Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16949504 times)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #118900 on: May 03, 2022, 05:26:02 pm »
Welcome back!

I second that sentiment.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #118901 on: May 03, 2022, 05:27:55 pm »
Good morning, evening, afternoon or whatever the hell it is where you are. Decided my mid-life-crisis is now thoroughly over so back to the TEA thread and TE it is, my true home on this planet.

On the journey of self-discovery and self-enlightenment I discovered many things, all of which you know anyway I'm sure:

1. People are really really weird.
2. Some of them are incredibly stupid.
3. Even more are maliciously incompetent.
4. Alcohol is really really bad for you in large quantities but terribly fun  ;)

However got some time to catch up with the kids, improve fitness, clean up some personal traumas and messes, shelf old ideas, reconnect with old friends and find new friends too, the latter two of which I'm now going to ignore and doom scroll through ebay 24/7 and shitpost on here :-DD

Currently still working on moving house (it's been 3 fucking years now on this treadmill) so involvement will be small and not boat anchor sized for a bit. Excuse my lack of trying to catch up with the thread because quite frankly I'd be dead by the time I managed to read back to my last post and work out what the hell is going on.

Anyway, hello again :)
Welcome back to hell, old man!  :-DD

We'll gladly enable you as we've done all along; hope you get your next fix soon. Also hope you've found some peace on the MCP front, or at least the good kind of misery. ;)

mnem
Also, I'm 40lbs/4inches girth less dwagon since the GWN.  ;D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #118902 on: May 03, 2022, 05:30:44 pm »
More re-cap work on the Type 547. This time re-cap three section can C709A/B/C. Originals were 10uf/450V, 10uf/350V, and 20uf/250V. The only change was the 20uf upgraded to 22uf/250V. This can is located on the upper sweep chassis inverted and almost totally inaccessible. But the terminal side is accessible from the upper side of the sweep chassis. Intention is to leave the can in place.

It's a tight squeeze to get in there and keep everything properly sorted. Everything was going well until the tried to mount the terminal strip for the new capacitors. The grounding screw that I was going to use to secure the terminal strip would not loosen. And could not get in there with a pair of vise grips to persuade it out. I had to resort to a quick bodge which I hate but had no choice. I arranged the three caps into a triad and secured them together with kapton tape. Then that unit was secured to the chassis with 3M automotive grade double-sided tape. Yep, a totally shitty bodge. It looks crappy but it is indeed secure. There is no danger of anything coming loose and causing a short even if the double-sided tape gives out.

And there's no smoke. Scope powered up fine with no issues. There are 9 more capacitors to be done but in order to get to them now the scope will have to be flipped on it's side. And none of the original cans will remain in place. They will have to be removed to give space for the new caps. 

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118903 on: May 03, 2022, 05:33:15 pm »
Wow BD is back ?!  :o

Hello English cousin.

Glad that you are moving... I mean, no more elderly listening to the TV full blast at night anymore... and I hope, (a bit at least) more SPACE ... hopefully a room you can devote to a lab ?!

Still near the airport or have you moved to the country side with cows and sheep ?!  >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #118904 on: May 03, 2022, 05:34:57 pm »
Good morning, evening, afternoon or whatever the hell it is where you are. Decided my mid-life-crisis is now thoroughly over so back to the TEA thread and TE it is, my true home on this planet.

On the journey of self-discovery and self-enlightenment I discovered many things, all of which you know anyway I'm sure:

4. Alcohol is really really bad for you in large quantities but terribly fun  ;)

However got some time to catch up with the kids, improve fitness, clean up some personal traumas and messes, shelf old ideas, reconnect with old friends and find new friends too, the latter two of which I'm now going to ignore and doom scroll through ebay 24/7 and shitpost on here :-DD

Currently still working on moving house (it's been 3 fucking years now on this treadmill) so involvement will be small and not boat anchor sized for a bit. Excuse my lack of trying to catch up with the thread because quite frankly I'd be dead by the time I managed to read back to my last post and work out what the hell is going on.

Who are you? Oh yea, now I remember.  :-DD

WELCOME BACK.  :-+ :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118905 on: May 03, 2022, 05:42:01 pm »

Thank god for that. The necessary input to this thread of innuendo requiring the knowledge of fringe and arcane sexual practices has been sorely lacking with me as the only suitably qualified commentator. A weight off my shoulders. Welcome back.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118906 on: May 03, 2022, 06:00:28 pm »
Sorry, C... I still have too much ass to carry off fishnets with a tux, so I'll have to let you carry that mantle for the foreseeable future.  :-DD

mnem
Maybe somewhen in the days to come... but not right now. ;)

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118907 on: May 03, 2022, 06:11:39 pm »

More re-cap work on the Type 547.   
(SNIP)
Yep, a totally shitty bodge. It looks crappy but it is indeed secure. There is no danger of anything coming loose and causing a short even if the double-sided tape gives out...

mnem
*toddles off to nuke a workbench*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #118908 on: May 03, 2022, 06:17:42 pm »

Oh! There's a pleasant surprise. Welcome back!

Fortunately I seem to have avoided maliciously incompetent people.

Always worth reconnecting with the sprockets.

Where do you think you will move to? Somewhere with trees and contours, or somewhere with lots of sky. The former is necessary for my sanity, as 6years on the edge of the Fens taught me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 06:19:32 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118909 on: May 03, 2022, 06:38:13 pm »
Welcome back to hell, old man!  :-DD

We'll gladly enable you as we've done all along; hope you get your next fix soon. Also hope you've found some peace on the MCP front, or at least the good kind of misery. ;)

mnem
Also, I'm 40lbs/4inches girth less dwagon since the GWN.  ;D

I do not need enabling - I am a professional I'll have you know  :-DD As for misery, only the poorly thought out form of misery found on the likes of Tinder  :palm:

Congrats on the 40lb. I have gained 3lb this week. May need some laxido  :-DD

Who are you? Oh yea, now I remember.  :-DD

A slightly less refined clone of the previous bd139  >:D

Thank god for that. The necessary input to this thread of innuendo requiring the knowledge of fringe and arcane sexual practices has been sorely lacking with me as the only suitably qualified commentator. A weight off my shoulders. Welcome back.

Talking of which, I have learned on my travels that indeed suction cup dildos work on bald heads  :popcorn:.

(not as interesting as it sounds finding that out, resulting in frowns and tutting mostly and having to explain to lots of people why there was a red circle on my head for about two days)

Where do you think you will move to? Somewhere with trees and contours, or somewhere with lots of sky. The former is necessary for my sanity, as 6years on the edge of the Fens taught me.

Alas no trees, contours or sky. Merely closer to the centre of the gravity well of London. The eldest is off to university this year so I figured cutting transport costs would be a winner there for her as she's city-bound. So it'll be a trendy riverside apartment most likely covered in seagull and pigeon shit but close enough to the pubs to drown sorrows.

Anyway, off to ebay to recreate all the searches I killed  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #118910 on: May 03, 2022, 07:02:26 pm »
Welcome back, bd139!  ;D
Glad to see you here again.  :-+

- archive photo -

>:D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #118911 on: May 03, 2022, 07:05:16 pm »

Alas no trees, contours or sky. Merely closer to the centre of the gravity well of London. The eldest is off to university this year so I figured cutting transport costs would be a winner there for her as she's city-bound. So it'll be a trendy riverside apartment most likely covered in seagull and pigeon shit but close enough to the pubs to drown sorrows.

Anyway, off to ebay to recreate all the searches I killed  :-DD

Oh bugger; more competition :(

I was dragged up on this very edge of London, only a few hundred yards from large common lands and iron pillars marking the edge of a London tax boundary. I decided that there were two tolerable options to lived ng in London: right on the edge or right in the centre. In the middle would be intolerable.

My sproglet went to a university where she couldn't stay at home; I made the same decision. Now she says that having to come back to live with me is one of her worst fears; nonetheless we seem to be visiting each other weekly at the moment. I'll probably see her next after the Barry hamfest!

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #118912 on: May 03, 2022, 07:15:29 pm »
Foam Fun!

EDIT: hoozah! for factory!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 07:56:51 pm by Ice-Tea »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118913 on: May 03, 2022, 07:15:43 pm »
WHAAAAT ?!  :palm:

Just done watching the evening news on TV, well, I don't have a TV but it's streamed live from their website so not much difference.

They say that starting this summer, Europe is imposing on every new car sold, the fitment of flight driving data recorder ! Big Brother is watching you... FOR REAL !!  :scared:

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

As always they say it's for your "safety" ! Said it will record only the last 30 seconds prior to an accident, and 10 seconds after that. Parameters recorded are speed, acceleration, engine RPM, use of the blinker, and G force of the impact. No voice recording nor GPS data... for now... but now that the Pandora box has been opened, sure enough they will fill it with more and more data as years pass...

They also say that this thing is already installed in cars in the US, since 2014, and that it saved many lives ?!

Not that I care too much since the way things are going I soon won't be able to run a car at all anymore, hence won't be able to go to work, so that's going to be soon a rich people's problem, not mine anymore.

I am usually not the one to start off-topic stuff, but well I didn't know it was coming, so was truly shocked to hear that, I had to vent sorry... plus, of course this recorder is an electronic box so it is relevant here after all ! >:D

I just wish they didn't waste scarce electronic components to build yet another freaking electronic computer into freaking cars, and instead manufactured more caps so I can find the freaking caps I need to fix my TE !!!! :horse:

That was all  :popcorn:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 07:19:54 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118914 on: May 03, 2022, 07:22:19 pm »

Welcome back BD, you forgot item 5,

5. Dragged the Nikon out again and got photography practise in.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #118915 on: May 03, 2022, 07:23:57 pm »
Tempting but I think $95 USD is a bit much. Heath's answer to the fancy hp AC voltmeters. A quick check of the specs states an accuracy of 4% full scale. Doesn't sound very impressive to me. How does that stack up against the hp's?

Since I've got a hollow-state 400H, not the later 3400H which would be a closer technical match, I'm selecting that for comparison.  The Heath does stretch to 2MHz, whereas the 400H manages 4MHz. Accuracy for the Heath is 4% at 1KHz; the 400H is 1% from 50Hz to 500KHz; only at the full frequency range does it allow itself to sway to 4% precision. I prefer my room heater  :-DD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #118916 on: May 03, 2022, 07:28:00 pm »

I still have a 427A and you don't. Or do you?

:-DD

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #118917 on: May 03, 2022, 07:28:49 pm »
Foam Fun!

https://youtube.com/shorts/xOTbXFw-jrY?feature=share

EDIT: can't for the life of me figure out how to embed videos.  |O

I just copy and paste the YouTube link directly into the message - don't use the URL tags or anything.  It will just show as the text in the preview, but the video window comes up when the message is posted.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xOTbXFw-jrY

-Pat

Edit to add - it's making a liar out of me.  Just pasting the link USUALLY works...   :rant: :rant:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 07:31:15 pm by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118918 on: May 03, 2022, 07:29:02 pm »
Foam Fun!

It's automatic as soon as you surround the link with the URL tags.

However I tried and it does not work with your particular video... it's probably something to do with this funky " Tik-Tok " style video. Might not be supported...

Nice packing though. I do wonder however how does one manage to make the second bad just the right size/volume, ie with spot on the correct amount of foam in it... so that the box can tehn close, not have any empty space at the top, and zero foam sticking out, so the box can be closed easily ??!  :-//
Or maybe you use smaller bags at the top ? You adjust volume by adding more bags until the box is filled to the top ?!  :-//

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118919 on: May 03, 2022, 07:30:16 pm »
Foam Fun!

I just copy and paste the YouTube link directly into the message - don't use the URL tags or anything.  It will just show as the text in the preview, but the video window comes up when the message is posted.

-Pat

Yup, that's the second link. Maybe because I set visibility to "those who have link only" or something  :-//

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118920 on: May 03, 2022, 07:35:33 pm »
Also, looks like the bottom right corner has NO foam or what ?! It didn't spread there it seems, and you didn't help it by hand either... so not much protection in that corner !  :scared:

I want my money back !  :horse:

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118921 on: May 03, 2022, 07:37:56 pm »
Also, looks like the bottom right corner has NO foam or what ?! It didn't spread there it seems, and you didn't help it by hand either... so not much protection in that corner !  :scared:

I want my money back !  :horse:

Oh, you're that guy  ::)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118922 on: May 03, 2022, 07:40:27 pm »
Well the point of the foam is to protect what's in it no ?!  :-DD

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118923 on: May 03, 2022, 07:41:46 pm »
For humanity list #2
I seem to have a constant digesting problem with the idea that IQ of every other is below average.

For driving Vince I say that mark my words.
Before long the GPS is there and taxman is watching.
And chimneys have rose filters, if allowed at all.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118924 on: May 03, 2022, 07:42:02 pm »
They say that starting this summer, Europe is imposing on every new car sold, the fitment of flight driving data recorder ! Big Brother is watching you... FOR REAL !!  :scared:

Don't even get me started on this. I was planning my first insane rant to be at least a couple of days off but lets go with this one. I'm actually getting rid of my car in the next couple of months because they are becoming more and more difficult to justify keeping. With the extreme capital cost of a new vehicle, complexity, fuel cost and absolutely terrible treatment, the trade off is becoming untenable. Looking at the prices of EVs as well and all the logistical problems associated with them which aren't showing any signs of any real solutions other than death marching into the future through insane marketing, it's a rancid shit show. So if the EU wants to come and install surveillance kit into vehicles, which in the short term is bad enough but opens the doors to even worse things which they are getting a reputation for coming up with, then they can bugger right off. I'll get something with two wheels and pedals and fuck 'em.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf