Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17747860 times)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117450 on: April 12, 2022, 08:45:58 am »

The nixies used are interesting in that they're dual anode tubes - odd digits on one anode and even digits on the other.

Hmmmm, like my Ferisol counter then !

Not knowing why such tubes even existed to begin with, I asked my old friend, if he had any idea. Not only did he know, but the answer was nothing I could have guessed on my own for sure.

He said back then it was a requirement from the military who, for reasons of ease of maintenance on the filed, required the tubes to be easy to remove and put on Noval sockets. Multiplexing the odd and even digits was the only way tube makers found to reduce the numbers of pins to satisfy this requirement...

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117451 on: April 12, 2022, 08:56:52 am »
Found the perfect spot for the Tek display. Viewable from anywhere in the room. It also functions as a night light so the boogie man doesn't scare me.  :P :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117452 on: April 12, 2022, 09:14:33 am »
A digital power analyzer for the Panaplex fans, US only auction*
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353993185981

That looks broken, too many dots on and I guess they didn't make a model with a binary display.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117453 on: April 12, 2022, 09:28:14 am »

Sounds like you sorted, the replacements we used at work were the DPDT ones too if I remember correctly. Apparently I have a used one too, just can't get to the rack, those 1/4W 180Ω resistors are mocking me too  |O, as I wanted that size yesterday for the Tek 422, no idea why they ended up with the switches.

Glad I could help !  :-DD

Quote from: factory
https://www.ebay.de/itm/275134533105

Seems some sellers have no idea that these tins were for the switches & not cancer causing substances.  :palm:

Oh yeah !  :-DD

However I found one ad here where the guy DOES know what he is selling... because the switches are still in there !
A full box of NOS mini push-buttons ! Don't need them RIGHT NOW, but might later who knows... if I had money to burn which I don't, I would buy it !  >:D

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/333165068383

That guy I just bought one SPST from :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/333773747983?hash=item4db677370f:g:r3oAAOSwildfnsWW

Just noticed a few minutes ago as I was checking ebay for this SECMA "cigarette" box.. that his ad is SITLL on-line ?! :wtf:
Only one explanation... yes, sure enough the guy had MORE than one for sale, and I didn't even pay attention to that when I ordered 2 days ago !  :palm:
Apparently he has still 6 of them... I have just sent him a message asking if he could make an ad for the entire lot so I can pay shipping only once.
At only 2 Euros a pop for a SPST, I MUST have them >:D

My Rochar counter alone uses 5 of these DJET switches ! And since I am now very fond of these old Rochard Nixie instruments, I guess I might well buy some more if the opportunity arises in the coming years. So... better stock on these switches when I can find some at a cheap price, me thinks...

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117454 on: April 12, 2022, 09:32:23 am »

Found the perfect spot for the Tek display. Viewable from anywhere in the room. It also functions as a night light so the boogie man doesn't scare me.  :P :-DD

What drives * my attention though is rather this big stand with a massive collection of screw drivers and bits... I didn't remember you had that...
Could do with something like that I guess...

* : yes, pun intended, I am ashamed to admit  :-//

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117455 on: April 12, 2022, 09:36:28 am »

What drives * my attention though is rather this big stand with a massive collection of screw drivers and bits... I didn't remember you had that...
Could do with something like that I guess...

* : yes, pun intended, I am ashamed to admit  :-//

It was a Christmas present from the Lady Cop. And I'm kinda at a loss as to where to put it for easy access so for now it sits on top of the printer.

Yes, I am running out of room for stuff.  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #117456 on: April 12, 2022, 09:52:21 am »
Nice... 80 bucks, 70 Euros maybe, made in Germany so cheap shipping for me I guess.

A potential next step ./ upgrade from my cheap Chinese AD584...

The github is here if you feel like building your own: https://github.com/circuitvalley/LM399_Voltage_reference

For most of us, I still believe the DMMCheck/DMMCheck+ is the best bang/buck, as it comes with a variety of standards to check pretty much all the modes of a common DMM.

IIRC, the consensus was that it is adequate reference for up to 4.5-5.5 digits, or as a transfer standard for higher...?

https://dmmcheckplus.com/technical-information#

mnem
 :-DMM

The DMMCheck is a nice instrument. I second the recommendation. I'd like to venture into higher voltages, though. More in terms of transfer standard than anything else, just so I can use my good multimeters with it to get an idea how wrong the lesser ones are.

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117457 on: April 12, 2022, 10:50:34 am »
Inspired by Dave's HP6643A video

I catched an 66xx from the boat anchor class.

It's a Agilent 6653A, delivering 35V 15A max.
Net weight 25kg.

Did a quick test with my 8A analogue load  :-DD

The accuracy of the current limit is not that bad.
S/N sticker says its from year 2000, looking inside I'm not totally conviced, it might be older in parts.

Trafo and cooling block are quite some armatures.
Defintely this guy is one to stack at the bottom.

There has been some repair or exchange of pcbs, as some cables carry handwriting. And there is a funny sticker on top of one of the caps:

Now I have to fetch a connector for the remote sensing etc.

Following this post a lot of you gave valuable hints towards Phoenix 5.0 or 5.08mm connectors, thx again to all of you.
Some might have been betting on my getting the measurement right.   :)

Here's the resolution: 5.08mm it is.

Finally I did not pay some 7 Euro for one connector but decided to get this box of 2,3, and 4 pin connectors: "beihuazi® PCB Screw Terminals 5.08 mm Straight Screw Terminal Block Plug-In Connection Blocks for PCB PCB Circuit Board Terminal Block 2EDG Socket?2 Pin 10 Pairs, 3 Pin 10 Pairs, 4 Pin 5 Pairs" for 11 Euros only.

They do fit perfectly fine and have a strong hold.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 10:52:39 am by Peter_O »

The following users thanked this post: THDplusN_bad, mnementh, wolfy007, ch_scr, cyclin_al, syau

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #117458 on: April 12, 2022, 12:13:30 pm »
Yeah, those connectors are a very popular Chinesium part, as the "Clone" ones are commonly used by 3DP manufacturers when they make a proprietary clone of the RAMPS family of controller boards. I just had no idea what search term to suggest.  :-//

Well, also, I didn't know if you'd be offended by the suggestion of molesting that hp beast with possibly crunky Chinesium bits.  ;)

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117459 on: April 12, 2022, 12:37:48 pm »
Well, also, I didn't know if you'd be offended by the suggestion of molesting that hp beast with possibly crunky Chinesium bits.  ;)

No. Chinesium is ok when it is ok. These ones are ok. I'd expected western branded ones to be produced in China too. Maybe they would order optimized coating of the contacts etc.
But as these ones are for playing around mostly and not planned to run 20 years in a critical production environment, and because they will not get part of the device itself, I hope it might be some kind of OKish to use these and stay TEA.    :scared:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #117460 on: April 12, 2022, 12:47:41 pm »
can you spare a 4 pin one ?

I could check if they also fit the N6700 power module outputs ...

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117461 on: April 12, 2022, 01:36:36 pm »
The connector in the N6700 base unit looks different to me.
It has kind of sepearting walls between the pins. In case the modules use the same type of connector it would not fit.

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117462 on: April 12, 2022, 01:42:13 pm »
Ah, I see. The modules are different.
https://www.mouser.de/images/marketingid/2017/img/154168604_Keysight-Technologies_N67xx-DC-Power-Modules.png
Give me a PN with your address, Saskia.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117463 on: April 12, 2022, 01:43:37 pm »
Hmmm... after looking at your kit and the product title, it appears this search term yields mostly the desired Phoenix MSTB family of pluggable connectors:

PCB Pluggable Terminal block 5.08 mm

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=PCB+Pluggable+Terminal+block+5.08+mm&crid=1JB0ARC0G1CE0&sprefix=pcb+pluggable+terminal+block+5.08+mm

Plug that CHSTR into your favorite shopping site and hopefully these will be a bit easier to find.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 01:50:11 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117464 on: April 12, 2022, 02:07:24 pm »
   The connector in the N6700 base unit looks different to me.

It has kind of separating walls between the pins. In case the modules use the same type of connector it would not fit.
That horrible grainy pic looks like Phoenix Contact BCP series.  :-DD  These are even more fun, as they come in 3.81mm, 5.0mm, and 5.8mm pitch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=phoenix+contact+bcp&source=lnms&tbm=isch

mnem
*toddles off to do something constructive*
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 02:08:58 pm by mnementh »

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #117465 on: April 12, 2022, 02:10:43 pm »
Following this post a lot of you gave valuable hints towards Phoenix 5.0 or 5.08mm connectors, thx again to all of you.
Some might have been betting on my getting the measurement right.   :)

Here's the resolution: 5.08mm it is.

Finally I did not pay some 7 Euro for one connector but decided to get this box of 2,3, and 4 pin connectors: "beihuazi® PCB Screw Terminals 5.08 mm Straight Screw Terminal Block Plug-In Connection Blocks for PCB PCB Circuit Board Terminal Block 2EDG Socket?2 Pin 10 Pairs, 3 Pin 10 Pairs, 4 Pin 5 Pairs" for 11 Euros only.

They do fit perfectly fine and have a strong hold.

Ooh, I got a 66xx PSU too. I like the dual knobs, one for volt, one for current (I also have a 6035A which frightens me a lot... 475V output!  :o  :-BROKE Perfect for prototyping tube circuits)

I made a video on adding front binding posts too, but unline Dave, I added sense terminals and a switch to select between internal and remote sensing.

Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #117466 on: April 12, 2022, 02:13:51 pm »
Also,

AWWWWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS!!!!

I found a source for a bunch of software for the TDS600/700 scopes! ;D
Hoping it eventuates, but I think I'll be in business with some fun times playing with these scopes as God intended soon.  :D

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  :scared: :clap:

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, wolfy007, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline TaylorD93

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117467 on: April 12, 2022, 02:15:25 pm »
Few weeks back my work were throwing out a 34401A as it had failed calibration, a number of errors 612, 613 614 and i think 621 too of the top of my head.

It had failed Calibration on all Resistance ranges and AC Volts range, Keysight who had tested it, said it was not financially viable to repair it. so advised us to just replace it wit ha 34461A instead. My manager agreed (he doesnt want any more 34401A's as we cannot buy them brand new anymore only used)

But what really caught my eye was it was a "Keysight" branded unit, so only a few years old at most. So company policy is that you put your name on it if you would like it, wait 2 weeks, then can take it home providing no one else has called dibs!

Opened it up, quick look over it, seems to be ok, although some parts appear to have been replaced already like the Ceramic chip, believe U102, with the precision resistors for the Ohms Current Source. But within a few minutes after reading a 34401A repair thread on here, i found it quickly being a dead AD706 (U201-B). Ive ordered a replacement from RS for £10.

Really hope that is the smoking gun, because £10 for a working 34401A... id say thats a pretty damn good Bargain :) doesnt matter that i already have a 3457A (not quite the 3458A admittedly)... But the 34401A has a VFD display haha

Well it seemed too good to be true. Ive changed U201, the number of failures have now dropped to 4. Errors 611 612 614 and 618. Before i had 7 failures. So it has helped. But not quite there yet.

will continue after working tonight and see what i can do in the morning!

Edit: Hoooooray!!!! I switched it off and went and had a cup of tea, posted this, then went back to it, i re-ran self test... Pass! I couldnt have given the IPA enough time to evaporate off.

This kind of makes sense as when i first powered it back up, i had more failures than before, and every few minutes i left it, the self test would "get better". Checking with my 3457A (not calibrated) the current readings seem to be pretty close to 1mA, 0.1mA etc for the current ranges.

Very happy person indeed
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 02:26:26 pm by TaylorD93 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, Kosmic, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #117468 on: April 12, 2022, 02:39:01 pm »
I wonder what blew up. Place your bets now!

https://youtu.be/IfxJk6D5syY

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Peter_O

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117469 on: April 12, 2022, 02:41:53 pm »

Can you add the smell?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #117470 on: April 12, 2022, 02:42:35 pm »

https://youtu.be/IfxJk6D5syY

R-R-R-RIFA! ;D

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, TaylorD93

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #117471 on: April 12, 2022, 02:54:37 pm »
just won a keithley 7001 unit on the evil marketplace. Hoping to get some inverter and VFD stuff out of it.
offer of 80$ was accepted ... VFD is shown operational in the photos ...
would be kind cool if it reVoved the silly money 2k1

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117472 on: April 12, 2022, 03:17:20 pm »

huh.   :o

mnem
*toddles off to make lunch*

The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117473 on: April 12, 2022, 03:29:57 pm »
just won a keithley 7001 unit on the evil marketplace. Hoping to get some inverter and VFD stuff out of it.
offer of 80$ was accepted ... VFD is shown operational in the photos ...
would be kind cool if it reVoved the silly money 2k1

I waited for ages for one of those to come up at  low price and none did. As far as I can tell they use the same inverter.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117474 on: April 12, 2022, 04:33:30 pm »

Nixie DMM repair update

Been working a bit on it last night, two aspects.

Free running counter when cold, issue

Sat down for a while, with the schematic and continuity tester on the board... was tedious but I located a few of the interesting test points for the gate logic.
Looks to me like the problem is not the gate logic nor the ramp, which means it must be the comparators.

Zero offset impossible to calibrate, issue

I posted the same pics as the other day to avoid re-uploading the same again and waste storage space on the forum...

As I mentioned in that last post, did investigate that suspicious  mundane looking 33k 5% resistor in the Zero-ing circuit of comparator 'A', which is supposed to be a precision 27K 2% instead.
I put a 150K resistor across it, so its value drops down to 27K. Result : next to nil. Offset drops a tiny bit, but really not significant at all, still way off. Hmmm....
So I got more aggressive.. much more. I placed a 33K in // with it,, effectively halving its resistance, 16.5K. Result ? Should be dramatic no ? No. Still next to no effect, offset still pretty much as high  !  :o
However, if I do the same test on the 27K resistor of the other comparator, 'B', the the offset goes through the roof and the meter overloads ! Which is more like what I would expect...

So there is something fishy with that Comparator 'A', I feel...

ALSO : there is another issue with this zero offset calibration. Not only does it never drop to a value low enough that it can be compensated/calibrated, but it also takes forever to settle.
I don't know how much it is when cold, because of the issue with the counter ftree running when cold... so I need to wait 10 or 15 minutes for the meter to stop free running and actually measure stuff... in order to measure the zero offset. But, when it does start to work, offset is like in the several hundred counts. Then it slowly, progressively decreases/get better. It's not linear : drops fast at first, then slows down more and more, like an exponential thing. After an hour or two it kinda settles for a bit under 100 counts. 75 something like that, Way more than 50 any way. Way more than the 5 or 10 counts grand max that it should be in order that it could be compensated/calibrated out.

BUT : when I swapped  the board for the good one.... board is dead cold of course, was lying on the bench... yet not only do I get ZERO offset, but I also get it INSTANTLY, no need to wait a minute or 10 or 2 hours ! No. Cold board, plug it in, fire up the meter, bang you get your zero offset, no questions asked.

Sooo... to me that's hint as well, isn't it. NOt only the offset way too high, but it's also decreasing over time, and over an abnormal amount of time. There is inertia in there. So... thermal effect again ?

So, adding 2+2 : the free running problem AND the offset problem, BOTH appear to involve the comparators, and also have a thermal/from cold timing aspect to them.
So, maybe the two issues are one and the same, both caused by some thermal related problem in one of the comparators.
I think I am getting somewhere there...

So, this means, if I am right of course, that I really need to focus on only one of these two issues, and it should kill both birds with the same stone.
So I can chose what bird to shoot at...and I choose to go for the offset problem. Why ? Because :

- It exhibits itself even when fully warmed up, so I get as much troubleshooting time as I need to, instead of just 5 or 10 minutes from cold. This way I can get much more troubleshooting in one day than I could in one month if concentrating on the cold start issue... so should allow me to fix this meter much quicker.

- I's easier to probe than the gate logic approach : less probe points to search for on the board, no need to have 4 probes attaches to the scope... just generally easier to work with I think.

So, let's look again at the schematic regarding the offset compensating path.

I am starting to feel that that 33k resistor, is not a problem, a nice find but a red herring because... the aim with these two resistors and the trim pot they are connected to, is to allow the use to compensate within a certain range. With the good board I can go about 10/15 counts below and above zero. About 25/30 counts lock to lock.
Well, with the faulty board... I get the same range also !

So I think this circuitry is fine and the problem is just a massive offset super imposed on that, that should not be there... and that seems to be thermal / tme related. huge at first then slowly settle to .. less huge but still way too high a value.

So let's look at the schematic and try to understand what components might be involved here ? Problem is... I am no analog engineer, so I am shooting in the dark and don't know much what I am talking about...

So I will do the best my pea brain can come up with, which is :

- We have a big leak, and this board uses Germanium trannies and diodes which I understand are notorious for being "leaky".
- We have slow thermal effect, exponential looking... exponential fits well with a PN junction, because well.. physics. Thermal effect too because well.. physic again, PB junctions are very sensitive to heat.. just stick a diode between your fingers, measure the voltage drop with your DMM and watch it vary in real time with ease...

So...  we are after a bad diode or transistors.

Let's try to narrow it down first.. the comparator is made of 7 trannies no less. However only the first 3 make up the comparator per se : two for the differential pair( S1 & S2), one for the current source in the tail (S4). The output of the differential pair then goes to another tranny for some amplification (S4), then it goes to a flip-flop made of two trannies (S5 & S6). Then the last one (S7) is connected to output of the flip-flop output, one of the anyway, and loops back to the emitter of the trannies of the diff pair. The manual says that when the comparator/flip-flop.... flips, this transistor conducts and it cuts the current in the diff par, so that the input current of meter is very low. How thoughtful.

So I guess if there is a leak, it must affect only the diff pair (S1/S2/S3), or possibly S4 too, also connected to the offset path.
So we could have either of these 4 trannies leaky, at first glance.
But what about diodes ? We have two in the vicinity. One type " OA95 " and one type " OA202 ". This one looks particularly interesting to me. Look, the annotation next to it reads " Triée ". Which is French for " Hand picked / Selected ). hmmm. why would one need to hand pick a freaking diode... what could be a sensitive part of the operation of this comparator / instrument that one would want to make sure this diode performs to some standard... what about.. zero calibration maybe ?!  ;D  Who knows.
However one can see that this diode is not connected to the zeroing/offset adjustment "part" of the comparator. Comparator input is twofold as you can see. One part is devoted to the zero-ing compensation, taken from the collector of the diff pair transistor S1, and the other, used to apply the signal to be measured, goes to the base of that same transistor, of course.

So that's another clue that the offset problem may NOT be coming from the compensation path, but rather coming from the MEASURING path, the base of S1 not the collector.

Hmmm.... I am starting to like that. it's starting to come together I feel, the pieces of the puzzle are starting to make sense to me....

Maybe that diode has too high a reverse bias current and disturbs the input/base of S1.

Yes.... I think I will look at that diode next. Could remove it, wire it up on a bread board and meausre it's reverse current. Then replace it with whatever, a 1N4148 as I have plenty, just to see if that makes any difference.

If that's not it, then I will look at the trannies S1 to S3 in the diff pair. I had a quick look on Ebay, found several sellers in Europe that have this transistor for sale. One of them sells 2 NOS ones for 20 Euros shipped. Might get that if I need to.

Anyway, making progress I think ?!  :-//

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 06:52:06 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, ch_scr, factory, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf