Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16956404 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #119100 on: May 06, 2022, 01:11:39 am »
I’ve mentally cleansed myself from previous Tektronix repairs now so I am ready for another 4xx  :-DD

I am strictly purchasing old kit now. Old, mostly discrete and analogue or TTL etc where possible.
Scope out your old friends, the 546xxx family on fleaBay... I've seen quite a few in working condition going for very reasonable money ($100-150) lately. Buy it, just put it to work fixing what you wanna work on or fix something better and flip it.

Don't pull a Vince and pass on a 54621D for 50quid cuz "It sez Agilent (Yuckyputz!) and it has fugly knobs!"

mnem
*agitating-ily*  >:D

Well the Agilent*/Ailment logo can easily be removed, with that AVE box opening tool you showed earlier.  :-DD
And the knobs can probably be changed, just stop trying to bankrupt Vince.

*anagram of genital  :-DD

David

Now what kind of TEA friend would I be if I did THAT...?!?

mnem
Side note... I've had that $9.99 Horror Fraught grinder over 10 years now... and its brother for almost 20. :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #119101 on: May 06, 2022, 06:38:03 am »

Why do imagine you answering the door wearing this when her prom date arrives...?  :-DD

mnem
I shouldn't laugh... that'll be me in a few years...  :o

I don't get this. Now, I've only got sons, so am maybe desensitised, but isn't the solution to that threat scenario to make the young ones respect each other?  If they care for their friends (regardless whether boys or girls) they'll never destroy a date like so. Also, if the adult community could acknowledge the relation part and allow it to develop in safety, a lot would be won.  (I remember visiting a small town in KY some 30 years ago, it was a dry county with a baptist college, so narcotics and teenage pregnancies were very large problems, because no booze and no contraceptives...)

TE:  Held my presentation yesterday, and the 2465CTS played an important rôle, seen on several slides.

Missed buying a third 8060A, (am planning for one each to my sons) but if you wait long enough by the river, the bodies of your competitors are going to come floating past you..

Hopefully will pick the crapacitor-plagued TDS 520 up this weekend.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #119102 on: May 06, 2022, 06:50:31 am »

Why do imagine you answering the door wearing this when her prom date arrives...?  :-DD

mnem

I don't get this. Now, I've only got sons, so am maybe desensitised, but isn't the solution to that threat scenario to make the young ones respect each other?  If they care for their friends (regardless whether boys or girls) they'll never destroy a date like so. Also, if the adult community could acknowledge the relation part and allow it to develop in safety, a lot would be won.  (I remember visiting a small town in KY some 30 years ago, it was a dry county with a baptist college, so narcotics and teenage pregnancies were very large problems, because no booze and no contraceptives...)

TE:  Held my presentation yesterday, and the 2465CTS played an important rôle, seen on several slides.

Missed buying a third 8060A, (am planning for one each to my sons) but if you wait long enough by the river, the bodies of your competitors are going to come floating past you..

It is probably all about this special relationship between daughters and their fathers.
Nicley illustrated here:

;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #119103 on: May 06, 2022, 06:54:31 am »

Was that the 8060A on Ebay? If yes I almost went for it.

When it comes to "popular" stuff on Ebay we need to talk among ourselves to make sure we aren't beating each other up.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #119104 on: May 06, 2022, 06:59:38 am »

It is probably all about this special relationship between daughters and their fathers.
Nicley illustrated here:

;D

Too bad my daughter is cut from the same cloth as her mother.  ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #119105 on: May 06, 2022, 07:15:20 am »
Was that the 8060A on Ebay? If yes I almost went for it.

Nopes, local.

When it comes to "popular" stuff on Ebay we need to talk among ourselves to make sure we aren't beating each other up.  :-DD

I do believe this happens from time to time.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #119106 on: May 06, 2022, 08:33:17 am »

Feel free to rip out a copy of the firmware and send me a copy for my collection, and upload to Tekwiki! :)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #119107 on: May 06, 2022, 08:49:27 am »

Feel free to rip out a copy of the firmware and send me a copy for my collection, and upload to Tekwiki! :)

Is this an invitation to get an EEPROM reader/writer? Or do I need to start shopping for IEEE488 hardware?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119108 on: May 06, 2022, 09:04:38 am »

Is this an invitation to get an EEPROM reader/writer? Or do I need to start shopping for IEEE488 hardware?

GPIB + Tooling here: https://github.com/ragges/tektools

Yes I've been eyeing this up too  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #119109 on: May 06, 2022, 09:12:52 am »

NAWTS

TL866II Plus Programmer
https://www.ebay.de/itm/402325769684

I have its predecessor.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #119110 on: May 06, 2022, 09:39:35 am »

Just need a GPIB to USB adapter and you're set. Get on it son!  :-DD
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119111 on: May 06, 2022, 10:15:28 am »
Maybe with less foreign money swilling around the place now, maybe prices will become more stable.

It's difficult to see how "foreign money swilling around the place" has affected the housing market at the level that most of us experience it at. Sure, it's ripped the cap off the pricing on the ultra-high end, but a couple looking to buy their first family property were never looking for a luxury apartment in Knightsbridge. I think house pricing is going to stay just as volatile and over-heated as ever whilst people think of money put into property as an investment rather than as the cost of "somewhere to live". People nowadays have too much invested (in both senses) into the idea of their homes as a financial instrument to allow the housing market to return to sane pricing levels.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119112 on: May 06, 2022, 10:22:47 am »

mnem

Nicley illustrated here:

;D

It isn't just daughters, although I quite ready accept that the problem is most evident in the father<->daughter relationship. The only time that parents even begin to get an inkling that their children aren't children anymore is around about the time that they realise that a child is in fact (1) earning more than they ever did, and (2) has more responsibility then they ever did. So, generally sometime in the "child's" fourties, if ever.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #119113 on: May 06, 2022, 11:17:15 am »
My daughters aren't allowed to start dating untill their late 30's. That should solve most problems.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119114 on: May 06, 2022, 11:18:52 am »
Maybe with less foreign money swilling around the place now, maybe prices will become more stable.

It's difficult to see how "foreign money swilling around the place" has affected the housing market at the level that most of us experience it at. Sure, it's ripped the cap off the pricing on the ultra-high end, but a couple looking to buy their first family property were never looking for a luxury apartment in Knightsbridge. I think house pricing is going to stay just as volatile and over-heated as ever whilst people think of money put into property as an investment rather than as the cost of "somewhere to live". People nowadays have too much invested (in both senses) into the idea of their homes as a financial instrument to allow the housing market to return to sane pricing levels.

And that'll be because the housing market is the only thing that is a secure inflation beating investment. If they raise the base interest rate to shift investment strategies and punish mortgage owners then it'll improve things. But there's a shit show there because that decreases spending which is required to stop the entire economy collapsing now which is still shuffling around post-COVID. Oh and it'll price out the bottom end and cause defaults which increases risk and decreases overall security.

At this point it's sort of a giant seesaw with lord Cthulhu standing on the middle trying to stop people's arses from bashing the ground too hard while he's drinking from their skulls.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119115 on: May 06, 2022, 11:24:46 am »
It isn't just daughters, although I quite ready accept that the problem is most evident in the father<->daughter relationship. The only time that parents even begin to get an inkling that their children aren't children anymore is around about the time that they realise that a child is in fact (1) earning more than they ever did, and (2) has more responsibility then they ever did. So, generally sometime in the "child's" fourties, if ever.

I'm happy here. My eldest was born in her mid 30s. How many 18 year olds do you know who love spreadsheets and real ale?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119116 on: May 06, 2022, 12:57:27 pm »
Nicley illustrated here:

;D

It is nowhere as simple as that. Any dad who's ever actually changed a diaper knows... part of the imprinting cycle in male parents includes (right next to the "wrapped around her little finger" hardcoding for girls) a hardwired rage response towards the cause whenever his "little one" is sad for any reason.  >:(

Not being that kind of overprotective... the "balanced protectiveness" subroutine... is something that that is evidently part of that leg of the one X-chromosome which is broken off to make it a Y-chromosome. Yes, some moms have the same problem... but the "balanced protectiveness" thing seems to be something that almost never happens in males.  :-//

Every generation (well, every one that follows mother nature's core design; as with all things, there are some exceptions) comes to terms with the fact that in some part, they will always be the "little ones" to their parents... because as the parents age and grow and learn the lessons that come with every stage of life, they see their kids following and learning the same lessons they learned a decade or two later. If a parent actually pays any attention to their offspring this cycle never ends, right up to and including coming to terms with one's own mortality and preparing one's offspring for that last shared experience.

So yes... I can totally see myself having "the talk" with every suitor who comes to see my daughter... and it shall most likely include snapping a pic of the driver's license (she's never going out unsupervised with any boy who isn't at least that responsible and prepared for life) & it will most likely end with "...and if you make her cry, I WILL make YOU cry."

mnem
Life: It's a killer ride.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 01:19:23 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119117 on: May 06, 2022, 12:58:02 pm »

I'm happy here. My eldest was born in her mid 30s. How many 18 year olds do you know who love spreadsheets and real ale?

... and aren't male virgins headed off to Uni. to study Physics or Comp-Sci?   >:D

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119118 on: May 06, 2022, 12:58:51 pm »
HP8112A pulse gen. Not starting. Because...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119119 on: May 06, 2022, 01:01:31 pm »
So yes... I can totally see myself having "the talk" with every suitor who comes to see my daughter... and it shall most likely include snapping a pic of the driver's license (she's never going out unsupervised with any boy who isn't at least that responsible and prepared for life) & it will most likely end with "...and if you make her cry, I WILL make YOU cry."

I'm preparing a talk where I kindly explain I can do stuff with electricity no forensic scientist is ever going to figure out.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #119120 on: May 06, 2022, 01:07:29 pm »
I'm preparing a talk where I kindly explain I can do stuff with electricity no forensic scientist is ever going to figure out.
Will you be providing hand-outs?   >:D

Can I subscribe?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119121 on: May 06, 2022, 01:10:35 pm »
No, most likely live demonstrations...

mnem
"Great SICK minds think alike."

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119122 on: May 06, 2022, 01:14:27 pm »

Can I subscribe?

I know explaining yourself seems to be a staple for all Holleywood vilains. But no. Kinda defeats the purpose.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119123 on: May 06, 2022, 01:17:04 pm »

What are you gonna do if he makes her cry by breaking up with her? Go and try to give him a good kicking?

So, are you just posturing, or do you actually plan to a priori threaten lots of people who have done no wrong, and offered no evidence of being likely to do any wrong with physical violence? Not only is that the kind of behaviour that I'd hope you yourself would condemn, you'll also get laughed at because any suitor is going to be be able to run to the end of your drive before you've taken two steps, got out of breath, and gone 'Ooooo my back and knees!".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119124 on: May 06, 2022, 01:24:43 pm »
What are you gonna do if he makes her cry by breaking up with her? Go and try to give him a good kicking?

So, are you just posturing, or do you actually plan to a priori threaten lots of people who have done no wrong, and offered no evidence of being likely to do any wrong with physical violence? Not only is that the kind of behaviour that I'd hope you yourself would condemn, you'll also get laughed at because any suitor is going to be be able to run to the end of your drive before you've taken two steps, got out of breath, and gone 'Ooooo my back and knees!".
Old age and treachery, etc.   :-DD
Seriously, C... isn't that one of your prime directives...?  >:D

I mean really... why would you even try to talk common sense about something like this?
That's even more ridiculous than you suggest I'm being. :P

mnem
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 01:29:57 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf