Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17733450 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117950 on: April 20, 2022, 03:11:01 pm »
*cringes so loudly you can hear it all the way over there in Frogtopia*   

...So for only 8 Euros I get 6 more of these switches, including two of these hard to come by push buttons.

I say good deal  8)

I feel I have now a growing fetish for these switches... I must refrain from buying them all... think I have enough of them now...

Welcome to Component Fetish Club:-DD

mnem

And finally... What's better than Mandingo Fan 200 for 6 dollars...? 2 more for $8 each. Sadly, this was not a half-price day.   ???

No, I still have no idea what I'm going to do with them. I think I may have a fan fetish...  :o

mnem
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 03:21:49 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117951 on: April 20, 2022, 03:26:54 pm »
Vince... dude... I just cringe whenever you say that...

This is a tranny:      Also a tranny:      NOT a tranny:   

mnem
I know it seems weird, especially coming from the resident "pervy widdle dwagon-fancier" over here... but please.... have mercy on this old PSB. ;)

I am surprised, I have always seen transistors referred to affectionately as tranny / trannies ?!  :-//
Same for transformers.

What am I missing ?  :-//

Vince, call them what you want. The problem is the dragon can't get the first picture out of his head.  :P :P :P :-DD

Maybe I should post the 80 year old stripper.

Out of his head? His problem is getting her out of the spare room!

And I differ on the naming of the last variety of tranny, look this OC71 is even wearing a little black dress.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, capt bullshot

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #117952 on: April 20, 2022, 03:37:09 pm »

Out of his head? His problem is getting her out of the spare room!

And I differ on the naming of the last variety of tranny, look this OC71 is even wearing a little black dress.

With some investigation, you'll find them wearing see-thru lingerie under that little black dress.

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117953 on: April 20, 2022, 03:37:13 pm »
What am I missing ?  :-//

The fact that they aren't.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117954 on: April 20, 2022, 03:38:21 pm »
Dwagon, no, looks like I am not losing it. Check out Wikipedia :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tranny_(disambiguation)

It confirms what I said, tranny is used for both transistors and transformers alike.

I don't see how I could possibly have invented something like this anyway... I get all my electronic "education" from EEVblog...
Vince, I didn't say you invented it... only that it's a horrible way of using the term, and it makes me cringe.  :palm:

My gripe with the term is right there in the Wiki article header: DISAMBIGUATION.

The term could mean entirely too many different things, and is entirely context-dependent... and even that article does not support the use of the term for the actual transistor itself, but rather for a device which uses transistors... So now we're discussing 3 potential meanings that are actually all in the same electronics engineering context.  |O

Yeeeeahhh... okay. I give up on this one. There's no making sense of the urge to use slang, or how specifically it gets used.

"Pick  your battles, son..." my mom usedta warn me... *SMH*

mnem
"It's like tryin' to drink whiskey... from a bottle of wine..." ~Sir Elton
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 04:51:23 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117955 on: April 20, 2022, 03:40:09 pm »

It confirms what I said, tranny is used for both transistors and transformers alike.

I don't see how I could possibly have invented something like this anyway... I get all my electronic "education" from EEVblog...

Yet another example of the nonsense dished out on Wikipedia.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #117956 on: April 20, 2022, 03:53:40 pm »
why do I have to think of FrankNFurter and the Rocky Horror Picture Show when reading this thread ?
Wikipedia is BS. Just because somewhat wrote something there does not mean that this something is true or accurate.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, duckduck, Peter_O, Neper

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117957 on: April 20, 2022, 03:54:51 pm »
Also, lots of people, in heavy rain, will put their hazard lights on which is illegal.

It is indeed illegal in many countries.

Still worse are those folks who will switch on their rear fog light at the first drop of rain and, as if that weren't bad enough, then forget to turn it off again.

And, just as being a bad driver is no valid reason for turning your hazard lights on, being a c_nt is no handicap:

[ Specified attachment is not available ]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 04:18:44 pm by Neper »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117958 on: April 20, 2022, 04:08:29 pm »
why do I have to think of FrankNFurter and the Rocky Horror Picture Show when reading this thread ?

Probably because of things like this:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117959 on: April 20, 2022, 04:39:13 pm »
Or perhaps, just like most enginerds, her mind is not only in the gutter, but owns a gutter-side summer cottage with lounge-chairs and a cooler full of Mohitos where it spends most of her non-working hours...  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 04:51:53 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117960 on: April 20, 2022, 04:42:04 pm »
Here's one that'll make all of you across the pond cringe...  :P

When I was a teen, there was an ad from one of those music compilation whore-mongers for a collection from the "British Invasion". After the noisy hype and the interminable yet inevitable scroll of individual song titles that were supposed to tempt and titillate, they'd end the commercial with this:

"...so don't delay; pick up the telly and give us a jingle right NOW!!!"

At certain times of the afternoon and evening, this ad was the anchor slot (and sometimes the leader slot too... )  in literally every commercial break for hours on end.  :scared:

mnem
I'm cringing involuntarily right now just from decades-old operant conditioning... :o
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 04:43:53 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Neper

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117961 on: April 20, 2022, 04:49:49 pm »
With some investigation, you'll find them wearing see-thru lingerie under that little black dress.

And if you're really paying attention, you'll note that this little trannie transistor appears to have gone all the way to transgender, with the full meatware modification as well. :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to nuke some linear actuators*
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 04:53:55 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Offline TaylorD93

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117962 on: April 20, 2022, 05:15:14 pm »
Scored a TTI TS3022S 2 channel PSU today from work being thrown out.

Usual TTI Linear PSU, but has LCD 7 segments instead of the LED type on my PL320 PSU. Still 30V 2A 2 channel, label said "faulty mains switch". Not the case at all, someone had fitted an IEC socket, badly wired with only a few strands intact! cut it off and a new UK plug fitted... fine!

Only remaining issue is the "output" switch on the 2nd channel has been removed, not sure why, but that is the DC out switch so i doubt they meant this switch, the hole has a Calibration label over it, so its not a recent omission from the PSU.

Just need to find a DPDT switch to fit the panel. or possibly a BoM online and dig out the actual Part number.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, BILLPOD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #117963 on: April 20, 2022, 05:37:24 pm »
Scored a TTI TS3022S 2 channel PSU today from work being thrown out.

Congratulations! The TTi PSUs are nice. I was gifted one from work, too. Mine has a slight bezel chip taken out, 7-segment LED metering, and channel 2  sometimes needs a good virtual whack to start supplying current; the ON button must be toggled a few times before it starts working . But it works very well, as soon as it's running.

I'm now so well supplied with supplies that I've started searching for a higher voltage one, perhaps a 6209A or so.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 10:10:48 pm by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: TaylorD93

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117964 on: April 20, 2022, 05:55:19 pm »

Vince, I didn't say you invented it... only that it's a horrible way of using the term, and it makes me cringe.  :palm:

Oh OK. Your message sounded to me like you didn't know about the EE use of tranny, so I was just justifying my use of it.

Too bad if if it makes you cringe... you can't keep every one else from using it.

Quote from: mnementh
My gripe with the term is right there in the Wiki article header: DISAMBIGUATION.
The term could mean entirely too many different things, and is entirely context-dependent... and even that article does not support the use of the term for the actual transistor itself, but rather for a device which uses transistors... So now we're discussing 3 potential meanings that are actually all in the same electronics engineering context.  |O

A word having different meanings ? How is that a new thing ?! Since when is it a problem ?! :-//

A that rate, please stop saying " I am right. PERIOD. " 
Because "period to me means something disgusting that has nothing to do with grammar or EE".

Do I cringe every time someone write "Period". No... I don't care, the English language is the way it is, there is no point bitching about this or that particular aspect of it.  :-//

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117965 on: April 20, 2022, 05:58:00 pm »

I don't see what Wikipedia has anything to do with the use of Tranny in the EE filed. They have not created this use, only documenting an existing use.  :-//

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #117966 on: April 20, 2022, 07:09:19 pm »

I don't see what Wikipedia has anything to do with the use of Tranny in the EE filed. They have not created this use, only documenting an existing use.  :-//

I don't mind you using this word in this meaning.

Nevertheless, I've known a person saying "Kondi" to "Kondensator" (a similar shorted form like trannie fo transistor) - that always left me with the feeling "this person has no knowledge of electronics" (which was true to some extent). So someone saying similar shorted words to components (execpt the well established ones like "Poti" ,"Trafo" or "Elko") always leaves me with the feeling "this one isn't a real electronics person" - or what might be the motivation to introduce baby speech into serious engineering.

So to me, using "trannie" for "transistor" is plain wrong - though I'm not necessarily right with that.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117967 on: April 20, 2022, 07:20:06 pm »
Nixie DMM update

I replaced both trannies in the trigger circuit. Looked in my stock for trannies with a similar round metallic package. First one I found was a 2N2905A.
Looked up the datasheet. PNP general purpose. current, voltage, hFE, speed... all better than the Germanium trannies.

Checked them with the tester before soldering them on the board, just in case... at the same time checked pinout. Same as the Germanium ones so can't go wrong.

Powered up the thing... no change. Still won't generate a trigger signal. Trigger circuitry still shows zero sign of life.
So...some other component in there must be bad...  :-//

OK, progress !

After some more playing, I felt there was some indication of a capacitive effect : assume the counter is free running. I then short the comparator output to stop it from free running. Now I power off the meter. Then power it back up immediately. Meter wakes up NOT free running. It survived the 2 seconds during which it was powered off. I did that 20 times in a row, never misses a beat. But, if I power off the meter and wait for a short while, just a few seconds, like 10/15, then upon re-applying power, the counter wakes up free running ! Works every time. So there was a pattern there, it seemed.

So I replaced a couple 100nF film caps on the board, see below. One is in the trigger circuit, on the right hand side input, the one solicited by the push-button when using Manual trigger. I assume it must be used to debounce the push-button. So not a very critical application, but well, replaced it anyway.
Second cap, identical one, is the one that does the RC differentiation to generate / derive the Reset pulse, from the output of the trigger circuit. That one I had more hopes about.

Well that fixed it ! Trigger circuit now works as it should, both Manual and Auto modes, and the ramp generator is now back to life as a consequence... which now allows the meter to take measurements !
In short : Vince 1, Meter 0  :box:

However, once I had pulled the caps, I tested them on the Chinese meter, and they were both fine. I also did a leak test with my lab power supply, recreating the sort of voltages that the caps are subjected to on the board... and they don't leak anything. Under 30Volts, one leaks zero, and the other like 50nA....
So not sure what's going on here... maybe the caps as such were not bad... but their solder joints needed some freshening up, and that's what I did when I desoldered them ?

I am tempted to put the old caps back on, and chances are it would still work !  :palm:

I now can't get the counter to free run anymore. Might come back to haunt me soon I bet, but for now, it looks like I was right. The problem was most likely a dodgy reset due to a failed trigger circuit.
We shall see how long it stays working...

So... that means that replacing these two Germanium 2N1305 trannystors with basically the first random silicon PNP I picked in my drawers, a 2N2905A... works just fine !  :-DD
A bloody 2N2905A.... there you go !  >:D

« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 07:51:40 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, factory, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #117968 on: April 20, 2022, 07:32:41 pm »
Also, lots of people, in heavy rain, will put their hazard lights on which is illegal. 

I've always been of the mind that drivers who use hazard lights illegally or incorrectly are nevertheless using them appropriately. The lights are there to warn others of a hazard, in this case the driver of the vehicle in question.

No truer statement was spoken for here in Florida, where in some parts of the state, the average age of the drivers is dead.  People so short they look through the steering wheel, turn signals on for miles and God forbid you meet them in the stores.  They will run you flat with their electric carts like you don't even exist.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117969 on: April 20, 2022, 07:37:04 pm »
Nixie DMM update

I replaced both trannies in the trigger circuit. Looked in my stock for trannies with a similar round metallic package. First one I found was a 2N2905A.
Looked up the datasheet. PNP general purpose. current, voltage, hFE, speed... all better than the Germanium trannies.

Checked them with the tester before soldering them on the board, just in case... at the same time checked pinout. Same as the Germanium ones so can't go wrong.

Powered up the thing... no change. Still won't generate a trigger signal. Trigger circuitry still shows zero sign of life.
So...some other component in there must be bad...  :-//

OK , progress !

After some more playing, I felt there was some indication of a capacitive effect : assume the counter is free running. I then short the comparator output to stop it from free running. Now I power off the meter. Then power it back up imemdiately. Meter wakes up NOT free running. It survived the 2 seconds during which it was powered off. I did that 20 times in a row, never misses a beat. But, if I power off the meter and wait a short while, just a few seconds, like 10/15 , then upon re-applying power, the counter wakes up free running ! Works every times. So there was a pattern there, it seemed.

So  I replaced a couple 100nF film caps on the board, see below. One is in the trigger circuit, on the right hand side input, the one solicited by the push button when using Manual trigger. I assume it must be used to debounce the push-button. So not a very critical application, but well, replaced it anyway.
Second cap, identical one, is the one that does the RC differentiation to generate / derive the Reset pulse, from the output of the trigger circuit. That one I had more hopes about.

Well that fixed it ! Trigger circuit now works as it should, both Manual and Auto modes, and the ramp generator is now back to life as a consequence... which now allow the meter to take measurements !
In short : Vince 1, Meter 0  :box:

However, once I had pulled the caps, I tested them on the Chinese meter, and they were both fine. I also did a leak test with my lab pwoer supply, recreating the sort of voltages that the caps are subjected to on the board... and they don't leak anything. Undr 30Volts, one leaks zero, and the other like 50nA....
So not sure what's going on here... maybe the caps as such were not bad... but their solder joints needed some freshening up, and that's what I did when I desoldered them ?

I am tempted to put the old caps back on, and chances are it would now work !  :palm:

I now can't get the counter to free run anymore. Might come back to haunt me soon I bet, but for now, it looks like I was right. The problem was most likely a dodgy reset due to a failed trigger circuit.
We shall see how long it stays working...

So... that means that replacing these two Germanium 2N1305 trannystors with basically the first silicon PNP I picked in my drawers, a 2N2905A... works just fine !  :-DD
A bloody 2N2905A.... there you go !  >:D

Well done Vince.
The capacitor reading 50nA is not OK. It might be OK for an electrolytic but not for a film capacitor. Its like a 1.5M resistor in parallel

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117970 on: April 20, 2022, 07:42:24 pm »

I don't mind you using this word in this meaning.

Nevertheless, I've known a person saying "Kondi" to "Kondensator" (a similar shorted form like trannie fo transistor) - that always left me with the feeling "this person has no knowledge of electronics" (which was true to some extent). So someone saying similar shorted words to components (execpt the well established ones like "Poti" ,"Trafo" or "Elko") always leaves me with the feeling "this one isn't a real electronics person" - or what might be the motivation to introduce baby speech into serious engineering.

So to me, using "trannie" for "transistor" is plain wrong - though I'm not necessarily right with that.

I think that's unfair.. tranny is just a short because native English speakers find it easier / quicker to write/type than tran - sis - tor or trans - for - mer or trans - mi -ssion or whatever else it might stand for.
Just like people say "pot" instead of "potentiometer". The latter hardly looks like the former, yet everybody uses that short... because well, the only ones that even know what a potentiometer is to begin with, are also EE people. The average joe can't even say "pot" as short, because they don't even know the real / full word that it replaces.

So... really I find it unfair to call an EE person clueless simply because he uses shorts. Every body in every field in every language and country, uses shorts... because it's practical, that's all.

Did a quick search on TEA thread, looks like Tautech and AVGresponding both used "tranny", yet I don't recall them being frowned upon like I am today.
Also both are from different country, and both native English speakers, and both I think one would admit, know a thing or two about electronics. At least they well know what a transistor is   >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #117971 on: April 20, 2022, 08:04:03 pm »
Did a quick search on TEA thread, looks like Tautech and AVGresponding both used "tranny", yet I don't recall them being frowned upon like I am today.
Also both are from different country, and both native English speakers, and both I think one would admit, know a thing or two about electronics. At least they well know what a transistor is   >:D
Really, did I ?  :-//
Like you Vince I probably used it where there was little chance it would be confused with a steel cored copper wound component or some other 2 legged gender thingy however I do approve of your new trannystors and hope it makes it to common Wiki usage.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117972 on: April 20, 2022, 08:22:13 pm »
OK I will try and patent Trannystor while I still can, and hopefully get rich in a few years !  >:D

Yep you like trannies too according to the search engine :

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3974195/?topicseen#msg3974195

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2463675/#msg2463675

I see that Spec does too ! Again a native English speaker.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg4081501/#msg4081501

HOWEVER... search engine also clearly shows that 99% of occurrences on TEA for trannies, are due to me alone.

Oh well... Mnem loves dragons, why wouldn't I be allowed to like trannies ?!  :-DD

I know.. I will short it further to just "TR"...  >:D

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117973 on: April 20, 2022, 08:50:42 pm »
I actually like Trannysistor... that is comedy gold right there.  :-DD

And it's not like the ol' tinkerdwagon is any stranger to the occasional neologism.  ;)

mnem
 :clap:

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117974 on: April 20, 2022, 08:58:13 pm »

I don't see what Wikipedia has anything to do with the use of Tranny in the EE filed field. (tiny cringe ;)) They have not created this use, only documenting an existing use.  :-//

But they didn't document the use you quoted them as an example of. More like pretty much every other imaginable use BUT that one, actually. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf