Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18118068 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #118400 on: April 26, 2022, 04:06:18 pm »
To be sincere if all were available in eBook it would be even better, then I could convert it to PDF and print it, having a copy I can carry and use without bothering if I'm going to damage it while having the originals in digital.
The pdf of AoE3 is available at archive.org.   I  don't know how it got there, but Win Hill did put a copy on a server in 2017 :)

Also both editions of Art/Science of Analog Circuit Design; the book Jim Williams refused to write... twice. ;)

https://archive.org/search.php?query=analog%20circuit%20design

mnem
"MIT Building 20 at 3:00 A.M.
 Tek 547, pizza, breadboard.
 That's Education."                  ~J. Williams, A&SoACD
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 04:25:54 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince, factory, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118401 on: April 26, 2022, 04:23:46 pm »
I'm the epitome of an absolute beginner so I don't need more than a Siglent SDS104X-U, GW Instek 1054B or Rigol DS1054Z. I'm close to pulling the trigger but it's hard to justify for various reasons of inflation and other expenses. I also don't have any room for it, otherwise I'd be cracking open my wallet faster than you can say fast fourier transform.

OK so that answers most of my previous questions !

So it's digital only, modern, Chinese, LCD, colour, and less than 500 Euros with tax.

From your list, the Siglent is by far my favorite. 100MHz instead of 50 for the Rigol. Siglent also looks like a proper tool/scope, the Rigol looks like a Playschool toy for a 5 year old that watches too many Japanese manga on TV.

Out of your list, to me the Siglent is a no brainer.

Actually that Siglent kinda meets my requirements too....might be tempted, in a few years once they sell the 200MHz version of this, for the same price.
I see they have improved the industrial design, out with the ugly chromed knobs. It now looks like... pretty much a Tek.
Still need some minor work on that column of oval push buttons on the right side of the screen, looks off.. too Agilent/Keysight like, in a bad way I mean...

With the correct "riglol" code entered into the Rigol, that 50 goes to 100, although some have tested the actual bandwidth closer to 130 MHz...
Yeah, Vince can be a bit dismissive of the budget Asian gear; I think that's because he never bothered to do the deep dive and learn which ones are good bang/buck. I caught my 1054Zed for $300 NIB w/warranty from tequipment.net; they happily  price-matched a sale price from Arrow for me. I've had it for over 5 years now, and it doesn't owe me a cent, as the project I bought it for helped me get my family out of Tejas.

Nowadays the UI is def a bit long in the tooth, and slow almost to being unusable... but I'd still say if a noob could pick one up for 100-150 bux it would def be good enuf for self-education, particularly if you unlock the 100MHz and decoder options. After that, onto the back bench as a "minion" scope to use when you wanna do sumtin' stoopit and don't wanna risk a good scope.

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al, YurkshireLad

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118402 on: April 26, 2022, 04:30:13 pm »
I'm the epitome of an absolute beginner so I don't need more than a Siglent SDS104X-U, GW Instek 1054B or Rigol DS1054Z. I'm close to pulling the trigger but it's hard to justify for various reasons of inflation and other expenses. I also don't have any room for it, otherwise I'd be cracking open my wallet faster than you can say fast fourier transform.

So it's digital only, modern, Chinese, LCD, colour, and less than 500 Euros with tax.

From your list, the Siglent is by far my favorite. 100MHz instead of 50 for the Rigol. Siglent also looks like a proper tool/scope, the Rigol looks like a Playschool toy for a 5 year old that watches too many Japanese manga on TV.

Actually that Siglent kinda meets my requirements too....might be tempted, in a few years once they sell the 200MHz version of this, for the same price.
I see they have improved the industrial design, out with the ugly chromed knobs. It now looks like... pretty much a Tek.
Still need some minor work on that column of oval push buttons on the right side of the screen, looks off.. too Agilent/Keysight like, in a bad way I mean...

With the correct "riglol" code entered into the Rigol, that 50 goes to 100, although some have tested the actual bandwidth closer to 130 MHz...

Yeah, Vince can be a bit dismissive of the budget Asian gear; I think that's because he never bothered to do the deep dive and learn which ones are good bang/buck. I caught my 1054Zed for $300 NIB w/warranty from tequipment.net; they happily  price-matched a sale price from Arrow for me. I've had it for over 5 years now, and it doesn't owe me a cent, as the project I bought it for helped me get my family out of Tejas.

Nowadays the UI is def a bit long in the tooth, and slow almost to being unusable... but I'd still say if a noob could pick one up for 100-150 bux it would def be good enuf for self-education, particularly if you unlock the 100MHz and decoder options. After that, onto the back bench as a "minion" scope to use when you wanna do sumtin' stoopit and don't wanna risk a good scope.

mnem

Did you even bother reading the messages I wrote about Siglent ?  :palm:

No, you just unfold your narrative again, without even reading anything I say. If you say that you did read them, you are either lying or don't know how to read.. I am totally speechless  :palm:

Never mind, we are used to your way of doing things, not surprised in the slightest....  ::)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 04:35:48 pm by Vince »

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118403 on: April 26, 2022, 04:34:28 pm »

mnem

That's a fair comment. It's impossible to buy a used, cheap DS1054Z here in Canada. The Siglent SD104X-U is probably top of my list, as people tend to say the Rigol has had its day and its UI is too slow. Both are about the same price, but if I could get the Rigol at a good discount it would definitely suffice.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #118404 on: April 26, 2022, 04:55:21 pm »

That's a fair comment. It's impossible to buy a used, cheap DS1054Z here in Canada. The Siglent SD104X-U is probably top of my list, as people tend to say the Rigol has had its day and its UI is too slow. Both are about the same price, but if I could get the Rigol at a good discount it would definitely suffice.

For what it's worth. I bought a Rigol 5.5 digit DMM and it was dead right out the box. Kinda soured me to Rigol. Returned it and bought Siglent SDM 3055 5.5 digit DMM instead. Just recently had it professionally calibrated after 3 years and all parameters were in spec. Plus we have that crazy Kiwi (tautech) to provide assistance if needed.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #118405 on: April 26, 2022, 04:56:21 pm »
I've been putting off buying a bench oscilloscope, but I was trying to debug a circuit and I really needed to simultaneously monitor 2-4 points. I managed with my single channel toy and eventually worked out that the breadboard was bowed in the middle and any connections were untrustworthy at best. I need therapy.

Welcome!  I was recently like you when I arrived here.  I have never left.

When I arrived, I had 1 DMM and a brand new DSO.
Now I have 7 DMMs, Arbitrary Waveform Generator, Spectrum Analyser, Vector Network Analyser and even an old tube analogue oscilloscope... and always looking for more.  See, the therapy really does work!
Only 7 DMMs, slacker, pull your finger out will ya  :-DD :-DD

7 DMM's? Pffft.

I'm 20 scopes deep in this crap... Somebody pleasehelpmeeeeee!!!  :-DD
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #118406 on: April 26, 2022, 04:57:54 pm »
I've been putting off buying a bench oscilloscope, but I was trying to debug a circuit and I really needed to simultaneously monitor 2-4 points. I managed with my single channel toy and eventually worked out that the breadboard was bowed in the middle and any connections were untrustworthy at best. I need therapy.

Now I have 7 DMMs, Arbitrary Waveform Generator, Spectrum Analyser, Vector Network Analyser and even an old tube analogue oscilloscope... and always looking for more.  See, the therapy really does work!

7 DMM's? Pffft.

Don't get me started. I need more than my 10 fingers and 10 toes to count it all.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118407 on: April 26, 2022, 04:58:27 pm »

7 DMM's? Pffft.

20 scopes? There's no intervention that can help you with that!

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118408 on: April 26, 2022, 04:58:39 pm »
Only 20 scopes ?!  35 and counting here...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118409 on: April 26, 2022, 04:59:42 pm »
Only 20 scopes ?!  35 and counting here...

Wow! I feel guilty at the thought of spending money to buy just one.

Do you turn them all off and on one button press at a time?

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #118410 on: April 26, 2022, 05:00:18 pm »

7 DMM's? Pffft.

Luckily I don't have space for 20 scopes, so I only have 15 or so... lost count of DMMs though...

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #118411 on: April 26, 2022, 05:05:30 pm »
Oh, don't forget the 40+ TM500 modules, and allll the rest of the gear... :D

One day I'll do a stocktake but I'm scared of how long the list will be.......... I gotta sell like half of it (to fund more purchases of more gear of course!)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 05:07:31 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #118412 on: April 26, 2022, 05:07:50 pm »

20 scopes? There's no intervention that can help you with that!

One 2465 DMS
One 2465
One 2430
One 465B/DM44
One 465B
One 475A
Two 485
One OS-245(P)/U
One 7904
One Type 535A
One Type 561B
One Type 310A
One Type 503
One Type 321A
One Type 422
Three Type 547
One Type 454
One 212
One Siglent SDS 1052L
One B&K 2120

That makes 23 total. Plus numerous 500 series, 560 series, and 7000 series plug-in's.

Wanna know the DMM count too?  :-//

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #118413 on: April 26, 2022, 05:26:07 pm »

7 DMM's? Pffft.

That's all?!?  I think I have four or five of them in my KITCHEN.  I'm afraid to count them all through the house...   :o

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #118414 on: April 26, 2022, 05:32:11 pm »

You need better quality breadboards...   :box:

Like these... :box:

or even

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/prototyping-use-small-perfboards-instead-of-solderless-boards-just-do-it!/msg4069324/#msg4069324
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 05:39:50 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, Mortymore, ch_scr, syau

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #118415 on: April 26, 2022, 05:35:37 pm »
A score. Not quite TE but definitely useful. A 500 watt work light. Was left by a prior tenant in landlord's garage. He put it out on the road with a free sign. I snatched it up. Didn't work at first. Bad crimp by the switch plus the lamp socket needed tightening. Works a treat now. Yes, that mofo gets REAL hot real quick.

When you absolutely, positively need to see what you are doing.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #118416 on: April 26, 2022, 06:26:40 pm »
...and want to get a tan...

Like my tube audio amps, nice in winter, less so in the warmer months.  Sizzle, burn!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #118417 on: April 26, 2022, 06:48:04 pm »
Hmm, I have only four scopes:

- one 2465B
- one THS 720A
- one RTB 2004 100MHz
- one Yokogawa DL 1200A

And that's all.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118418 on: April 26, 2022, 06:58:16 pm »

mnem

Did you even bother reading the messages I wrote about Siglent ?  :palm:

No, you just unfold your narrative again, without even reading anything I say. If you say that you did read them, you are either lying or don't know how to read.. I am totally speechless  :palm:

Never mind, we are used to your way of doing things, not surprised in the slightest....  ::)
Yes, I did read your statements. And you did sound pretty dismissive.  :-//

There was no personal attack, no offense intended; purely observation.

mnem
TL/DR: chill, dood. I wasn't coming for you.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 09:27:05 pm by mnementh »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #118420 on: April 26, 2022, 07:24:30 pm »
 :wtf:

The 34401A I was planning to send a certain German tinkerer. Decided to... well, just work. Can't just sell it or Murphy would have my ass. So I'm gonna use it as a daily driver for a bit. If she remains true, I can find her a new home...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #118421 on: April 26, 2022, 07:33:57 pm »
w2aew: Using a Transistor Curve Tracer as an Octopus I/V Tracer or Huntron Tracker

Must resist ... but I already have lots of other devices on my want need list.

Your not helping ... you're welcome!

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118422 on: April 26, 2022, 07:35:40 pm »
scopes?

hp 1740a  2ea
hp 1746a
hp 54502a
hp 54504a
hp 54601a
hp 54622d
tek 2336

so i only have eight.   that makes me a lightweight.

a freakin' feather merchant.

oh......wait a second.  do the fluke 97 and digilent analog discovery 2 count?

that would make 10.

what do i use most often?   the 54502.  why?  don't know. maybe because it is HP, cool as batshit, and i like spinning the big knob and pushing lots o buttons?

what do i use least often.  the tek.  why?  because it is a damn tek.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 09:02:01 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118423 on: April 26, 2022, 07:37:29 pm »
Do these connectors fit for an old HP3400A?

If the [hp] is made in what was then West Germany, yes, they probably fit. I've got a Model 400h VTVM made in the early Bundesrepublik that takes that connector.

It's an US one.

Then you need a PH-163 as Cubdriver wrote; the Heizgerätestecker won't do. Good luck. I've got two, one with my 5221 and one with my 200CDR. I also have about 100 ordinary C13 cables. And a batch of Heizgerätestecker, which still can be bought as NOS. (A lot of toasters, waffle irons and other appliances here take the connector, so there is a large non-TE "vintage chic" market. )

I've got loads of German built hp, none have that Heizgerätestecker, they either have the PH-163 for the 1960s build units and fixed power cords for the older ones. The odd connector most have been a custom order or a fixed cord/PH-163 inlet that got replaced.

P.S. last time that 3DP connector was mentioned, I thought the crimp connectors used were crap, need to be proper split spring type, the male molex type crimp has the split piece not the female one they used. Have bought the odd one that was bodged with crimps and they were always a sloppy fit.

P.P.S. I seem to recall the IEC version of the 3400A has the voltage selector slightly higher, to clear the inlet, I might still have the IEC rear panel from the donor unit, that I scrapped to repair several others.

David
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:42:50 pm by factory »

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #118424 on: April 26, 2022, 07:46:17 pm »

Bench DMMs are on pause while looking for HP power meter sensors, more nixxie tube devices and a counter good to 500 MHz ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf