD says it is waiting for me at the closest parcel center to home. I've not gotten a pickup code or slip that I know of, so perhaps may have to wait until I get such a note to pick it up.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119130 on: May 06, 2022, 03:03:27 pm »
It isn't just daughters, although I quite ready accept that the problem is most evident in the father<->daughter relationship. The only time that parents even begin to get an inkling that their children aren't children anymore is around about the time that they realise that a child is in fact (1) earning more than they ever did, and (2) has more responsibility then they ever did. So, generally sometime in the "child's" fourties, if ever.

I'm happy here. My eldest was born in her mid 30s. How many 18 year olds do you know who love spreadsheets and real ale?

... and aren't male virgins headed off to Uni. to study Physics or Comp-Sci?   >:D

Well you'd think.

Actually on that topic, she sent me this the other day  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119131 on: May 06, 2022, 03:11:04 pm »
Maybe with less foreign money swilling around the place now, maybe prices will become more stable.

It's difficult to see how "foreign money swilling around the place" has affected the housing market at the level that most of us experience it at. Sure, it's ripped the cap off the pricing on the ultra-high end, but a couple looking to buy their first family property were never looking for a luxury apartment in Knightsbridge. I think house pricing is going to stay just as volatile and over-heated as ever whilst people think of money put into property as an investment rather than as the cost of "somewhere to live". People nowadays have too much invested (in both senses) into the idea of their homes as a financial instrument to allow the housing market to return to sane pricing levels.
Yeah you may be right, however I was under the impression that London in particular was infested with overseas investors, buying up as many houses as they could and then letting them out at inflated rents, thus pushing up the value of other properties when they come on the market. Hence why teachers and other vital workers are struggling to find affordable living accommodation, thus having to either commute daily at extra cost or give up working in London which also helps to explain the difficulty in recruiting staff.

Everyone likes someone to blame and it's easier to blame someone outside of the UK. The majority of London's housing problems are because the rest of the country is a zombie wasteland. That drove up demand and prices in London. Of course the estate agents are somewhat to blame for helping inflate the prices quickly for percentage commission purposes. This is the driver of the large amount of butthurt against Londoners because people will build infrastructure where it's used and is in demand because that's the only really cost effective outcome. That leads to improvements and a cycle of increasing demand and then cost.

But quite frankly the key and vital workers are getting a better deal than the rest because they have the option of housing association, council properties and are covered with universal credit up to a quite reasonable amount of money for housing that puts them well within the reach of the private sector rental market. My ex wife was on the housing list and got a 2 bedroom flat in 6 weeks :-//

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119132 on: May 06, 2022, 03:14:13 pm »
HP8112A pulse gen. Not starting. Because...

Oh that's proper nasty  :(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #119133 on: May 06, 2022, 03:23:19 pm »
Today must be off topic day? Lemme add to it.

I finally did it, after days of putting it off. I'm now fully insulin dependent. Got brave enough to do the self injection. And the worry was for nothing. You don't even feel the needle. Checking your blood sugar with the plunger in the finger hurts more. Luckily I'm on a 24 hour insulin. One injection per day. The joys of getting old.  :scared:

I got the "pen" type injector which makes it so much simpler but it still sucks.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119134 on: May 06, 2022, 03:28:52 pm »
Congratulations, I think  ???

Griefkit counter out for delivery via Hermes. Here we go...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119135 on: May 06, 2022, 03:30:08 pm »
HP8112A pulse gen. Not starting. Because...

That ni-cd will erode the reset circuit on the 4 layer pcb. don’t ask why I know.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119136 on: May 06, 2022, 03:31:28 pm »

Everyone likes someone to blame and it's easier to blame someone outside of the UK. The majority of London's housing problems are because the rest of the country is a zombie wasteland. That drove up demand and prices in London. Of course the estate agents are somewhat to blame for helping inflate the prices quickly for percentage commission purposes. This is the driver of the large amount of butthurt against Londoners because people will build infrastructure where it's used and is in demand because that's the only really cost effective outcome. That leads to improvements and a cycle of increasing demand and then cost.

But quite frankly the key and vital workers are getting a better deal than the rest because they have the option of housing association, council properties and are covered with universal credit up to a quite reasonable amount of money for housing that puts them well within the reach of the private sector rental market. My ex wife was on the housing list and got a 2 bedroom flat in 6 weeks :-//
Yes, but why shouldn't key workers be able to get on the property ladder as well instead of being doomed to being renters all their life and seeing their rents for ever-increasing while homeowners, once the mortgage is paid, see their monthly out goings drop dramatically?

As to getting on the housing list and getting given a council flat/house, my son and his partner had been living in a privately rented flat for 4 years, and on the housing list with the council. They were on the top floor of a block of flats and his partner is a registered disabled person and needed a ground floor flat or a house. They have now got a ground floor flat, 3 years later, but NOT with the local council though, it's with a London based housing association, and that is here in the middle of Essex, so your ex was bleeding lucky to get a place that quick.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #119137 on: May 06, 2022, 03:38:59 pm »
Congratulations, I think  ???

Yea, thanks....I think.  :-DD The oral meds (Metformin) ain't working no more so my only alternative was to go on low dose insulin. And I refused to pay the budget busting costs for the "Name Brand" oral meds which I could have tried. I'm not wildly out of control with my blood sugar. It's averaging about 149 mg/dL fasting. Should be no more than 120 mg/dL or ideally 100 mg/dL or less. And with my revised and strict diet I've already lost weight and within 6 pounds of my goal of 170 - 175 pounds. But it's a constant watch and battle.   

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #119138 on: May 06, 2022, 03:39:11 pm »
Today must be off topic day? Lemme add to it.

<snip>

I got the "pen" type injector which makes it so much simpler but it still sucks.

I actually took pains to post TE content even in my offtopic posts. So, there.

As I was recovering from a car crash some 11 years ago, I was given small prepared syringes with blood thinner to self-inject. Was told to do it in belly. Worked quite nicely, actually.  There is diabetes in my family, so am expecting to have to deal with that some time in the future.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #119139 on: May 06, 2022, 03:47:53 pm »

The UK housing market is completely dysfunctional.

Daughter is getting a no-fault eviction in September; she stands zero chance of getting somewhere to live:
  • self-employed: lenders say no proof of earnings
  • has dog: landlords say no
  • is single and employed: councils say not a priority

"Fortunately" her (beloved) grandmother died and I'm in a position to allow her inheritance to skip a generation (assuming the house sale completes). Talk about the nick of time.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119140 on: May 06, 2022, 03:50:58 pm »
Yes, but why shouldn't key workers be able to get on the property ladder as well instead of being doomed to being renters all their life and seeing their rents for ever-increasing while homeowners, once the mortgage is paid, see their monthly out goings drop dramatically?

Well you have to ask the extreme which is why should anyone be able to get on the property ladder? It's a privilege yes, but a necessity no when we have a half decent welfare system in place (I know I'll get flak for that one  :-DD). I know people who did get on the property ladder and are a lot worse off for it. I actually don't know anyone who was better off for owning really at this point. As for rent increasing, so does the housing component of universal credit.

As to getting on the housing list and getting given a council flat/house, my son and his partner had been living in a privately rented flat for 4 years, and on the housing list with the council. They were on the top floor of a block of flats and his partner is a registered disabled person and needed a ground floor flat or a house. They have now got a ground floor flat, 3 years later, but NOT with the local council though, it's with a London based housing association, and that is here in the middle of Essex, so your ex was bleeding lucky to get a place that quick.

The thing is that there's a queue. Have to wait for people to snuff it or move on or build more houses  :-//

Need to solve all these problems: universal basic income, rent control, better housing standards and housing stock. Unfortunately a lot of our politicians are landlords and business folk and that's a bit too left for them. Plus that silly old witch introduced the right to buy scheme.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119141 on: May 06, 2022, 03:52:13 pm »

Daughter is getting a no-fault eviction in September; she stands zero chance of getting somewhere to live:

"Fortunately" her (beloved) grandmother died and I'm in a position to allow her inheritance to skip a generation (assuming the house sale completes). Talk about the nick of time.

Yeah similar situation. Just basically have to put down one year of rent up front, in my case £24k  :scared:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119142 on: May 06, 2022, 04:04:58 pm »

Well you have to ask the extreme which is why should anyone be able to get on the property ladder? It's a privilege yes, but a necessity no when we have a half decent welfare system in place (I know I'll get flak for that one  :-DD). I know people who did get on the property ladder and are a lot worse off for it. I actually don't know anyone who was better off for owning really at this point. As for rent increasing, so does the housing component of universal credit.

The thing is that there's a queue. Have to wait for people to snuff it or move on or build more houses  :-//

Need to solve all these problems: universal basic income, rent control, better housing standards and housing stock. Unfortunately a lot of our politicians are landlords and business folk and that's a bit too left for them. Plus that silly old witch introduced the right to buy scheme.
Amen to that brother. bd139 for PM  :-+ :clap:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119143 on: May 06, 2022, 04:16:32 pm »
Anyway my first on topic post finally. Heathkit IM-4100 arrived via Evri (Herpes)!

Excellent packaging. I was not expecting this.

Don't turn it on, take it apart. Really really clean inside and very well constructed. Someone put some effort into this:

Excellent soldering all round. I am impressed

Front.

Does it work? No idea. Didn't come with a plug. It will run on 12V DC and I have a PL320 here with enough grunt to fire it up. More later, or tomorrow. Got some stuff I need to do first.

Back on the wagon finally  8)

The following users thanked this post: med6753, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #119144 on: May 06, 2022, 04:16:56 pm »

I actually took pains to post TE content even in my offtopic posts. So, there.

And I shall do the same. Two capacitor assemblies built up and ready to install in the Type 547. But must get the old cans out first which sometimes can be a challenge.

And yes, I injected the insulin in my belly and didn't feel a thing. Quite frankly I was surprised and relieved.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119145 on: May 06, 2022, 04:17:11 pm »

Yeah similar situation. Just basically have to put down one year of rent up front, in my case £24k  :scared:
Yep, that's a lot of dough, in my case before I retired, that alone would wipe out almost an entire year's take home pay, leaving me around £500 a month to live on for a family of 5, its disgraceful really those Whitehall merchants just have zero grasp of what most normal folks have to contend with on a daily basis. To think that the PM claims that he can't manage on his massively inflated salary, maybe he should try cheap supermarket's own brand of cola instead of top-notch bubbly then  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119146 on: May 06, 2022, 04:27:39 pm »
Anyway my first on topic post finally. Heathkit IM-4100 arrived via Evri (Herpes)!

Excellent packaging. I was not expecting this.

Don't turn it on, take it apart. Really really clean inside and very well constructed. Someone put some effort into this:

Excellent soldering all round. I am impressed

Front.

Does it work? No idea. Didn't come with a plug. It will run on 12V DC and I have a PL320 here with enough grunt to fire it up. More later, or tomorrow. Got some stuff I need to do first.

Back on the wagon finally  8)
Wow, that looks good and all jellybean stuff, if all of those IC's are still available should be easy to fix as well.  :-+

While you was away, redhead chasing, I scored a Thandar SC100 (with Sinclair PCB's in it) which was a bit sick with some oddball transistors that had failed, lucky I had some generic transistors in my arsenal and was able to get the data sheets for the failed ones and pick something close from my stock and get it back up running again. Quite a nice little unit really, perfectly suited for simple signal tracing being battery operated, ideal. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119147 on: May 06, 2022, 04:32:54 pm »
Wow, that looks good and all jellybean stuff, if all of those IC's are still available should be easy to fix as well.  :-+

While you was away, redhead chasing, I scored a Thandar SC100 (with Sinclair PCB's in it) which was a bit sick with some oddball transistors that had failed, lucky I had some generic transistors in my arsenal and was able to get the data sheets for the failed ones and pick something close from my stock and get it back up running again. Quite a nice little unit really, perfectly suited for simple signal tracing being battery operated, ideal. :-+

Yes it's 100% standard off the shelf parts which is what attracts me to it. Nothing surprising. Only does 30MHz or so but that can be fixed with a prescaler IC. It does totalise as well. Only 5 digits but you can switch it for 12.345 MHz or 34.567 KHz displays which is fine for my immediate needs.

Ah yes I heard of your SC110 mentioned in Discord a few weeks back. Nice little scopes. Had one myself once. Mine didn't work either but was traced to crappy soldering  :-DD

Typical Thandar!  :palm:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 04:34:56 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: THDplusN_bad, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119148 on: May 06, 2022, 04:51:37 pm »
Yeah, I had a few bad joints as well to reflow as well 2 legged transistors that seemed to have 3 legs but in the base had rotted away right beneath the body  |O Once I had made some extenders to remove the amplifier board of the way, I was able to gain access to so much more and eviscerated the little devils :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #119149 on: May 06, 2022, 05:03:15 pm »
"Just a quick spit-polish to get this FG504 ready to sell off".....  :-DD
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, bd139, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, srb1954, DH7DN

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf