Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16943079 times)

dxl, aeug and 162 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #118975 on: May 04, 2022, 01:11:04 pm »
Something to distract from the regular autoshite discussion, a cheap & slightly tatty looking 54600A scope for approx $50 including shipping in the US, I saw it last night, but can't work out why it hasn't sold.  :-//

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304467178603         David

Probably because it's one of the low-spec models; 20 MSa/s vs 200 MSa/s or 1GSa/s, and only 400K depth vs 1Mb, 4Mb or 8Mb.

Essentially a digital-display analog scope at those parameters.  :P      

It's mine now, tho... at that price, it's a 54657A GPIB/Data Acquisition module for $60 that happens to come with a 54600A parts mule attached.  :-DD

https://xdevs.com/doc/HP_Agilent_Keysight/HP%2054657A%2C%2058A%2C%2059B%20User.pdf

Spank you... spank you vurry muuuuch!     

Hmmm... we'll see if UPS keeps its promises this go-round. No idea when I'll have time to eff widdit... I have a long Dumb Shit I Gotta Do list right now.  :o

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 12:22:45 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #118976 on: May 04, 2022, 01:28:46 pm »
TEA without bd139 was like a bald pretty lady without hairs.

Welcome back from an really really weird italian guy in USA.

EDIT: to avoid a mess....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 01:31:59 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118977 on: May 04, 2022, 01:34:13 pm »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 01:49:08 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #118978 on: May 04, 2022, 01:39:44 pm »
Approbiate for today's day:
https://imgur.com/gallery/1s7AX6y

:-DD  :-+

I'm obviously missing something but that weather forecast matches perfectly here today. Cool and rainy.     
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118979 on: May 04, 2022, 01:40:25 pm »

We had Lt Ilia stashed away here somewhere...?  ???  Not sure I'd trade her for bd139... much as I love the guy... ;)

mnem
 :o
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 01:47:30 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #118980 on: May 04, 2022, 01:40:48 pm »

But I cannot see bd139 in the picture ...

Edit:
mnem beat me to it.  :-DD
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 01:43:43 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #118981 on: May 04, 2022, 01:42:54 pm »

I'm obviously missing something but that weather forecast matches perfectly here today. Cool and rainy.   

Happy Star Wars Day to you, Papa Smurf! :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118982 on: May 04, 2022, 02:05:25 pm »

We had Lt Ilia stashed away here somewhere...?  ???  Not sure I'd trade her for bd139... much as I love the guy... ;)

mnem

I have slightly more hair than her. What’s not to love  ;)

Griefkit dispatched. Here we go  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118983 on: May 04, 2022, 02:08:13 pm »
Boring Mundane Everyday Print #307: Bed Leg Riser   

AutoDesk Online 3D Viewer

"Of course, I will find some good use for the reject part!" ;)

No successful project comes to term without something going wrong; in this case, I ignored one of the cardinal rules of enginerdery, and drew up my plans from memory, resulting in a design that was 5mm too effing big.    |O

Remember boizz and grrlzz... ALWAYS write down your measurements!

mnem
This PSA brought to you by angry pixies running down a wire.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 02:20:13 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118984 on: May 04, 2022, 02:18:19 pm »

mnem
I have slightly more hair than her. What’s not to love  ;)
Well, yeah... but grrl-fumes, man... they win every time.  :-DD

mnem
*not the first to fall prey to a well-swung tail*

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118985 on: May 04, 2022, 02:19:05 pm »
The local Timenuts probably already know this, but I stumbled across this article: https://pendulum-instruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Continuous-timestamping-article.pdf
Someone at "Pendulum Instruments AB" describing the development of frequency counting technology and how they and the one in the venerable CNT-90 work :popcorn:
Maybe a lingering of the original HP spirit that is left in the world, with companys handing out principal descriptions of their TE's inner workings  :clap:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, capt bullshot, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118986 on: May 04, 2022, 02:24:49 pm »
Time to give the old HP scope a much needed bath !

Pulled the CRT and all the tubes, and out in the back yard.
Took me a freaking hour to clean, still can't believe it.
I couldn't evrn get to all the nooks and crannies because of the way it's put together but.. I did my best. Detergent and rinsing water were under pressure so even though I could not get a brush in some tight places, at the least I could get some hot detergent under pressure everywhere, and rince properly. So all of the disgusting black stuff cooked everywhere, is now gone.
Proper cleaning would require removal of the CRT shield, mains transformer, all the filter can caps, trigger switch assembly, sweep swtich assembly, at the least. Not happening.

It's clean enough as it is. All the neon bulbs on the main board are'nt gooey black anymore... they are acutally clean clear glass, I was amazed... wiringharness much cleaner as well. Wires actually have colours now... incredible.

Looks much cleaner and pleasing to look at now.... presently drying in the sun with a slight breeze.

It probably will never work again now... but at least it will be clean now.

Stupid me, it has NEVER worked to begin with, so can't be worse ! :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #118987 on: May 04, 2022, 02:28:34 pm »
can one of our US colleagues grab https://www.ebay.com/itm/333567035126 for me and put it into an envelope ?

Would be highly appreciated.
Would take 2 of those.

details via pm

Thnx

You should be able to get compatible connectors and jumpers from Reichelt. It's just a variation of the common green "Phoenix-Stecker".
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #118988 on: May 04, 2022, 03:45:56 pm »
The California system seems foreign to me as it's the opposite of what I'm used to, and I seem to recall hearing stories of people out there who have sold cars there and the new owners never completed the paperwork and drove like idiots.  The DMV still associates the plate with the previous owner, so they come looking for them rather than the new owner who's screwing up.  I prefer the system where the plate stays with the owner; prevents such shenanigans.  You folks across the pond likely prefer yours as it's what you're used to. 

-Pat

In Frogland it's like that too, however there is not much of a problem : when you buy the vehicle, both parties sign a document formalizing the change of hands. Document states that this day, at this hours, ownership has been transferred from X to Y. So if the new owner does silly things and they come for you instead, well you can just show your paperwork and say sorry I sold the car 2 hours ago it's not my problem anymore, you need to go after THAT guy, here is his name...have a good day !
We do that paperwork here as well.  The risk is that the paper gets signed, and the NEW owner of the car takes the paperwork to the Ministry of Transport office to do the registration.  If the new owner does not follow through, then the Ministry still thinks the previous owner is on the hook...

Yes, also in the GWN.  Plates remain with the person, not the car.

Does not matter, as they always say that the plates are too rusty and provide the "service" of forcing you to buy new plates...

That's strange !  :o  Here if your plate is damaged or you just want / need another one for whatever reason (say you bought a car with cheap crap plastic plate and you want a nice stamped aluminium one... or you want an extra plate so you can fit it to your trailer), well you just go to any auto parts store, show the car's paper work to prove you are the owner, then choose the style of plate that you want and 5 minutes later the guy gives you your new plates  :-//

Vanity plates : no such thing here, and I find it silly to waste lots of money on these, but well to each their own I guess.
Instead, I find it much more fun (and cheaper ! >:D ) to do it the other way around and try to find meaning in your random number plate ! Like trying to see patterns in clouds in the sky when you are a kid...

In the GWN, plates can only be acquired at the Ministry of Transport office (provincial, not federal).  Last time I checked, regular random plates were a bit less than $200.  That office runs a monopoly, so charging for plates is a source of revenue.

A trailer is considered to be a separate vehicle and gets its own plate number.  In Ontario, I used to be able to switch the trailer plate between trailers.  Now that I am in Quebec, I need a different plate for each trailer.

Our plates used to be aluminum, stamped and then painted with a metalic somewhat reflective paint.
The new plates are still aluminum, but are no longer stamped and only painted with a paint that peels off in 2-3 years.  :palm:
The authorities were not concerned with not being able to identify the vehicle for traffic act safety matters, but only concerned about the fraud matters that toll cameras could not automatically invoice the vehicle owner.  :horse:

For example I had a car with this one :

BL - 389 - MQ

BL = BLanc ("White" in French)
389 = Paint code for "glacier" white on old Renault cars from the mid/late '90s. Cars that I like and have always been  driving, and love that white.

So " BL 389 " was like "Renault 389 White".  8)

MQ = when you pronounce that, it sounds exactly the same as " Aime Cul ", which means "Loves Sex"  >:D

Another example on the car that replaced it. This one is very much electronics inspired ! >:D

BP - 552 - JK

BP = Bouton Poussoir  = French for " Push-Button ".

552 = at school I was taught micro-controllers and assembly language on the Intel 8051 family. In particular the development boards we had were using an (87C) 552 !
Was the top of the range 8051 variant back then, was so cool using it.

JK - Like the two inputs of a JK flip-flop of course ! >:D

I would rather not say what my imagination can come up with for my random license plates ...  :-[

Here, specialty plates are not necessarily vanity plates.  There is no fee to get your amateur radio license put on your license plate.  A true vanity plate will cost several hundreds of dollars.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #118989 on: May 04, 2022, 03:49:03 pm »
The local Timenuts probably already know this, but I stumbled across this article: https://pendulum-instruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Continuous-timestamping-article.pdf
Someone at "Pendulum Instruments AB" describing the development of frequency counting technology and how they and the one in the venerable CNT-90 work :popcorn:
Maybe a lingering of the original HP spirit that is left in the world, with companys handing out principal descriptions of their TE's inner workings  :clap:

Pendulum is what remains of the TE part of Philips Teleindustrier AB in Järfälla, later Fluke, (the T&M alliance times) so there's a lineage to the Philips counters of yore.  The rest of Philips Teleindustrier in Sweden is now SAAB, and they make defence electronics, mostly integrated battle management systems for naval use, like for submarines (the actual Kvikkalkul application, even though rumour has it they write in Ada. ) .

Online Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #118990 on: May 04, 2022, 04:13:05 pm »
Remember boizz and grrlzz... ALWAYS write down your measurements!

mnem
This PSA brought to you by angry pixies running down a wire.
The proper procedure:
1. Measure it with a micrometer
2. Mark it with a chalk
3. Cut it with an axe
 :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #118991 on: May 04, 2022, 04:49:02 pm »

Happy Star Wars Day to you, Papa Smurf! :D

Oh OK. I guess the force ain't with me.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #118992 on: May 04, 2022, 04:51:01 pm »
Ok I bought something already. It's cheap, it's shit, but it has LEDs and runs off 12V DC and has no unobtainium parts but it's Griefkit and I felt sorry for it :scared:. But has tinker value and can totalise...

I've an Agilent U1604A with a dead front end if you get bored...   :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #118993 on: May 04, 2022, 04:59:48 pm »

can one of our US colleagues grab https://www.ebay.com/itm/333567035126 for me and put it into an envelope ?

Would be highly appreciated. Would take 2 of those. details via pm

Thnx

Hmmm... Since we recently discussed the generic versions of this connector, I'm guessing maybe you're looking at this kit primarily for the jumpers?  ???

If so, they look suspiciously like ATM or ATR series fuses to me. Might be less assache/expense to source locally (or borrow one from your vehicle for size trial) than ordering these from the US. :-//

mnem

I know  in general, the green connector I got from Peter fits, but cannot be secured  die to lack of terminals. The sense jumpers are just a piece of metal.
Datatec is behaving like a prick. they refuse to send me those bits which they did not declare as missing when I bought that bloody PSU module. I could of course say that this was not as advertised,but doing so would cut me off from my only source of spares. nevertheless I very much want a complete kit, and this seller does not send overseas.
I know I can improvise, otoh it's not worth the hassle if the original part is easily available.
which is why I am asking ...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #118994 on: May 04, 2022, 05:02:51 pm »
Ok I bought something already. It's cheap, it's shit, but it has LEDs and runs off 12V DC and has no unobtainium parts but it's Griefkit and I felt sorry for it :scared:. But has tinker value and can totalise...

Or perhaps a dead Tek 465?  >:D
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #118995 on: May 04, 2022, 05:05:16 pm »

Would be highly appreciated. Would take 2 of those. details via pm

Thnx

Hmmm... Since we recently discussed the generic versions of this connector, I'm guessing maybe you're looking at this kit primarily for the jumpers?  ???

If so, they look suspiciously like ATM or ATR series fuses to me. Might be less assache/expense to source locally (or borrow one from your vehicle for size trial) than ordering these from the US. :-//

mnem

I know  in general, the green connector I got from Peter fits, but cannot be secured  die to lack of terminals. The sense jumpers are just a piece of metal.
Datatec is behaving like a prick. they refuse to send me those bits which they did not declare as missing when I bought that bloody PSU module. I could of course say that this was not as advertised,but doing so would cut me off from my only source of spares. nevertheless I very much want a complete kit, and this seller does not send overseas.
I know I can improvise, otoh it's not worth the hassle if the original part is easily available.
which is why I am asking ...

Well if you want those connectors and are willing to pay the additional shipping to Deutschland (about $20 USD) then send me a PM and we'll get the order in.   :-+

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #118996 on: May 04, 2022, 05:13:37 pm »

Or perhaps a dead Tek 465?  >:D

I've got a dead (power supply short somewhere) 5440 that we can debug in unison :-)

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #118997 on: May 04, 2022, 05:17:29 pm »

Pendulum is what remains of the TE part of Philips Teleindustrier AB in Järfälla, later Fluke, (the T&M alliance times) so there's a lineage to the Philips counters of yore.  The rest of Philips Teleindustrier in Sweden is now SAAB, and they make defence electronics, mostly integrated battle management systems for naval use, like for submarines (the actual Kvikkalkul application, even though rumour has it they write in Ada. ) .

And (supposed I don't mix up things) a shoulder weapon called "Carl Gustaf". The Swedish variation of "Panzerfaust".

« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 05:22:35 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #118998 on: May 04, 2022, 05:24:54 pm »

Well if you want those connectors and are willing to pay the additional shipping to Deutschland (about $20 USD) then send me a PM and we'll get the order in.   :-+

The connectors are a pretty standard Phoenix Contact part, can't see why you wouldn't find them in Germany, same for the fuses. The only thing to bear in mind with the Phoenix Contact offerings is to make sure you measure the pitch correctly; 5.00mm looks very much like 5.08mm...

EDIT: If RS do them, can't imagine Reichelt or whoever not stocking them.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 05:27:37 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #118999 on: May 04, 2022, 05:58:28 pm »

The connectors are a pretty standard Phoenix Contact part, can't see why you wouldn't find them in Germany, same for the fuses. The only thing to bear in mind with the Phoenix Contact offerings is to make sure you measure the pitch correctly; 5.00mm looks very much like 5.08mm...

EDIT: If RS do them, can't imagine Reichelt or whoever not stocking them.

Too late. Me and the Lady have already hooked up and the order is in and in route to me for repackaging and shipment across the pond.

We don't kid around.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, cyclin_al, Saskia

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf