Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16956419 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #119050 on: May 05, 2022, 01:32:55 pm »
Looking at a rather large 2 bed apartment with terrace / balcony overlooking the Thames at the moment. Floors are concrete so fine for boat anchors  :-DD

Cladding, and the desireability of such?
Exponentially increasing ground rents?
Maintenance cost determined by whom? (E.g. a builder in cahoots with the owner?)

No cladding. Newly built, first floor so getting a roll down ladder. As for rest, renting all fees included for 12-18 months so not my fecking problem  :-DD

Ah. Renting make sense for that kind of property - especially if you think the housing market will tank over the next few years.

But then I've been saying I don't see any reason why house prices will continue to rise. Since 2000.

Timing is everything, unfortunately.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #119051 on: May 05, 2022, 01:33:19 pm »
Well Vince, there's only one thing you can do now.

Find another piece of unloved test gear to restore and regale us with epic tales of your journey! :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119052 on: May 05, 2022, 01:34:08 pm »
That's all for this scope.... I am well pissed.

Well, you know how I made lemonade :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #119053 on: May 05, 2022, 01:59:06 pm »
...I find it much more fun (and cheaper ! >:D ) to do it the other way around and try to find meaning in your random number plate ! Like trying to see patterns in clouds in the sky when you are a kid...

For example I had a car with this one :

BL - 389 - MQ

BL = BLanc ("White" in French)
389 = Paint code for "glacier" white on old Renault cars from the mid/late '90s. Cars that I like and have always been  driving, and love that white.

So " BL 389 " was like "Renault 389 White".  8)

MQ = when you pronounce that, it sounds exactly the same as " Aime Cul ", which means "Loves Sex"  >:D

Another example on the car that replaced it. This one is very much electronics inspired ! >:D

BP - 552 - JK

BP = Bouton Poussoir  = French for " Push-Button ".

552 = at school I was taught micro-controllers and assembly language on the Intel 8051 family. In particular the development boards we had were using an (87C) 552 !
Was the top of the range 8051 variant back then, was so cool using it.

JK - Like the two inputs of a JK flip-flop of course ! >:D
Hmmm... I currently have one random plate number 000 SHUR, which alt meaning is pretty obvious. A previous plate though, was a little less amusing... DNR 0925.  Or... Do No Resuscitate and the min percentage of silver in Sterling (once upon a time, 0.925 was the standard for coin silver, IIRC) silver.

Make of that what you will...  :o

mnem
*unscrewing the inscrutable since nineteen mumblety-mumble*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #119054 on: May 05, 2022, 03:02:55 pm »
As mentioned vehicle license plates here in the US, except California, stay with the owner, not the vehicle. But every few years NYS DMV gets a bug up their arse and new plates are issued. And yes, you have to get a new one. The old plate you can nail to your garage wall. Is that service free? Surely you jest.  ::)

I don't know why 1973 - 1986 and 1986 - 2000 are shown twice. The base 2001 and 2010 are still valid. My Civic has a 2001 plate and the CR-V has a 2010 plate. There was supposed to be a mass turn-in and issue everyone a 2020 plate but someone with some brains realized it was wasteful and for now all are still valid. But any NEW issue is the 2020 plate. But DMV still wants to re-issue new plates to everyone because as the old plates get worn or damaged automated toll readers can't read them.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119055 on: May 05, 2022, 03:04:40 pm »
Ah. Renting make sense for that kind of property - especially if you think the housing market will tank over the next few years.

But then I've been saying I don't see any reason why house prices will continue to rise. Since 2000.

It's only short term due to some logistics things and the slightly latent post divorce financial control order shenanigans.

As for timing, yep. I missed an opportunity to buy a 1 bedroom flat back in the late 90s. However you don't always win. A friend of mine bought a flat in Chingford back in 1998 and despite the growth of value, her salary has been so shit that she had to pay interest only so has basically rented a house which she had to maintain for 24 years. Basically waiting for her parents to snuff it so she can afford to escape it.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #119056 on: May 05, 2022, 03:12:44 pm »

I drove all the way across the county once to get a free Harbor Freight DMM because everyone was talking about them. But I had to go there anyway since the cable ties were on sale for $1.99.

We have their stores around here, but Ive never found them so spectacular. The DMM deal is just to get you into the stores. Ive bought a fair amount of stuff from them but nothing really spectacular. Just generic tools. Various saws... A drill.. I'm glad they exist.  If I really need that kind of stuff.

Ebay and living in the US exposes one to opportunities to buy TE. We should figure out a way to utilize this better in education in some way. Any ideas?
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #119057 on: May 05, 2022, 03:15:42 pm »
Holy throwback Batman. Quoting something from 2017?  :o :D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119058 on: May 05, 2022, 03:18:23 pm »
Looking at a rather large 2 bed apartment with terrace / balcony overlooking the Thames at the moment. Floors are concrete so fine for boat anchors  :-DD

There's only two of us going to be in it (I'll get into that another day  :( )

With one daughter in residence you're going to have to make the hard choice between taking the big bedroom, with a tight turn to the bathroom, giving the daughter the faster straight run to the bathroom or vice-versa. A smaller bedroom for you with the possibility of occasionally beating her to the bathroom, or the larger bedroom but an almost effective denial of bathroom access for yourself? Decisions, decisions. Alternatively you could take the attitude that Tom Robinson once displayed, completely eschewing the prima donna attitude displayed by many a lesser artiste, when faced with the rather meagre artistes changing room facilities at our university: "OK, I guess that just means that I have to piss in the sink."
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119059 on: May 05, 2022, 03:21:48 pm »

It's only short term due to some logistics things and the slightly latent post divorce financial control order shenanigans.

Urgh!

As for timing, yep. I missed an opportunity to buy a 1 bedroom flat back in the late 90s. However you don't always win. A friend of mine bought a flat in Chingford back in 1998 and despite the growth of value, her salary has been so shit that she had to pay interest only so has basically rented a house which she had to maintain for 24 years. Basically waiting for her parents to snuff it so she can afford to escape it.

At least she's had the capital appreciation since then, which she wouldn't have had if she had rented.

My equivalent of your divorce settlement is being executor on my parents' house - which is in need of 300k repairs and which I have accidentally discovered was Grade II listed in 1994! So if I don't repair it I can be locked up.

My mother snuffed it just in time for my daughter!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119060 on: May 05, 2022, 03:25:13 pm »

I drove all the way across the county once to get a free Harbor Freight DMM because everyone was talking about them. But I had to go there anyway since the cable ties were on sale for $1.99.

We have their stores around here, but Ive never found them so spectacular. The DMM deal is just to get you into the stores. Ive bought a fair amount of stuff from them but nothing really spectacular. Just generic tools. Various saws... A drill.. I'm glad they exist.  If I really need that kind of stuff.

Ebay and living in the US exposes one to opportunities to buy TE. We should figure out a way to utilize this better in education in some way. Any ideas?

Read this before responding: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/russians-plunder-$5m-farm-vehicles-from-ukraine-to-find-theyve-been-remotel/msg4156643/#msg4156643

Dragons are already sensitised :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119061 on: May 05, 2022, 03:25:23 pm »

I think cdev is bored, this isn't the first thread that he's made a hugely retro post in over the last few days.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119062 on: May 05, 2022, 03:26:40 pm »
With one daughter in residence you're going to have to make the hard choice between taking the big bedroom, with a tight turn to the bathroom, giving the daughter the faster straight run to the bathroom or vice-versa. A smaller bedroom for you with the possibility of occasionally beating her to the bathroom, or the larger bedroom but an almost effective denial of bathroom access for yourself? Decisions, decisions. Alternatively you could take the attitude that Tom Robinson once displayed, completely eschewing the prima donna attitude displayed by many a lesser artiste, when faced with the rather meagre artistes changing room facilities at our university: "OK, I guess that just means that I have to piss in the sink."

Alternatively, remove the bathroom lock :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119063 on: May 05, 2022, 03:28:47 pm »

I think cdev is bored, this isn't the first thread that he's made a hugely retro post in over the last few days.

He's been spanked recently.

So, is he turning over a new leaf, or is he trying to continue in long-running active threads?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #119064 on: May 05, 2022, 03:29:23 pm »
Yup, wages for careers that dont need extensive education basically stopped rising in the 90s and may never rise again.  There are reasons this is the case. Deals were made with the intent of lowering wages, all around the world.

I was able to buy the house I am living in although I was renting at the time, I had a fairly sweet deal, even though the apartment had major issues, it was cheap, compared to what it likely costs now.Some time later it sold as a condo for more than a million dollars. Thats just nuts considering the building's lack of maintenance.
I feel sorry for whomever bought it at that price. It made me sick for years.

If they own her flat she should try to buy it from them. Otherwise the government might take it to pay them back for their social services in their final years. They can do it so they may. The lack of financial security is creating a brutal situation for the young, causing many families to put off having children. I sure am glad I dont have any. At least now. The lack of opportunities in many countries is Leaving an entire generation in a bad financial position. I am just trying to behave responsibly, I always eat at home and dont own a car. I save money on energy. Basically because my housing expenses are fairly modest, I spend very little money.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 03:32:52 pm by cdev »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119065 on: May 05, 2022, 03:30:02 pm »
At least she's had the capital appreciation since then, which she wouldn't have had if she had rented.

My equivalent of your divorce settlement is being executor on my parents' house - which is in need of 300k repairs and which I have accidentally discovered was Grade II listed in 1994! So if I don't repair it I can be locked up.

She doesn't unfortunately as she had to borrow against it to fix a hole in the roof about 15 years ago which wiped out all the capital appreciation.

Urgh also for you. My sympathies  :-\

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119066 on: May 05, 2022, 03:30:32 pm »
Alternatively, remove the bathroom lock :)

I think the passing of time may have desensitised you to "Teenage daughter has tantrum and then sulks for 14 days".  :)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #119067 on: May 05, 2022, 03:32:44 pm »
doing the 2 nd part of today's exercise, my 8.5 km walk.
stopped by my dealer to get my fix ...
8 TB enterprise HDD for the Nas
8 gb sodimm stick for the zbox
heavy thoroidal transy :) 220-> 2*12 @ 20A

As for the connector pack - yes, the connectors could be sourced somewhere else. if not from Ali then from one of the distributors. counting minimal order fees/ surcharges, etc I am not saving that much. As for datatec, the price for a connector from them is > 30€.Which is ridiculous.
so for not delivering what they advertized they want 15% of the module price to deliver the essential parts. which is triple the price Keysight is charging. yeah, right.
I currently don't have the time to do all that research and getting the connectors from somewhere else would still have had me looking for those jumpers that now come in a kit  The connector Peter sent does fit the module. however getting the original accessory package also has a certain appeal

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #119068 on: May 05, 2022, 03:33:24 pm »

Read this before responding: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/russians-plunder-$5m-farm-vehicles-from-ukraine-to-find-theyve-been-remotel/msg4156643/#msg4156643

You posted a dead link.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #119069 on: May 05, 2022, 03:36:16 pm »

She doesn't unfortunately as she had to borrow against it to fix a hole in the roof about 15 years ago which wiped out all the capital appreciation.

Urgh also for you. My sympathies  :-\

One really has to watch out when you hire a contractor. I hear stories like that a lot.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #119070 on: May 05, 2022, 03:42:11 pm »

As for the connector pack - yes, the connectors could be sourced somewhere else. if not from Ali then from one of the distributors. counting minimal order fees/ surcharges, etc I am not saving that much. As for datatec, the price for a connector from them is > 30€.Which is ridiculous.
so for not delivering what they advertized they want 15% of the module price to deliver the essential parts. which is triple the price Keysight is charging. yeah, right.
I currently don't have the time to do all that research and getting the connectors from somewhere else would still have had me looking for those jumpers that now come in a kit  The connector Peter sent does fit the module. however getting the original accessory package also has a certain appeal

And she comes to me to save the day and slice through the bullshit.  :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Saskia

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #119071 on: May 05, 2022, 03:56:14 pm »

Wow indeed, is that even possible to have space for TE, the closer to the city you go, the more expensive the property gets and also generally smaller and looks more like flatland with zero garden space.

Perish the thought!  ;D What's a proper English home without the obligatory English garden?

It will look like my apartment.  |O :-DD

I don't want a garden. Have to mow it and clean up the fox shit and that is time away from more important things.

There's only two of us going to be in it (I'll get into that another day  :( )

I see lots of space and opportunity for a decent TE workbench. Yes? No?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #119072 on: May 05, 2022, 04:05:43 pm »

And she comes to me to save the day and slice through the bullshit.  :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD

my hero ! :-*

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119073 on: May 05, 2022, 04:09:48 pm »
Well Vince, there's only one thing you can do now.

Find another piece of unloved test gear to restore and regale us with epic tales of your journey! :D

No worries, I am now switching back to the Rochar Nixie DVM  8)

I am just back from my local electronic shop to get a few BC557 B and C trannies, to replace the obsolete NS662, the input transistor of the diff pair of the comparator front-ends, that is my next suspect to explain the abnormally high zero offset reading... stay tuned  8)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 04:24:13 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, factory, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119074 on: May 05, 2022, 04:37:27 pm »

You posted a dead link.

Actually I didn't. SMF mangled what I posted, mutating half the text into a URL.

Unmangled...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/russians-plunder-$5m-farm-vehicles-from-ukraine-to-find-theyve-been-remotel/msg4156643/#msg4156643

I'm coming to believe that is relevant, somewhat reluctantly. Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 04:42:18 pm by tggzzz »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf