Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18113797 times)

Carl_Smith and 65 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117850 on: April 18, 2022, 08:58:18 pm »
Heads up for you UK based tool lovers, this week Lidl's are featuring while stocks last, Plasma cutter for just £119.99, a bandsaw for £99.99 and a bench grinder for £21.99, go and grab your choice.
Mmmmmhmmmmm... looks like a fine selection from their "These tools consume 12 watts or less" product line...  :-DD

mnem
"Power ratings are estimates. Your use case may vary." :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117851 on: April 18, 2022, 09:07:56 pm »
One must say that help is sought and found on TE topics outside of this thread on the EEV forum too. A forum member contacted me about the Unigor 6e based on some post of mine here or elsewhere. He asked whether I have a circuit diagram with component values or a BoM for the instrument. Unfortunately, I had to negate this. Incidentally, I had already worried about the very same issue, because of the problem with the R and C ranges found during checkout with the DMMcheck. Some days later, the member came back to me and told me that he ha found someone on the forum who, after having had the same problem, actually bought and digitized the service manual. He had already cleared with this user that I would be allowed to contact the holder of the document. So now I have those values and I will discuss with the latter guy whether it could find it's way onto one of the known servers.
 :-+

On a completely unrelated topic, I was reminded somehow that in my toolcase #1 resides one of the most useless DMMs produced by Fluke, i.e. a model 79-III. I bought it NOS when I found out that the Fluke 87 did not take the compression in this case well, which was the reason for the re-occurence of the dislocated LCD problem. The thought behind was that this average DMM should be sufficient in this kit, as one of the dedicated T&M kits would be along often. But it irks me that it is missing the min/max function, which I deem critical. I will probably replace it by a Fluke 115 and gain a bit of space as well. So if anyone does have a craving for a Fluke 79-III when I will have aquired a replacement, you can call dibs.

My aquisition of the day is a sort of dummy load (N in, BNC out) from the company T&M research in Albuquerque NM.
They are known for their pulse current monitoring resitors and related items. It could of course be a dud, but for 13.52€ it would not hurt much. I also got a 6GHz LP filter from the same seller and I'm looking at some of his other items too, making it even more economical.
I'll let myself into the cookie jar, thanks..

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117852 on: April 18, 2022, 09:26:33 pm »
One thing I don't have (yet) is a logic analyser. I was set to look for the right offer of a Tektronix 1241 with a comprehensive set of accessories, because I know the instrument and I decided that it would be sufficient for my personal use. Now I read that my soon-to-be new scope can be directly coupled to a logic analyser of the Tek TLA5000 series. This is a huge fucker. If someone is able to offer me a magic cabinet of holding, I will gladly take it and not rat him out.  :palm:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117853 on: April 18, 2022, 10:38:46 pm »
I hope that I will be forgiven for dragging up the topic of EVs again, but I have a really good excuse.

It turns out that Robert Llewellyn (aka Red Dwarf's Kryten, also of Scrapheap Challenge fame) founded and runs a YouTube channel about EVs called Fully Charged. I tripped across his review of my BMW 330e when I was looking for some maintenance information (specifically how to really isolate all the batteries before diving in to wire in my dashcam).

So I thought, just for entertainment value, I'd watch Kryten reviewing my car. When it got five minutes in I thought to myself "I know that number plate". When I say my BMW 330e I really mean my BMW 330e. The one he borrowed from an Oxford BMW dealer to review is my actual car on its original number plate before the owner previous to me switched it to a vanity plate. A small, rather oddly connected world it is.

Here's the video:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Zucca, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117854 on: April 18, 2022, 11:00:33 pm »
I hope that I will be forgiven for dragging up the topic of EVs again, but I have a really good excuse.

It turns out that Robert Llewellyn (aka Red Dwarf's Kryten, also of Scrapheap Challenge fame) founded and runs a YouTube channel about EVs called Fully Charged. I tripped across his review of my BMW 330e when I was looking for some maintenance information (specifically how to really isolate all the batteries before diving in to wire in my dashcam).

So I thought, just for entertainment value, I'd watch Kryten reviewing my car. When it got five minutes in I thought to myself "I know that number plate". When I say my BMW 330e I really mean my BMW 330e. The one he borrowed from an Oxford BMW dealer to review is my actual car on its original number plate before the owner previous to me switched it to a vanity plate. A small, rather oddly connected world it is.

Here's the video:

Interestingly, I can get that same 54mpg out of my diesel car with relative ease and on a really long journey and light right foot, over 60mpg is possible.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117855 on: April 18, 2022, 11:31:21 pm »
Heads up for you UK based tool lovers, this week Lidl's are featuring while stocks last, Plasma cutter for just £119.99, a bandsaw for £99.99 and a bench grinder for £21.99, go and grab your choice.

NOOO not the plasma cutter.
That thing is fitted with a 16A plug and buried in the instructions it says it only meets RF emissions for industrial electrical installations and harmonics when you have some stupidly low supply impedance. Bascally it's non compliant. They get away with selling it retail be putting a 16A CEE plug on it. As it only draws about 10A most people will just stick a 13A plug on it and carry on oblivious to the interference they are causing :palm: :scared:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117856 on: April 19, 2022, 12:11:43 am »

NOOO not the plasma cutter.
That thing is fitted with a 16A plug and buried in the instructions it says it only meets RF emissions for industrial electrical installations and harmonics when you have some stupidly low supply impedance. Bascally it's non compliant. They get away with selling it retail be putting a 16A CEE plug on it. As it only draws about 10A most people will just stick a 13A plug on it and carry on oblivious to the interference they are causing :palm: :scared:
The manual I saw stated that it was an "A" class cutter and as such it meets the directive for both industrial and residential areas, but it also states "the plasma cutter can still result in electromagnetic disturbances in sensitive systems and devices."

So in my view much the same as any other device where an arc is being produced. YMMV.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117857 on: April 19, 2022, 02:45:01 am »
So good for jamming a speedtrap then...?  >:D

mnem
"I'm sorry, officer... this metal absolutely, positively had to be done cutting before I got to the grocery store."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117858 on: April 19, 2022, 09:03:37 am »
Last week we had temperatures as high as 27C. Right now it's 1C and raining. But earlier it was snow. Got about 2 inches on the ground. Catskills could get 6 - 8 inches. Adirondacks as much as 12 - 18 inches.  :o Winter just won't give up.  :palm:

Power flashed for a second just enough to mess up the clocks. FD just called out for a tree down on wires about 2 miles from here.

https://www.weather.gov/aly/winter#tab-1

Edit...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 09:09:57 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117859 on: April 19, 2022, 09:19:26 am »

Here's the video:

Don't think for one second that this won't happen with an EV.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117860 on: April 19, 2022, 09:45:15 am »
True, but almost every EV will not allow you to leave park, and put the vehicle into active mode, before unplugging the charge cable, and the vehicle confirming the cable is disconnected and the door is closed. Simple interlock that is part of the specification for the charging system. Plug the cable in and the vehicle will also immediately stop the drivetrain and park itself.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117861 on: April 19, 2022, 09:50:43 am »

You can tell its a woman...how?.....the only mirror she uses is the interior mirror to check her makeup is OK, door mirrors, nah  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117862 on: April 19, 2022, 09:53:55 am »
Plug the cable in and the vehicle will also immediately stop the drivetrain and park itself.

Waiting to see an action movie scene where one plugs a fake charger to immobilize somebody else's car.   ;D
For maximum scenic effect it can be during a high speed chase on a highway!   8) 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117863 on: April 19, 2022, 11:04:32 am »
Visited mum last Sunday. She told me how this old TV has been taking up space for many many many years in the room in the basement of her building, where people go to hang their clothes to dry them.

I said mum, because I am a good son , I will solve your problem, and do so right away, I will take it home with me !!  ;D

So I did.

I just love old CRT TVs/monitors, lots of good things to salvage. Tactile switches, IR receiver, beefy caps, nice ceramic power resistors, little speakers, RCA and headphones connectors, big power switch, a piece of shielded audio cable, some  Torx 20 screws, X2 caps, beefy diodes... some enameled wire... I love old TV's.

This one is not that old in the grand scheme of things... made by Thomson, flat 21" tube, video composite inputs at the front, and taken apart in just 5 minutes / easy construction.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 11:26:09 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117864 on: April 19, 2022, 11:06:58 am »

You can tell its a woman...how?.....the only mirror she uses is the interior mirror to check her makeup is OK, door mirrors, nah  :-DD :-DD :-DD

I know a woman who did this. But it was a green Saturn, not a BMW.  |O ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117865 on: April 19, 2022, 11:07:27 am »
Much likelier scenario will be that we hear about it being some safety recall after multiple incidents where a moisture-induced sensor fault caused a "disorderly shutdown of the vehicle" at highway speed in some particular model of vehicle.

Pretty much inevitable, actually, given all of large industry's tendency to race to the bottom in everything.
  :o

mnem
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 07:31:41 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117866 on: April 19, 2022, 11:08:53 am »
Visited mum last Sunday. She told me how this old TV has been taking up space for many many many years in the room in the basement of her building, where people go to hang their clothes to dry them.

I said mum, because I am good son , I will solve your problem, and do so right away, I will take it home with me !!  ;D

So I did.

I just love old CRT TVs/monitors, lots of good things to salvage. Tactile switches, IR receiver, beefy caps, nice ceramic power resistors, little speakers, big power switch, a piece of shielded audio cable, some  Torx 20 screws, X2 caps, beefy diodes... some enameled wire... I love old TV's.

This one is not that old in the grand scheme of things... made by Thomson, flat 21" tube, video composite inputs at the front, and taken apart in just 5 minutes / easy construction.

What are you gonna do with the CRT?

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117867 on: April 19, 2022, 11:10:55 am »

I said mum, because I am good son , I will solve your problem, and do so right away, I will take it home with me !!  ;D

So I did.

I just love old CRT TVs/monitors, lots of good things to salvage. Tactile switches, IR receiver, beefy caps, nice ceramic power resistors, little speakers, big power switch, a piece of shielded audio cable, some  Torx 20 screws, X2 caps, beefy diodes... some enameled wire... I love old TV's.

Well as always, all the remains, the CRT and plastic cabinet will obviously go to the scrap yard for recycling as soon as it opens up at 14H30, in an hour or so. In the mean time I am having lunch...

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #117868 on: April 19, 2022, 11:55:22 am »

I know a woman who did this. But it was a green Saturn, not a BMW.  |O ;D

I am gonna hang my head in shame on this one, but I did this with my company van 2 years ago.  In a hurry and needed something to eat to raise my blood sugar, I just forgot.  Someone caught me at the light right out of the gas station to let me know what I did.  Company made me take a drug test, no worries there, only legal prescribed drugs in my system. |O |O |O :palm: :palm: :palm:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117869 on: April 19, 2022, 12:23:10 pm »

So I did.

Well as always, all the remains, the CRT and plastic cabinet will obviously go to the scrap yard for recycling as soon as it opens up at 14H30, in an hour or so. In the mean time I am having lunch...
Too bad...

*CoughRetroArcadeCough*

No, seriously... before you scrap any of it destructively, check with Saskia. She may have a arcade cabinet that can be retrofit to 21" CRT... and a low-years CRT is a beautiful thing.  ;)

mnem
 :-/O

« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 12:28:26 pm by mnementh »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117870 on: April 19, 2022, 01:07:39 pm »
Last week we had temperatures as high as 27C. Right now it's 1C and raining. But earlier it was snow. Got about 2 inches on the ground. Catskills could get 6 - 8 inches. Adirondacks as much as 12 - 18 inches.  :o Winter just won't give up.  :palm:

Power flashed for a second just enough to mess up the clocks. FD just called out for a tree down on wires about 2 miles from here.

https://www.weather.gov/aly/winter#tab-1

Edit...

Yeah same here. snow has been gone for weeks and now we have 10cm on the ground. Kids are happy though. They think Christmas is back  :)

Hehe I was thinking of starting the pool yesterday  :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 01:16:18 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117871 on: April 19, 2022, 01:11:08 pm »

I can't speak for any others, but mine at least has the good sense to lock out the ignition if it senses a plug inserted in the charging port. Which goes on to force the question - why don't fossil fuel only vehicles also have a filler cap/flap interlock with the ignition? (The answer of course is that it would cost 50p to include on a vehicle and as any damage from driving off with the fuel hose still in place is an externality the auto manufacturer's cost accountants don't give a flying one.)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117872 on: April 19, 2022, 01:20:36 pm »
Still in the automotive vein, a useful bit of test gear that it occurs to me some might not know of the existence of:

This lets you pull an ATO fuse from a vehicle fuse box and replace it with a multimeter in current mode. The fuse you pulled goes in the side, still in circuit, for continued circuit protection. This one's from Voltcraft (Conrad's own brand) and is model MS-4. They also make a model MS-4S which is identical but takes automotive 'mini' fuses.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, exor, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117873 on: April 19, 2022, 01:26:25 pm »

I can't speak for any others, but mine at least has the good sense to lock out the ignition if it senses a plug inserted in the charging port. Which goes on to force the question - why don't fossil fuel only vehicles also have a filler cap/flap interlock with the ignition? (The answer of course is that it would cost 50p to include on a vehicle and as any damage from driving off with the fuel hose still in place is an externality the auto manufacturer's cost accountants don't give a flying one.)

Well there is a "check" of sorts but not an outright interlock. The fuel system is supposed to be closed so any fuel vapors are returned to the fuel tank. If you forget to install the fuel cap the evap system senses that and will flag it with a check engine light with usually a P0440 code on OBD-II systems. But since most folks ignore check engine lights and regard it as an "annoyance" because the vehicle still runs "fine" the result is what you see.   

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117874 on: April 19, 2022, 01:28:03 pm »
So now I'm stuck in, waiting for:

Yes, my free Keysight scope is finally getting delivered today. That is providing DHL don't stuff it up.

It's frustrating because this is all happening on someone else's schedule, so it's coming when I'm short of time to play with it. So when it does arrive all I'm going to get to do is unbox it, power it up, have the most minimal play and then have to put it away until I've got time (and cleared some space) to have a proper delve.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf